Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > What is the worst book you have ever read?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Hello everyone :) I was just wondering what are some of the worst books out there that you have read or gave up on?

The worst book I have ever read was The Light Ages by Ian R. MacLeod and that was mainly because there was no ending and no point to the book at all. However, I didnn't realize until this year that there is another book! Uh I hate it when that happens lol, so maybe it isn't so horrible.

The worst book that I have ever read and not finished was The Blind Side. It was nothing like the movie and was actually worse than the movie. Sorry but I am not a big football buff and it was extremely hard to get through 40 pages worth of football history on how the blind side manuver was created. Just couldn't handle it.

Curious to see what some of you considered the worst book you have ever read was :) Any feedback would be appriciated! Thanks!

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments the perfect storm...boring but I'm trying to get through it. UGH.

message 3: by RB (new)

RB (rblindberg) Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson is by far the worst book that I have ever read. I've read other books that I think are bad, but this one is the one that always comes to mind first.

There are some books that want to like, but just can't manage to chew myself through them:f A Mercy and Beloved, both by Toni Morrison. Are they bad? I have no clue. I probably have to be at a different place in life to both finish and appreciate them.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) The Da Vinci Code, bar none. The thing was filled with poor research and outright fabrication masquerading as truth which people have actually fallen for. Worse, it was just one of the worst-written books I've read in my adult life. Thank God I didn't buy it.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments I love Robert Ludlum but I can't stomach The Cry of the Halidon. I'm not even a quarter through it and I'm bored. Should I keep going or stop?

message 6: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments maybe i'll read with my glasses on, might be eye strain

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) Tracey wrote: "The Da Vinci Code, bar none. The thing was filled with poor research and outright fabrication masquerading as truth which people have actually fallen for. Worse, it was just one of the worst-writ..."

I'm with you. I think the Da Vinci Code was the worst book I have ever forced myself to finish reading. An old boss of mine who loved reading lent it to me to read once and I mainly did so I didn't seem rude and then had to pretend that I really enjoyed it as much as he did. I'm just glad I never bought it for myself!

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I'd have to say the Da Vinci Code although it may not be fair since I didn't finish it. In fact, I only read part of the first chapter.

And I've never regretted it! :)

message 9: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments tempting Danger bored me so bad!

message 10: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Sonya wrote: "the perfect storm...boring but I'm trying to get through it. UGH."

Really? Man I always thought that that would have been a great read :) Well at least I know what I am in store for it I ever pick it up..thanks!

message 11: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Thanks for everyones posts! :)

message 12: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Also to let everyone know: I run a live radio book club on Sundays at 7:00pm and it is a book club for all ages and book lovers.

It is also for book topics such as this one :)

So, if you would like to discuss the book that you put on here as the worst book ever :) just let me know and I will give you the information!

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Michelle wrote: "An old boss of mine who loved reading lent it to me to read once..."

That's almost exactly the reason I read it, and the only reason I finished the thing: my boss at the time knew I read, knew I'd been to art school, and demanded I read it to tell her what I thought. (Just one of many reasons I really don't like that woman.)

I created a web-page highlighting as many of the idiocies I could find. I sometimes wish I had kept it.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Catch-22. I forced myself to make it halfway through before I gave up. It was infuriating and had no real point!

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments I disliked a few books over the years but none as bad as Atlas Shrugged and The Ruins.

message 16: by Corrina (new)

Corrina First to come to mind is The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud. What a waste of paper. The only thing I can even remember about it is the father of the main character had an affair with her friend.

It was definitely one of those "book club books" that is WAY over hyped.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. I really didn't like it at all.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Some of the Joanne Fluke series of cozy mysteries. Why I read more than one, I'll never know. Must be a masochist.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Edwards (beegee6868) | 2 comments Catcher in the Rye, Heart of Darkness, The Scarlet Letter pretty much all the books on the AP English summer reading list

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor As long as we're doing summer reading lists, my worst read was Wuthering Heights. I was so very happy when the characters started dying.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments The House of Night series written by P.C. Cast Marked. Terrible.

My daughter wanted to read them and I had heard a lot of different things about them so I borrowed them from my niece and read them. Just awful books.

These are the only books I have ever told my daughter she couldn't read. She is 15 now but at the time she was 10 or so. She is an advanced reader so for school in the 5th grade she had to pick off of a reading list for 12th graders for a school program they had. This book was on that list and I can't believe as bad as it was it was ever recommended for a school thing.