Start by marking “Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)” as Want to Read:
Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)

Heartless (Parasol Protectorate #4)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  26,625 Ratings  ·  2,210 Reviews
Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Orbit

Catie
Well, the shine has definitely worn off a bit for me, but I do always love a pregnant heroine. I have this little fantasy: two ruffians chase a woman into a dark alley, and just as they are about to attack, she flashes her stretch-marked, saggy belly at them. Their faces both register shock and fear, as they realize that she’s a complete bad-ass. Then they run away in terror. I wish that pregnancy scars were revered like battle scars.

Or you know, that I could wear a bikini and not feel self-cons
Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
More than one cat? Oh no. Nobody wants to be that vampire.

Still fun, still fabulous, still kicking ass at eight months pregnant.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I don't know what to think about this book. It's all over the place: the plot, the characters, the relationships.

There were a couple of times I hated what is happening. At one point of the story (view spoiler) Alexia does something so stupid that later when other characters praised her for her ability to 'sort' things out, I couldn't buy it. The sorting part of the praise was undeserved.

Her pregnancy is depicted in the most annoying way possible. Alexia hobbles t
Dija
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Series Review:

Gail Carriger is the most unique author I've ever come across. Her style is truly unparalleled in all of Fictiondom. She has immense talent for turning even the most mundane of things into the epitome of sophistication. If it wasn't for her writing, I doubt I would ever enjoy these books.

The Parasol Protectorate has the most original cast of characters ever. None of the characters in this series even remotely resemble any other characters out there, except for maybe Lord Maccon. A
Ashley
Look, if you've made it to book four of this series, you know what you're in for. Vast quantities of absurd silliness. Lots of naked werewolves (played comedically, of course). Foppish vampires. Alexia being no nonsense and getting herself into all sorts of trouble. A supernatural threat that's not really a threat, but mostly just an excuse for us to hang out with these characters for four hundred pages. The Parasol Protectorate is not plot heavy. These are hang-out books, and if you happen to l ...more
ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ
I loved, loved, loved this one! (Can you tell I really liked loved this one!haha!)My favorite in this series so far. Everybody and their mother needs a Floote by their side. And Lyall, my poor Lyall(I seemed to be repeating myself), his backstory brought me to tears. Mrs. Carriger, if you have any sympathy for the condition of my state of mind and the welfare of my kindle, please, please, please give Felicity a very slow and painful death!!!
Kaitlin
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initial Impressions:
I 100% adored this and I will write a full review of it tomorrow (it's late here). I am going onto book 5 asap and just have to say this was by far the best in the series to date and I loved it!!!!

Full Review:
Okay so I finished up this book and instantly went on to book 5. That to me is the sign of a very very good book because I like to plan out which books I shall read when, and if a book or series is good enough to make me deviate from that plan then it must be pretty amaz
Peter
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the first of the Parasol Protectorate books I read in paper; the others were all audio, where I loved the narration by Emily Gray. Reading it myself meant doing all Emily's voices in my head which proved a bit exhausting, but well worth it. The ongoing soap opera of Alexia Maccon and company in Carriger's Urban Fantasy/Steampunk 1870's London is always a delight.
Katie(babs)
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT!!

A pregnant Alexia waddling with her parasol through London like Sherlock Holmes is freakin hilarious.

Major wow twist of a cliffhanger that has me dying to read the fifth and final book.

Conall was the cuddliest and very caring about Alexia.

Total win of a book.
Tzippy
Here's what I liked about this book:

1) Finding out about Professor Lyall's past. It makes him a much more interesting character, not that he wasn't one of my favorites before.
2) The refreshing aspect of having an eight-months-pregnant heroine.

Here's what I didn't like:

Every single decision made by these characters that I used to like. For example:
(view spoiler)
Gloria Mundi
OK, so much as I love the characters, I have to admit I was a teensy bit bored throughout most of this book.

Alexia is very heavily pregnant in this latest instalment but she does not let the infant inconvenience get in the way of her usual antics, investigating a warning by a nearly demented ghost that an attemt on the Queen's life is being planned. Alexia and Connall are completely reconciled with barely a mention of his inexcusable (in my view) behaviour in the previous book, the vampires are
Penny Watson
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Observations about Heartless by Gail Carriger.....

1.) The cover is wack. The models on Soulless, Changeless, and Blameless looked like they could kick your butt, admonish your improper behavior and have a spot of tea all without missing a beat. The woman on the cover of Heartless looks like she'll burst into tears if you look at her funny. Wack.

2.) The humor is spot-on--Alexia waddling around London, thwarting would-be paranormal crimes with a massive pregnant belly barely slowing her down. The
Nikki
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, vampires
Heartless is still pretty fun, but the humour of these books is getting a little tired. For one thing, it relies on apocryphal stuff about the period (no, table legs were not considered indecent) and silly humour. And a lot of the humour in this book is basically “haha, Alexia is pregnant and huge, hahahaha”. I get that it’s a bit difficult to have Alexia up to her usual tricks without some glossing over of the fact that she’s eight months pregnant here, but yeesh, stop hanging lampshades on it, ...more
Jessica
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well, my little plum pastries, what larks we have had!

This book was possibly my favorite of the series so far, having featured copious amounts of Lord Akeldama, Biffy, Alexia having her sensibilities offended, and a riproaring good mystery to boot!

And not just the one mystery, my fluffy ducklings, but several mysteries are unraveled concerning Alexia's late father, Professor Lyall's past (and frankly, I could not get enough of Lord Akeldama calling him Dolly), and what to do with poor Biffy.

Hats
Melyssa
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
*HUUUUGE SIGH OF RELIEF* AHHHHHHHH!!

Finally finished this book! Thank you school for making it difficult for me to finish anything fun... ;)

Oh, my... Ohmyohmyohmy. I loved this book. Dare I say that it was more fun to read than a couple of the previous books in the series? Yes I dare.

Further reflection to come once I figure out what I'm going to say... :D
Suzanne Lazear
You all know how much I love these books. Gail Carriger is one of my favorite authors. When this surprise landed in my mailbox I didn’t read it, I devoured it in two sitting, while the hubby looked on in worry asking me why I was laughing so hard.

A ghost is on the loose and threatening Queen Victoria, Felicity has (gasp) joined the suffragette movement, there’s an infestation of zombie porcupines, and Madame Lefoux is inventing strange things. Alexia must deal with these while in her most delica
Lightreads
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Steampunk octopus. Steampunk octopus! . . . Steampunk octopus?

I dunno, if you’re gonna give me a steampunk octopus rampaging across Victorian London and battling werewolves, it’s gotta be with more conviction than that.

This series is like waxed fruit: it’s decorative, it’s pretty, it suits only very particular esthetics. And you really, really don’t want to do anything other than look at it once in a while and go, “yeah. Wax fruit.”

. . . Pretty fun, though.
Galleane
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quel bonheur ça a été de retrouver Alexia, Maccon et compagnie. J'ai passé un excellent moment et j'ai hâte de lire le dernier tome, en espérant ne pas attendre encore 3 ans pour me lancer.

Mon avis complet : http://bloggalleane.blogspot.fr/2018/...
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
3.7

I don't know exactly what to write here. I know that overall I enjoyed the book well enough to rate it a Goodreads three. I know that I'm excited to find out what happens next in the world of the Tarrabotti/Maccon's. I'm curious what will happen to Biffy and Akeldama and hell, even Felicity is interesting enough to follow.

BUT.

There was something missing from this book. Some spark, some thing that I can't put my finger on. I was confused during this book, which never happens in Carriger's
Sibil
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've missed them all so much!
I love all the characters! They are so unique and well characterized that they are amazing! And Carriger's writing is humorous and original and quite quirky. I loved it!
It's a book full of revelations and full of events, too. And it make me smile on more than one occasion.
Alexia is quite peculiar but awsome! And Floote is simply the best!

Mi erano mancati veramente tantissimo tutti quanti! E lo stile dell'autrice! Come ho fatto ad aspettare tanto prima di decidermi a
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
This one gets a solid four stars, perhaps even leaning toward 4.5

Splendidly woven, and everything seemed to come together so well in the end. Felicity drove me up the wall, Mme Lefoux remains delightfully ambiguous, and Alexia kicks so much ass. Floote was also a huge stand-out in this one, I was hoping he would get his moment eventually; he and Lyall are my favorites.
Maria V. Snyder
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been listening to all the Parasol Protectorate books by Gail Carriger and they're just plain fun. The reader is perfect and she makes me laugh out loud while I'm driving. I love the characters and the setting and Heartless was another great installment in the series. I'm really hoping for more books!
Ivy Deluca
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My review of the first book https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... applies to the series as a whole. The thoughts below are specific to Heartless.

description

The Good
Conall and Alexia’s romance is back on track and continues to be one of my favorite things about this series. They bicker throughout, but the affection is deep and comes through in every scene. Ms. Carriger still has a few plot twists left in her reticule and yes I continue to enjoy those twists and how they will impact the overall s
Rachel
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so, so much.

Lady Alexia Maccon is eight months pregnant, but she doesn't let that stop her from following up on an accusation made by a (mad) ghost: someone is trying to assassinate Queen Victoria. As always happens with these books, not all is as it seems!

Hijinks ensue, including my favorite scene: when Ivy Tunstall is (hilariously) asked to join the "Parasol Protectorate" -- which Alexia makes up as she goes along. We also learn Biffy's real name, find out something heartbre
Sara Price.
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars for me. I love this series, the characters are so much fun and the plot is always a lot of fun as well. I had just a few problems with, well I can't really say because spoilers but it was a few situations that I just had different thoughts than the main character. But overall I loved it and can't wait to get on to the next one!
Delitealex
3.5

I enjoyed this book but not as much as books 1-3. Not enough action and the mystery seemed unnecessary. I still love the characters and can't wait to see how the series ends.
Mehsi
Read a bit of this book every day. I am hoping to finish this series this week. After that I am going to read her latest M/M book.:P

The 4th book, pregnancy (and waddling around London solving mysteries), werewolves, vampires, zombie porcupines (??), romance, and more!

Yes, a confession, I skipped the third book. I read snippets of it so I knew vaguely what was going on. Sorry, I just couldn't stand a whole book with possible silly/overdone drama because of what happened at the end in book 2 (whic
Bry
I love this series. I love the way Gail Carriger writes. I love her humor. I love her characters. I love her quirky imagination. And I really want to lie to you all and tell y'all that I loved this book....

But I can't.

If we were sitting around a parlor in Victorian England sipping some earl grey, in a lace trimmed visiting gown, with my best kid skin gloves and ringlets I would be forced to submit to my best manners and in accordance with polite society gush over the entire book with alacrity.
The Flooze
**3.5-ish**

I have a great fondness for Alexia. Her exploits continue to entertain. However, as my friend CJ expressed in her review, there was some indefinable spark missing from this book. I also echo her sentiment that much of the plot might have been capably - and more enjoyably - handled in a short story or two. As a novel, there just wasn’t enough meat to it.

But before I try to reason that out: I was so pleased to once again have Akeldama’s societal schemes and italicized utterances pepper
Jessica B
I just absolutely love these books. I always find when I am reading them they just genuinely make me feel good.

Alexia seems to have no fear. No matter what her situation, eight months pregnant and all she is out trying to bring peace to the supernatural world. The vampires are still trying to kill Alexia but a solution presents itself that soon has the vampires allowing Alexia and her unborn child to live. But before long a new threat has arrived but this time Alexia is trying to help the vampi
Around the Year i...: Heartless, by Gail Carriger 3 14 Jan 15, 2017 04:41PM
Play Book Tag: Heartless - Gail Carriger - 4 stars 1 9 Apr 24, 2016 09:39AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #71 - Heartless 1 3 Apr 10, 2015 06:35AM
Shut Up & Read: Heartless by Gail Carriger - March 7 122 Mar 06, 2015 01:14PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Book #21: Heartless 2 4 Apr 24, 2013 03:31PM
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices, #3)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • Dreadnought (The Clockwork Century, #2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate, Custard Protocol, and Supernatural Society series for adults, and the Finishing School series for young adults. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond ...more
More about Gail Carriger

Parasol Protectorate (5 books)
  • Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“[She] lost her patience, a thing she was all too prone to misplacing.” 62 likes
“I am entirely capable."
"Of what, waddling up to someone and ruthlessly bumping into them?”
51 likes