Start by marking “The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine

The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  59,902 ratings  ·  1,847 reviews
“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.” This thirst for an intimate relationship with God, claims A.W. Tozer, is not for a select few, but should be the experience of every follower of Christ.

Here is a masterly study of the inner life by a heart thirsting after God. Here is a book for every child of God, pastor, missionary, and
Published December 1st 1982 by Christian Publications (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of God, please sign up.
Shari In the 1993 edition, see the bottom of page 106 and the top of page 107 in Chapter 9. "The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his…moreIn the 1993 edition, see the bottom of page 106 and the top of page 107 in Chapter 9. "The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his own inferiority. ... He knows he is as week and helpless as God has declared him to be, but paradoxically, he knows that the same time that he is, in the sight of God, more important than angels."(less)

·  59,902 ratings  ·  1,847 reviews

Start your review of The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
Scott Stoinis
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holy-books
I bought this book for myself and was so moved by it that I reread it chapter by chapter often as my nightly devotional. I personally found it to be one of the best books to fill me with hope! This is the best edition of it available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-God-W-... ...more
Mike
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
First Review

I hesitate to call Tozer a theologian because his approach to Christianity and the practice of faith is very practical. He is very well read and often deals with theological topics but he typically scoffs any intellectual dealings with faith and puts forth his down to earth alternative.

The description of "down to earth" only goes so far, because Tozer is also very clearly a mystic. He focuses on experience, feeling and hearing God's voice as important to faith. He also emphasizes th
Kurt Nelson
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Broke down in tears reading one of Tozer's prayers. Praise God for the hour I spent reading part of it today, it was as if God was hear with me sharing the wisdom from the book! Incredible book that taught me to slow down and listen to God.
Fergus
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.W. Tozer says if we seek meaning in our lives by pursuing a Real, Living God, we will soon find the tables turned.

For so desirous is He of giving true meaning to anyone who seeks him, God will then start pursuing US.

For the rest of our lives.

We’ll try telling a barefaced lie - and God will hound us down. We’ll find a certain lady deucedly attractive - and He’ll shout, “now what in tarnation d’you think YOU’RE doing?” We’ll ask Him for a special favour - and He’ll heap it into our lap a HUNDR
Clark Goble
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My review of this book can be summed up in four words – it blew me away! Tozer identifies one of the major problems in our Church today. As a Church, we are creating a new breed of Christian who understands doctrine better than at any point in history yet fails to understand what it truly means to be a follower of Christ.

Having identified the problem, Tozer offers a beautiful solution that is more practical and mystical than theological. His book is an invitation for the the reader to seek God a
Angela Wallace
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I read this book over and over. It's the one I'd pick to have on a desert island. The way Tozer talks about faith and living the Christian life--he takes what religion has turned into complicated and noncommittal routines and returns to the blessed simplicity of what it means to pursue God, to fully engage your heart with His. I can't write a review that will do the book justice. It's a short one and can be read in one day, so see for yourself.
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”

In this beautiful, theologically accurate yet original and deep insight into the relationship of a Christian with God, A. W. Tozer forces the readers to question the intensity of our desire for Him, our will to always put Him first and the authenticity of our pursuit for His full presence in our everyday life. It is easy to feel the presence of God when we pray, worship or read the Scriptures, it's less eas
Douglas Wilson
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this many moons ago, and just now listened to it again. Very edifying book, with some brilliant sections.
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Tozer writes, "The modern scientist has lost God amid the wonders of His world; we Christians are in real danger of losing God amid the wonders of His Word." Discuss what you feel Tozer means by the second half of his statement.
I’m not sure, but I think he fears we are in danger of living too much by our head knowledge, which is indeed a real danger for christians. We accept with our mind the theological truths of the Bible, but do not show by our actions that we have truly taken them to heart.
G
ij
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, or those seeking knowledge about getting closer to God.
An interesting and inspirational guide for Christians seeking to get closer to God.

The book is public domain and is available free from many sources. I downloaded free, from Amazon, to my Kindle. I listened to it on LibriVox, also free, as I read on Kindle.

It is about a two (2) hour read.
Mike (the Paladin)
This book would/will/does require thought and a solid grounding in the Bible. I find the central theme to be of immense and transcendent value.

The theme dealt with has to do with the basic idea of "finding God" vs. "knowing God" vs. "growing in God"...

I could say a lot but as those reading this will be not only atheist vs. theist but also Christians of various denominations. There are places I must disagree with some of whats taught here, but that does not mean that I disagree with the basic po
Kristian Kilgore
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My fourth reading of this classic proves once again that it never fails to challenge, to encourage, and to satisfy. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. AW Tozer's genuine passion for God and to see others encounter and draw near to God is unmistakable. He is relentless with his courageous call for a life lived in opposition to nominal Christianity.

Casual, or common, Christianity is not a legitimate option in Tozer's view of things. The book is basically the author's attempt to walk throu
Jeanie
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every Christian should read this book. This book had clairification backed up with scripture. As I was reading, I had a longing in my heart. It's focus is on the Lord, not on what I can do better, or what I need to do, or need not do. It was about surrending and the importantance of knowing who God is. In my own walk with the Lord, I am amazed every year on what there is to know about the Lord, his character, his desires and how much I lack. This book is a freeing that it releases many lies that ...more
Chrissy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy, Terri
Shelves: christian-study
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time, and I am amazed that as I completed this book I wondered that had I read it sooner it would not have been as impacting. As is the way with God, timing is everything-perfect and precise.

I will warn this is not a casual read. I found myself reading and re-reading paragraphs over and over. He has a dizzying intellect and an ability to reach to the heart of things which often is no casual venture. My favorite sections regarded pride, God's inst
Anne
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Excellent book. Rich in theology and scripture, and also full of practical wisdom. It challenged and encouraged me and I highly recommend!
Drew Dixon
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the most fruitful and refreshing school assignments I've ever received. I have heard much talk of Tozer lately and now that I have read him I understand why. Every sentences drips with wisdom that has been soaked in much prayer. He writes beautifully and poetically. Such crafted language is beautiful enough to make one want to pursue God. Yet it is not the outer beauty of the writing that captures a person in this book, it is the passionate heart-filled exhortations which ov ...more
Rick Dugan
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Considering Tozer wrote this classic on an all night train from Chicago to Texas, I'm challenged to redeem the time I spend on airplanes!

This intensely spiritual yet practical book gets beyond emotive arguments for pursuing God. Tozer stimulates a hunger for God and teaches us to find him in various ways and placed. He kindles the fire so that we become dissatisfied to religious programs and orthodox theology alone. Nothing less than the presence of God will satisfy.

I was especially challenged
Bookish Ally
I would recommend this to any Christian. In fact, once I finished, I ran down to Barnes & Noble and bought 2 extra copies for friends.

I took my time to read it (4.5 months). Read it, shared excerpts with others, meditated on it.

This explores the importance of passion in seeking God by a man who lived with passion for God. It is so easy to get distracted by a noisy and demanding world and this book is spiritual succour

Kiel
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful little book is a must-read for every Christian. I will be rereading it again, hopefully in the near future. Tozer has a sensitive heart, but he also isn’t afraid to tell it like it is. I underlined and copied out many meaningful lines on which to meditate later. This book is a call to the heart of the believer to get back to the very basic gospel and to seek the Lord with all of oneself. Truly challenging and encouraging at the same time!
Gumble's Yard
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
A simple but powerfully written book, originally published in 1948, and which I read in 5 sessions for a weekly discussion with a Christian friend. The book eschews the complexities of theology for a simple and practical focus on the face and presence of God throughout our lives (putting other distractions aside).
Nancy Larimer
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer 1897-1963 is a non fiction inspirational Christian book. A.W. Tozer became a Christian after hearing a street preacher in Akron, Ohio. He was a self taught theologian. He was a pastor, writer, teacher . His books are often used by pastors in sermons. This book is considered a classic. It draws and shows the reader their need for a deeper relationship with God. It is well written and well respected in the Christian world. The book describes who God is and makes t ...more
Adam
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most profound books I’ve ever read was A.W. Tozer’s book The Pursuit of God. Even before I ever read this book and before I even heard of John Piper, God was already laying the foundations in my heart, teaching me the discipline of seeking Him.

“And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Hebrews 11:5 esv

When I first read The Pursuit of God it was like water to my dry soul. I h
Ashley
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, bible-study
"God is here when we are wholly unaware of it. He is manifest only when and as we are aware of his presence. On our part there must be surrender to the Spirit of God, for His work it is to show us the Father and the Son. If we cooperate with Him in loving obedience, God will manifest himself to us, and that manifestation will be the difference between a nominal Christian life and a life radiant with the Light of His face."

I am thankful for this book at this time in my life. I feel like it taugh
Brandon R
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If only 6 stars was an option.... I believe a must read for those whom the Lord has called into fellowship with him. This book places knowledge in its proper place and penetrates straight to the heart. Correct heart posture is our ONLY hope in pursuing God and his righteousness. What a blessing knowledge can be, but only if the heart is truly the Lords.
Brian Ming
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A classic, by one of the greatest minds and theologians of our time. Although written a long time ago, the content still holds true. It challenged me. Encouraged me. After reading this I can honestly say, "I want more of God."

And isn't that the point?

Cara DeBenedictis
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I read it over the course of a month just taking it chapter by chapter because the chapters do a good job of standing alone.
This book is a good medium between a Christian life feel good/little theology book and a theologically dense book. It had some really profound statements that impacted my life and are backed with scripture, what’s more to like!

5 stars because I think the way I read it (slow and discussing with others) is the way it should be read and was hugely impactful! Also
Pamela
This book stirred my passions, drew me in with the intense beauty of God, while at the same time gripped me with conviction. The core of this writing lies in the fact that before a person determines to seek out God, God has been already been pursuing him..."The impulse to pursue God originates with God, but the outworking of that impulse is our following hard after Him; and all the while we are pursuing Him we are already in His hand: "Thy right hand upholdeth me." I am dumbfounded.

Other concept
Bob
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This little classic is a gem and is actually available for free in e-versions! Tozer speaks in plain language about profound spiritual realities ranging from our longing for God to the blessedness of possessing nothing to the quality of meekness to the way we divide sacred from secular in our lives. He explores how it is that we open ourselves up to God and hear God. While there are points at which his references are plainly connected to his own time, this is more than made up for by the spiritu ...more
John Kirkwood
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely hand out five stars. But this book is worth it only considering the prayers at the end of every chapter. However, the content of the book is filled with wonderful insights, the likes of G. Campbell Morgan and Alexander McLaren. It's a short read but full of dynamite. You can spend many hours meditating on what you will read here.
Patricia
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I have so many highlights, it's hard to sit down and pick the best. Excellent book!
Goodreads Librari...: title fix 3 14 Dec 08, 2017 02:40AM
VT Christian Read...: Category? 3 78 Jan 04, 2016 06:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: wrong cover 3 22 Jun 29, 2013 08:29PM

• Knowing God
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • The Holiness of God
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • The Four Loves
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in wester