Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > HELP NAME MY CHARACTERS

Comments (showing 1-50 of 126) (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Ok so I'm starting another book. There are three main characters so far. I'll give descriptions of all of them and then you can help me decide on names.

1) Character Numero Uno (hehe) is the protagonist. She has straight blonde hair that reaches her elbows, green eyes, light skin with a few freckles. She's about average height. Her family just died in a car crash so she had to move to a whole other state to live with her aunt and uncle (who she despises). Age 15

2) Character Number Two is the bad boy at school who doesn't get along with the protagonist, but eventually they catch each others attention. He has soft brown eyes that seem to be able to see into your soul, dirty blonde hair that falls just past his ears, light skin. He's tall and wears mostly leather and rides his motorcycle everywhere he goes. He's also quarterback of his highschool football team. Very gorgeous dude. Age 16

3) Last character (so far) is my favorite, actually. He ends up being the best friend of the protagonist. He has red spikey hair and no freckles, light skin. A sweet face, and dark green eyes. His features on his face seem sharp. Very sweet and comforting. Not exactly hot, but a little more than cute. Age 15

I think I'll name #1 Jade and #2 Tanner, but I have NO IDEA what to name my 3rd character..

HELP!

message 2: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 82 comments Personally I think you should name a character on what the name means!
How about Christian ??
I love this name and wanted to name my character this but then I got another name that suited much better to my character!

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Yeaaahh I've been doing that to see what the names mean. But none of them match perfectly and there are none where i go "BAM that's his name"

message 4: by Audrey ~ EXO-L (new)

Audrey ~ EXO-L (lunewhisper7) For character #1, I think that her name should do something related to the sun or a flower, like Sunstar, or Lily.

For character #2, I think that his name should be Jake. To me, that's a bad boy name, and it sounds sort of cool in a way.

For character #3, his name should be something honest, like Blake, or Justin.

I hope this helps! :D

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments thanks :D

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments I dont think i can name any of my characters (ever) Jake, cuz i have this friend named Jake and i just always hav the image of him in my head when i hear the name Jake and he is NOT a bad boy hhahahahah. so yeah

message 7: by Audrey ~ EXO-L (new)

Audrey ~ EXO-L (lunewhisper7) oopsy! let me think of another name...*rubs temples* "Ammmmmmm....." oh, you can try Blaze, or raz. They are really good names that are just simply weird. XD my specialty!

message 8: by Audrey ~ EXO-L (new)

Audrey ~ EXO-L (lunewhisper7) Oh yeah, I forgot about the name Jasper! Darn! Oh, and Walt might be a good name too. Also, some names that I made up are:

Lightstar
Starlight
Moonlight

Some other names:

Emiko
Aoi
Lune
Artemis

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Another thing i should probably say - there is nothing paranormal or magical in this book. It's just a teen romance thing.

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments And I'm pretty sure my main character is Jade and my bad boy is Tanner (I love that name :) ) But whenever I see a name for my red head boy, it just doesnt fit

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Thanks :) I actually have Sean in a different book, so that won't work for this one :P
Any one think the name Gale, Matt, Luke, Drew, Patch (nickname for Peter), Will, Josh, or Logan would work?

message 12: by Audrey ~ EXO-L (new)

Audrey ~ EXO-L (lunewhisper7) I like the name Luke and Will! Sorry for the names I gave.

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments hahaha its fine :) also I'm thinking about Sam or Sammy. I think my favorites are Gale and Patch, but I'm not sure they fit him as well

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments yeah. I think Patch would fit him better than Gale...but also there are two really popular books that have both those names so I don't wanna feel unoriginal

message 15: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I like Drew or Logan best from that list. They aren't names you see all the time in books, but they're still fairly "normal" names. (:

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments yea. And also there's a Gale in the Hunger Games.
OK, so i want the name to say that he's the best friend, the sweet guy that's always there for you, so comforting, so caring. Perfect to hold hands with, hug, kiss. Someone who's best friends with him can't help but fall for him eventually. When he loves you, he loves you more than anyone else. Just his touch sparks your heart like a flame. He's someone who you cant stop thinking about. That's what i want the name to say

message 17: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I knew a Logan who was a total sweetheart. When you describe him, that's exactly the name I picture to the face.

But it's your story! (:

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha yeah true :) But I really am leaning towards either Gale or Patch (a nickname for Peter)

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha really? thats funny :) anyone else got opinions?

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Yeah, I've got an Aunt Gail, so...x)

Patch would be the better of the two, I think. (:

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha any more votes for either?

message 22: by Audrey ~ EXO-L (new)

Audrey ~ EXO-L (lunewhisper7) vote for patch!

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments 3 for patch, none for gale?

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha still thinking about it. Maybe I should write a scene with him in it that I think I'll have in the book and post it on here to give you guys more idea of his character

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (howlingbutterfly) When you described him, my first thought was "It's Alfred E. Newman!" (from MAD Magazine). So my thoughts are Alfred, Alvin, Allen, Albert... anything where it could be shortened to Al.

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha I've never heard of that.

message 27: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Ok so here's a little scene I just wrote. I haven't even started writing any more of the book, so this will more than likely not even be in it once I get to it. I just thought I'd introduce him this way.
Ok so I used the name Patch for this one, but you can tell me your opinions on whether it should be changed to Gale or something else.
Also, I like JUST wrote this, so it's not edited, or looked over at all, so it'll pretty much suck. Also, this scene shows a joking side to him, but he also has a romantic, and a very soft and sweet side. So just imagine that :)

message 28: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments I slam the door behind me and cross the room to my computer. I sit in the chair in front of it and grab the phone off its mantle. I dial the familiar number of my best friend.
“Hello?”
“Hey, Chels. It’s me.”
“Jade! How are you? How’s living with your aunt and uncle?”
“It’s horrible!” I reply, throwing my hands in the air, though I know she can’t see. “The school sucks. It’s really small and there’s this one guy named Tanner. He’s super annoying and thinks he’s all that.”
A pause. “Is he hot?”
I laugh. That’s just like Chelsea, to only care if the guy’s hot. “Yeah, a little,” I admit.
“Ooh! Tell me all about him.”
“There’s nothing to tell,” I begin. Then a crashing noise outside stops me from continuing. I turn down the music I had blasting from my computer and listen.
“Jade?” comes the voice from the phone.
“Oh, hold on a sec,” I say, setting the phone down. I walk to my window and draw up the blinds. A tree in between my yard and the yard of my new neighbors blocks my view from most of the neighborhood. I crane my neck to see farther. I hear the crash again, and this time a red headed boy falls from the tree with a thump. My hands fly to my mouth and I watch as he picks himself back up. Curious now, I rush out of my room and dive out the front door. There he is, brushing leaves off his shirt and out of his spiky hair.
“Who are you?” I ask cautiously, drawing closer.
The boy looks up, stunned. I’m surprised that he’s actually attractive. I have not met many red heads in my time, and never a cute one. His skin is light and free of any flaw. He’s taller than me, I can tell from here.
The surprise on his face gives way to a look of amusement. “Look what we have here,” he says with a friendly smirk. “I take it you’re the new kid on the block?”
“Er, yeah,” I say. I hesitate as he steps closer.
He notices.
“I don’t bite, princess.” He’s closer now. Close enough that I can see his eyes are a deep green. Beautiful, really. And his features are so sharp, yet his expression is so gentle and soft. He reaches a hand toward my hair, and I slap it away.
“What, never seen a girl before?” I say.
“Oh, I’ve seen a girl. Just never one who wears a beetle in her hair.”
“What?” I’m stunned.
“Are you not aware that you have an insect on your head?” He reaches out and plucks a beetle from my hair.
I fight the sudden feeling to puke.
“Hmm,” he says, examining it. “Must have fallen from your roof when you were walking out after spying on me in your room.” He looks at me, an eyebrow raised.
My jaw drops. “I was not spying on you.”
“Sure, princess.” He smiles, flashing his perfect white teeth. Then he offers a hand to me, expecting me to shake it. “Peter Romero at your service. But you can call me Patch.”
I take his hand. He holds it slightly longer than necessary, then coughs as if that’ll cover it up. After a few seconds of pause, he says, “So, princess, you have a name?”
“Jade.”
“Well, Jade,” he steps aside from my view of the tree. “Would you like to join me?”
“Join you for what?”
“I’m building a tree house,” he says, as if the fact should be obvious.

message 29: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments any ideas, peoples?

message 30: by Loumangkessor (new)

Loumangkessor Chhouk (loumangkessor_chhouk) | 41 comments Destiny wrote: "I slam the door behind me and cross the room to my computer. I sit in the chair in front of it and grab the phone off its mantle. I dial the familiar number of my best friend.
“Hello?”
“Hey, Che..."

Oh, wow, I love it :D

message 31: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha thanks. Do you think a different name would be better?

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (SarahRWeldon-author) | 6045 comments Destiny wrote: "haha thanks. Do you think a different name would be better?"

Red hair is associated with the Irish, is your character of Irish parentage if so he has to be Logan, or Liam or Niall or Patrick!

A little advice to help your story flow better don't fall into the trap of over stating the obvious, for example 'he shook his head' 'He walked accross the room and sat on the chair in the corner'!

Try using 'Direct Sensation' in its place takes some practise but when it clicks your writing will flow!

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha yeah thanks but I wasn't writing this to be good - just to show the character of Patch. And yeah, I had thought of Liam some, but because of Liam Hemsworth, I can't think of Liam as anybody but a blonde kid :P

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments well stealing the scene would be...stealing. haha. so dont do that ;) haha. And yeah, Seth would actually be really good. I had a friend named Seth before and he's sort of like this character...

message 35: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I think I still stand by Logan, or even Benji (that is so adorable, hahha). I don't know if Patch really fits. It kind of sounds like the name of a puppy or something, hahaha. (:

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments i will never use benji :P And how does Patch sound like a dog name lol??? He's supposed to be this freaking hot guy in some other book :P

message 37: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments but maybe I can change that :) *evil laugh*

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (SarahRWeldon-author) | 6045 comments If you want people to associate with your character and his hair colour you got to give them a bit of a clue. You have either got to go with an Irish name or an off the wall name and then describe him. How old is your character? That also plays a part give him an age and then check through the most popular names recorded for that year and choose one! Simple, Patch is a nick name or the name of a dog with a patch on one eye!

message 39: by Erika (new)

Erika aslysA | 10 comments I am just going to interject randomly here and say that 1) patch does kinda sound like a dog name, to me any way
2) I like the name matthew :) all the matthews I know in real life are total sweethearts!
3) if not matthew, then Josh ;)

message 40: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I'm thinking of Patch the Perfect Kitten. It's a children's book I had when I was little.

I just don't picure "hot guy" when I hear the name. I picture something adorable and fluffy; definitely not a guy. This might present a problem for me when I do eventually read Hush, Hush.

message 42: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Thalia wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Patch-Perfect-K...

Just saying."

hahahhaha thats hilarious

message 43: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments Erika wrote: "I am just going to interject randomly here and say that 1) patch does kinda sound like a dog name, to me any way
2) I like the name matthew :) all the matthews I know in real life are total sweethe..."

in answer to your numbers.....

1) yea it sounded weird the first time i heard it, but some of my favorite books have guys with really weird names but i end up loving their names because of their characters. that's my goal when i write books. well, one of them :P

2) yea i really do like the name matthew...but the guy I like is actually named Matthew (Matt) and ...well...I'm not gonna name a character after him, unfortunately, 'cause he kinda only hurt me. so I'm not gonna make a character named Matt 'cause I know, for me, it'll just be replacing him in my head, and that wont go too well :P ik that probably sounds insane to all you guys but whatever :P haha :)

3) I LOVE THE NAME JOSH. but i think of it as a hot guy, not this red haired dude in my book :P

message 44: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments So NO ONE likes the name Gale?? haha thats unbelievable. and I'm actually growing on the name Patch...haha it might stay that way

message 45: by Erika (new)

Erika aslysA | 10 comments Yeah I kinda understand the matthew things :P

and I thought of the name Josh because (I don't know if you guys have ever read the Gallagher Girl books, if you havent read them cause they are my favorite books ever!) he is a really sweet adorable guy in the story which I think is what you are going for

message 46: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments haha yea. I just don't know what i want quite yet :P

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (SarahRWeldon-author) | 6045 comments Destiny wrote: "haha yea. I just don't know what i want quite yet :P"

numerology pick several different names and run them through a numerology chart you will see their character traits and then you can choose the perfect name. This is how I choose the names for my characters it gives them depth and force!

message 48: by Sarah (last edited Aug 05, 2011 02:34AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (SarahRWeldon-author) | 6045 comments :Your chosen name of Peter Romero with patch as the name he goes by gives you this:-

He has a life path of 3

Your tendancy to live for today and not for tomorrow is a blessing as well as a curse for you as you journey alone your life path. The drawback of this is that you are easily distracted from your responsibilities.

He has an Expression of 4

You are creative intelligent and have an attentiveness to detail that can border on obsession!

He has a soul urge of 9

Ethical humantiarian with sharp intuition your faith in god is strong but you are apt to fall on your sword in order to prove you are right. Which more often than not means you are 'dead right'! You are a sensitive loner who posesses psychic powers but will never use this power for making money for himself.

I gave your character a birthdate of 5 August 1997 making him 14 today! This is numerology for a free reading go to www.numerology.com

message 49: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments hahaha thats cool. a lot of that is true for the character, but a lot is like just messed up :P and i dont believe in numerology anyways, but it is fun to do that stuff for laughs :)

message 50: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) | 237 comments ~IMPORTANT~

I made a new topic in the "My Writing" Discussion called "Destiny's Writing." That'll have some of my book in there and other short stories and stuff, if you wanna check them out

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread