Start by marking “By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept” as Want to Read:
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

(On the Seventh Day #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  86,024 ratings  ·  3,728 reviews
From Paulo Coelho, author of the bestselling The Alchemist, comes a poignant, richly poetic story that reflects the depth of love and life.

Rarely does adolescent love reach its full potential, but what happens when two young lovers reunite after eleven years? Time has transformed Pilar into a strong and independent woman, while her devoted childhood friend has grown into a
Published May 23rd 2006 by HarperOne (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jj I think at that point, Pilar realized that she learned to love him as what he is, and Pilar was already prepared with the thought that he will continu…moreI think at that point, Pilar realized that she learned to love him as what he is, and Pilar was already prepared with the thought that he will continue his life in the seminary and will become a priest, but by then the moment Pilar heard those very words, she was again confused and so she walked away to think again the things that are happening...(less)
Rosio She wanted him to share his gift with the world and she would help him. She was disillusioned when she found out he was giving those dreams up to be w…moreShe wanted him to share his gift with the world and she would help him. She was disillusioned when she found out he was giving those dreams up to be with her. She explains to him he doesn't need to do that and he agrees to ask for his gifts back from God so that they may both share it with the world. They stay together in the end. (less)

·  86,024 ratings  ·  3,728 reviews

Start your review of By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Michel
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eleole, doulce
Thank you, Mr Coelho.
At a time when my parents and my son are dying, and can't accept love, help and support, this one paragraph in your Author's Note gave me joy and hope:
"But ultimately there is no good reason for our suffering, for in every love lies the seed of our growth. The more we love, the closer we come to a spiritual experience. Those who are truly enlightened, those whose souls are illuminated by love, have been able to overcome all the inhibitions... They have been joyful — because
P. Cookie
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just experienced a wonderful and enlightening love story that has moved me deeply. Indeed, Paulo Coelho's "By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept" is a must read for people who have lost, found, or still seeking for love.

I have made some references to this novel in some of my past blogs. But now, I am writing more about it on my personal realizations after experiencing this enigmatic literary work.

I have jotted down some lines from the book that struck me the most, and taken note of my
Ana
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
MY FAVORITE LINES FROM THE BOOK:

At some point, we have each said through our tears, “I’m suffering for a love that’s not worth it.” We suffer because we feel we are giving more than we receive. We suffer because our love is going unrecognized. We suffer because we are unable to impose our own rules.

True love is an act of total surrender.

You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.

Every day, God gives us the sun - and also
Charlotte May
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
“To love is to lose control.”

Hm, this is a strange and hard one to review.
On the one hand, there is no plot, barely anything happens at all.
Yet on the other the writing is so lyrical, so peaceful, and tackles such interesting and important topics that it kept me reading.

Pilar is invited to a seminar by an old friend. Their reunion strikes a chord and changes them both. They travel together across parts of Spain and France, discussing life, love, faith and spirituality.
A lot of the focus is o
Imane
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
“If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.”
― Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

🌟1/5🌟
Really!... Is this a joke??!! because I thought this was absolutely horrible.

Riana
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
this book was a joke.

horrible, pretentious, verbose, and yet basically content-free language - which in itself might be seen as quite an achievement if you're trying to do really bad writing.

and the content....?! uummmmm, empty, trite banalities and cliches. - i really dont understand how anyone who has even spent a *minute* reflecting on any philosophical question would get any sort of insight out of such a book!

as i remember it, the outline of the plot even sounded pretty promising.... sth
Priya
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*takes deep breath*
Okay , so I saw a GR update about this book and I was like yeah..!! I have read it and its a really good one but i couldnt remember the plot and everything. So I started searching for this book and for what it felt like a million years I found it and read it AGAIN.
Then I mentally slapped my brain for not remembering this book, and my brain was like -'yeah..!! Theres only one explanation for not remembering it, that the aliens must have had abducted me and wiped my memory clean
Ahmad Sharabiani
Na margem do rio Piedra eu sentei e chorei = By the river piedra I sat down ond wept, Paulo Coelho
By the River Piedra I sat Down and Wept (Portuguese: Na margem do rio Piedra eu sentei e chorei) is the first part in Coelho's trilogy "On the Seventh Day". The other two parts are Veronika Decides to Die and The Devil and Miss Prym. Their subject is a week in the life of someone ordinary to whom something extraordinary happens. The story focuses on Pilar, an independent young woman, who is frustrat
Fiona MacDonald
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful experience. Reading Paulo Coelho makes my heart so happy and full, and soaking up the text of this awe-inspiring story has changed my perspective of life itself. The story is much more than a narrative of a love story, it is about following dreams, believing in yourself, supporting others and never giving up. It is about being unique and chsding your own path, instead of a path made by others. It might sound cliche but it makes so much sense. Coelho writes in such an exquisite way. I ...more
treehugger
Aug 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2009, spiritual
This book wasn't even close to as good as The Alchemist, and it seems as though it was translated really poorly too. If I could read Portugese I would try it, but since I'm limited to English or Spanish, I think I'm done with trying to make this book better than my original reaction deemed it.

It wasn't a very cohesive story, the whole "feminine face of God" thing was cool, but fairly random and not well elaborated, the "love story" was sappy and pathetic.

It is a super short book, especially whe
Preeti
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
If you're expecting another The Alchemist, just stop right there, turn around, and never look back. Seriously. Trust me and do yourself a favor.

After the success of The Alchemist, I feel like Coelho just threw a bunch of ideas together and called it a new story. Sure, it has the themes of faith, love, and following your dreams, but in my opinion, the story just wasn't concrete enough to really... I don't know, actually teach you anything - if that's what Coelho sought to do. The events just felt
⊱ Poppy ⊰
I opened this book with NO expectation's. Many people take Paulo Coelho's books with this expectations that it will be as good as The Alchemist is. But no book will ever be good as Alchemist is. So, for me this book was quite unexpected but in a good way. I have read many books of Paulo but this book was quite exception of Paulo's writing. It was desperate, Spiritual and so knowledgeable. I quite learned about Christianity, Spirituality. Love and Decisions.

“If pain must come, may it com
Aj the Ravenous Reader
A very, intense, emotional read. A deviation from Cuelho's usual themes in his books.
Nikita T. Mitchell
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
“By the River Piedra I sat down and wept. There is a legend that everything falls into the waters of this river – leaves, insects, the feathers of bird – is transformed into the rocks that make the riverbed. If only I could tear out my heart and hurl it into the current, then my pain and longing would be over, and I could finally forget.”

And so the novel starts out. The most beautiful opening paragraph I’ve ever read in my life. And unless you are heartless or have never been in love, I don’t k
Amy
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept" tells of Pilar, a frustrated scholar looking for some greater meaning in the endless cycle of her days. When a childhood friend contacts her, she is surprised to learn that her former playmate is now a charismatic spiritual leader, someone revered as a miracle worker. She is even more astonished when he reveals that Pilar has always been his great love. Confused by this sudden opportunity for a new chance at life, Pilar gradually comes to realize that the ...more
Ancilla Irwan
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-english
This is another book of Coelho which couldn't give me satisfaction as what The Alchemist does. I learn a lot from The Alchemist.

However, it still a nice one.
It gives proof that Coelho has a deep knowledge and skills about diverse religions, although it is clear that that He has more about Christianity. However, it might be hard for those non-Christianity readers when they read this book (this is only a guess).

Above all, I do believe that GOD has feminine face. Why I can say that? Well, we are,
Farah
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok where do I start. Personally for me, whenever you mix religion with a special type of philosophy I get this sense as if someone is calling my name. This book called my name. The character Pilar reflects us all in a way. The man in the story (completely nameless) has loved ever since they were little. They go about roaming in the street for a vacation, but her religion takes a whole different turn.

He guides her through life in a span of a week. Thats pretty cool. They keep mentioning 'Her'. As
Kamae Acejo
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-and-love
Pilar is like all the other woman from the barrio who is smart and has her life all planned. But as she visits a childhood friend that she secretly loves. She embarks in a journey that will give her a chance to rebuild her life and have the gift to love ones again.
As she meets her childhood friend, she eventually not only learns that this guy had planned to enter the seminary but also that he is a visionary of the Virgin Mary and he is able perform miracles by curing. She then leaves the normal
Arunima
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
description

“I will not talk to my own darkness anymore, I promised myself, closing the door on the Other. A fall from the third floor hurts as much as a fall from the hundredth.

If I have to fall, may it be from a high place.”

description

This book had me so confused. By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept Is again a very, very spiritual book. The reason is used the word 'again' was that I haven't really read a lot of Paulo Coelho's works but whatever I have read, it's mostly all spiritual. And since I don't
Sully (thysaltymar)
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
B E A U T I F U L is the appropriate word to describe this novel. ;)
A Novel of Forgiveness and Self-Discovery -- what else could you possibly wish for? :p

The story could more easily be described as a story of love, as it strives to show that “true love is an act of total surrender”. At a deeper level, Paulo Coelho also gives the message that there are no rules when it comes to love. :D

The novel also shows how "TRUE-TO-LIFE-SITUATION" of love is ridiculously connected to fairy tales (as quoted fr
Sura  ✿
2.5 stars *

The novel is about the struggle between who we are and who we want to be , surrendering and making concessions to ourselves and the people we love .

I'm a Muslim and we believe that God has no son wife or feminine face, though i enjoy roaming in the thoughts of other people religions, thus this novel has much much details :D
any way i liked the second idea of the novel of crossing the boundaries that we put to ourselves and let the "other" voice inside as control our lives and decisi
Aya Ibrahim
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
We all need like this journey to find love and faith, and to reach the spiritual side of ourlives.
Saman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like a spiritual leader! The one thing which hit really hard was the protagonist realising how much time she had wasted stuck in a single place and I couldn't agree more.
Jennifer Lane
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting take on a romance novel. It was probably more of a spiritual and philosophical guide, but romance did figure prominently.

From the back of the book: Rarely does adolescent love reach its full potential, but what happens when two young lovers reunite after eleven years? Time has transformed Pilar into a strong and independent woman, while her deovted childhood friend has grown into a handsome and charismatic spiritual leader... Now, they are together once again, embarki
Irina
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Most people enter the world of Paulo Coelho with Alchemist. I started with "Veronika decides to die" and then moved on to "By the river Piedra I sat down and wept".
I am just starting to read the Alchemist.

I really, really, loved the Veronika - it was an easy read with the very deep meaning that I could very much relate to.

I started reading By the River having the same expectations...and was a little bit disappointed, and this is why I gave this book 4 starts and not five stars.

This book has a re
Farhana
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
It was an essential reading , asserting to recognise life's opportunities as they come & accept them by not judging them in the light of the past. Because ultimately everything results in either 0 or 1, and even after judging too much to get a 1, things may always change later.
I disagree with one point in it, God throws the dice! As Einstein put it , " God does not play dice. "
Elena
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: november-reads
Deb
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well... that was different. Let's use some adjectives: different, strange, confusing, some kind of spiritual that I don't necessarily relate to..
Let me first be clear for all those who did love and rave about this book. If you loved it and it helped you, for lack of other wording "Get your life", great and more power to you. I detract nothing from your experience with my opinion .
When I looked at the page for this book, there seems to be so many reviews praising this book for it's depth and
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, A Novel of Forgiveness for free 4 190 Feb 16, 2016 08:02AM
كويلو 1 22 Jul 15, 2014 08:48AM
Ask Paulo Coelho ...: a question of pain 3 246 Mar 28, 2013 11:30AM
amir kianafraz 1 33 Feb 05, 2008 11:16AM
Paulo Coelho Group 1 33 Oct 23, 2007 04:05AM

• Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
  • Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • Juventud en éxtasis
  • The Forty Rules of Love
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • The Little Prince
  • Tarzan and the Forbidden City (Tarzan, #20)
  • Cien Anos De Soledad/ One hundred Years of Solitude: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Compendios Vosgos
  • Studio Saint-ex
  • La Carcajada Del Gato
  • Volar sobre el pantano superando adversidad
  • Letter to a Child Never Born
  • Tarzan and the City of Gold (Tarzan, #16)
  • Biblia: Reina Valera 1960: La Palabra De Dios
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more

On the Seventh Day (3 books)
  • Veronika Decides to Die
  • The Devil and Miss Prym (On the Seventh Day, #3)