Books Without Borders discussion

Random Book Speak > What have you just finished reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lady Day (last edited Jul 02, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Just finished reading The Help, By The River Piedra I sat down and wept and The Catcher in the Rye all were rewarding books. Cant wait to see the movie adaptation of The Help.

message 2: by Parsa (new)

Parsa I just read Life of Pi and Mini Shopaholic

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
Oh I loved The Catcher in the Rye and Life of Pi!!

I have The Help on my to read shelf but I think I may wait to read it until AFTER the movie. I've found that the movie is often disappointing after reading the book. But if I watch the movie THEN read the book, it's like filling in gaps and getting more detail.

message 4: by Parsa (new)

Parsa I wish I would get a paperback of The Help from somewhere. I havent found it yet but yes, it will be probably available after the movie. But I kind of like reading books before the movie. I can not really read after watching movie even when movies based on books are usually disappointing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a paperback version of the Help that I purchased at Barnes and Noble. I, too, can't wait for the movie to come out!

message 6: by Andrea "Drea" (new)

Andrea "Drea" I have just finished The Peach Keeper The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen it was amazing!!!

Andrea wrote: "I have just finished The Peach KeeperThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allenit was amazing!!!"

Oh I'm so glad you read this after all! I may have to give it a read sometime soon too.

I've been waiting for my book to come in since the 29th of June. Hopefully it will come in this week. I haven't read anything else in anticipation of this book. Boo!

message 8: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Maranda wrote: "Oh I loved The Catcher in the Rye and Life of Pi!!

I have The Help on my to read shelf but I think I may wait to read it until AFTER the movie. I've found that the movie is often disappointing aft..."

Maranda wrote: "Oh I loved The Catcher in the Rye and Life of Pi!!

I have The Help on my to read shelf but I think I may wait to read it until AFTER the movie. I've found that the movie is often disappointing aft..."

I definitely understand. Although I prefer to read the book first then see the movie! You're so on point when stating that the movie is usually a disappointment compared to the read.I'm hoping it's not the case with this one!

message 9: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Paras wrote: "I wish I would get a paperback of The Help from somewhere. I havent found it yet but yes, it will be probably available after the movie. But I kind of like reading books before the movie. I can not..."

exactly Paras, but I saw paperback versions in walmart, target and other major retailers.Have you check at either of these stores yet?

message 10: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Paras wrote: "I just read Life of Pi and Mini Shopaholic"

How was Life of Pi? Can't help but thinking of mathematical pi(3.14...etc)when i see the title mentioned anywhere ;)

message 11: by Parsa (new)

Parsa Lady Day, we dont have those stores here in Asia, but I have been trying to see if I can find anything :)

And about life of pi, I wanted it to read for so long.It was interesting for me, fast read as well. Though my sister didnt like it at all. She said, too much details. :)

p.s. I know... and the way I am, I thought, my name starts with P ... Pi.. 3.14.. how cool and then I laugh at the small nerd in me :p

message 12: by Lady Day (last edited Jul 16, 2011 11:11PM) (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Paras wrote: "Lady Day, we dont have those stores here in Asia, but I have been trying to see if I can find anything :)

And about life of pi, I wanted it to read for so long.It was interesting for me, fast read..."

Paras, I had no idea you're in Karachi, until I just reviewed your profile here on GR.I was in the Clifton district earlier this year :) I totally understand about the Pi situation I,too am a nerd and love mathematics. So...happy Pi to you and take care..LOL! By the way, we're gonna have to devise a plan to get you a copy of The Help by mail, possibly. What you think?

message 13: by Parsa (last edited Jul 17, 2011 01:57AM) (new)

Parsa Yes! That would be lovely if that could happen.

Why were you in Clifton though?

message 14: by Lady Day (last edited Jul 20, 2011 10:25PM) (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Paras wrote: "Yes! That would be lovely if that could happen.

Why were you in Clifton though?"

Visiting friends that moved back home to Clifton. They lived in California for 25 years and still longed for home. I loved the beach, building designs, sunsets,Mohatta (I think that's how it's spelled) Palace and the Lahore Museum.It was a great trip :)

I just finished Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. It's the 4th book in the Percy Jackson series. I think that series is really cute. Now I can't put down our current book group selection. It's SO good!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 33 comments Just finished:
I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship Hilarious, Heartwarming Tales About Man's Best Friends from America's Favorite Humorists by Wade Rouse
http://wp.me/p1CKWU-cI

Putting it down as one of my favorites!

I just finished reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I really liked it!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 33 comments Just finished:
Glow (Sky Chasers, #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan
http://wp.me/p1CKWU-dL

I HIGHLY recommend it.

message 28: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club #6) by James Patterson ...so thoroughly enjoyed this one.

message 30: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Paras wrote: "I wish I would get a paperback of The Help from somewhere. I havent found it yet but yes, it will be probably available after the movie. But I kind of like reading books before the movie. I can not..."

Hi Paras! Did you ever get your hands on a paperback copy of The Help? Have you seen the movie yet? I read the books some time ago and have yet to see the movie.

message 31: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments Finished Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson the day after Thanksgiving and I liked the storyline. The characters, for the most part, where well developed and the suspenseful plot multi-dimensional. Kept you guessing from the start and made me eager to connect the pieces. There were laugh out loud moments in the story as well. Jackson is truly a talented author!

So I just finished reading The Kitchen House and it was amazing!! I highly recommend it!

message 34: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) This morning I finished Cut Short - Leigh Russell.

message 37: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I just finished Shattered by Karl Jones

Gwen - Chew & Digest Books - (cybergwen) Finished Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris. If you liked Eric Larson's The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed Americawith it's narrative style and historic events going on during the crimes, this is good one.

message 39: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I have just finished Survival, YA Paranormal Romance (Book 1 of The Guardians of Vesturon) by A.M. Hargrove - A.M. Hargrove.

message 42: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Finished Undead - Kirsty McKay.

message 46: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I have just finished the delightful Broken City. Was very surprised at the writing and once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down.
Also finished A Gathering Light

message 47: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) This morning I finished Private Eyes and also read Husband Won't Buy Wife a Kindle - Franklin Eddy.

message 48: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Just finished Star Gazing - Linda Gillard

message 49: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I have read and finished Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish! - Stephen Leather.

message 50: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Finally finished The Truce - E. Milan.

« previous 1 3 4