Stephen King Fans discussion

Welcome to Our Group > Post your questions about the group here.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 273 (273 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
If you have any questions about the group... or about goodreads in general, post them here!

message 2: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Witters (mawitters) | 2 comments This book by Stephen King, UR. I am having a terrible time finding it anywhere. Has anyone else had the same problem or come across who sells it? I am intrigued now and have to add it to my collection.
ma

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) It's only available via ebook and audiobook. There has not (yet?) been a printed edition released, although I hope that there will be.

Mile 81 is similar, and is currently only available as an ebook.

message 4: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Witters (mawitters) | 2 comments Well jeez! I have been putting off getting a reader but now I might have to give in and get one...damn you Stephen King!!!
ma

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) LOL!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) If you go to Amazon.com you can get an app version of Kindle for the PC for free. Then you'll just have to have the money to buy them :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments The audio version is available through iTunes.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rachel wrote: "The audio version is available through iTunes."

And Audible.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Mallet (lmallet) i'm looking for a list of his books by date published. i went to his website and they are listed alphabetically.

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Nov 08, 2011 03:19PM) (new)

Let me look around on the group... I think someone posted it once in one of the threads.

OK looks like message 2 has a link to the books in chronological order. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Mallet (lmallet) thanks angie very helpful. i started reading his books in the 70's, but i haven't read one since From A Buick 8

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani | 143 comments Linda wrote: "i'm looking for a list of his books by date published. i went to his website and they are listed alphabetically."

I am pretty sure there was a place on hs website you could sort by pub date as well . . . I searched for that too not too long ago and I am sure I found it there.

message 13: by Marnie (new)

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) (enchantedbibliophile) Becky wrote: "Rachel wrote: "The audio version is available through iTunes."

And Audible."

If you click on the Publication date on King's web page; it sorts it according to dates

message 14: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Linda wrote: "thanks angie very helpful. i started reading his books in the 70's, but i haven't read one since From A Buick 8"

your welcome!

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments This is probably posted somewhere else but I was wondering if there are talks or plans for Stephen King to finish The Plant. I think it's great so far. Frustrating that it is incomplete...

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Ughh I don't know! Funny thing is I just read an interview with King in the Lilja's Library book (and the interview is on that website as well) where King states he just ran out of ideas and won't be working on it any time soon. :(

message 17: by Renjay (new)

Renjay Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumour the IT movie will be remade and when the planned release date is?

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Feb 14, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

I can't find any updated information on this remake!!! We have talked a little about it here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments hannah wrote: "Hey, umm this might be a really stupid question, but with the events that I get invited to (for example, I was invited to read Full Dark, No Stars with this group), do we physically have to turn up..."

It tells people that you are going to join in the reading and maybe make some posts discussing the book.

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 5 comments Ok, I'm new to the group but not new to King. I have a list of books that I'm going to read next and want to get everybody's opinion on which one I should start with. I have one I want to start with but I trust everyone here so whatever gets the most votes I will go with!

Cell
The Long Walk
Gerald's Game
Insomnia
Duma Key
Dead Zone
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tyler wrote: "Ok, I'm new to the group but not new to King. I have a list of books that I'm going to read next and want to get everybody's opinion on which one I should start with. I have one I want to start wit..."

Duma Key! I've never read the others, but Duma Key is fantastic!

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 126 comments Kathryn wrote: "Tyler wrote: "Ok, I'm new to the group but not new to King. I have a list of books that I'm going to read next and want to get everybody's opinion on which one I should start with. I have one I wan..."

I have to agree. I think Duma Key, next to 11/22/63, is King's recent best. (I should add though that I'm partial to stories about artists mainly because I can't draw/paint/sculpt/sketch to save my life but I'm fascinated by the internal process of those that can.)

message 23: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Tyler wrote: "Ok, I'm new to the group but not new to King. I have a list of books that I'm going to read next and want to get everybody's opinion on which one I should start with. I have one I want to start wit..."

The Long Walk and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are both really good reads. Both are mind games.

The cell is great until the last 1/4 of the book and then you are standing there like...really? Really??

Geralds Game is a mind game as well? Is there someone there or not? Can she possibly survive this?

Duma Key is a great "King" novel. Reminds you of why you read him.

Insomnia is a long and arduous journey, with nice quirky moments with these old folk. Some DT references and such. Yellow coat men and all that jazz.

Dead Zone is a classic

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela450) | 7 comments I started reading the Dark Tower series back in 2004 I got to The Wolves of Calla and stopped there. I'm going back to them now starting again at the begining. My question is I bought Wind through the keyhole. Is this a Prequel to read first? Or last??

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Wind Through The Keyhole is set after book 4, Wizard and Glass.

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela450) | 7 comments Becky wrote: "The Wind Through The Keyhole is set after book 4, Wizard and Glass."
Oh Duhhhhh! I should of read the Foreward before I asked the question. Just trying to get them all together in order here. Thanks Becky

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) No problem... I never read forewords before the book. :)

message 28: by Tom (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:37PM) (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Becky wrote: "Mile 81 is similar, and is currently only available as an eb..."

I rated this CD 5.
Mile 81 is available as a CD, along with another short - The Dune - and an excerpt from 11/22/63. I've read mixed reviews on these two short stories and although I respect the viewpoints of those who dislike them for whatever reasons, I consider comments such as "King fans will be disappointed with this one" (I paraphrase) very inappropriate and rather shallow minded. The more Sai King I read (I don't think I've missed any) - and read of the man - the more I understand the impossibility of buttonholing him to any one genre.
Here's what I had to say of the CD (at what point - if any - will '81' deserve its own thread?):
"the story of an insatiable car and a heroic kid"? Now how could we possibly go wrong with that sub-title?
This one is a "five star" so far. Sort of a VERY sick Christine! I finished "Mile 81" today, partway through 'The Dune'. King mentions "the old scary movie "Christine"." Fact is, the unnamed car in Mile 81 would have devoured Chistine in one sitting, but the car's preference leans towards the warm blooded! I read something of The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories in Mile 81. I heard many other "Kingisms" while listening to this, but can't bring them to mind now. :(

The Dune is another atypical King (as if there were a "typical" King); an old Judge reminiscing about his life, his hate/love affair with 'his' dune, to which he has become addicted. In all his years, he had never before spoken of the Dune's secret, to which only he is privvy. Why discuss it now while ammending his Final Will with his attorney? Why does he feel safe divulging his secret? His last words in the short story are "Oh no, not me". I'll wait for another to finish it before discussing who the old Judge is referring to. I was reminded of The Dead Zone with this one, among others.

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Tyler wrote: "Ok, I'm new to the group but not new to King. I have a list of books that I'm going to read next and want to get everybody's opinion on which one I should start with. I have one I want to start wit..."

Welcome Tyler! Reading is such a personal and subjective activity, I'm hesitant to suggest to YOU where to start. Personally, with an author I am especially fond of - after "lucking into" the first read by that author - I usually read all their work in chronological order. With SK, I read them all as they were published. If I hadn't read them as they came out - and know what I know of his work at the time, I would have waited and read the Dark Tower series after reading his other work. As it happened, I'm one of those constant readers who waited - what - 20 years! between books IV and V?
Which ever order you choose to read, be prepared for one helluva good ride!

message 30: by Peter (new)

Peter | 6 comments hi
how can I answer a comment and include the original ? I see how to write a comment but how to comment on a comment?

pete

message 31: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Peter wrote: "hi
how can I answer a comment and include the original ? I see how to write a comment but how to comment on a comment?

pete"

On the bottom right on a comment, there is a reply button.

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter | 6 comments Kathryn wrote: "Peter wrote: "hi

pete"

On the bottom right on a comment, there is a reply button."

Ok, I see.. you get the reply button only on a computer. I was using the app on my iPad where that option doesn't exist.

thanks Kathryn!

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Peter wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Peter wrote: "hi

pete"

On the bottom right on a comment, there ..."

You're welcome! I have an iPad, too, and I don't use the Goodreads app. I downloaded it, but I didn't like the format and noticed the features were really different. I actually just keep a tab in Safari open for Goodreads, and just use it that way. I just refresh the page to get my updates. :)

message 34: by Peter (new)

Peter | 6 comments Kathryn wrote: "Peter wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Peter wrote: "hi

pete"

On the bottom right on a c..."

yeah, I'll stick to my iMac from now on..

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim | 80 comments I'm reading my first group read The Tommyknockers and it's going great, almost finished. When does the monthly poll usually go out for the group read? I'm already looking forward to the next one!

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tim wrote: "I'm reading my first group read The Tommyknockers and it's going great, almost finished. When does the monthly poll usually go out for the group read? I'm already looking forward to the next one!"

Usually you will get a group email/private message saying the group is taking nominations for books about two or three weeks into a new month. Then, it will be voted on right after the nominations are over. The SK Group usually does one Stephen King book one month the group hasn't read together, then they do a different book you'd recommend to him or he's recommended. (That part I'm not certain on.) I'd say just keep an eye out for messages from the Moderators: Becky, Chris, and or Angie about nominations and voting, or check the group polls section.

message 37: by Tim (new)

Tim | 80 comments Peter wrote: Ok, I see.. you get the reply button only on a computer. I was using the app on my iPad where that option doesn't exist...."

Kathryn's right, just use the website tab if your on a tablet. That's one problem with the app. Another would be no option for adding the link to the book/author when commenting. Hopefully there'll be an update soon, who knows?

Thanks for the polling info Kathryn :)

message 38: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

We have just recently come up with a date for the polls/nominations. The nominations will start on the 20th.. poll should be up on the 27th.. and then you will have about a month to get the book!

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim | 80 comments I'm a little confused. The home page for the group says tommyknockers is the group read for September . At first I thought that timeline was both for reading and discussion. I think I was mistaken but I want to make sure.

Are you saying that the date on the group page (tommyknockers Sep 3-30) for books is the reading period, and discussion starts when that time ends?

message 40: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

OK... sorry this month kinda was off we were late on the poll. So this month's book is Tommyknockers. Oh I see... you are right. we are behind. Technically on Sept 20th we should be nominating for November's book but we haven't nominated October's book yet. Let me get with the other mods real quick.

message 41: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Tim wrote: "I'm a little confused. The home page for the group says tommyknockers is the group read for September . At first I thought that timeline was both for reading and discussion. I think I was mistaken ..."

Oh and also... yes we read and discuss a book ALL month long. So typically a discussion starts on the 1st of a month and ends on the last day of that month.

message 42: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

This might help you too... though I need to update it a little : http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 43: by David (new)

David (davidcosta) | 2 comments I found an cartoon image of Stephen King and some of his characters... I can't find out which 3 are these... Well there's Carrie, Cujo, Jack, Pennywise, and I can't see those left.... there's the image

http://imgur.com/lohxI help me on this curiosity :p

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Jimmy wrote: "I found an cartoon image of Stephen King and some of his characters... I can't find out which 3 are these... Well there's Carrie, Cujo, Jack, Pennywise, and I can't see those left.... there's the i..."

I think one is the vampire from 'Salem's Lot, and I am wondring if one is Rosie from Rose Madder.

message 45: by David (new)

David (davidcosta) | 2 comments what about the blonde guy down pennywise?

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Jimmy wrote: "what about the blonde guy down pennywise?"

That's one I couldn't figure out...Hmm...Someone who's read more of King (I'm sort of a new reader)m might now. I wonder if it is someone from The Dark Tower series???

message 47: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I was thinking it might be Flagg, but I don't know. :)

message 48: by Victor (new)

Victor I agree with Kit! Definitely Flagg.

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Kit★ wrote: "I was thinking it might be Flagg, but I don't know. :)"

Oooooh, I didn't think of that. I always thought of Flagg with long hair, actually.

message 50: by Victor (new)

Victor Doedn't he have long hair in the picture?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6