Creative Reviews discussion

Author Resources > You authors looking for help? Don't know where to go? Check this out!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 159 (159 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Amy Eye (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:45AM) (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
Canary posted a thread in another group that I thought I should take into consideration. We do have quite a few people here who are able to help the authors and the reviewers here - whether it be for editing, blogging help, creating websites for your books, formatting books to e-format, cover art...etc - we are growing larger everyday, and we have the ability to help each other out.

I will create a general folder for each type of service. You may then place your type of specialty under each of these folders. DO NOT create your own thread for your particular business/skill. I WILL MOVE IT OR DELETE IT. I also ask that only PROFESSIONAL services be listed in these folders. I will also delete the post if I learn you are not who/what you say you are. This is to protect all of the members of this group. I do not want my new friends being scammed. I know you all understand this.

If there is a resource that I have not listed here, send me an e-mail and I will add a folder specifically for it!! :)

So...post away, and please everyone use these resources wisely!! :)

message 2: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments And (hope it's okay to post this here?) if you're a writer, published, unpublished or thinking about it, under "Tips & Tricks" is a thread called "Writing style - tips to share". Have a look and please do add any writing or editing tips you've come across that no-one has added yet. We're getting some really useful stuff there so far - the more the merrier!
JAC

message 3: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Thanks JA I think that is great and I agree the tips on here have been fabulous!

message 4: by Amy Eye (new)

I think this has been a great group for sharing ideas, thoughts, help, and suggestions. :)

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith Madsen | 40 comments I'm not new to Goodreads, but I'm new to this group. I have written 3 e-book novels, all of which would come in the category of e-book thrillers. I'm proud of them, but am not nearly as good at marketing as I believe I am at writing. So that is the help I am looking for -- better marketing. Of course that needs to include more reviews. My books are:

SEARCHING FOR EDEN -- When all you have ever loved is lost, where can you go to find if life can be good again? For Evan Jordan, searching for that answer takes him through some of the most war-torn areas of the world...to Eden.

THE SHARD FENCE -- A North American young man and
Brazilian young woman teach poor people in Belo Horizonte, Brazil to tap faith in God to fight drugs and violence in their favela. Together they learn the truth in Christ's words, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul."

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE FISH -- In this sequel to SEARCHING FOR EDEN, an ancient Christian symbol becomes the symbol of a new movement, a movement of people convinced that even in the midst of deteriorating relations between Muslims and the Western world, it is still possible to "give peace a chance." Can this interfaith fellowship persevere against entrenched hate? Join Evan Jordan and friends in this peace action-thriller!

message 6: by Amy Eye (new)

First thing that you could do is to post your books in the folders we have for authors looking for reviews of their book and make sure you include links to the books where people can go check it out more!! :)

What other type of marketing tips are you looking for? What have your tried? Maybe some of our other indies can help you think of some creative new ideas!

message 7: by Keith (new)

Keith Madsen | 40 comments Thanks, I'll do that.

message 8: by Amy Eye (new)

No problem! I hope this group is able to help you out!!

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Albert wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Madman-in-the-M...

Want to be a character in my next book? Dracula is the first of a trilogy d..."

And folks, Albert has told me a little about this "Dracula" book and it sounds AMAZING!! You'll be in GOOD COMPANY as a character ... You really need to get "Madman in the Mirror" and enter this contest!

speaking of it, Albert, I'll be trying to fit in my read/review of your book ASAP ... but need to get back and read of a few of the older ones I have sitting around here, first. I think weekend after this coming one will be KINDLE BOOKS WEEKEND, where I'll read as many of the Kindle version "to reviews" as possible in celebration of receiving a Kindle in a giveaway ... after that? Who knows ... I'm not ALWAYS going to do theme weekends ... LOL

message 10: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments Give me a couple days...I have to wait for payday to buy anymore books! ;-)

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Hi Keith! Nice to see you around.

message 12: by H.D. (new)

H.D. (hdgordon) | 12 comments This may be the wrong place for this kind of question but can someone please tell me how the heck to create a mobi file-- I know, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but i downloaded the mobi software and cannot figure it out! Pleeease help?

message 13: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Hey, H.D.,

Download the latest version of Calibre. It's free and does a good job.

OR, upload the piece on smahswords.com. It does a decent job of converting, but you have to follow their instructions.

OR, upload it to Amazon which does a very good job of creating a .MOBI file.

I am sure there are other ways. I just used Calibre recently and was pretty impressed. There is a small learning curve but it is minimal. Smashword's "Meatgrinder" can make you tear your hair out. For MOBI, nothing probably does a better job than the others because MOBI is all it does (but you have to create an account, etc..)

Hope that helps.

Splitter

message 14: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments You may find this useful too:

http://www.aprillhamilton.com/resourc...

and I have a word file that will help when you want to put in an active TOC (different from the normal TOC, it's the TOC.ncx file that allows you to tab through a chapter at a time with the 5-way button)
If you want that, pm me your email address and I'll mail it...
HTH

JAC

message 15: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) J.A. wrote: "You may find this useful too:

http://www.aprillhamilton.com/resourc...

and I have a word file that will help when you want to put in an active TOC (different from the ..."

I have no idea what you're talking about but it sounds good ;)

message 16: by J.A. (last edited Sep 19, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Jenn;It's an extra useful thing you get in Kindle files. In the Amazon version of ODS, there's a functionality built into the file that isn't in the Smashwords version as they are just beginning to allow it but you couldn't have in the Smashwords file at the time ODS was uploaded.

There's two forms of TOC (Table of Contents) in the Amazon version of ODS. One is the bogstandard TOC which is basically a list of hyperlinks within the text - but that's only any good if you're starting on the Contents page. You can also jump about in the text by hitting "Menu/Go To" and guessing a location number.

The other type of TOC is the "Active TOC" which is also called the toc.ncx as that's the filename when you save it. I put one in the Amazon ODS file and it means if you bought your copy from Amazon you can open ODS to the beginning of Chapter 1 then hit the square 5-way button to the right. It should jump to the beginning of Chapter 2, and every time you press that button to left or right, wherever you are in a chapter, it should take you to the next or previous Chapter heading.

So if you want to check what was the name of the mysterious blonde with the cigarette somewhere near the beginning but you can't remember exactly where, it's just easier to tab through in chunks rather than hit previouspage - previouspage - previouspage etc etc orguessing it might be randomly in the vicinity of location 563 or something.

It's something you don't use too often but when you want to and it's not there, you really notice the lack of it! Imho anyway, which is why there's one in mine...

Has that helped or have I just confused things totally?
JAC

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Speaking of moving around in the Kindle - how the heck do you goto a bookmark? I can't find the place to do that - what is the point of the bookmark if it isn't easy to get to?

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) J.A. wrote: "Jenn;It's an extra useful thing you get in Kindle files. In the Amazon version of ODS, there's a functionality built into the file that isn't in the Smashwords version as they are just beginning to..."

Ohhhh I think I get it!

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Katy wrote: "Speaking of moving around in the Kindle - how the heck do you goto a bookmark? I can't find the place to do that - what is the point of the bookmark if it isn't easy to get to?"

Fantastic question that I would love to know the answer to as well!

message 20: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments What do you mean by book mark? Is it something you add on your own Kindle copy? I'll have a look at lunchtime and see, if so.

If you mean the bookmark you added in the Word file, that's a different kettle of fish.

But you can do Menu / Go to / Last page read, though that's not the same thing.

JAC

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) J.A. wrote: "What do you mean by book mark? Is it something you add on your own Kindle copy? I'll have a look at lunchtime and see, if so.

If you mean the bookmark you added in the Word file, that's a diffe..."

Yes you are supposed to be able to add your own bookmarks

message 22: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Stilson | 34 comments I'm sure someone has already answered this. Sorry to ask again if it's already come up, but how can I add a self-published book (that hasn't come out yet) on goodreads?

Thanks for your help; you're all so awesome :)

message 23: by Yianna (new)

Yianna Yiannacou | 95 comments Elisa wrote: "I'm sure someone has already answered this. Sorry to ask again if it's already come up, but how can I add a self-published book (that hasn't come out yet) on goodreads?

Thanks for your help; you'..."

I was going to explain it, but decided I was lazy.
Here is the link to Manually Add a Book :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/new?boo...

message 24: by Yianna (new)

Yianna Yiannacou | 95 comments well...... thats only if you are a librarian....
If not.. you can send me the deets as a private message and I can add it in for you! :)

message 25: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Stilson | 34 comments Thanks so much! You're golden :0)

message 26: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Good info!!!

message 27: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Stilson | 34 comments I added my three upcoming books. I'm starting to get sooo excited :0)

Here are those links if you're interested:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 28: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Awesome Elisa! I need to add mine to the site as well.... Congrats!

message 29: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Elisa wrote: "I added my three upcoming books. I'm starting to get sooo excited :0)

http://www.goodreads..."
Yay!!!!!

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Elisa wrote: "I added my three upcoming books. I'm starting to get sooo excited :0)

http://www.goodreads..."
soon as I get my Internet back I'll post my review for golden sky!

message 31: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Stilson | 34 comments Thank you so much :)

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Hey guys, quick question. I've tried promoting my book pre halloween, during and now its post Halloween..so I ask..you think I will still get interest and how should I go about promoting? same way or change it up in some way?

message 33: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments there is always a market for the horror genre. I think you should keep promoting. Do you have a trailer? post to FB as well. There is a horror association that you can join i think its the HWA. look them up and see if they offer promotion or any tips.

message 34: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Cambria wrote: "there is always a market for the horror genre. I think you should keep promoting. Do you have a trailer? post to FB as well. There is a horror association that you can join i think its the HWA. loo..."

Then I shall keep promoting. Im looking to make a book trailer and that sounds good. Thanks!

message 35: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments sure thing!

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Justin wrote: "Cambria wrote: "there is always a market for the horror genre. I think you should keep promoting. Do you have a trailer? post to FB as well. There is a horror association that you can join i think ..."

If you want one made for you indiedesignz.com is amazing!!!

message 37: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Yes Indiedesignz is fabulous! And her prices are sooo low!

Regina at mae i design also makes them and is super talented.

www.maeidesign.com

message 38: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz I'm looking for a better way to convert text in MS Word on Mac or in Pages on Mac to KDP for Kindle. Does anyone have any information of that? I'm currently going from ePub to KDP which is cumbersome and results in a kind of clunky presentation. Any help/suggestions will be gratefully received as long as it doesn't involve HTML.

message 39: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments I do not know Mac, but I had to convert my WORD doc (cannot be docx!) to HTML unfiltered in order for Amazon to like it. Before that, the formatting looked funky.

OR!

There are people on here like Dafeenah and Amy who do formatting for very reasonable prices.

Splitter

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz C.S. Splitter wrote: "I do not know Mac, but I had to convert my WORD doc (cannot be docx!) to HTML unfiltered in order for Amazon to like it. Before that, the formatting looked funky.

OR!

There are people on here li..."

Unfortunately, the MS Word version for Mac doesn't convert to unfiltered HTML so I can't go that route. I've thought of hiring someone to do the conversion, but at least until now, had no way to evaluate what sort of result I'd get for my money. Also I have one novel now being edited and seven more in near final draft. I'm something of a control freak, do my own covers, etc. I really want to control the look of my books.

I've recently looked at Sigil, which is software for editing ePub documents. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Anyway, thanks for suggestions. Keep them coming!

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dermott (shannondermott) Anyone know of any good editors?

message 42: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Shannon-
I personally use Amy Eye. http://www.theeyesforediting.com
She is also empployed by Otherworld Publications as an editor and does a lot of freelance work. I would totally send her an email. amy@theeyesforediting.com

We also have quite a few other editors in this group as well as proof readers and Beta readers. We have folders set up for each. :)

message 43: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Lee wrote: "I'm looking for a better way to convert text in MS Word on Mac or in Pages on Mac to KDP for Kindle. Does anyone have any information of that? I'm currently going from ePub to KDP which is cumberso..."

I wish I could help you Lee - thankfully you found Splitter - he is the man to ask about converting (I really want to insert a joke here but since I don't know you well, Lee I won't for fear of hurting your delicate ears... lmao)
but seriously, Splitter is the man to ask. I don't know anything about converting and Ebooks - to be honest it makes me want to go hide in the corner whenever someone asks.... lol

message 44: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Cambria wrote: "Lee wrote: "I'm looking for a better way to convert text in MS Word on Mac or in Pages on Mac to KDP for Kindle. Does anyone have any information of that? I'm currently going from ePub to KDP which..."

Cambria, if you read any of my books, you'll soon learn my ears aren't all that delicate! I'm enjoying and benefiting from the Group already.

message 45: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Great!!!
In that case Splitter is good at converting (and I wasn't talking about Lesbians .... but with him you never know! ) HA! he he he.

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Cambria wrote: "Great!!!
In that case Splitter is good at converting (and I wasn't talking about Lesbians .... but with him you never know! ) HA! he he he."

I hope he also has a sense of humor!

message 47: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments LOL!!!!!! Splitter knows how I roll. He'll probably have a come back of his own! LOL!!

message 48: by Cambria (last edited Nov 28, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Have you read Splitters book?
Its a fabulous read...this is the cover to the sequel of his first book.
The Willing (Crayder Chronicles #2)  by C.S. Splitter
I couldn't find "The Reluctant" cover for some reason - thats the title of the first book - in the system but he does have an author page here on GR.

message 49: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz Cambria wrote: "Have you read Splitters book?
Its a fabulous read...this is the cover to the sequel of his first book.
The Willing (Crayder Chronicles #2)  by C.S. Splitter
I couldn't find "The Reluctant" c..."

Thanks for the tip. The series looks like my kind of thriller. The Reluctant is now on my TR list. I tried to find the link to post it here, but the list of books with that word in the title seems to be huge and Splitter's is not near the top. I found it by going to his profile page.

message 50: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Lee - can you share the links to your writings?

« previous 1 3 4