Start by marking “Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

Dead in the Family

(Sookie Stackhouse #10)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  144,510 ratings  ·  5,435 reviews
It's all about family ...

Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being who arrives with Eric's 'brother' in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her a
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 311 pages
Published May 4th 2010 by Ace Books (first published 2010)

·  144,510 ratings  ·  5,435 reviews

Jayson
(B) 74% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Despite interesting backgrounders and an all-in play on the family theme, it's critically low on plot and development.
Juicy Fruit
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful, vampires
INCONSISTENT is the word for this book. That is, inconsistent with the other books.

There are just so many things that make dubious sense in a way too short book, which doesn't even take advantage of the subplots and just lets them rot and eventually spoil the book.

Not to mention that the actual plot was such a mess. Weak, really. Not a chance of any tension build-up.

I am also very bothered by the logic, which, for the most part is nonexistent.

The love scenes could have been a bit interesting, wi
Stacy
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shannan and I love, LOVE this series. It is fun, never boring, filled with entertaining mysteries and is often quite humorous…and other things I am too prudish to write.

The book starts off with a very morose Sookie, but who can blame her after being tortured, physically and mentally? Slowly, and thankfully, Sookie does return to her Sookie self. Just in time really, because all her friends are having family issues and Sookie being Sookie, she is there to help. Oh, and there is a mystery of the n
Mrs. Badass
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Disappointing to say the least. The whole book was rather boring. There were a few interesting parts, but overall, I skimmed a lot because it didn't add to the plot or story, and I was very irritated with the lack of Eric and Sookie. It seemed like Harris is trying to tell us they won't end up together. With Eric's Maker telling Sookie that she'll never keep Eric, with Bill confessing more, with Alcide confessing more, With Eric being absent a lot, and no communication with Sookie for days at at ...more
Shannon
Hrm. I'm not exactly sure how I felt about this one, it was just kind of meh. There were too many storylines going on and things were tied up way too neatly.

I've also come to the realization that I like Sookie and Eric better when she's fighting her attraction to him. As a couple, they've kind of lost their appeal, which is weird, because he's always been my favorite pick for her. I think Charlaine writes better sexual tension and conflict than actual sex scenes.

The title of this installment is
Chloe
Dear Charlaine Harris,

You can stop now. You have officially sucked all the life out of all of your characters and made them all eminently dislikable. I know this is your cash cow but, please, let Alan Ball take over for you and you can go and do... whatever it is that you do to occupy your time. Bake moon pies? Write Robert Pattinson fanfic? Hunt for the long-mythologized swamp weasel of South Carolina? Anything would be an improvement over you letting your imagination continue to run amok in Bo
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
After the last two books, I think I was expecting a little more from this book than what I got. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and would've given it a 3.5 had it been an option.

My biggest problem is that while I know this is a clearly a transitional book, very little happens that is of consequence (if we're being set up for something big in a later book, Harris has done a poor job of building tension/momentum).

It was also very choppy, as if significant edits were made and you can see the
valee
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book was not what I expected. I waited so long for it that I just wanted more of it. I mean after all the time it took to get published, the book could have been a bit longer. Still it was much better than the previous book.

I loved to finally see Sookie and Eric in a real relationship. It seemed so natural. I was extremely happy as well because Sookie even considered how it would be to be changed into a vampire. Finally. Although she didn't give much thought to it, just a paragraph,lol, and
Kat Kennedy
Dead in the family isn't a book that you can easily judge on its own. Dead in the Family is really just a filler book between the Fairy battle of last book and the inevitable show down with the King of Louisiana and his people to come.

This makes it hard to review because, to be honest, nothing really happens. We have what I would call a short story "arc" to bridge us between what I would consider the main story. Sookie finishes up in this book much the same as she started though she has undergon
Andreea Daia
Once upon a time there was a handsome Viking with a great sense of humor. He was no prince like the people from the realm of HBO seem to believe – just the garden variety Northman. But where he lacked in nobility he made up in boldness, generosity, and zest.

He had a perky girlfriend who was not only openhearted but gifted above all other humans with nerve, wits, and a sixth sense. They loved each other, although not always in a conventional way, and they tried hard to make their relationship wo
The Flooze
Why, oh why had I been so worried?

Displeased with Sookie’s attitude and the overall plot of Dead and Gone, I was reluctant to start Dead in the Family. Concern that the series had finally lost its luster made me hold off. I was a fool.

Dead in the Family is a wonderful addition to the Southern Vampire Mysteries. The dialogue is comfortable, the characters are true to form, and the plot rolls along steadily, touching on all the key threads that make this series a success. Harris returns to Bon Te
Jen
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This review is for an ARC.

I would say that Charlaine wasn't joking when she said the title for this book was very apt. It is all about family. Blood families and packs alike. I liked how each corner of the Sookieverse gets a look in, and something about that family is developed - the humans, the fairies, the weres and the vampire families all get story time.

The character of Eric is filled in wonderfully in this book, and his fans will be delighted with how he, his history, and his family are wr
Alyssa
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Tatiana
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Sookie Stackhouse
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
Charlaine Harris's books are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. They are not great works of literature and not written terribly well, and yet I never cease to enjoy them. Same applies to this newest addition to the Sookie Stackhouse series - Dead in the Family, only this book adds another dimension to the expression "guilty pleasure," because more than any other book in this series it has a soap-operish feel to it.

For one, it is virtually impossible to give a short summary of this installment
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dead in the Family is a great book. I used to love this series, adored the characters, but it has one of the worst endings ever! Do not read the last book. Stay away from it. But this one, and the ones before and the two after are fine. But stay away from the last book!
Emily May
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-uf, 2011
This is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series that I actually didn't want to finish. I only did out of tradition because I've been with this series for so long. It's gone from being a 4 star addiction to a 3 star guilty pleasure... and now it's gone down to a dismal 2 stars. It's so disappointing.

I guess I just really don't care anymore.

The novel was slow and boring. Nothing really happened to contribute to the overall plot, the whole story was just quite pitiful. The only parts I reall
Trish
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a day and a half...and I tried to pace myself. I wanted more Sookie and Eric, but I ALWAYS want more Sookie and Eric!! I loved it anywho, but am eagerly awaiting book eleven...
Wanda
2019 Re-Read

The “Pam is Awesome” volume.
“Fangtasia, where all your bloody dreams come true,' said a bored female voice.
'Pam. Listen.'
'The phone is pressed to my ear. Speak.'
'Appius Livius Ocella just dropped in.'
'Fuck a zombie!”

This is the book where Pam becomes my favourite vampire (though Bill is still in the running). I love the deadpan lines that Harris writes for this cold blonde.

As in this conversation between Sookie and Pam:
Pam: “How is Eric?'
Sookie: 'Very tightly wound. Plus, a lot of
AH
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I missed Sookie and Eric and all of the Bon Temps gang.

Charlaine Harris can sure tell a good story. She takes the most boring and mundane details of life in a small town and makes it an interesting and humorous read. I had to chuckle when a comment was made about the patrons of Merlotte’s singing Bad Things by Jace Everett so loud that Sookie couldn’t hear the conversation she was having with Sam.

So many things happen in this book. The weres are coming out and this would have been a gre
Jamie Collins
Jun 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
I could swear that the earlier books weren't this badly written. Rather than invest more time in composing a coherent review, I'm just going to make a random list of complaints:

* Lifeless writing, tons of exposition and little characterization. I thought the best bits of the writing were the phone conversations.

* The utter ruin of Eric's character. He spends this entire book being vaguely and ineffectually afraid. And the sex scenes were cringe-worthy.

* Alexei the vampire. Yes, that Alexei. I th
Ria
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Geez Louise.- Sookie Stackhouse, 2010 A.D.
‘’-He asked me if he could stay here for a while…
-You are letting a man live with you…..
-Believe me, he’s not interested in me as a woman…He’s all about the guys.’’

Bitch you know he ain’t gay. Also you can just say to your weird and possessive ‘’husband’’ that he is your COUSIN!!!!! I swear to fucking God my poor brain cell. BTW I like how everyone is like ‘’omfg Sookie you are letting a guy stay over’’ and she is like ‘he is gay and my cousin’’ b
Marcia
Nov 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: harris-charlaine
Having followed Sookie Stackhouse's adventures since the first book was published (way back in 2001, I think), I have certain expectations from the series. This book failed to meet them completely. In fact, it was so poorly written (and plotted), I could not even finish it, skipping from here to there, as though it were a collection of disjointed short stories. My personal opinion is that since True Blood debuted on HBO, Charlaine Harris has lost her Mojo. She doesn't even seem to know who her c ...more
Marianne
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ★s

Dead in the Family is the tenth full-length novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. As Sookie recovers from torture suffered during the fae conflict, she learns of a bequest left her in a fairy will. She also learns the magnitude of her great grandfather’s influence when the FBI call off their enquiry. After reluctantly seeing off her houseguest, Amelia, Sookie is puzzled when her newly-discovered cousin wants to share her house, citing lonelines
Autumn Doughton
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Elle's Book Blog
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
:: 3.5 Pretty Little Stars ::

Unfortunately, this is not my favorite Sookie Stackhouse novel. This is not to say that I thought the book was bad because that’s not it. It just didn’t have the “spark” that some of her previous novels had. In this particular book, you can feel the weight of Sookies problems that have been resting on her shoulders due to the ordeal she had with the Fae war. This makes the book rather dark and depressing to be honest. Sookie is not her usual light hearted self in t
Poppy Fields
Dropped everything for this book! Great Mother's day gift! I enjoyed the book but it is probably my least favorite in the series so far. I was glad to be back with Sookie again. She is like an old friend now. Her personality is refreshing, charasmatic, and unique. The story, while good,just was not as exciting as previous books but it was very enjoyable to get to find out more about the history of Eric and Bill and get to know more about Claude.

I went back a month later and listened to this book
Carolyn F.
Re-reading by audiobook for 2nd time - 04/19/11 - also have hardback

Great book and ditto for the review below with maybe the reference to the Look candy bar removed. What was I thinking? Love this series and can't wait until the next book comes out - May 2011!!!!!!

PREVIOUS REVIEW - After reading this book, I remember why this series is one of my top 5 favorites. It's like the Look candy bar to me. During my pregnancy with my oldest daughter I would walk to the store each workday and buy one beca
Chloe
Jan 04, 2010 marked it as to-read
Jim
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Another good book in the series. I'm amazed at how she's keeping the quality & consistency of the writing up. The series should certainly be read in order - it's a soap opera. If you don't know the history, you'll miss the emotional attachments to characters & won't understand their struggles.

Definitely worth reading for anyone who likes the series so far. I can't wait for the next!

29May11 - I read this a year ago & re-read it as part of the marathon to catch up for book 11. I wasn't
Richard Derus
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: It's all about family ...

Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being who arrives with Eric's "brother" in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbor (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton.

In addition to the multitude of family is
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Eye of the Tempest (Jane True, #4)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Dreamfever (Fever, #4)
  • Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
“I hurt with you. I bled with you - not only because we're bonded but because of the love I have for you. -- Eric Northman” 228 likes
“Fuck a zombie!” 141 likes