SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > 2nd Quarter Report: 2011 GoodReads Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Alright, guys and gals, how ya making out so far on your Goodreads challenge?

Congratulations to all who have completed theirs!
Inquiring minds want to know, will you be upping your number of books or leaving it as is?

message 2: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jun 30, 2011 06:38PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I just changed mine. I had originally signed up for 150. I did the 144 last year and had no problem, but that was when I was a crazy challenge addict. I'vE since burned myself out on the monthly challenges and have been reading at a more lazy leisurely pace.

I was 3 books behind pace and who needs that kinda pressure? Lol. So I changed it to 120. Ten books a month, and my earlier months of 10+ will help cover my lazy months. :)

message 3: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 1360 comments Like Steph said, congrats to those who have completed their challenges. Go YOU!

So far, I'm at 83 of 150. I read 37 books this quarter, not including re-reads. Since this challenge began, I've been reading an average of 14 books a month. Unfortunately, I only managed to read 10 this month due to personal problems & starting a new job at the library. Hopefully I'll get back on track next month. *crosses fingers*

As for upping my challenge? Maybe. On one hand, I'd like to push myself to read 200 this year. OTOH, I really don't want to struggle to read X books to reach my goal at the end of the year. The goal I've set for myself right now allows me to actually enjoy the books I read & worry less about not making it to the finish line.

message 4: by Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (last edited Jun 30, 2011 08:43PM) (new)

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments Well - I just upped mine a couple of days ago. Might regret doing it, but I'm at 76 of 150 now. I was originally trying for 125 but I've had a banner month! I actually read 18 books!!! That is the most I've read in the 3 years I've been keeping track.

Actually, I need to double check my books read. My original list says I've read 81, not 76. Guess I missed a few when I was transferring them over here.

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:18PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments WTG, Guys! I've had a great year so far and have read a total of 121 of 200. I read a bit over that in 2010. This quarter I've read 60, less than 1st quarter. With uni going now, I'll probably hover around 15-20/month.

message 6: by Kerstin (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:51AM) (new)

Kerstin | 862 comments Great going, ladies!
I'm currently at 78 of 150, which is about the halfway mark, so I'm nicely on track. I've read 37 books this quarter, compared to 41 last quarter.

message 7: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments I'm 49 of 50
Reading through Psy/changeling lately helped with that!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments I'm at 30 of 60, so I guess I'm on track! June was a complete write off for me because of the house move and work - only read 2. Hopefully I'll get back up to speed this month as there are so many great books coming out, such as Heartless and Forever.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 892 comments Im 61/120 so im on track :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 40/100 i'm a little behind but I'm hopoing this month will be a better reading month for me

message 11: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I'm 66/120 & 7 books ahead. I might up my number later on this year.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 2158 comments I think I'm going to increase mine I'm at 146/150. I had a bad year for reading last year and I only read 134 for the year. My reading has picked up this year, it's not at it's normal level but I now have 3 kids... :)
I'm scared to increase it too much incase I feel the pressure and it puts me off reading. I could have finished the 144 last year but I refused to pick up a book in December cause I was feeling the pressure and I don't want that. Decisions, decisions... :)

message 13: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 781 comments I'm 92/200. About 7 books behind, but I'm hoping to catch up. Funny enough it was my vacation that put me behind. I was caught up until then.

message 14: by Crystal S (new)

Crystal S (crystalann) | 487 comments I'm 89 of 130. That makes me 25 books ahead if the game, which means, if I keep up this pace, that I need to up my goal.

message 15: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Michelle wrote: "I think I'm going to increase mine I'm at 146/150. I had a bad year for reading last year and I only read 134 for the year. My reading has picked up this year, it's not at it's normal level but I n..."

You could always just increase it in December ;)

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Sherri wrote: "I'm 92/200. About 7 books behind, but I'm hoping to catch up. Funny enough it was my vacation that put me behind. I was caught up until then."

Last year my holiday screwed with my challenges too, Sherri. I expected to read a lot and only read 3 books that month. LOL!

message 17: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Yep, December is always a slow reading month for me, too.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 1241 comments I'm 36/60, which is pretty good for me. June was an unusual month for me. I think my average is 5-6 books a month and I read 8.

I figure, if I at least read 5 books each month between now and the end of October, I'll meet my goal before the holidays.

message 19: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments You're right on track - over 1/2 to reaching your goal. :)

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 2158 comments Steph wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I think I'm going to increase mine I'm at 146/150. I had a bad year for reading last year and I only read 134 for the year. My reading has picked up this year, it's not at it's nor..."

I gave in and increased it to 200. I passed my 150 :)

message 21: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 781 comments Last year my holiday screwed with my challenges too, Sherri. I expected to read a lot and only read 3 books that month. LOL!

I guess we just need to take less active vacations Steph and just go sit on a beach somewhere! At least I'm maintaining my deficit.. :-D

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Sounds good, Sherri! :D

message 23: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I'm definitely not upping mine. I was falling majorly behind but I will not be defeated. I just read about 10 short stories this week to get back on track. Cheating, I know but I just can't stand the thought of lowering my goal. Back to normal length books now.

90 of 175 (51%) Great work, you're on track!

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) | 161 comments I'm at 41/100. About 11 books behind. I'm sure that I can get either caught up or ahead by the end of July or August though :)

message 25: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2488 comments I completed mine. I set a goal of 100 and I hit that last month.

message 26: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Congrats, Mary! I hit mine as well :D

I'm sure you can Zakiya, seeing as the hols are coming up! Reading some short stories can help make up the numbers too ;)

message 27: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) | 161 comments Congratulations, Mary! :)

Josie, thanks for the support (; . Short stories would definitely help. Sadly, I have abuot 5 books that I'm stuck in the middle of. So those will have to come first. Then I'll cover myself with the shorts LOL.

message 28: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3607 comments Since this is the first year I ever kept track, I am ahead of goal by 30% 83/100! With summer craziness and holidays I may not get my 2 per week. So I'm keeping the same goal and will adjust next quarter if needed.

message 29: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I'm at 106/200. 53%. I'm on track, but I have slowed down from last year.

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2488 comments I used to read around 300 a year. I don't think I'll hit 200 this year unless I get on a shorter audiobook streak.

message 31: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) | 161 comments Last year was the first year I kept track, and I got 74 books. So if I can get at least 100, I'll be super proud of myself.

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments WTG, Finishers! YAY to all of us for rollin' along. :)

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) This is my first year of keeping track and I have read 82/100. I think I may increase the challenge once I get to 100.

message 34: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Great job, Lauren :)

message 35: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Well, I'm at 252/450 - 56% Great work, you're on track!

With a mixture of full length & shorts. But some of my re-reads aren't in there. You can only read a book once a year for it to count. LOL

Congrats to everyone :D

message 36: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Woohoo! I wanna be you when I grow up. ;)

message 37: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments ROFLMAO. You know you read faster than me already :)

message 38: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments >;) But you get to read more often, so it doesn't count. LOL!

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments It boggles my mind.....I was amazed 2 years ago when I first started keeping track of how many books I read. I listed 111, although I remember thinking I had missed some. That was 2009. Last year I read 130. This year I upped my goal to 150. Just don't see how I could squeeze more reading time out of my day. Well, unless I didn't come here and PBS and chat....

message 40: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments I used to read super, super slow. Like a month or more for one book! I've gotten faster over the past couple yrs and have read more books since 2009 than I've probably read in my life. Still would love to have more time to read. :) So many good books out there.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 740 comments I met my goal of 100 a few days ago, so I upped my goal to 120. I might need to raise it again but, we'll see how it goes. :)

message 42: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 634 comments I dropped my goal. I had it at 200 but I barely read at all between May and the end of July so I dropped it to 50. So now I'm at 72/50. I might put it back up later in the year but I'm leaving it low for now in case life gets in the way of reading again.

message 43: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) | 422 comments I'm at 97/150 for 2011 and I'm at 104/111 for the 11/11/11 challenge. I think I'm going to make it!! I've been reading some thick ones (500+ pages lately); I wish I could count them as two!

message 44: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) I am at 96/200 I thought about reducing it because I definitely do not have as much time to read but really I want to see how it works out. I tend to read less in the summer because I am out a lot so I am 31 books behind I think I can make it up and if not oh well :-)

I also hate that rereads don't count :-(

Congrats to all of you who finished though!!

message 45: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 634 comments Dawn wrote: "I am at 96/200 I thought about reducing it because I definitely do not have as much time to read but really I want to see how it works out. I tend to read less in the summer because I am out a lot ..."

Rereads don't count???

message 46: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments GR uses "date read" for your challenge stats so if you don't enter in a 2011 date, they won't count your book. In the case of re-reads, you can make it count towards your stats by changing "date read" to the 2011 date or add a new edition of the book when you re-read. There's a thread in the feedbacks group discussing this here:.

message 47: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 634 comments Okay Vivian thanks for the explanation :) This is the first time I've bothered adding read dates to my books so they're all coming up.

message 48: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments No problem. I came across the issue a few months back and felt a little gypped, but since my stats do count all the short stories I read, I figured it evens out :)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 557 comments I'm starting to panic - I'm now 2 books behind (that'll teach me to move house).

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments LOL Charlotte. 2 books isn't bad. You'll catch up in no time!

« previous 1