Rated YA-MA discussion

Book Chat > How Did You Find Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What events brought you to this site? Did you find it randomly, through another site, or through another person?

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) I'd seen it a while back but I was writing down books I'd read in a notebook, and then I joined the one linked with Facebook (iRead I think it was called!).

But I just kept coming back to Goodreads! So I ended up joining and will probably never leave :D

message 3: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 17 comments Rachael (Piper) wrote: "I'd seen it a while back but I was writing down books I'd read in a notebook, and then I joined the one linked with Facebook (iRead I think it was called!).

But I just kept coming back to Goodread..."

Rachael, you did the exact same thing I did:-)

message 4: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon I heard about it through word of mouth. I loved the idea of being able to chat to other book lovers, particularly those who read the same books I did. It's been really lovely talking to you all.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. My husband told me about it a few months after GR started (he's always on the lookout for new sites.)

message 6: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments It's all Jenny's fault that this site has been seared into my life. She sent me the Goodreads email that lets you compare books and I've been a lost cause since.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Roshini wrote: "Rachael (Piper) wrote: "I'd seen it a while back but I was writing down books I'd read in a notebook, and then I joined the one linked with Facebook (iRead I think it was called!).

But I just ke..."

Hehe, I had quite a pile of books in the iRead thing and didn't want to copy them all over lol. But glad I did.

I also enjoy this group :) I think I almost prefer talking about books than reading them... almost ;)

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 93 comments I was on Book Blogs and a friend on there told me about goodreads :)

message 9: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I was invited to join Goodreads by a girl I grew up with, through the old Facebook app I guess.

message 10: by Pierre (new)

Pierre Rooyen (httpwwwgoodreadscompierre) | 16 comments I write YA and my publisher brought me here.

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) I heard about it through a friend.

message 12: by Mirna (new)

Mirna  | 12 comments My sister got me in to GR after a few months of insisting in it.. Now im hook.

message 13: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Mirna *sight* wrote: "My sister got me in to GR after a few months of insisting in it.. Now im hook."

And I haven't heard a thank you yet!

Through Google. Kept searching for books and GR came up alot so I ended up looking it up and joined mostly to shelve my books, but once I joined my first group I was lost....or found, lol.

message 14: by thesebooksiread (new)

thesebooksiread Everytime I would read the first book of a new series I would search for when the next one would come out and after a few books I realized that Goodreads was the only website that would always have answers. Then I started reading the reviews and after a while realized that I need to sign up because I could get so much more out of it and every since then I can't stay off this website!

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I used to hang out on the Amazon forums a long time ago and saw GR brought up over and over again as a way to organize your books. I mainly thought I was going to use it to keep track of read and to-be-read books, but slowly migrated into groups.

message 16: by thesebooksiread (new)

thesebooksiread Exactly! I just wanted somewhere to keep track of what I wanted to read instead of having a million lists on my phone and computer. Then I joined a group to see what they were reading and decided I really enjoyed having a place to talk about books!

message 17: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 56 comments I constantly googled books while at work, searching for recommendations based on past novels I have loved... Most links that Google brought up were for GoodReads... So I joined.. And I tell ya, my bank account has been crying ever since... this site is awesome, but dangerous.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments I am a librarian and used to teach workshops on Reader's Advisory. (Reader's Advisory is basically recommending books to people at the library.) Goodreads was suggested as a reader's advisory tool, and I absolutely use it that way. It helps me remember what I read so I can recommend them to others, and give me ideas on what else I can suggest to people. So basically, I learned about Goodreads at work!

message 19: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What about some of our newer group members? How did you come to find this site?

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim | 33 comments From a Yahoo search. I entered book clubs or book groups and GR came up.

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I came to goodreads, when AOL boards were shut down. A member started a group here and invited us. I find new groups by checking out the groups main page ( where your groups are listed) and see what is interesting.

message 22: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (stack-i-e) | 299 comments I'm a google user too, lol, and amazon addict. And a lot of the reviews came from goodreads, finally I clicked on it and realized it was more than just reviews. Not only can I track all my books but I can enter giveaways and meet fellow book addicts like myself! Now I'm on here more than facebook.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I found goodreads when i was messing around on facebook and found it. Now i love it. Finally found something i can keep track of everything and not have so many lists laying around

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric Quinn (eqknowles) I found Goodreads through the Amazon forums.

Ring of Destiny (a Reynald Tale)
Facebook page for Eric Quinn Knowles

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (the_hero_of_canton) I found it on facebook but ignored it for a long time. I barely find facebook worthwhile. But then I discovered the Sword & Laser book club at GeekandSundry.com and I was hooked.

message 26: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Navarro (kanarenee) I found GoodReads by accident through Tumblr. I was looking at someone's blog and saw they had posted some images of books they had read. I clicked one of them and it pulled up GoodReads.

I must admit, I was pretty excited, haha.

message 27: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Abel (charlotteabel) | 2 comments I think I found it when I was doing some research on my first book and have spent the past 2 years lurking on like 20 groups. I can't remember the last book that I read that wasn't a GR reco. ;-)

message 28: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (mrskap) I received an invite from a friend on Facebook.

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 3 comments I was searching for books similar to the Southern Vampire Series, and GR had the best lists.

When I saw that I could add my books and keep track of what I'd already read, I signed up.

Until now, that's all I've used it for but I love it.

message 30: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Just the ability to catalog your books is a good reason for being here! The forums and giveaways and all of that ended up being a bonus.

message 31: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments And the biggest bonus for me, was finding so many new peeps and friends who love to read as much as I do. And now, we have a much bigger connection than books.

GR might make me mad sometimes cause of all the little gadget problems, but I will forever be grateful to it, cause I met some pretty amazing people thanks to this site.
You know who you are!!

message 32: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) | 40 comments I actually saw a widget for this site on my good friends facebook page. I looove to read and loove to write my own stories, so it attracted me at once. I think I may be just a little too addicted to this site now...

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Trowbridge I was looking for a good book to read, based on the fact that the last great book i read was the HG series. So I googled "Books to read like the Hunger Games" - and It led me to a goodreads thread! I am loving this website, and have already read SIX books that were recommended to me within a few weeks with no duds. Now I can go to the Library with a purpose, instead of wandering around for hours and then coming home with dumb books, half of which I had already read - now i can keep track of my reads! Very cool.

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieaz) | 3 comments Google!!! I was looking for more Dystopic society sci fi books...and stumbled across it!!! Soo happy I did!!!

message 35: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikawastaken) A friend recommended the site to my in 2008, because I would always write down books I wanted to read on reciepts or slips of paper.

It wasn't until the 2011 challenge that I started checking GR multiple times per day!

message 36: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Too funny! I used to keep lists on my library receipts.

message 37: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'm curious how people access GR. Do most of you use phones or mobile devices, or do you actually sit down and use a computer and such for writing your reviews?

message 38: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Laptop for writing reviews, but sometimes if I'm just chatting I'm on my phone.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1 comments Recommendation from a friend. I found goodreads is great for keeping track of my past book club books and recommendations for my next pick! It is a great way to keep up with my neverending need to read list.

message 40: by Sandra (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "I'm curious how people access GR. Do most of you use phones or mobile devices, or do you actually sit down and use a computer and such for writing your reviews?"

I use my laptop. I'm one of those rare people that doesn't have mobile and my notifications pile through all the day. Last holidays I was checking notifications with my BF's mobile, but it was a nightmare to write because it's set up as Spanish.

Have you ever wonder, besides of what device do we use, questions like what continent do we come from?; Or about distribution females/males in our group?; or about age ranges?; Maybe you can propose polls like that so that we find out something about what kind of one-thousand-member group we are. I bet we'd be surprised of our variety!

message 41: by Tohrutohno (new)

Tohrutohno | 5 comments I found it through mention on an Amazon forum. I was looking for updates to when the next in a series would be released and someone mentioned seeing the date up on GoodReads.

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments I remember sawing the bookshelves widget in several blogs so I started checking some blogger's library. Then I added the YA releases page. And one day I saw this group and thought that it was exactly what I needed: adults who love YA books and chat about books :)

message 43: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I am usually on my desktop when I'm on Goodreads. I use my phone to access it if I'm in bed and need to update what page I'm on or something like that. But I don't check the forums on my phone that often and I never write reviews from it.

message 44: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "I'm curious how people access GR. Do most of you use phones or mobile devices, or do you actually sit down and use a computer and such for writing your reviews?"

Mainly from my laptop, although I'll occasionally do a status update from my phone.

message 45: by The (new)

The Distracted Bee (thedistractedbee) Felicia Day/ Vaginal Fantasy Hangout on geekandsundry.com

She is my hero! And has great recommendations.

(I obsessively use goodreads on my iPad.)

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann General | 2 comments i cant even remember anymore how i came across this site. if im not mistaken, i think im looking for some "free ebooks" then :)

message 47: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I have to write my GR reviews on my computer. I will check GR throughout the day from my Nook, but I don't do anything on small devices other than checking in or making quick comments. If I have to write anything that's more than a sentence or two, I have to be at my computer.

message 48: by Renae (last edited Oct 11, 2012 04:23PM) (new)

Renae (romanticparvenu) Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "I'm curious how people access GR. Do most of you use phones or mobile devices, or do you actually sit down and use a computer and such for writing your reviews?"

I use my computer to write reviews or post on groups, but I add books and update my progress via iPhone if I'm out.

Same with you, Stacia. I can't stand typing anything long on my phone or iPad. It's much too difficult, haha.

message 49: by Niel (new)

Niel | 273 comments I found Goodreads searching the web for a book series (Fablehaven) and related series.

message 50: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) You know... This is a very good question. I can't remember at all how I found Goodreads. I know I was looking to get back into reading. Life takes over and sometimes you don't get down time to read. I made it a priority to fit this kind of me time into my life again. So somehow I found this site perhaps searching for a book or series.

As for how I access GR, I have it on my iPad, android, and computers.

« previous 1