Creative Reviews discussion

Author Resources > Are you an editor? Or are you looking for a freelance editor?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 223 (223 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Naiya (last edited Jul 10, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Naiya | 29 comments In one of the recent threads about low ratings, the conversation had drifted over to the importance of good editing (an Ebook should not be a draft!). Suddenly, people were speaking up, and I discovered that there was a great number of editors in the group. I thought I'd start this thread as a kind of resource list of who's who and what kind of editing Creative Reviews members offer.

Who: Editors at The Canary
What kind of editing: Substantive Editing (content/development) and Proofreading.
For what kind of writing: Excerpts, short stories, manuscripts, pitches, and blurbs. [almost] No genre restrictions.
More info: Editing services information page.

What about you?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Canary, I am not a professional editor so I would not be good at the substantive issues, but I would be willing to proofread and do trial conversions to PDF and to epub format so authors can spot formatting issues before the work goes to a real editor or publisher.

Bob Cherny

message 3: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
I have no issues with this type of post being here at all. HOWEVER - I do ask that ANYONE who is listing their services here to be a PROFESSIONAL. This means you have actual training or work for a publishing company or have your own freelance editing service and have happy clients that you can give to people as a referral.

If you cannot claim to have these, and provide references, please do not post. We are all quickly becoming friends on here, and just because we are all friends, does NOT mean the everyone is qualified (even if you like them) to edit your book. Yes, we all agree editing is important, but PROPER editing is more important. Someone you know who did well in English class or someone you know who reads a lot does NOT qualify that person to be an editor. Please remember that.

Everyone remember to ask questions and ask for references. Do your homework. Hiring an editor is a big decision and getting the right one is very important. Do not go off of price alone. Take into consideration the personality of your editor. Will the two of you get along? Will the editor be more lenient to your views on the book, or are they pushy and will impose their ideas on your work? Do they have time to dedicate solely to your manuscript? There are many things to think about first. Get to know your potential editor first, then make your decision! :)

With that being said, you can contact me about editing, proofreading and e-book conversions. I can do just about everything. :) I will have a website set up soon..I never thought I would be venturing into making a website, but I guess anything is worth a go... :)

message 4: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I can and will vouch for Amy on all of this. Including her editing services. She is really good at what she does.
Now, I will say that choosing an editor is not to be taken lightly. Before I hired Amy i had another editor that charge me a lot of money and then didn't do her job. I am so unqualified that I didn't recgonize that she didn't do a lot of what she was supposed to do until i submitted to a publisher and they asked me why i would tell them I had it edited when i clearly hadn't. OUCH.

Ouch on my pocket book and even worse on my book!

Do your homework here guys and make sure you and your editor are clear about what services you want them to perform. I would even urge you to get references and talk to the editors other clients.

If you would like to ask me for a reference about Amy you may do so through private message. :)

message 5: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments I also got burned on an editor. Check those references, and then really, really check the sample they send you.

If you don't know enough grammar to know if he/she's doing a good job, make sure you've got someone how can look over the first installment of the work to make sure it's good.

Maybe that's something where those of us who aren't pros could be handy, a double check the sample service. Make sure you're really getting your money's worth.

Also, maybe a beta reader section would be good, too?

message 6: by Katy (last edited Jul 10, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments I am just beginning to offer editing services. I am trained in proper editing techniques, and served as editor for my university newsletter before moving away. I have edited two books for Weston Kincaid, one for Scott Rhine and am working on my second for Debra Martin; they are all pleased with my editing skills, plan to utilize me again, and plan to refer others to me. In fact, Weston is the one who referred Scott to me to begin with. Editing is my best skill - copy and content (to a certain degree - I try not to substantively change anything in the text, simply polish it up a bit) - and I am pleased to use it. Also, I do not plan on becoming a bustling business - I prefer to know I can provide quality service to a few, rather than substandard service in quantity.

Is that sufficient? :-)

message 7: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Looks good to me girl!! Good luck with all your editing and it seems that you enjoy it which makes for an even better editor!!
do you have a website or an email where people should contact you?

message 8: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Keryl wrote: "I also got burned on an editor. Check those references, and then really, really check the sample they send you.

If you don't know enough grammar to know if he/she's doing a good job, make sure yo..."

Keryl- i am sorry to hear you got burned too. a Beta reader is a good idea and something I am not that familar with and have only heard of recently.

BUt for sure, check those refrences!!
thanks for sharing with us Keryl!

message 9: by Amy Eye (new)

Yes, Katy, that definitely does work! :)

message 10: by Naiya (last edited Jul 10, 2011 06:11PM) (new)

Naiya | 29 comments Keryl wrote: "I also got burned on an editor..."

That's the worst--more often than not, writers put an immense amount of trust in an editor's knowledge base and skills.

We've also found that for content and substantive editing, personal approaches to writing come into play. For those, it really helps to start with a small sample (sometimes even complimentary) to see if this is the kind of crisp and no-nonsense feedback the writer is looking for.

Editors are a lot like writing groups--or books. Some are good, some are great, some are not.

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Very true Canary, thanks for your great insight!! :)

message 12: by Naiya (last edited Jul 11, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Naiya | 29 comments On that topic, it's also not unreasonable to negotiate to have a small excerpt looked at for free.

It's a great way of trying the service out before committing to it. And if you end up deciding not to go any further, at least you'll have had the experience and whatever feedback you received.

message 13: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Fabulous way of thinking!! and one I wished I had thought of with my first editor!!

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments I'm probably asking to be taken advantage of, but I have usually done the editing and then let the author decide what it is worth ... Of course, once I'm more established and have a larger resume, I can probably stop doing that ... :-)

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Cambria wrote: "Looks good to me girl!! Good luck with all your editing and it seems that you enjoy it which makes for an even better editor!!
do you have a website or an email where people should contact you?"

No website - folks can ask me through a private message, or email me at katy.sozaeva@gmail.com

message 16: by Amy Eye (new)

I'm working on my website right now (it should be completed very soon), but the address is:

www.theeyesforediting.com

I will be adding a very unique service to it as well once I get all of the details worked out on it. And I have to hire a few people for the job. More details on it soon! :)

message 17: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments At this point, I'd say if an editor doesn't offer a free sample, say 2500 words of the author's choice, then I wouldn't go any further.

When I got burned the problem was that I got a sample, but didn't know enough grammar to know the editor knew less grammar than I did.

I was half way through the first third of what he sent me when I started thinking, you know this doesn't look right... The upside is I know a lot more grammar now.

message 18: by Amy Eye (new)

The more you work with an editor, the better you will get at noticing problems. You may not always realize what the problem is at first, but you will, at least, have an idea that SOMETHING is wrong. :)

The down side is that some people are so used to seeing things done incorrectly that when they see it done correctly, it looks wrong.

message 19: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments You're certainly right about the so used to seeing it wrong it begins to look right. I had two people point out "errors" that were straight out of the MLA manual.

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments The Chicago Manual of Style is an invaluable aid to editors AND writers - Scott Rhine recommended I pick one up, and i'm very happy I did. If'n y'all don't have one yet, you should be fixin' to get one ... (a bit of dialectical lingo for your entertainment)

message 21: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Amy wrote: "I'm working on my website right now (it should be completed very soon), but the address is:

I will be adding a very unique service to it as well once I get all of th..."

Woop Woop! Check it out it looks great so far!!

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Cambria wrote: "Amy wrote: "I'm working on my website right now (it should be completed very soon), but the address is:

I will be adding a very unique service to it as well once..."

In the 3rd paragraph under your Who Am I section, you have the following sentence:"The authors that I have had supporting me has been a blessing ..."

That should be "The authors that I have had supporting me have been a blessing ..."

Thought you might want that sort of thing pointed out! :-) I love the background on the front page - very serene! I'll explore further ... umm, later - I'm sleepy now, it's been a busy day ... want some sleep before I start my next book!

message 23: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments Katy wrote: "The Chicago Manual of Style is an invaluable aid to editors AND writers - Scott Rhine recommended I pick one up, and i'm very happy I did. If'n y'all don't have one yet, you should be fixin' to ge..."

I just got my copy in the mail today! I was going to sign up online, but couldn't bear the subscription fee! So, I have a shiny new book to sniff instead ;-)...

message 24: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments Amy wrote: "I'm working on my website right now (it should be completed very soon), but the address is:

I will be adding a very unique service to it as well once I get all of th..."

I *just* got the eye reference... ha... I'm slow.

message 25: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 89 comments Cassie wrote: "Katy wrote: "The Chicago Manual of Style is an invaluable aid to editors AND writers - Scott Rhine recommended I pick one up, and i'm very happy I did. If'n y'all don't have one yet, you should be..."

Not a fan of subscription fees, but the ability to search and get your answers in an second was very, very nice.

message 26: by Amy Eye (last edited Jul 14, 2011 04:16PM) (new)

I appreciate the corrections, Katy, but the website hasn't gone live yet. My designer is just throwing stuff up there right now to give me a general idea of what is going to happen with it. When it goes live, I will be sure to let everyone know!! :)

When it does go live, I may recruit some of you guys to proof the site for me. As you all know, it is impossible to edit your own stuff, so I will be looking for another set of eyes - or 5...LOL

@ Cassie - glad you picked up on that!! LOL

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Amy wrote: "I appreciate the corrections, Katy, but the website hasn't gone live yet. My designer is just throwing stuff up there right now to give me a general idea of what is going to happen with it. When ..."

Ah ... I thought it odd that your site would have such an obvious error! :-)

And I think I must be stupid - I took it literally - you have to have the eyes for editing, right? Is there some deeper meaning? I'm not good at finding deeper meanings ... X-D

message 28: by Amy Eye (new)

My last name is Eye...LOL

message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Ah - so I couldn't have caught it, 'cause I've not looked at your profile, so I didn't know that :-) I don't feel so badly now ...

message 30: by Amy Eye (new)

Oh, you shouldn't feel bad, my last name isn't on my profile!! :)

So even if you would have checked it, it would not have given you any hints. I have worked with Cassie outside of GoodReads, so she knows WAY too much about me!! LOL

message 31: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments :-)

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra Martin (debralmartin) | 8 comments I have used Katy's editing services and she is very thorough with her edits. I'm very pleased with her skills and will continue to hire her for all of my future manuscripts.

message 33: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 4 comments I got stung by my first editor and was very cautious when selecting my next one.

My current one makes sure she keeps my voice whereas my previous editor stripped my voice and added her own, didn't approve of that.

I would always suggest people get a sample of an editor's work before parting with any money. ;-)

Good luck to those setting out in the business, if you are good at what you do, the work will come flooding in.

message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 603 comments Debra wrote: "I have used Katy's editing services and she is very thorough with her edits. I'm very pleased with her skills and will continue to hire her for all of my future manuscripts."

Awwww, thanks Debra! I'm so happy you're pleased!

message 35: by Amy Eye (new)

Mel wrote: "I got stung by my first editor and was very cautious when selecting my next one.

My current one makes sure she keeps my voice whereas my previous editor stripped my voice and added her own, didn't..."

And definitely get to know your author first, I think that is VERY important. I think what happened to you is terrible, your editor should never try to make your book sound like one of their own.

It's good to have an editor that you are happy with, you usually spend a lot of time with him/her and it's good to have one that you see eye to eye with. :)

message 36: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 4 comments Thanks Amy, to be honest my editor did an awful lot of damage to my self-confidence too. It took me a good six months to get it back. ;-)

message 37: by Amy Eye (new)

OH NO!!! That is awful!! At least you were able to move on past that editor. YEA FOR SELF-CONFIDENCE!! It's a very important thing to have when you are creating an entire world for someone to get lost in.

message 38: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 4 comments Agreed, onwards and upwards! ;-)

message 39: by Amy Eye (new)

You get 'em, girl!!! :)

message 40: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Chater (chaterpublishing) | 26 comments I use strangelandediting.com. she doesn't mess with the intent of the author (substantive editing), just the typos and grammar. She also does uploading and formatting for ebooks.

message 41: by Amy Eye (new)

WOO HOO!!!

My website is now up and functional! This is quite exciting for me. If anyone would like to go check it out, and help me make sure there are no serious errors on there, please feel free to check it out! www.theeyesforediting.com

I also have a new type of service that I will be announcing probably tomorrow if one of the people signs on that I want to hire for it. But I want to make sure that is set in stone before I go any further. But please check it out!! Thanks guys!! :)

message 42: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Professional looking bu not stuffy.

LOVE the slogan!

Splitter

message 43: by Amy Eye (new)

Thanks, Splitter!! :)

message 44: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Looks great Amy! You rock!

message 45: by Amy Eye (new)

Thank ya much, lady friend o' mine!! :) I really am taken with the site, he did such a great job!

message 46: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments He did do a great job. Now let the jobs come!

message 47: by Amy Eye (new)

*keeps fingers crossed* :)

message 48: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Bugger, it just ate my comment! Ah well, will retype.

Love the site, esp the title font - very funky.

My only crit is that the font is quite small and dense and the commas look like fullstops - not an issue apart from second parag where because the I is a capital in the sentence "From copy editing to content editing, I offer[...]" and the comma looks like a fullstop, I initially thought it was a fragment.
If it was my site, I'd maybe look for a clearer font, make the font slightly bigger or line-and-a half-space it? But as I said, imho only so do ignore as necessary!

Love the spiel though - you know that when my bloke is mid PhD, if he doesn't have the time I'll be knnocking on your door - and actually, come to think of it, I may be able to send someone your way. Are you up and rocking yet?
JAC

message 49: by Amy Eye (new)

I am definitely up and running! Send some people my way!! :)

And thanks for taking a look at it, I will check out the font probs (making it bigger may do the trick, but I don't want to blast people away from the screen, but I'll definitely try it out!) and make sure it looks the way it should. Thanks for the heads up on that!! :)

message 50: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments If you have a similar font but thinner that should do the trick, but it's not a glaring fault or anything - only as you were looking for crit, thought I'd throw it in for consideration. If I hadn't been looking critically, prob wouldn't have noticed.
JAC

« previous 1 3 4 5