Start by marking “Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)

Avempartha

(The Riyria Revelations #2)

THE SECRET IS IN THE TOWER. THE PROBLEM IS THE BEAST. THE ANSWER IS TWO THIEVES.

When a destitute young woman hires two thieves to help save her remote village from nocturnal attacks, they are drawn into the schemes of the wizard Esrahaddon. While Royce struggles to breech the secrets of an ancient elven tower, Hadrian attempts to rally the villagers to defend themselves ag
Published April 1st 2009 by Ridan Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Avempartha, please sign up.
Michael Jim is right. Originally this six-book series was sold as individual titles. But it was purchased by Orbit and re-released as three, 2-book Omnibus…moreJim is right. Originally this six-book series was sold as individual titles. But it was purchased by Orbit and re-released as three, 2-book Omnibus editions. So the ebooks that has this title is Theft of Swords. It's the second part of that book and The Crown Conspiracy is the first part.(less)
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldFallen by Lauren KateNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Best Book Cover Art
7,067 books — 6,177 voters
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
595 books — 1,251 voters

More lists with this book...

Choko
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advanture, fantasy
*** 4.35 ***

A buddy read with my friends at BB&B, because we love Hadrian and Royce!

Back with one of the best bromance couples ever, the thieving duo of Hadrian and Royce. The second in the Riyria Revelations, this book starts couple of years after the events which first introduced us to this risk taking, butt kicking and at this point, somewhat infamous team of very capable "retrievers of objects". Since the last big job, their names have become well known and even badly written plays are b
Jim
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
March 2012: Reading the book this time & in order. It was good on a re-read, better in order.

Feb 2009: I have the ARC pdf to review. It was a really good, fun read. It should have been a quick one, but reading a pdf just isn't that easy for me. I can't wait to sit down with the first book & hope the next one is done soon.

Yes, I read the 2d book first & still enjoyed it. That's surprising. The second book stands just fine alone, makes me want to read the first & the one that come
Molly
Not one dull moment with Hadrian and Royce.

Rating 4.5 (or am I too stingy)

description

Two years have passed since the happenings described in The Crown Conspiracy. Hadrian and Royce continue to live their lives as nothing changed. Rescuing royalty it's all in a day's work .... well, kind of...

Crossing the district, Royce and Hadrian halted abruptly in front of the theatre’s large white painted board. It depicted the silhouette of two men scaling the outside of a castle tower and read:

THE CROWN CONSPIRACY
Chris
For the first half of this book, I was a little disappointed. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it was great to be reunited with old friends such as Hadrian, Royce, Arista, and good (or is he evil?) ole Esrahaddon. The new developments with the church of Nyphron and their schemes, plus Arista's new assignment to serve as ambassador were all nice to read about. But it just didn't have the heart pacing action I'd come to expect after reading The Crown Conspiracy.

But talk about calm before the
ChopinFC
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
full review…

Sullivan delivers another quick knock-out with Avempartha, in the second installment of the ‘Riyria Revelations’! This is a fantastic second entry, bringing back our favorite ‘thieves’ in Hadrian and Royce in a whole new adventure.

Sullivan again keeps things extremely light. The worldbuilding is not as emphasized, but the plot develops quite nicely, specially due to the linearity of the story. After reading a couple of the ‘prequels’ “Riyria Chronicles”, and now my second ‘Revelatio
David Sven
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Again, a fun fast read. Sword and Sorcery that reminded me a lot of Skyrim with an ancient Elven tower to plunder, an enchanted sword to steal, a princess to rescue, a village to save, and a dragon to slay.

Royce and Hadrian are back and off on another feel-good quest - you know... the sort their rules say not to take. You would have thought they would have learned from the quest they took two years earlier in The Crown Conspiracy – and besides, this job pays nowhere near as much.

As with the firs
C.P. Cabaniss
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“What did you think? They were coming to lynch you?”
He shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a glass-half-empty kinda guy.”
“Half empty? Hadrian chuckled. "Was there ever any drink in that glass?”

It's been less than one year since I read this series for the first time, but a reread was already in order. And I'm hoping to reread the rest of the series fairly soon as well.

Just like with the first reading, I absolutely adored this one. The first book in the series (the first half of Theft of Swords) is
Tammy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael J. Sullivan is now a favorite of mine, i'm determined to read everything he writes. I'm never bored reading this series, it's way too much fun. I think it is special thing when an author is capable of making you truly feel for his characters, major or minor.

I loved learning more about the world, the mythos, the elves. I also loved the small stories within the story.

Again, the character's were amazing. Arista, Eshraddon, Theron, Thrace, Magnus the dwarf. I had to save the best for last, R
TS Chan
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having done with the introductions in The Crown Conspiracy, Avempartha takes the Riyria Revelations series to the next level fairly quickly. The political intrigue that was revealed at the end of the first book took on greater proportions in this instalment. We also finally have more female representation in the cast via Princess Arista, and Thrace Wood (a daughter of a farmer).

The mysteriousness of the Riyria duo by now fades into fascination as we are clued on to more of their back story. How
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
It had been some time since I read the fantasy genre. In March I stumbled across The Crown Conspiracy, the first book in the series. I first noticed it in the Giveaway section. It sounded so interesting and seemed so well received by other readers that my curiosity was piqued.

I ordered it directly from the author and read it immediately. It was wonderful. Exciting story, great characters, I couldn't ask for more from a fantasy story. I was pleased to see Avempartha was scheduled for release in
Jeanna
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So, I got an ARC copy of this book from the author's wife (and let me just say I was proud of myself for ignoring the typos that get edited out before publication; being an editor is sometimes a curse). It's the second book in the series of six (curses! I broke my rule of only reading completed series again!), and I’ve now finished the first one as well. I wanted to know if they really could go out of order without being a problem, and overall it was fine. There was obviously some backstory refe ...more
Nicholas Talty
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015-reads
3.5 Stars

The bane of having expectations. I went into this expecting a The Lies of Locke Lamora type thief story set in an epic expansive world. It is certainly witty at times, the characters are likable, the story itself is well told, even though the transition between The Crown Conspiracy and this book was a bit disjointed.

What I wasn't expecting was that this is really a modernized classic fantasy. Lots of inspiration from Tolkien. I love me some Tolkien, but I would have preferred knowing
Zoe Artemis Fido Targaryen
Splendid as its predecessor with evolving plot and story lines. And this time, I don't see it coming, the ending was unexpected. Just awesome. Growing more and more attached towards Riyria, especially Royce.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My wife commented on the fairly ambiguous nature of my review for The Crown Conspiracy. I did enjoy the book, hence the three star rating, but it didn't exactly blow me away.

Avempartha, on the other hand, comes a lot closer to doing just that. The very title of the novel intrigued me. I wasn't going to read the book quite yet, as I had some other ones lined up, but I was curious as to what the title referred to. Was it the name of a person? A city? An artifact?

A character that really annoyed me
Liviu
Excellent followup to The Crown Conspiracy. Though followup may not be the right word, since The Crown Conspiracy was essentially a standalone with hints of the larger picture, while Avempartha goes straight into the deeper issues of Mr. Sullivan's richly imagined universe.

After a superb re-acquittance with Royce and Hadrian in the first several pages, the novel actually continues more as a series opening with a lot of build-up in the first half, while the second half is just superb non-stop
Lee
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in this series has me wanting more. But not in a sense that it has built more of the story and I can't wait for the next installment, more along the lines that I was hoping for a lot more from this story and didn't get it.
There are some developments in the main plot and the character development of Royce was very good, but overall, I was still hovering around the 3.5 star mark for this story.
I am enjoying the story and look forward to the next, but am not 100% engaged yet. In s
Robin
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
So it's been a long while since the last time I read this book and a lot has been added since then because my husband added some seeds into it as he was working on books 3 - 6. I really like the way it came out. The first chapter is completly reworked - The original first chapter was thrown away completly and the new first chapter is probably my favorite of all the chapters in the series - which is like - I'm not sure maybe 70 chapters?

Anyway I recalled this book being my least favorite of the
Lazybee
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Royce or Hadrian. I like them both. It's like to choose between sasuke and naruto or tom and Jerry. You can't select one. I love them both equally. And will continue to do so.

Book is even better than the predecessor, if that's even possible. Plot twists everywhere, don't try to guess. I tried and failed.

It was a pleasure to read.
Wing Kee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5! Pretty great continuation.

World: The world building is good, there is some info dumping but not a lot and the world is different and familiar to genre readers so there is some meat to chew on this bone. The world is not fully formed at this time and that's fine cause we are getting enough for the story and it slowly reveals the depth in this world. I like how the social dynamic works and though evil church is a staple in this genre this one is done well. I also like how the world building i
Dawnie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nice book.

I love the two main characters in this book, they are both fantastic!
They are very unique characters but at the same time they clearly work so wonderfully together that it almost seems like they are only completely functional with the other. If that made any sense.

I just really enjoyed those two.
I love their banter and the clearly loving friendship between them, how they trust the other and how they take care of each other in a not overdone way.

Its beautiful to see s
Nimrod Daniel
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's a quite good book, but not as fun as The Crown Conspiracy. Until the 2/3 mark the it felt much slower and not too much happened, though the writing was great and Royce and Hadrian are a great team. The last third had a much better pace and the plot moved forward until the great climax at the end.
While The Crown Conspiracy was a great "Ocean 11"-style book, this one felt like a warm-up to the upcoming books in the series.

As the story unfolds we get more insights into the past, learn about th
Conor
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, riyria
The second part of this book starts off slow but as it progresses a broader view of world politics is revealed and we start to understand what is really going on. The climax of Avempartha is powerful and engaging with characters we've come to love and hate meeting brutal and sudden ends while the plot develops in unexpected ways.

While I really enjoyed her character in 'Theft' in 'Avempartha' Arista was turned into an almost unbelievably stupid and gullible pawn. On that note here is my Arista g
Mike (the Paladin)
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then it happens that we find a book or a series of books that we really enjoy. That's very nice when it happens after a long run of mediocre..."meh" reads. That's what happened here. I like the first book in this "series" and I liked this one just as well.

(complete disclosure I'm reading these in a compilation volume that contains volumes 1 and 2.)

We are slowly learning about "Riyria" here and as we do so we get an exciting and enjoyable story of what's happening "currently". Thes
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
What an ending! How can you not want to start the next book right away....The big plot was unravelled more in this one. More powers showed themselves and the ones we know got different motives depending on the point of view. I dont know if its that simple but i think I know who the heir is...Great character development. We learn so much more about royce and Hadrian and the wizard. Some more world building and insights to the past empire. Sullivan gives us just enough in every book. Enough to kee ...more
Allison
This wasn't quite as fun as the first one, as it's taken a turn for the darker. It's still very enjoyable, but it feels more like a warm-up for the next book - which I think I'm going to have to start right away. Much is left hanging at the end, and my curiosity is piqued!

There's more magic here than in the first, more tantalizing hints about the elves, and more involvement with dwarves and wizards, all of which made me happy. I am glad the main focus was with the thieves again, but with enough
Katie
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.5*

And the plot thickens. I love how Sullivan can pack a wonderful fully developed fantasy story into under 350 pages. I love this world and all of the back room politics and scheming going on, I can't wait to pick up Rise of Empire!
Emma
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great light read fantasy that develops and deepens nicely from the first story.
Libby
After being hooked by The Crown Conspiracy (and I mean that literally, as defined by Merriam-Webster’s as “fascinated by or devoted to”) I was like a kid at Christmas waiting on my copy of Avempartha. From the last page of Crown to the first page of Avempartha, I missed my new friends Royce and Hadrian. I wondered what was happening in Elan after the death of the King? Where did the formerly captive and truly dangerous wizard Esrahaddon go? What secret plan was the Church of Nyphron weaving behi ...more
Adam Franklin
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I find a second book in the series that "holds up" to the first especially when I really like the first one. Avempartha certainly exceeded the high expectations I had after reading The Crown Conspiracy.

Royce and Hadrian continue to be the best part of these books,though the wizard Esrahaddon is fascinating to me and I'm not sure whether he is "good or bad" in any case he certainly has his "own agenda" and seems to have no quams about using others to reach his goals.

There are many memor
Ron
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maps, fantasy
See Second reading comments:

Not even as good as The Crown Conspiracy, though Avempartha advances the greater story. Not content with saving a kingdom, he's set about resurrecting an empire and maybe (in future books) saving the human race.

What's not to like? First, he stole his elves (and dwarves), almost verbatim, from J. R. R. Tolkien. Second, his evil, conspiring church is so commonplace that's almost as if he stole it, too. Neither showed much imagination. Contrast this with Rothfuss' create
The Sword and Laser: ToS: Avempartha (Mark Spoilers) 36 78 May 21, 2019 10:03AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Avempartha 20 27 Jul 18, 2016 03:56PM
You'll love this ...: Avempartha-Riyria Revelations #2 40 47 May 15, 2015 07:22AM

• Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Origin Scroll (Targa Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Once Bitten
  • Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)
The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) comes out July 9th in hardcover, ebook, and audio. Pre-order you copy now!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter key

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)