Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

721 views
Personalized recommendations > What's the name of that book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Need to know the name of that book? Post it in this thread and maybe our members can help.


message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee I read this book in middle school, so it might technically be classified as Juvenile fiction. I want to say at has to do with a school shooting, or the possibility of one. I know that's not a lot to go on, but I do remember that the book is written in four distinct point of views.

I remember one of them is male who is the unlikely hero at the end something to do with a gym bag he keeps in his locker. The other character I remember is a biracial girl who is labeled as "the girl with a permanent tan." In the book the issue with her being half white and half black is a huge issue for the town. If anyone has any idea what this book is called please let me know!


Rebekah Peroutka | 1 comments Deanna wrote: "I read this book in middle school, so it might technically be classified as Juvenile fiction. I want to say at has to do with a school shooting, or the possibility of one. I know that's not a lot t..."

There's a book I found that sounds similar but I don't know if it is or not it's Hey Nostradamus by Douglas Coupland.


message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley (thatwritergirl75) | 25 comments I too read a book in middle school that I can't remember the name of...It's about elves...on motorcycles. > > Yes, they were elves living in this modern/futuristic type world, and the main guy rode motorcycles (I think), and the plot was something about a disease going around. I remember a few scenes, but they may or may not be spoilers. Thanks for your help!


message 5: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Haley wrote: "I too read a book in middle school that I can't remember the name of...It's about elves...on motorcycles. > > Yes, they were elves living in this modern/futuristic type world, and the main guy rode..."

There is a series that takes place in the Borderlands with multiple authors that may be what you're talking about. Elsewhere and others.


message 6: by Haley (last edited Dec 18, 2011 02:11PM) (new)

Haley (thatwritergirl75) | 25 comments Theo wrote: "Haley wrote: "I too read a book in middle school that I can't remember the name of...It's about elves...on motorcycles. > > Yes, they were elves living in this modern/futuristic type world, and the..."

HOLY @&$% you found it!! It's Finder from that series *ironic*! Thank you SO MUCH--I've been looking for that book for years. You rock!!


message 7: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Glad I could help!


message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments There's a new book out in this series this year. It's Welcome to Bordertown. To those who don't know, Borderlands is a shared universe, where the world has shifted and suddenly the border between Elves and humans has become porous. Human kids and elvish kids runaway to the Borderlands. Emma Bull and Will Shetterly wrote novels set there, there are several anthologies of short stories & novellas.
Welcome to Bordertown by Ellen Kushner


message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) I read a book many, many years ago that I have been trying to find for a while. It also could be considered juvenile fiction. This book is about a boy who gets hurt every summer so he makes a bet with his friends about how he won't injure himself. The boys then spend their summer playing basketball and football...and spying on the pretty girl next door, who has a pool. Eventually the main character punches through a screen door. I remember the cover had a picture of a girl in an orange-y pink bikini.

Anyway, I know this sounds like a silly book, but I read it when I was a kid and I'd love to find a copy again.


message 10: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Knoxdiver wrote: "I read a book many, many years ago that I have been trying to find for a while. It also could be considered juvenile fiction. This book is about a boy who gets hurt every summer so he makes a bet w..."

I think this is what you're looking for: The Biggest Klutz in Fifth Grade by Bill Wallace


message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) That's it! Wow! Thank you so, so much! :)


message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 7 comments Rebekah wrote: "Deanna wrote: "I read this book in middle school, so it might technically be classified as Juvenile fiction. I want to say at has to do with a school shooting, or the possibility of one. I know tha..."

Could the book be Shooter by Walter Dean Myers?


message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikkibyrne) | 1 comments I read a book a few years ago, and I vaguely remember some parts of it... I know there was a kid who was in... I think it was a gifted school, or a school for challenged kids. I don't quite remember which. He (I'm pretty sure it was a guy) assigned colors to numbers, and he would write them in the corner of his desk, as the desks were all whiteboard topped. I think the teacher would put replies on the desk. I remember there being a painting of the founder of the school in the entrance hall/foyer place. I really want to read this book again. Help?


message 14: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 37 comments Back in the 90's I read a book about a young girl who replied to a newspaper ad or something and then got wings in the mail.... something like that. Anyhow, she took the pill or whatever it was and the wings actually grew. She couldn't sleep on her back anymore and had to wear long coats to hide them. I remember it describing how she flew over town and whatnot..... can't remember the name...anyone?


message 15: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Cortney wrote: "Back in the 90's I read a book about a young girl who replied to a newspaper ad or something and then got wings in the mail.... something like that. Anyhow, she took the pill or whatever it was and..."

Could it be one of these?

Mail-Order Wings by Beatrice Gormley or Growing Wings (Firebird) by Laurel Winter


message 16: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. In the 80's I read a book about a girl on a quest in a land called Ap or Ape. The cover was really cool...a dark forrest.

Any ideas?

Also...I read a bunch of books all related to Wales...some retellings of Welsh tales. I think one of them had a character named Rhiannon and one title might have had Wyrn in it. I've been looking around at thrift stores, yard sales, ect to find these but to no avail.

All of these were checked out from the Tarpon Springs Public Library in Florida but I've never been able to find them there. I think they discarded them.


message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla A few years ago I read a book about a girl and her friends. The girl's best friend is very close to her younger sister and it turns out the sister is really the friend's daughter. I think the daughter's name is Grace or Gracie. Any ideas?

Also, I read a book in the 90s I am looking for. The main characters are a boy and a girl, it was a teen romance. They hate each other until they get trapped on an island or something like that. I think their was a picture of the two in a boat on the cover.

Thanks


message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah For Rory M.

In regards to Rhiannon you may be thinking of T.A. Barron's Merlin series/mult. trilogies.


message 19: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. For Deborah...thanks for the suggestion but not the one...they weren't a series just all written by the sane author..I thin all of the main characters were mostly girls but not the same girl...one may have been a boy. The author referenced Welsh myth and folklore. They were awesome stories!


message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah For more help

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

A Goodreads group based on helping people solve the question of What's The Name of That Book???


message 21: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. Thanks for the link Deborah!


message 22: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. Rory M. wrote: "In the 80's I read a book about a girl on a quest in a land called Ap or Ape. The cover was really cool...a dark forrest.

Any ideas?

Also...I read a bunch of books all related to Wales...some re..."


Thanks to Deborah the group she recommended got me the title of the first one: The Forest of App. I had it wrong - the main character was a boy, not a girl! This was awesomely quick!


message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee Rory M. wrote: "Rory M. wrote: "In the 80's I read a book about a girl on a quest in a land called Ap or Ape. The cover was really cool...a dark forrest.

Any ideas?

Also...I read a bunch of books all related to..."


I found my book easily through this too! Thanks Deborah!


message 24: by Carly (new)

Carly There was two books in elementary school I read one was about the life of a dog called squirrel I can't find it anywhere. The other is about a Native American girl before Chris Columbus where she has never seen her reflection and in the very end a ship with a bunch of englishmen show up. Anyone have an idea about either of them?


message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (venio) | 13 comments Carly wrote: "There was two books in elementary school I read one was about the life of a dog called squirrel I can't find it anywhere. The other is about a Native American girl before Chris Columbus where she h..."



Second one could possibly be Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins


message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments The second one sounds to me likeMichael Dorris's MG novel Morning Girl by Michael Dorris . Dorris wrote non-fiction, short & long fiction for adults and children.


message 27: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Carly wrote: "There was two books in elementary school I read one was about the life of a dog called squirrel I can't find it anywhere. The other is about a Native American girl before Chris Columbus where she h..."

The first one might be A Dog's Life The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin


message 28: by Carly (new)

Carly Yes thank you!


message 29: by Ela (new)

Ela I read this book ages ago it is about little people (pixie/fairy type poeple I think) who work delivering dreams to people, but I can't remeber what it's called and it's really annoying me, does anyone have any idea?


alisonwonderland (Alison) | 30 comments Ela wrote: "I read this book ages ago it is about little people (pixie/fairy type poeple I think) who work delivering dreams to people, but I can't remeber what it's called and it's really annoying me, does an..."

Is it Gossamer by Lois Lowry?


message 31: by Ela (new)

Ela alisonwonderland wrote: "Ela wrote: "I read this book ages ago it is about little people (pixie/fairy type poeple I think) who work delivering dreams to people, but I can't remeber what it's called and it's really annoying..."

No :( It's amore Atemis Fowl style book, but thanks for trying :D


message 32: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 11, 2012 02:32AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments When I read some reviews of The Raft, I tried to remember the title and author of a young adult debut I once contemplated reading:
- It was a slim volume about a girl swimming to survive across a vast part of saltwater (after a catastrophe?). She had to decide whether to help a weaker boy or not.
- The cover showed a girl's face full frontal just above the waterline
- The title was rather short


message 33: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments oliviasbooks wrote: "When I read some reviews of The Raft, I tried to remember the title and author of a young adult debut I once contemplated reading:
- It was a slim volume about a girl swimming to survive across a v..."


Could it be Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma


message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) When I was younger, I read a book series about girls at a horse-riding boarding school. I know about the Chestnut Hill series, but I'm not sure if that's what I read. Any other suggestions?


message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Was it a boarding school or just a riding class?

Horse Crazy (Saddle Club, #1) by Bonnie Bryant The Saddle Club #1


message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) A boarding school. I loved horse stories when I was younger. Saddle Club, Pony Tails and...the unnamed series. :)


message 37: by Heartya (new)

Heartya | 6 comments Haley wrote: "I too read a book in middle school that I can't remember the name of...It's about elves...on motorcycles. > > Yes, they were elves living in this modern/futuristic type world, and the main guy rode..."

I think Mercedes Lackey had elves in race cars...


message 38: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments Theo wrote: "oliviasbooks wrote: "When I read some reviews of The Raft, I tried to remember the title and author of a young adult debut I once contemplated reading:
- It was a slim volume about a girl swimming ..."


No, it was
Overboard by Elizabeth Fama . I found it after trying out a lot of titles. But thank you, Theo, for helping.


message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samantharandolph) I read a book when I was younger (maybe around 5-10 years ago), and I've been trying to find the title of it for months. I only remember that: It was either a juvenile fiction or possibly YA book; a widowed king was one of the main characters, but I don't believe THE main character; I think there were rumors of this king's wife being locked away or something; I think the main character is a girl who might have a brother or some sort of non-romantic male companion; Both her and the male (I really want to say her younger brother)somehow end up at the king's castle. I believe the king could get visions of the future, and I think dragons are involved and the word dragon may be in the title, but not 100% sure on that. Also, the king and the girl have a romance. That's all I remember, but any help would be much appreciated!


message 40: by Kim (last edited Dec 03, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Samantha wrote: "I read a book when I was younger (maybe around 5-10 years ago), and I've been trying to find the title of it for months. I only remember that: It was either a juvenile fiction or possibly YA book; ..."

I don't suppose it's The Secret of Dragonhome? I haven't read it, but the story sounds similar.

If not, have you checked the Dragons Listopia? http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/58...


message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (porcelainheart44) | 6 comments I read a book when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, I don't remember much about it, but it was a Middle Grade level book about mermaids? There were two in the series I think. All I remember was that a human girl could turn into a mermaid and then underwater there was a dangerous kraken thing and Poseidon came in and got rid of it? Haha, it sounds ridiculous, but that's all I remember about it!


message 42: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Elizabeth, how long ago were you in the fifth grade?


message 43: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I read a book when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, I don't remember much about it, but it was a Middle Grade level book about mermaids? There were two in the series I think. All I remember was t..."

Could it be Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep?


message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (porcelainheart44) | 6 comments Deborah wrote: "Elizabeth, how long ago were you in the fifth grade?"

Deborah wrote: "Elizabeth, how long ago were you in the fifth grade?"

seven years ago


message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (porcelainheart44) | 6 comments Theo wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I read a book when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, I don't remember much about it, but it was a Middle Grade level book about mermaids? There were two in the series I think. Al..."

Oh wait, that's it! Thank you! :D


message 46: by Mary (last edited Dec 25, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) This book is set in Seattle. It's about a high school girl who has an arch-rivalry going with a high school boy. She's got a male pen pal (I think you guys know where this is going) that she tells everything to.


message 47: by Jada (new)


message 48: by Chantal (new)

Chantal (chantal23) | 2 comments I read a book in the early 2000s, not too sure on the exact year, about a girl getting kidnapped. There was also something to do with milk cartons. There were two guys that were the kidnappers, an older one and a younger one. I know this is so vague, but I'm having a hard time remembering anything else.


message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) I just read Edward Bloor's Taken which has an older and younger kidnapper. I don't recall milk cartons, though, so this may not be the one you're looking for.


message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) Jada wrote: "Is it Perfect Strangers?"

Yes! Thanks, Jada, that's the one!


« previous 1
back to top