Manga Book Club discussion

Manga Book Club Map > Introducing Me

Comments Showing 1-50 of 438 (438 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Veena (new)

Veena | 2 comments Hey GUys. My name is Veena and I am a huge fan of manga's. I just started reading them 2 months ago and now I am so in to it. I havent read much as too some of you guys but i sure will try to read lots. I will be participating in the reading manga event and i hope i read lots lots & lots. Hope i get lots of friends and i get to know different type of people. thx xD

message 2: by Mansi (new)

Mansi (DevilRebel62) | 14 comments HIII!

message 3: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
It's a very addictive hobby! No worries, as your addiction grows, so will your reading list.

Dots of Springtempo i'm dotss
ehehehe
and i started a blog, like yesterday
strawbeetrash.blogspot.com
and i'm currently going through gakuen alice and posting summaries... well, more like my thoughts on the chapter
just to keep myself sane and so i can rant about the mangas i read xD
but once i catch up to the current chapters, i'm planning on doing the same with kuroshitsuji, pandora hearts, bride of the water god, watashi ni xx shinasai, black bird, kare kano, phantom dream, dn angel, and backstage prince
feedback would be nice... ehehe

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) Hello! Name is Danielle. I've been reading manga since the 5th grade (and now I'm in my second yr of college. wow. That seems like a long time).
My favorite mangaka is Clamp because I've always loved their artwork and their stories.
At the current moment, I'm rereading the mangas I have in my collection and trying to complete the series that I do have (like Aria, but now that both companies are out of publication, I'm basically treasure hunting for the books online and I need to complete my collection of Fruits Basket still).
My favorite manga series would be Fruits Basket.
My first manga series was The Slayers and my first anime (I count it because technic. it is an anime) would be Pokemon and my first movie after realizing what anime was would be Princess Monoke. =)

message 6: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin | 8 comments Hi! I am Noran, I am 49 years old, and been reading manga for 7 years now. I started, after my father passed away. We grew up antiquing-now with my parents gone, it was not of interest to me. I attended my first Amine con that same year. My favorites would be Bunny Drop, Chi Sweet Home, Yotsuba&!, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Black Butler, Team Medical, Space Spica Dragon,and Aria.
Fruits Basket was my first manga series.

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments Hi im shizuka i love manga sooooo much

WAY COOLER THAT ANY OTHER BOOK

message 8: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Danielle wrote: "Hello! Name is Danielle. I've been reading manga since the 5th grade (and now I'm in my second yr of college. wow. That seems like a long time).
My favorite mangaka is Clamp because I've always..."

fruits basket should still be relatively easy to complete since it was and still is fairly popular.
but i know what you mean! I have lots that still need completing

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) I just feel like you have to find the real bargin websites, because, for example, on ebay the last time I checked, everyone is making it cost more because Tokyopop went out in the USA.

message 10: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

It's been a while since I've been on ebay. I find amazon to be easier to navigate if you are just looking for a volume or two. Bookstore websites often have a used option too. I think that at the worst Tokyopop will do what Viz did with ShojoBeat. They are just finish publishing stuff they already have running and not start anything new.

It's my opinion that they are premature in the markup. It's not like you can no longer get Tokyopop books in stores, nor did they stop printing all together. Depending on how they are shipped, bookstores might start charging more, but the ebay sellers are just taking advantage of the situation. I'm sorry, I guess I got irritated. It doesn't make what you said untrue, I just think it's unfair

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) It's fine. It's just as soon Tokyopop went bai bai, Books A Million took out the books like the next day. I guess they sent them to the Green Valley Bookfair (which is like a store that opens for a period of times of majorly discounted books and other random things).

message 12: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I had only been into Books a Million once. Half the store seemed to be onsale anyway.

After Borders closed I had to jump to Barnes and Nobles. They had tons of Tokyopop.

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments I HAD 3 BORDERS GIFT CARDS AND NOW THEY ARE WASTED AND I HAD LIKE $50 and $60 and $30 on the cards

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) Would Barnes and Nobles accept them? Because Borders was a subdivision of them.

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments dont know. i think you could also use it at dymocks but some sign said u cant :(

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) Eckie.

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments hey can someone recomend me a book that includes supernatural stuff like vampires and action??????
and a bit of comedy

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) ...Chibi Vampire is just vampires and some comedy...I don't there is a lot of action going on...
I'm sorry. That's the only one I can think of.

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments cool thanxs i probs give it a try

message 20: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Shizuka Hio wrote: "I HAD 3 BORDERS GIFT CARDS AND NOW THEY ARE WASTED AND I HAD LIKE $50 and $60 and $30 on the cards"

I don't know how you missed it, it was closing for almost a year.

message 21: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 379 comments Mod
Shizuka Hio wrote: "hey can someone recomend me a book that includes supernatural stuff like vampires and action??????
and a bit of comedy"

I'm not sure how into OEL mangas you are, but there is a series call Nightschool that has all three of those things in it and is quite awesome!

message 22: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Danielle wrote: "Would Barnes and Nobles accept them? Because Borders was a subdivision of them."

They weren't a subdivision. I do think that Barnes and Nobles picked up the rest of their inventory though. But from what I understand is that, they won't be taking them. There is a website that buys gift cards that you don't want. I don't know if they'll take out of business cards though.

message 23: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (last edited Nov 07, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Hello everybody! My name is Teresa, I just turned 27 yesterday (yikes I'm old) and I've been reading manga for....9 years? I think. I can't really remember XD

My favorite series is Saiyuki by Kazuya Minekura and its fricken awesome! I'm also very excited because Saiyuki Reload had one volume left to be published in the US before Tokyopop went out of business, but I have a friend who lives in Japan right now who went out and got me the last volume and is mailing it to me! My best friend speaks Japanese fluently so she's going to translate it all for me. It's glorious! I'm so happy I was able to obtain that last volume. Unfortunately, Minekura-sensei is now completing the finally chapter of the Saiyuki saga with Saiyuki Reload Blast... so unless another publisher picks it up, I may never know how it all ends :-(

Other series I love are Fruits Basket, Negima, Model, Ai Yori Aoshi, Dramacon, Nightschool, Othello, Black Butler, and well... the list could go on and on. Haha!

message 24: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Shizuka Hio wrote: "hey can someone recomend me a book that includes supernatural stuff like vampires and action??????
and a bit of comedy"

vampire game is fairly good.
vampires, reincarnation, royal drama...

descendants of darkness is also good
shikigami, mystery, sexy guys...

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments Hi I am Jamie, been reading manga for about 8 years. Got into anime first, about 5 before that (12-13 years ago). I am 27 and still love them both. I like manga of all genres and I am currently exploring new manga with the groups challenge of reading 1 a day for a year.

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) ~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Hello everybody! My name is Teresa, I just turned 27 yesterday (yikes I'm old) and I've been reading manga for....9 years? I think. I can't really remember XD

My favorite series is [book:Saiyuki|..."

I also love Saiyuki. Have you watched any of the anime?

message 27: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) Starbubbles wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Would Barnes and Nobles accept them? Because Borders was a subdivision of them."

They weren't a subdivision. I do think that Barnes and Nobles picked up the rest of their invent..."

Oh, for some reason, I just remembered that when they used to be in the mall, they were telling us that they took the Barnes & Nobles membership cards too.

message 28: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

When I got my Barnes and Noble membership, I asked if it was transferable, and my person said no. Obviously, they don't have offical say. But I think it's unlikely. I know that the Borders webbie directs you to B&N, but I don't know much else beyond that.

message 29: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Nov 15, 2011 08:42PM) (new)

Well, I'm Starbubbles. You can call me by a nickname derived from that.
I'll be 26 in about a week, but I often feel as though I'm in perpetual arrested development as a teenager, or some age even younger. But in lots of ways I'm much more comfortable in my own skin, and with my interests (you know, not many people outside of graphic novel fanatics consider interests like anime or manga all that acceptable past 13).

I'm about 4 papers and a 3 hour oral exam away from holding a masters in Public History specializing in Museum Education Programs. I'm super excited and nervous at the same time!

I'm one of the monitors of our lovely group. I run all of the events and general grounds maintenance. It's been really exciting watching our group grow!

message 30: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Happy birthday!!! And congrats on your Masters!!!!!!

hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!! | 25 comments HAPPY BIRTHDAY

message 32: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Thanks!
I just hope I pass everything. All that hard work! Plus, I'm already paying back my student loan. It would be terrible to spend all that money and it not come to anything

message 33: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

I'm sure you'll do JUST fine!!

message 35: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Hello everybody! My name is Teresa, I just turned 27 yesterday (yikes I'm old) and I've been reading manga for....9 years? I think. I can't really remember XD

My favorite series is [book:Saiyuki|..."

How on earth did I miss you saying you had a bday earlier this month?!
Shame on me!
Happy Birthday! only slightly belated

message 36: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

LOL it's okay!! And holla for November birthdays!! XD!!!!!

message 37: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Danielle wrote: "~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Hello everybody! My name is Teresa, I just turned 27 yesterday (yikes I'm old) and I've been reading manga for....9 years? I think. I can't really remember XD

My f..."

OMG Danielle I didn't see your post until JUST now!!

Yes!!!!!!!! I actually watched the anime before I read the manga! The first season is AWESOME!! But the following two sucked so hard: 1) the animation was HORRENDOUS and 2) THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH CAST WAS AMAZING AND THE OTHER SUCKED SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL... but I ended up watching Reload and Reload Gunlock (though I watched them in Japanese because I could NOT stand the Geneon English cast) but... ugh... they were bad. However, I did LOVE the Saiyuki Extras at the end of the episodes! XD

The movie was my favorite! In terms of animation and story, it was the best. And they FINALLY got Gojyo's hair color right! LOL!

In case any of you wanted an update (haha cuz I know you're dying for ;-) ) my BFF now has my Saiyuki Reload volume 10 and is translating it for me! So by Christmas or a week earlier... I WILL HAVE IT AND BE ABLE TO READ IT!! OMG I'm so excited!

message 38: by Rasheta (new)

Rasheta (rashetasedai) | 5 comments I thought I would intro myself, because i'm new. Even though this thread is a bit older. *laughs*

Anyway hi, i'm Rasheta and i'm 28, I started first with anime got obsessed and then started reading manga. I'm an avid cosplayer as well. *laughs* I guess i'm just obsessed with a bunch of stuff. I tend to go into Half Price books and just buy the first Vol. of manga that I've been told are good. Hence why I have the first Vol. of Angel Sanctuary, S*A, and Paradise Kiss. *laughs* I should probably finish collecting the above series as well but haven't yet. *laughs*

Anyway I read a lot when not doing school work or working. I'm not hugely into the fight manga, although I do and probably always will love Bleach. I like the romance manga and i've read a bunch of smut manga which is fun. Not much of a yaoi or yuri gal though. One of my gay friends told me not to worry about it since he isn't either. *laughs* Don't hate us please. Ummm anyway I guess that's it. Other then to say HI!

message 39: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Hi! I think you would love Kenshin, well, if you haven't already read it that is.

It's tough finishing series at Half Price. When I have money, lots of it goes to Half Price too. Plus, depending on the store's policy, you can purchase big chunks of series for very little, or even some for a dollar! It's how I got MARS, Oh My Goddess, Vampire Princess Miyu, Kitchen Princess, and many, many others.

I also started with anime too! Now I barely watch it. :/ Oh well.
Welcome to the group!

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashsweet12) | 1 comments Hi I'm Ashley (: I just recently started reading manga thanks to my friend ! And I've fallen in love with it ! So I'm here so I can find some more good ones and discuss them :D

message 41: by Syri (new)

Syri nixon | 4 comments Hi Im syri i really love manga and the way the main story broad works

message 42: by ~Life of A Quiet Girl~ (last edited Feb 23, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

~Life of A Quiet Girl~ (fairywingsflutter) | 5 comments Hi my name is fairy wings flutter (yes I know it kinda long) but friends call me Kari and I to love manga, but I also watch anime to (when the time allows me). People often call me a freak but I know I am not the only one like this!!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Konnichiwa! My name is Charose Owlet (I prefer Owlet though :P) and I have just recently become addicted to anime! Seriously,I don't understand why more people don't like it! I'm really glad I found this group. :D Nice to meet you all!

message 44: by Syri (new)

Syri nixon | 4 comments hey i love watching anime my names assyria but i like syri better,i think the first anime show i watched was inuyasha and i just become addicted

message 45: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Assyria! That's a really beautiful name!

message 46: by ramy (last edited Feb 21, 2012 08:55PM) (new)

ramy (mariel02) | 10 comments Dots of Springtempo wrote: "i'm dotss
ehehehe
and i started a blog, like yesterday
strawbeetrash.blogspot.com
and i'm currently going through gakuen alice and posting summaries... well, more like my thoughts on the chapter
ju..."

hey i love your blog i was reading gakuan alice and i sort of stop around the 30's because i caught up to the new release and they take so long to be release now i started reading again and your blog help me re instate myself into the plot of the manga nd whos who and doing what. thank you!!

message 47: by ramy (new)

ramy (mariel02) | 10 comments Syri wrote: "hey i love watching anime my names assyria but i like syri better,i think the first anime show i watched was inuyasha and i just become addicted"

inuyasha was also the first anime/manga i saw/read completly

message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) ~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Danielle wrote: "~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Hello everybody! My name is Teresa, I just turned 27 yesterday (yikes I'm old) and I've been reading manga for....9 years? I think. I can't really r..."

I've started rewatching the 1st season on Crunchyroll. LOL. It made me realize how much it really was like a "beginning" season like "Gilmore Girls". Where it is sort of slow, but slowly picking up. =)

Also, welcome everyone who is new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 49: by ramy (new)

ramy (mariel02) | 10 comments hey every one i'm ramy and i just finish re watching skip beat and i'm waiting for the next chapter release!!

message 50: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

You're watching Skip Beat?
You should definately read it too! It's one of my all time favorites!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9