Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) Dead in the Family discussion

plot inconsistencies

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Coldcity **SPOILERS**

The biggest problem with DF is the maker/child love connection.
It's a major plot issue. In Club Dead, Eric, again and again, talks about how infrequent it is for two vampires to be lovers and stay connected, such as what happened between Bill and Lorena. Then, in a later book Pam says she and Eric were lovers for a long time after she was create. Then, in DF, Eric says he and his maker were lovers for years and that, in fact, if his maker asked him, he would have sex with him again. WTH? I am no fan of Bill at all, but then how could Sookie be mad at him for going off with Lorena and cheating on her? Eric pretty much said he would do the same if asked by his maker, and he and Sookie were married at that point. Is CH trying to make us hate all vamps so Sookie ends up with Sam? Ending up with Sam would be a total cop-out. He's almost a non-entity.

message 2: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Eric and Sookie were never really married.

Other than that, you're right. But if you don't want plot inconsistencies, you should prob. steer clear of this series, b/c they only get more and more common as the series goes on.

Coldcity Lena wrote: "Eric and Sookie were never really married.

Yes, they were. Vampire marriage is a marriage in this world.

You're right, however, about the inconsistencies. I enjoy the characters for the most part and read this series over a period of a few months. The TV show (which I don't watch) has made this series much bigger than it would have been otherwise. I'm not sure that has helped with the books and their development.

message 4: by Adria (new) - added it

Adria Coldcity wrote: "**SPOILERS**

The biggest problem with DF is the maker/child love connection.
It's a major plot issue. In Club Dead, Eric, again and again, talks about how infrequent it is for two vampires to ..."

Here's the problem, if Eric's maker ordered him to have sex with him, he would HAVE to. You have to listen to your maker even if you don't want to.

Mary @Amber: Lorena released Bill in the TV series. I cannot remember if she did in the books. If she did, a command from the maker would no longer have the same effect as if she had not released him...right? That is what I got.

Hitandmiss Personaly I think the whole Bill, Eric and Sookie triangle is sooo overly forced its dull. She was SOOOO Anti Eric and Pro Bill, it was pretty much all over, She gets a few problems and Eric acts cute and shes all over him. Then Shes sooo Anti Bill Pro Eric is stupid.

Writer is just looking for excuses to change BF so theres something to write about, its obvious in the latter books that when theres nonthing fresh to talk about she fails to create a convincing storyline, *Fae being taking up painting - FFS is this the best thing they could be doing with there powers/time?*

Also I think the BF change was just an excuse to Powerup a BF as its been shown that Bill is young as a Vamp, and Vamp power comes from age. Writer needs a stronger partner as Sookie has to fight Higher lvl baddies and Higher threatening Vamps.

Also to Op's point, She forgives Eric for him being forced by a higher lvl Vamp, But Bill being forced to get to know Sookie and she HATES him.

Alexandra I don't think that CH is trying to make us hate the vampires but while reading this book it was very obvious that she is trying to set up the Sam/Sookie coupling. This part about the maker relationship annoyed me in the books because there is never any hints about being release from either Applus or Lorena as it was in the show so Bill going to Lorena makes sense because that was his maker and even if Eric said the same thing it makes sense. I don't consider this to be an inconsistency because at the time Eric said to Sookie about Bill and Lorena it was a plan to destroy whatever was left of the relationship and Sookie even said in this book that she understood it better after what she felt with Eric so obviously he was lying.

Kirby Mary wrote: "@Amber: Lorena released Bill in the TV series. I cannot remember if she did in the books. If she did, a command from the maker would no longer have the same effect as if she had not released him..."

I haven't gotten to any lorena parts in the show, yet, but- I do remember that in the book, lorena supposedly commands bill to leave sookie, and then sookie rescues bill and kills lorena.

I don't remember there being anything in the books about a maker being able to release a progeny...

message 9: by Blakely (new)

Blakely It's been a while since I've read most of this series, but I thought Eric was forced to have sex with his maker. Whichever book that was in had come out right after season 2 (?) of the show. And I remember thinking how interesting it was that the tv show turned his maker into a sweet martyr while in the books he was actually a sexual tyrant. Maybe I am just remembering that incorrectly, though.

Sati Marie Frost If you HAVE to obey your sire, why was Alexei able to attack Ocella? Was that just because he was nuts, and his brain didn't work properly so the rules didn't apply anymore, kinda like the way Bubba can enter houses uninvited due to his brain damage? Or do you think Ocella couldn't even get a cease-and-desist order in before he got jumped?

Missyb Blakely wrote: "It's been a while since I've read most of this series, but I thought Eric was forced to have sex with his maker. Whichever book that was in had come out right after season 2 (?) of the show. And I ..."

the show changed a lot of things.

23skadoo40 Sati Marie wrote: "If you HAVE to obey your sire, why was Alexei able to attack Ocella? Was that just because he was nuts, and his brain didn't work properly so the rules didn't apply anymore, kinda like the way Bubb..."

Exactly! How is it Ocella had more control over Eric than Alexei? (Look at Eric & Pam relationship, Pam is unable to refuse a direct order from Eric.)

Regarding Sookie's selective memory :
I think Sookie's feeling is more hurt than hate. She realized she wasn't priority #1 with Bill despite his love for her. She knows that Bill will always choose his vamp bosses orders over her because he is powerless not to.

I question how much of Sookie feelings for Eric is TRULY her own. Sookie is his favorite toy of the moment. But hey, why be with Soldier Bill when you can have Chief Eric.

I've watched seasons 1 & 2 of True Blood. I found it fun to compare the storylines vs the books.

Abbie I agree that Sookie is hurt and disillusioned when she finds out Bill was dating her on orders and I think she just couldn't trust him after that. That happens all the time in movies like "She's all that," "10 things I hate about you (hey dates back to Shakespeare from Taming of the Shrew)" and "How to lose a guy in 10 days" (though I have never heard of it happening in real life, has anyone?) where they contrive a reason for an unlikely match and have them fall in love (though in the movies they forgive and live happily ever after). Maybe the deeper theme to take away is - get to know people, you might like them.
So anyway, I think it is more about how the relationship started than how it ended for Sookie in the betrayal department.

I agree that the maker/child relationship is confusing (and kind of gross) but I think that actually fits with the whole scary-vamps-with-violent-and-complex-hierarchy/relationships, and I agree with poster above who points out that it's Sookie's POV and she relates it the way she fuzzily understands it.

I also think it would be lame if she ended up with Sam. It would be like she dated every guy in town and when she ran out of them she settled on her boss. That seems like a likely scenario however since she is always saying he's hot, she already proved she loves him with the CD, and she isn't dating him b/c he is her boss etc, but now it is set up so they are co-owners of the bar and so work equals.

message 14: by Christine (last edited May 28, 2013 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christine Blakely wrote: "It's been a while since I've read most of this series, but I thought Eric was forced to have sex with his maker. Whichever book that was in had come out right after season 2 (?) of the show. And I ..."
The problem came in the series. The series made Godric into Eric's maker. In the books Ocella is Eric's maker. That might be your confusion. Ocella is a sexual deviant who preys on younger boys. Godric is a very old vampire who is very reasonable, and a likable character in the series.

message 15: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Mary wrote: "@Amber: Lorena released Bill in the TV series. I cannot remember if she did in the books. If she did, a command from the maker would no longer have the same effect as if she had not released him..."

if you have read the books then you would have to remember (because it is mentioned in alomost every single book afterwards)that Sookie killed Lorena while Lorena had Bill chained up and was torturing him.... you can't compare the books with the tv show because they are too different and have been so since season 2 or book 2 whichever you give your attention to.

message 16: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Hitandmiss wrote: "Personaly I think the whole Bill, Eric and Sookie triangle is sooo overly forced its dull. She was SOOOO Anti Eric and Pro Bill, it was pretty much all over, She gets a few problems and Eric acts c..."

It's Bills dishonesty that Sookie hates and ruins their relationship. they obviously become very good friends later on. Sookie, up to the last book, has not found Eric being dishonest with her, or has not given her a good enough reason to hate him.

message 17: by Jay (last edited May 27, 2013 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay In all reality (hahaha) Sookie should end up with Quinn. They were well suited to each other, attracted to each other, and Quinn did everything he thought was best to protect her and when that wasn't enough, he did everything he could to make the changes she needed so that they could be together. She didn't give him enough of a chance. Of course, it wouldn't have fit into Ms. Harris' plans that she pick Sam if she was already with a were instead of vampire.

message 18: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Do you think that this series would have been better if it was allowed to grow organically or was Ms. Harris right in determining the ending before the last half of the series was written?

Hitandmiss Jay wrote: has not found Eric being dishonest with her,"

Eric is constantly dishonest, every single thing he does is peddled in half truths. He constantly keeps her in the dark and never really tells her the full truth till she finds it out. Yet she never really has a problem with this.

Yet

Bill's 1 lie was a command from his Queen to observe Sookie. He stuck his neck out of her a lot, yet she ended up hating him.

Still... Meh... I contend that the love triangle is forced as the situation that binds them together is nothing but circumstance, as soon as there not desperately trying to avoid a catastrophe, she realises she doesn't really like them...

I got no problem with her hating Bills "lie" but at least hold Eric to the same standard.

message 20: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay I agreee with you about the forced situations. I am currently rereading the entire series before I read the finale so i am seeing things a little differently than when I read them one at a time.
Eric has told her that he doesn't tell her everything. And she told him that she doesn't tell him everything either.
Bill seduced her and told her that he loved her while doing his snooping for the queen. if he had told her about his "assignment" before he slept with her, it would have been different. Also, there was something mentioned (sorry, i don't remember which book)about Bill giving Sookie blood the night he saved her life.... like he could have done something about the Ratrays before they had beaten Sookie so badly but didn't because he wanted the bond with her. So, even though I truly believe that he does honestly love her, and by the end she realizes it too, so much has happened that she can't trust him anymore.
Also, in book 10 or 11 Sookie indicates that she and Eric have had a "regular" dating relationship (movies, dancing, dinners out, long late night phone calls) but we don't get enough details of in the books.
All this said-- I wanted her to end up with Quinn!

Hitandmiss gertt wrote: "I know many fans loved Eric, actually I loved his character too, but I loved what he was, not what others wished he would be. "

Completely agree,

And this is what's soo disappointing with the ending. Eric turns from a problem solving Nordic bad ass, to a whiny needy unable to do anything idiot. His whole problem being, "My dead maker signed a contract before he died"

There's just so many legal loopholes and demands he could of tried to buy some time while he came up with a plan to get out of it. But instead he just did nothing and whined.