What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Is for AARRGH!
This topic is about A Is for AARRGH!
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Book about cavemen [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Hello I remember reading a book about cavemen like people, i think it was a love story, but one character left the main group and lived on his own. i also remember them using turtle shells as money, i think they called them greenbacks or something like that.

Amber Bradfield | 7 comments Could it be the clan of the cave bear series? It is based around cave people...though the main character is a woman.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments there was no representative money or trading like that in that series, though.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (spiraling) | 21 comments It sounds a little like People of the Wolf or another of those novels (W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear wrote a bunch of novels in that setting), but it's been 15+ years since I read that so I can't be terribly sure.

It's definitely not Clan of the Cave Bear.

message 5: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe | 1 comments David: it's called "A is for AARRGH"
-Phoebe

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) A is for Aarrgh! looks like a funny book - it's now on my shelves - I hope David comes back and tells us this is solved. :)

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
David, are you still looking for this? Was it A is for Aarrgh?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Yes, moving to Solved.

From Kirkus:

"Here’s some caveman satire from Brooke (A Brush with Magic, 1993, etc.), who focuses on young Mog; his invention of the Word revolutionizes the lives of his parents, Brog and Pog, and everyone else in the club-wielding tribe. It also gives glib, venal Drog a weapon. Although Mog finds a fascinating companion in a wandering young woman dubbed Teller for her ability to transform his words into stories, he still feels under-appreciated, and departs in a huff, leaving Drog free to convert the Tribe to an economy based on turtle shells (“greenbacks”) and to invent wealth, debt, politics, jails, and organized religion. In time, Mog and Teller return to cut Drog down to size, helped by a well-timed eclipse and a saber-toothed tiger with the heart of a pussycat; Mog invents the alphabet, and Teller, the limerick."