Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Reviews > Finding Book Reviewers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments For the authors in this group, do you find it difficult to get reviewers to read your books?

My second novel, Beyond the Fifth Gate, came out in September, and I did receive my first review at http://cfvici.blogspot.com/2008/10/be... and I've got a second on the way. But I've sent out all kinds of requests.

What do you all think? Where do you go for reviews?

Donna Sundblad
www.theinkslinger.net

message 2: by Leslie Ann (last edited Oct 27, 2008 12:54PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments Donna,
My first novel,Griffin's Daughter is an award-winning romantic fantasy, and still, I, too have found it very difficult to get any attention from the major fantasy review sites.

Part of it, IMHO, has to do with the big reviewers getting inundated with books from the major publishers; therefore, they tend to ignore books put out by small presses. It's very frustrating.

I've sent requests to every major sci-fi/fantasy review site, and only got one review on Fantasy Debut. I also got a review from Harriet Klausner at Amazon. She's a good person to ask because she's Amazon's top book reviewer. I was also very, very lucky to have my book reviewed by the Library Journal, my biggest endorsement to date.

Good luck,

Leslie Ann

Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy) by Leslie Ann Moore

message 3: by David (new)

David Korinetz Try myshelf.com. They did a review for me, just query with book details first.

message 4: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Twombly (ScifiAliens) | 47 comments Hi Donna,
I'm a self-published author who keeps learning things that convince me even more that I made the right decision. It seems reviewers typically want to see the manuscript about three months before the book is in print...too bad if you're self-published or didn't go looking for a review ahead of time.
The Internet is probably your best bet now, and you may want to consider asking bloggers if they'd be interested in reviewing your book, although you may want to offer them something in return, like a free preview of a chapter of your next book.
Good luck. :-)
Phyllis K Twombly
www.ScifiAliens.com

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments Thanks Leslie Ann,

I appreciate the tips. So glad I found this board.

Donna

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments I appreciate the help! Thanks so much.

Donna

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments Hi Phyllis,

I have found a couple of bloggers, but I figure we could create a resource to help others travel where we've already trod. :)

Donna

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) The PreRelease Volunteer Group here on Goodreads has people willing to pre-read stuff for authors. I joined it hoping to do so. No one has ever asked me to, though.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments Thanks for that, Jim.

My book is already out, so what I need is reviews.

Donna

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 97 comments I have a book in MS, just loaded on to my publishers Palm Pilot so she can read it at some point, not even contracted yet, if ever. A futuristic paranormal about a man investigating two werewolfattacks on a lunar colony, and the ghost who loves him.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kurtz | 7 comments I think it would be a good resource for all of the authors to have one centralized list of places that review novels--especially for those of us with novels already published.

Nicole

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) What about a closed discussion group for all authors (sub topics by genre?) where you offered discounts, free or used copies of the book to people in the group. Make it invitation only to those who have written reviews of a quality you're looking for & agree to the conditions you impose.

Questions:
- Exactly what kind of reviews are needed? (Length, format or ???)
- Would you want to clear them first?
- Have them posted in a specific place? (e.g. Amazon vs. here)
- Author's ability to post them other places, including in the book?

I wouldn't mind reviewing some novels. I'd like to read a synopsis first to make sure I'm interested. That is, if you want my unprofessional opinion & gave me some guidelines. If the book were used & free, I would get around to it a lot quicker - my 'To-Read' list is fairly long, my 'To-Buy' list has over 2 dozen books in it.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kurtz | 7 comments David and Jim:
I like both ideas actually. I write cyberpunk sf hybrids (mystery/sf) so I'm fine to read others like mine too.

I like Jim's idea of using used and/or free copies of the book. My fear is that giving away free copies of the books could attract some unsavory reviewers and those copies may end up on eBay. That's happened to me before--without a review. :-(

I think guidelines are critical to us pursuing this. I think the reviews should be posted on Amazon and on Goodreads, etc.

Do you want to start a new thread with this discussion or move it offline or wait for others to comment?

Best,

Nicole

message 14: by David (new)

David Korinetz I think it is a must to send out review copies. I suggest, however, that you write in big letters on the title page, 'REVIEW COPY NOT FOR RESALE'.

message 15: by David (new)

David Korinetz My book is a Fantasy with knights, dragons, elves and wizards. Any writer who enjoys readig that sort of thing and wants to exchange books is welcome to send me an email. The first chapter is on my web site:

http://www.davidkorinetz.com/dkchp1.htm

If I can't submit a positive review, I would not submit one but contact the author instead to tell them why. I would expect the same consideration.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasundblad) | 8 comments Hi Nicole,

That's a great idea!

Donna

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) In a closed group, I would expect you'll still have some problems with people not living up to expectations, but hopefully could spread it out among the authors in the group. For instance, if you let Joe join & he didn't keep his end of the bargain with one author, you'd kick him out of the group.

If you only have authors in the group, you would probably have less problems - the more select the group, the less trouble makers. Maybe. It might be a better way for some to go - a published author's review is worth more than Joe Reader's, I would guess. However, ten reviews & Joe Readers spreading the word might be worth even more.

An author on GR recently sent me a gift certificate to Amazon if I would agree to buy his book & another. He'll get a good review - or none, rather than a bad review (as David said). If I like the book, I'll likely buy the next two in the trilogy & I'll spread the word.

message 18: by David (new)

David Korinetz The idea of a Good Reads authors only review group sounds okay to me. Perhaps there could be a willing to review section and a book offered for review section by genre. For myself, I would not want to restrict what I would be willing to read and review to only the genre in which I prefer to write. My only bias would be a PG-13 or less rating.

So how do we go about doing something like this?

message 19: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 2 comments As a reviewer I find this thread interesting. Good ways to get your books into reviewer hands is to look beyond the big review sites and google for the medium market review sites that work with your genre. Do book give aways and contests on your website to help get the book into circulation. Offer sample chapters which will catch the attention of reviewers and make it known that you have copies available for review.

I'm also intrigued by the idea that no review is better than one which isn't a glowing review. The only bad review is one which is poorly written or rude. A good reviewer will be honest and fair with it and that review is going to get other readers thinking and buying, even if it's not a 'I loved this book more than anything I've read ever' review.

Food for thought.

~J

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Jana, do you think it would be best to write a review & if it is negative, show it to the author & let them decide if they wanted it made public?

I agree with publishing sample chapters for free or other methods to get a sample into the reader's (my) hands. If I can read some of it first, I'm more likely to buy it. Established authors that I've been reading for years have precedence. Trying new books & authors is limited to word-of-mouth (GR & physical friends) & I still have too many to read, so I look for samples to narrow the choice down further.

Shaihen Heritage: Book 1: Cloak of Magic has the first two chapters on the author's web site for free & it allowed me to see if I'd be interested. I was.

Another GR author had a novella in ebook format for $2 or so. I downloaded & read it. Not my cup of tea, but the inexpensive price, ease of purchase (PayPal) & quick turn around made me give her a try. Since we didn't click once, I probably won't look at any of that author's books again, in this case. I might in another.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kurtz | 7 comments In the past, I've done things like book giveaways, etc. and have found little success. On the other hand, locating a reviewer who will supply an honest, thorough review of my work is on in which I enjoy. Really. I grow as a writer when I get deeply reflective feedback and not just the "I like it" or "I hated it" type of reviews.

I am curious as to whether writing a negative review and talking to the author prior to publishing it would make good sense to a reviewer.

Anyhow, I'm curious about this course of conversations. Naturally, if anyone is interested in reviewing my novel, SILENCED, let me know.

Nicole

message 22: by David (last edited Nov 06, 2008 08:28PM) (new)

David Korinetz I agree with posting example chapters. I posted the first chapter of FireDrakes on my website:

http://www.davidkorinetz.com/dkchp1.htm

I also posted another chapter on GoodReads. As for giveaways, be it for reviews or just to get the name out there, I support that as well. Over the past year I've given away about 25 books which yielded 5 reviews that I know of. The only negative review focused on the inadequate proofreading, for which I am guilty. Never, never, never, ever do your own proofreading!

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kurtz | 7 comments Gary,
I like your tiered level of reviewers. I agree that each one of us should attempt to provide a good review of each others' works, unless there are gross flaws--unreadable. If that is the case, you should send the author a note stating you are unable to review it and why.

Accurate and honest reviews don't necessarily mean bad or over glowing reviews.

That's my two cents. So, if anyone is interested in reviewing my novel, SILENCED, please read the first chapter posted on Goodreads under my author profile, and SILENCED.

Thank you.

Nicole Kurtz

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kurtz | 7 comments David and Others Who Might be Interested:

My novel is called SILENCED: A CYBIL LEWIS NOVEL. SILENCED is a sf hybrid.

Here's the blurb: Cybil Lewis, a private inspector in the year 2146, is no stranger to family dysfunction. But when her inspector-in-training, Jane, asks Cybil to investigate the disappearance of her cousin, Cybil is tossed into a world of political ambition, drugs, and deception on such a grand scale, she barely survives with her life.

This case will take her and Jane far into the reaches of the divided states and into the upper crest of political turmoil that lies in the wake of the Great War.

I posted the first chapter here on Goodreads, and you can also locate it on Amazon.com and read inside the book. Silenced: A Cybil Lewis Novel (Cybil Lewis) (Cybil Lewis) by Nicole Givens Kurtz

message 25: by Jana (new)

Jana Brown (jana_stocks_brown) | 2 comments *chuckles* Most medium sized reviewers have at least some audience and are fighting to get more.

As far as negative reviews... I think you have to divide up how you define negative. There is a difference between reviews stating the reviewer had negative personal opinion, a technical nit pick in content or style, and one that's just plain mean or vicious.

For example, I recently reviewed Mark Henry's Happy Hour of the Damned, and the lead character drives me absolutely nuts. She reminds me of people I know who I'd like to sock in the nose. In my opinion she's a horrid person. However, that doesn't mean she's not a well developed character. See how much emotion he got out of me? Even if it's, I hate her, I hate her, I hate her, I still want to read more to find out what happens. My very statement of how much I hated her convinced three readers, possibly more, to go out and buy the book because it was such a passionate response. Technically hating his lead heroine is negative but it's a good review. I'm stating what my opinion is and opening up a forum for people to think about what he's written and to be curious to see if they agree or disagree.

Reviews which don't gush over how much I loved every word are better reviews and can be honest without being unkind. I know I, as a reader, have to take with a large grain of salt any review which is only 'positive' and I run screaming from: "OMG I sooo lurve character X. Any book abt character X is perfection. I don't know how anyone can not love these books. LULZ.".

The second kind of review on the technical aspects I give at request or if the technical aspects are coloring my reading of the book. Please make sure you have a good copy editor and use things like SPELLCHECK. I hate seeing teh in a book.

My usual format for a general book review is to talk about things I liked, then things that bugged me and wrap up with other things I liked and a recommendation to buy, borrow or run screaming.

As far as taking negative reviews back to the author, sorry, but I don't and a good reviewer shouldn't. I sit and talk with you about your review and you argue your case and maybe I change my mind...well now my review is compromised. It's no longer a review of the book. It's a review of the book colored by my author conversation which every reader won't get.

If I put up a review and have an author contact me I'm happy to talk about the content of the review and why I felt the way I did. I may even post a follow up or a 'reread review', but I've never changed my original review because it's important to me to be true to my reading and honest with my audience. If I say "I didn't understand why character X did Y," then the character motivation in the story missed a beat somewhere. I accept that it may be something in how I read it, but usually it means it wasn't clear and the review should be taken as a way to make the next book even better, not as a personal attack. If you ONLY allow reviews which are positive you learn nothing as an author. It sounds harsh, but it's true, and if you are that thin skinned, then don't read or solicit reviews ever because there will be someone out there who just doesn't resonate with what you did. The more successful you are the more likely it'll end up being someone who gets tens of thousands of readers instead of a mid list like me. The joys of putting your work into the public eye is that the public represents a lot of people with a lot of different backgrounds and opinions and they don't all match yours.

Now, before you think I'm just a big meanie...when I put up a review for any media, I also review video games, I'm putting myself out there too. Sometimes people don't agree with my reviews. Sometimes authors don't agree with my reviews. Sometimes people contact me and read me the riot act over what I've written and it's just as negative and unfun to hear so I DO empathize. I rarely write an only negative review. I never write only to be vicious or mean, but I am honest and I believe gentle honesty benefits an author more than kind lies.

~J

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 1 comments I love doing book reviews but I have found that unless I am given a deadline, it often takes me longer than author hopes to get it posted.

message 27: by Tess (last edited Nov 09, 2008 04:23PM) (new)

Tess | 2 comments As a writer and as a long time bookseller at one of the big box chains, I would like to put in my 2 cents about free advance copies.

ARCs can really make or break a book. Booksellers spend the day doing verbal reviews of books for customers. This is much easier to do when you have actually read the book. One of the reasons the Da Vinci Code was so successful was that the publisher sent out 2 copies of the ARC per bookstore. The manager got the first copy but the second one fell into the hands of the booksellers. Who sold the crap out of it.

In addition, at least at my Big Box Bookstore, it is written in the handbook that any bookseller caught selling an ARC is fired.

So, what to do? Go to your nearest bookstore - and not just the big boxes! Talk to the booksellers. Give away a free copy and ask for a review. Pretty much every bookstore has a Staff Selection area with books displayed with reviews - see if the bookseller likes your book enough to review and select it.

True, it is small and local, but that's how it can start.

Bringing cookies to the booksellers is good, too. Seriously, when local authors come to the store for signings and readings, they tend to fall into 2 categories. One either ignores the booksellers or demands things - coffee, better pens, constant service - and pretty much sucks up to the customers. Not a really good way to get the booksellers to hand your book to customers and say "Hey, this is a great author!"

The second type of local author knows that booksellers are the best customers. They go out of their way to be nice to the booksellers, and yes, sometimes bring cookies. I am far more likely to go out of my way for the second type of author.

Okay, I think I have more than used up my 2 cents.
Thanks for reading.

message 28: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Twombly (ScifiAliens) | 47 comments Hi Jim; speaking of free previews, in case anyone isn't aware of this, Amazon has a 'look inside the book' program. They scan a physical book or download the file, and potential buyers can pick a random sampling of a few pages or look for key phrases, names, etc. It's basically free, as it only costs one copy of your book and the price of getting it to them. It's one way to increase your exposure.

Another idea for this group might be to give each other reviews on Amazon...

Phyllis K Twombly
www.ScifiAliens.com

message 29: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) I just speak from my experience with the review site I belong to, Romance Readers at Heart, but there's about a dozen of us and we try to get our reviews done and on the site before the book is in print for sale (though we sometimes don't get the book until its already out, or less then two weeks from being released).

We don't just review romance, we also review fantasy and such like. Nancy, our Mistress of Books (XD) is very nice. We also run a couple of giveaways for authors interested and we read e-books as well. our site is www.romancereaderatheart.com if you want to look around.

I go by my full name on there, Alexandra.

message 30: by Robin (last edited Jan 28, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 71 comments Mod
I've not had problems getting my husband's book reviewed. I stumble across a review site - and I send them a nice email with "all the details".

- Blurb
- ISBN
- Past Reviews
- Book cover
- Publication Date
- Publisher
- Format

I've received the following reviews so far:

01.14.2009 Books by TJ Baff
01.03.2009 davebrendon's fantasy & sci-fi weblog
12.22.2008 Small Press Bookwatch
12.22.2008 Entreprenuer.com
12.10.2008 The Old Bat's Belfry
12.10.2008 Cheryl's Book Nook
12.02.2008 Huntress Reviews
12.01.2008 Midwest Book Review
11.27.2008 Fantasy Book Critic
11.19.2008 Odyssey Reviews
11.10.2008 Ravenskya's Reviews
--
Wife of fantasy author: Michael J. Sullivan
The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008) | Avempartha (April 2009)
Reviews: Fantasy Book Critic | Odysssey | Amazon | MidWest Book Review | Huntress Reviews

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul | 4 comments There are many good ideas and I would love to move forward on something like a writers' pool that would review each other's works. I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a dope on how to do that, though. Can we start another group, perhaps Fanasy Writer / Reviews? Anyone that wants to join the group commits to doing a reciprical review for every one that is done for their group. I would think that a review from an author would carry as much weight as any other review.

message 32: by Lil (new)

Lil (lilmar) | 26 comments David wrote: "My book is a Fantasy with knights, dragons, elves and wizards. Any writer who enjoys readig that sort of thing and wants to exchange books is welcome to send me an email. The first chapter is on my..."

I read what you posted and am very interested in reading the rest. I have done and currently do reviews of different types.
If you're interested, please, PM me and let me know.

Lil

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 2 comments I have found that most big review sites and bookstores only accept you if you are with large publishers and bookstores like barns and noble or amazon

so i started sending my book the timeweavers to reviewers on myspace and facebook
i just had one back here on good reads from
http://www.authorgeriahearnsbookrevie...
and i recomend you start a myspace and facebook on your book as they are the bigget two communitys online and can be great exposure

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw some great idesas in the responses. I am in the process of sending queries to get my book reviewed.

Good Stuff!
The Ring of Knowledge

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments I review books at http://sciencefictiontimes.blogspot.com/

If you want me to review a book, send short description to jimsftimes@gmail.com

message 36: by Kevis (last edited Jul 20, 2009 05:57PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments Donna wrote: "For the authors in this group, do you find it difficult to get reviewers to read your books?

My second novel, Beyond the Fifth Gate, came out in September, and I did receive my first review at h..."

Interestingly, I haven't had any real difficulty getting reviews for my first novel. But that has much to do with the fact that I have a hard copy version to give to reviewers.

On the other hand, my new novel which is only available on Kindle is a much different beast to tackle. I have sold more than 100 copies of my book since its release 3 months go. But I have only 1 review to show for it at this time. I am disappointed by the lack of reviews, because I think many people will be unwilling to give my book a try because they may feel the lack of reviews indicates that my book is not being read. And if it is perceived as not being read, people will imagine the reason for that is because it is not a good book. I find that the only solution to this situation is for me to speed up my timetable and publish my new book in print so I can give out review copies. I think I've learned a valuable lesson about making sure that when I get ready to publish a book that I do so in as many platforms as possible.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann Hutchinson (clevergirl) | 5 comments I have a free online list of SF/F reviewers, Ann Wilkes' SF Reviews List: http://www.annwilkes.com/ReviewPlaces...

There are 49 reviewers listed there now. Hope that helps. And have you checked out Book Blogs? It's an Ning group. You'll find tons there.

Ann

message 38: by Robert J. (new)

Robert J. Sullivan (robertjsullivan) | 8 comments Based on an on-line article I read http://www.theoutsourcingcompany.com/..., I looked up reviewers on the Amazon list of top reviewers http://www.amazon.com/review/top-revi... and found those that review science fiction, mysteries or thrillers, had an email address and were in the US (mail rates to New Zealand are high). I sent them an email and asked if they were interested in a copy. I had to go through 1100 reviewers, sent emails to 132 of them and 31 asked for a copy of my book. So far, I've got 8 reviews up on Amazon since 5/25. (7 with 4 stars, one with three.)

message 39: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 54 comments Jim wrote: "Jana, do you think it would be best to write a review & if it is negative, show it to the author & let them decide if they wanted it made public?"

In a word, NO!

For the most part I don't agree to review books I don't think I'll enjoy. If I read the sample and blurb and for whatever reason (bad formatting/grammar, story doesn't interest me, flat characters, whatever) it doesn't interest me, I send a polite note saying I'm declining the book.

If it does interest me, I'll review it no matter what. And it will be an honest review. Which means I may come to the conclusion that the book had issues.

Here's the unspoken contract that I have between myself, my readers, and the authors sending me the book: If it is a competently written story, you will get at least three stars. I'll talk about what I liked and what I didn't and why. But, if there are technical issues as well, grammar, formatting, plot holes, then two and one star reviews are in the offing as well.

I expect any author to realize that a negative review may be coming his way if he sent me a copy of his book. (Especially if his grammar or formatting are clunky!) I certainly expect that may happen for all the copies of my book that I've sent out.

I'll always write respectfully, and I expect the author to respond the same way.

message 40: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Leslie wrote: "Donna,
My first novel,Griffin's Daughter is an award-winning romantic fantasy, and still, I, too have found it very difficult to get any attention from the major fantasy review sit..."

why not ask goodreads members to review your books?

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 10 comments Personally, even as a new author, I would rather have every review - good, bad, or ugly - so long as it is honest and fair. It's rare that I've read a review from a trusted reviewer that I totally disagreed with. To truly dislike the novel, there needs to be several flaws; if that's my book, then I need to hear it. I've read reviews on novels that cautioned about slow-starts, or plot discrepancies, somewhat shallow characterizations, etc and yet I've still really enjoyed and loved that book. And I knew exactly what I was getting and was glad to get it!

message 42: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) I'm published traditionally (print), ebooks, and now have just released my first self-published book, Isadora DayStar! I agree with Julie: I've gotten super rave reviews on my first trilogy, Future Imperfect but the one I treasure most was a reviewer who nailed the things I knew I was doing but deadlines kept me from really addressing, lol! I love that review because the reviewer at the end said it was still a page turner! That reviewer was not as positive but she was so dead on that I laughed with delight and printed it out, just never framed it!
I'd also love to exchange blogs but I preface it with saying I rarely, if ever, do reviews or interviews. It's mostly directed at authors with tips, help with writing and occasional opinions: http://pibarrington.wordpress.com! Oh, yeah, I write futuristic crime thrillers, dark sci-fi adventure, psychological horrorish shorts and finally, epic fantasy!

message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 10 comments Exactly. There's a review where my novel is just "okay" and I have every respect for it. The review's pretty short though: ("She loved the ending but had a hard time sticking with it"). I wanted a better perspective and learned she reads vampire/paranormal fantasy (Twilight, etc) almost exclusively. It's really good for me to learn how someone who doesn't often venture into my book's style will experience it.

I learned: she was interested enough to try the book; the 'pow' ending still had an impact despite the fact that this audience sub-set probably won't be drawn by the stream of consciousness style I used, but it was at least good enough (or fast-paced enough) that she did finish it.

I got an honest review, and loved it.

message 44: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 10 comments fair enough. I can accept that and even agree. Unfortunately I'm only semi-actively marketing right now due to other obligations, but you're quite right that blurbs are my greatest weakness. Another member has a class on marketing blurbs and I've taken her up on an offer of the class outline and notes for just this reason.

But it's good to get another impartial opinion. I expect I will be revising it soon.

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 10 comments Thanks, I'll do that. I need to improve my skills and with this novel, just the nature of the story makes it difficult to walk the line between intriguing and sounding cliche because I have to be careful not give away spoilers.

Therein I'd appreciate some opinions. I'll plan to come by.

message 46: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) What do you think of this blurb. It's for my newest novel, Isadora DayStar:

When drug-addled assassin Isadora DayStar finally snags a major interplanetary killing job, she thinks it will both support her habit and revise her status as the laughingstock of her profession. Instead, she embarks on a journey that brings her face to face with her tortured past.

Canary wrote: "As a reviewer, I'm inclined to say that your biggest stumbling block to getting people reading and reviewing your book (and I'm assuming you're actively marketing) is your book blurb.

It's vague a..."

message 47: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 54 comments P.I. wrote: "What do you think of this blurb. It's for my newest novel, Isadora DayStar:

When drug-addled assassin Isadora DayStar finally snags a major interplanetary killing job, she thinks it will both supp..."

I'll admit it's not doing much for me, but it might have more to do with the idea of drugged out assassin also doesn't do much for me.

You might mention more about the job. And more about what flavor of facing her past comes up.

message 48: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 10 comments Keryl wrote: "P.I. wrote: "What do you think of this blurb. It's for my newest novel, Isadora DayStar:

When drug-addled assassin Isadora DayStar finally snags a major interplanetary killing job, she thinks it w..."

I think Keryl makes a good point: the 'drugged-out' doesn't draw me, so much as that she's in disrepute. I can learn about her addiction in the book.

If I take it out of the blurb, the edit comes down to: The new job will shut up those who've been laughing behind her back - or in her face - and let her keep her indulgences for a long time. At least that's the plan...

Not an earth shattering blurb still, but no loss from excluding the drug comment. The word "addled", for any reason, makes me question her competence. I'd find another way to describe the monkey on her back or be more indirect and let readers discover her drug abuse in the story.

message 49: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Johns (PJJohns) | 7 comments Hi Donna,

I do find it a bit difficult. the main problem is that some of the major websites and magazines aren't interested if your book is an ebook, and even less if you're self published. If you write sci fi and/or fantasy, there's even less!

I've found a few here on Goodreads, and by trawling through blogs on blogger. there are quite a few who are happy to do reviews of ebooks.

message 50: by Noor (new)

Noor Jahangir | 21 comments I do book reviews but I've learnt I'm very picky. Any books I've purchased myself I tend to review, but if its published through the traditional channels and not good book, I will score it down and give it a bad review. If I bought a small press or indi authors book and it turns out bad, I'll score it low but not review it. If its something that's been submitted to me, I won't read, review or score it at all.