The Challenge Factory discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
♦Factory Archives♦ > Challenge Feedback

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Let us know how the challenges we have posted are going....

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 798 comments I just want to say the challenge index threads are GENIUS. One thing that irritates me about GR is I can't limit the threads I follow without also missing any new threads that get started. So I miss new challenges or find out about them late. Your index threads solve that-- BRILLIANT!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 83 comments I also really love the option you gave to everyone for the challenge logs- genius! I don't know how I kept everything straight and organized without it

Turtlecollector Dennis | 760 comments I really love being able to keep my challenge log here. I was starting to lose track of which challenges needed to be finished when and for which group I am part of. Here I can keep them all in one place, since most of them are for this group.

message 5: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Great. :)

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 313 comments I like the challenges but I have the one problem of signing up for a challenge and than not remembering what the challenge was that I signed up for.

I do like the challenge index threads. Now I just need to figure out the challenge logs and where that is located.

message 7: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments This may help with the logs...

A few tips to help keep the challenges you have going fresh in your mind.

☼ Create your challenge log here. Click on ‘new topic’ in the upper right corner above where it says ‘last activity’. Make a new folder with your name. This is where you’ll post all of your challenges that you are working on. This way you can refer to them without having to go to each individual challenge and searching for your message list.

☼ Inside your folder, you’ll post your challenges as I stated above. If you would like to include a link to your list within the challenge itself, you can do this by:
1. Find your post in the challenge you want to link to.
2. Right click on the timestamp for your message and click “Copy Shortcut”.
3. Go back to your Challenge list and paste the link. If you want to give this link a title, type in:

<a href=”Paste the ‘copy shortcut’ link here”> Put what you want to name the link here
☼ If you would like an example of a challenge log that has a few things in it, feel free to look at mine here.

☼ Once you get it set up, you can copy and paste between your lists with minimal effort. ☻ Makes life so much easier.

Hope this helps.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 313 comments Thank you So much Jennifer. Now if I could just star your answer so I don't lose the information.

message 9: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 220 comments I just wanted to ask if we can repeat any challenges that are not monthly or yearly challenges. For example right now I am doing the "I gotta finally read this challenge". I wanted to know that when I finish my current books for this challenge, can I do this challenge again with different books?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 83 comments That's a great question- I was just wondering the same thing for some of the mini-challenges myself. Like the Based on a Book... sadly I don't know the answer. It would make sense to me that as long as you choose different books, and read them during the correct time frame there should be no problem... but I think one of the Mods should determine the correct answer

message 11: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments For those that aren't listed with specific dates, you can do them as many times as you would like. It's just the ones with the time frames attached that you have to look for the new challenges to get posted with the new dates.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 83 comments Kewl- so the ones I created that just have a 30 days specification (but no exact start date) ppl can do over and over- with different books obviously?

message 13: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Yep. ☻

Turtlecollector Dennis | 760 comments Can the Trilogy or Bust challenge be repeated for Feb-Apr on the same thread? Or will a new thread for Round Two be added?

message 15: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

Shellbelle  | 434 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "Can the Trilogy or Bust challenge be repeated for Feb-Apr on the same thread? Or will a new thread for Round Two be added?"

I moved the previous Trilogy or Bust to the archives, but I will start up a new thread for it this week...I'm trying to move out dated or unused threads/challenges, and keep everything current and fresh!

Turtlecollector Dennis | 760 comments ♥Shellbelle♥ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Can the Trilogy or Bust challenge be repeated for Feb-Apr on the same thread? Or will a new thread for Round Two be added?"

I moved the previous Trilogy or Bust to the archives, b..."

Instead of the specific dates like on the last thread, it could just be a generic 3 month challenge and people could start it whenever they like.

message 17: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

Kristen I think that's a good idea... I'll let you know as soon as I have it up and running:-)

message 18: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

The Trilogy Challenge is up...with some changes:-) Hope you like it, and if there is something I should add or change Please let me know! I kind of threw it together really quickly:-) http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 19: by Rachael C. (last edited Mar 28, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments Hi everyone! I have a suggestion - could we maybe we could try two author spotlight challenges? I don't mean to increase the number of challenges in an unwieldy way, but I really want to participate and honestly haven't been that up to it with the results we've had (even though I know I'm supposed to since I voted). I think this is the third spotlight in a row (and I calculate three total since we started the spotlight challenges) resulting in an author who writes primarily PNR/UF. And, these authors appear to be not just "winning," but overwhelmingly so each time, so I don't feel optimistic for change in the near future. I tried it the first month with the Rachel Caine spotlight, but honestly I really didn't like Glass Houses after I read it. At that point I discovered that with the exception of the original Twilight series and the old stuff (like Anne Rice novels), I just am not that into the genre, although I recognize I am likely in the minority. I understand it's a very popular genre, but it's also a pretty narrow niche. Would it be redundant to have an alternative author spotlight, or maybe a secondary non-PNR author each time? Or maybe just once in awhile? I'm so sorry, I don't want this to come across as negative. Please don't interpret this as a complaint, instead please read it as a suggestion. I absolutely adore this group and I don't take it for granted!

message 20: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments I've been thinking the same thing and trying to come up with so everyone is accommodated. I was going to ask next month if people would rather have a 'spotlight' for each major genre? Well maybe not each genre...we can make a list of the favorites and go from there. That sound okay?

message 21: by Rachael C. (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments That's a great idea! I love it! Even picking the genres will be fun.

message 22: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments K. I'll get started on it.

message 23: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments What genres would y'all like for the Author Spotlights? For April, I think we'll start off with three. If they're successful we can add more each month.

message 24: by Rachael C. (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments Well my suggestion is gonna be chick lit! :-)

message 25: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Maybe throw in Classics? I have a whole list that I need to read and most are by the same few authors.

message 26: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments And for the third? Anyone else have a suggestion?

message 27: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments I'll throw out mystery/suspense too just in case no one else comes in with a third suggestion.

message 28: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Works for me. New challenges are going up now.

message 29: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

Jen you seem to have this under control, but let me know if you need any help:-)

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 798 comments By the way great idea on the multiple genres. I like the ideas that have been thrown out so far and if you need help arranging or polling or whatever, I'd be happy to contribute.

message 31: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Are there going to be any June/July Author Spotlight challenges? I've enjoyed participating, although I know turnout has been rather small. I completely understand if they're being discontinued, but just wanted to check.

message 32: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Yes. I got sidetracked by the kiddo before I got around to posting anything about them. I was going to ask how we wanted to do it this time. I don't mind posting challenges where only 1 or 2 are interested, but I would like to post something that appeals to more people. Instead of posting the 3 separate challenges for different genres, I'm thinking of doing a schedule. June - SciFi July - Mystery August - Blah blah blah.. Do we think that will work better? I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully, this wasn't too rambly..I have 2 people talking to me and they just won't hush. lol

message 33: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments What I was thinking...

Plan out each month with the genres. We'll continue the way we have been with the author nominations according to the list. For example:

June – Fantasy
July -- Horror
August -- Romance
September – Science Fiction
October – Offbeat or Quirky
November – Young Adult
December -- Paranormal
January -- Mystery
February – Chick Lit

This list does not have to be definite. Feel free to suggest different genres or add to it. So for this month I would post the challenge for Fantasy, everyone would nominate, poll, vote, and then get started. Thoughts?

message 34: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t if you planning like one book a month, it might work to put 2 similar genre's together and let it be 2books for the month instead. that way you get all the genre's involved - if you only do one genre per month it would take you over a year to get back to it and those people would think this isn't a group that appeals to them for a group read

message 35: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments It's not really a group read though. It's an author spotlight. We were voting on the genres and the authors, and then we split it up into 3 challenges and 3 different authors but it doesn't work very well. Only 1 or 2 people for each one. We're trying to find a way to keep it easy but appeal to the majority. It's just another way we're trying to introduce people to new authors each month.

message 36: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments A different genre each month sounds good to me. I think it would help keep things interesting so that different types of authors could be spotlighted through the year. I'm cool with starting with Fantasy.

I would also recommend Classics for one month. And maybe Nonfiction? Just to keep things diverse.

message 37: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments I'll add them in and get something up tomorrow afternoon.

message 38: by Rachael C. (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments Jennifer, that's a great idea. I would agree that it's not worth posting for such a low participation level. Designating a different genre for each month seems like it may address that problem. But even if we decide not to do it that way and continue the previous method, I will still likely participate no matter what the genre. Because I agree, the best thing about this is the introduction of new authors to individual readers.

message 39: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Thanks Rachael!

message 40: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5838 comments Mod
Will we still have a regular TCF monthly challenge for June? (Not that I don't have enough open challenges going on, but there's always room for more... ;))

message 41: by ~Jennifer~ (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments We have genre challenges for the following: Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, Classics, & Non-Fiction. We also have a rotating genre challenge that changes each month. What other genre's would you like to see?

message 42: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (last edited Aug 07, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

I have started a thread for those who are interested in Hosting a challenge...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 43: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) ~Jennifer~ wrote: "We have genre challenges for the following: Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, Classics, & Non-Fiction. We also have a rotating genre challenge that changes each month. What othe..."

Maybe a challenge for YA? For example, the goal could be to read a certain amount of YA books per level? Level one could be 10 books, 2 for each sub-genre (contemporary, dystopia/post-apocalyptic, etc)?

message 44: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments We can do that. I'll work something up.

message 45: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments Danie wrote: "~Jennifer~ wrote: "We have genre challenges for the following: Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, Classics, & Non-Fiction. We also have a rotating genre challenge that changes ea..."

We have a new challenge up in the Monthly folder for YA. Bingo! Hope this works for you. ☺

Turtlecollector Dennis | 760 comments I really like some of the new challenges showing up! Thanks for all the new ideas. I am already trying to see how I can fit them into my pile of current challenges. Between all the groups I am a part of I am probably keeping track of at least 30 already. Luckily, I am a fast reader and some books can count for more than one challenge. It's been almost a year since I joined Goodreads and I have become a challenge addict.

message 47: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I understand Turtlecollector! I think a lot of us have the same problem lol!

message 48: by Rachael C. (last edited Aug 19, 2012 02:17PM) (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments Hey Jennifer,

Although I (once again, haha) appear to be in the minority, I absolutely love the TCF monthly non-fiction "Smart is Sexy" challenges. I love that it gets me reading different kinds of books, especially when the featured sub-genre leads to trying something new.

Is the "Smart and Sexy" challenge going to stay at the new 2 book minimum introduced in August? In the past months, we could do an "easy" level challenge by reading 1 book, but August required 2. In my opinion, the 1 book goals were perfect. While I love reading the non-fiction stuff, 2 is a touggoth complete in light of the other challenges and my slower non-fiction pace.

So anyway, I was wondering if there were plans I go back to the 1 book minimum for the easy level?

Thanks for hosting this awesome challenge!

Rachael

message 49: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) | 929 comments It will go back to one book next month. :) I'm glad you enjoy it!

message 50: by Rachael C. (new)

Rachael C. (norcalbibliophile) | 56 comments ~Jennifer~ wrote: "It will go back to one book next month. :) I'm glad you enjoy it!"

Thanks, that's great! And I have to say I'm impressed you could figure out what the heck I was talking about now that I see how many typos I left in the above message. That's what happens when I try to post while watching my hyper 1 year old.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.