The All Purpose Joy of Cooking The All Purpose Joy of Cooking discussion

cooking

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine This book is the complete book of cooking. The sixth edition was so different from the fifth that I keep both on my kitchen bookshelf. I've even used the earlier edition as a source for an article I wrote about poultry predators. It gives advice on how to cook wild game, like raccoons and opossums. Not information you find many places!

message 2: by Ryann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Ryann It is a great cookbook...if I was only allowed to have two cookbooks (in some horrible alternative reality) I would have to choose Joy of Cooking and The New Best Recipe Cookbook.

message 3: by Kecia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kecia Evertime I find a used copy of this cookbook I buy it. It IS a classic! Just don't use the pancake recipe in this edition of the book...the editors goofed and put too much baking soda. And don't miss her brownie recipe...it's the best! And easy too.

Rombauer was a member of my church and she started this a church project. I drive by her old house all time...and I always tip my hat to her.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* A great cookbook, I dont own that many, but this is one I keep. The rest of my recipes go into recipe boxes, have several of them.

Cmariewt I have a copy from the 80's! It is hilarious to read. I collect vintage cookbooks. My mom gave me one from the 1800's that has recipes for things like giraffe and how to set up a table when having the royal family over for a dinner party.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Cmariewt wrote: "I have a copy from the 80's! It is hilarious to read. I collect vintage cookbooks. My mom gave me one from the 1800's that has recipes for things like giraffe and how to set up a table when having ..."

Yes some of the best parts of the book are indepth, creative illusrations.

Lily Ryann wrote: "It is a great cookbook...if I was only allowed to have two cookbooks (in some horrible alternative reality) I would have to choose Joy of Cooking and The New Best Recipe Cookbook."

My second would be Julia Child's French Chef Cookbook . That's one I'll glum unto if I find it among used book sales, just to give someone its ratatouille or chocolate mousse recipe. But, Joy was part of my shower gift to my son's bride, and he brought along a paperback edition from his bachelor days which had once been in our vacation home.

(I also cherish my out-of-print Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking, but its volumes would have to stay behind if I had to choose.)

Susan Joy is the cookbook I go to when I'm looking for classic recipes. I use it for cream puffs, eclairs, brownies, and any time I'm hunting for a recipe to go with a certain ingredient, like blueberries. It's my favorite cookbook, hands down, and I think it's better than my American Classics from Cook's Illustrated.

Angelwing This if a great cookbook.

Alessandra I have a prized copy of a World War II printing, with all sorts of ideas for stretching food. But my workhorse copy is a '75 one, which was still available in the mid-'80s when I started to learn to cook. You couldn't pay me to use an '80s edition of the Joy of Cooking.

Noelle I have to admit I hardly ever use a recipe out of this book. However I could not cook without it, it is a treasure trove of information about ingredients and how to handle them. I credit this book and Alton Brown for teaching me how to cook not just follow a recipe. If I could only have one cookbook this would be it.

message 12: by S (new) - added it

S Kecia wrote: "Evertime I find a used copy of this cookbook I buy it. It IS a classic! Just don't use the pancake recipe in this edition of the book...the editors goofed and put too much baking soda. And don't..."

Some of the best baking comes out of church groups. She was a lady ahead of her time.