Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Books to Read with my Little Sis

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Henderson I'm a Big with Big Brothers Big Sister's and one of the successful activities that my little and I have done in the past is pick a series of books to read and discuss together. We read all of the Percy Jackson books after the movie came out. Can anyone recommend a series or stand alone book that appropriate for an 11 year old that would also be a good read for me.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, I really liked the Percy Jackson books and I'm about to start the last book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6183 comments Mod
Something like The Five Sisters, or anything on the library shelf next to it, by Margaret Mahy, could be fun and also bring up some conversation/ discussion ideas.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Have you tried The Lost Hero, The Red Pyramid or the Artemis Fowl series?

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5657 comments Mod
Larklight: A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space & sequels

I find that mysteries can be fun to discuss together since you are both guessing as it goes along:
The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour

Congratulations on your great work! I love that you are including reading as part of your time together.

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Henderson thanks for the ideas. i'll definitely check these out.

message 6: by David (new)

David | 101 comments I would Suppest the {book: Ranger's Apprentice] series by John Flanagan. Though the main character is a male, there are some strong female characters too.

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Henderson these are all awesome suggestions

message 8: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments My 9-year-old grandson loves the "Warriors" series that begins with Into the Wild. I read them when he finishes and we have a lot of fun talking about them. I would also second the recommendations of The Red Pyramid and its sequel, The Throne of Fire, as well as The Lost Hero and its upcoming sequel,The Son of Neptune.

Kailey (Luminous Libro) (luminouslibro) I also heartily recommend "Artemis Fowl,"and the "Mysterious Benedict Society" series.

I'll add the "Keys to the Kingdom" series by Garth Nix, beginning with Mister Monday. Those books are fantastically imaginative. I'm always in wonder and awe that so many diverse stories and creations came from one man's head.