Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone question

What are your thoughts about Genet?
Viviana D. Otero Viviana D. Jul 02, 2011 09:09PM
Beautifully written novel about the love between two twin brothers and their perception of the challenges they face from the moment they are born. Dr. Abraham Verghese composes an arrangement of stringed words to form a symphony of unforgettable sentences in a haunting book about betrayal, forgiveness, and redemption during an apathetic and dangerous time in Ethiopia. I recommend this book to everyone!

I thought she was a very clever and talented young girl and woman. She was disadvantaged from the start, however. I think her natural curiosity about sex was understandable but the subsequent punishment she received because of this marred her for life.
I do not think Marion loved her. He loved his own image of her. He did not really know her despite all his yearnings for her. I liked her as a person and would have like to see her happy. She did also remind me of Jenny in Forest Gump.

I feel nothing but anger and hatred for her. She had so much more than lots of kids in Ethipia. She was schooled, well-fed, clothed, parents who had jobs and a roof to live in, Gosh & Hema who looked after her and brothers in MarionShiva. Maybe having too much made her grow up selfish, ungrateful and uncaring and she remained that way until the end. Nor the death of her father to war or the suicide of her mother - triggered from the deal they made allowing the circumsicion in exchange of keeping her secret - were enough to change her. She cared little for Marion's feelings after he had expressed his love and devotion to her. She didn't think about the damage she was doing to these 2 brothers' relationship. She didn't care about the innocent people on the hijacked plane and who knows what else she did during the revolution year. And then to have the incredible chance that more deserving people never get - to come to America -to better herself. But she squanders that too, killing a man, losing her baby and going to prison. Was all that enough? No, she shows up at Marion's doorstep to continue her ongoing quest of destroying people's lives. I do not pity her nor can I understand this comparison to Jenny from Forrest Gump. They are NOTHING alike.

What I didn't understand - did she really deliberately infect Marion? Or did he jump on her before she was able to tell him the details about her situation? Or was she so dehumanized in the jail and depressed about losing her child that she didn't realize or care what she was doing? I am not sure how to interpret her motives.

Jennifer Hello--he RAPED her!
Jul 18, 2017 08:53AM

I would like to know how to pronounce her name! I kept hearing "Jenet" as I read, but would have liked to know for sure...

Sheri (last edited Jul 05, 2011 08:19PM ) Jul 05, 2011 08:18PM   0 votes
She reminded me of Jenny in Forrest Gump messed up but deep down a good person. In fact this story resembled Forrest Gump to me

In my family thee is a saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Remember how shamefully her mother treated her. She didn't have a good example to follow and she was probably out for what she could get. Since her mother was illiterate, Genet wasn't given a grounding or understanding of how important it would be to her life. The scene of the women "circumcising" her is an example of how low she was made to feel and therefore act.

U 25x33
Elisamatt I'm a bit more hopeful about humanity. I think we start out all pretty good hearted and looking for happiness and it is largely our experiences and ou ...more
Oct 11, 2011 08:41AM

I thought she was rotten through and through. She even managed to deliberately infect Marion with the most severe type of hepatitis. I would say she is a PEACH.
The book is marvelous, though. it is a wonderful story of twinning, bonding, love, and redemption. I truly enjoyed every page of it.

She was definitely the slippers that Marion could never mange to loose.