Start by marking “Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1)

Undead and Unwed

(Undead #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  49,727 ratings  ·  2,606 reviews
It'a been a helluva week for Betsy Taylor. First, she loses her job. Then, to top things off, she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites (besides waking up in the morgue dressed in a pink suit and cheap shoes courtesy of her stepmother) is that she can't seem to stay dead. Every night she rises with a horrible craving for blood. She's not taking too well to a li ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 255 pages
Published March 2nd 2004 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Undead and Unwed, please sign up.

Eddie
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of those guilty pleasure books that you feel somewhat embarassed about. Shuffling through the romance section of Barnes & Noble is a new and awkward treat for me. Not only did I not expect to ever read anything from this side of the bookstore, I never expected to enjoy it quite so much.

Before I go any further, my macho side feels compelled to point out that I originally stumbled upon one of Davidson's books in the new releases section and, having recently read Christopher Moore'
Sammy Loves Books
This sounded like a fun read, but it wasn't!!!
**1.5 "More Annoying than Entertaining" stars**

d

The heroine dies in a car accident only to wake up in the funeral home a few nights later. On her way home, she accidentally kills a few bad guys that are robbing and talking about raping a mom and her daughter. She then assumes she's evil and try's kill herself. Drinking Clorox, jumping head first off a high rise, drinking holy water, and sleeping in the sun to name a few. This is all suppose to be funn
Exina
“Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I can’t have a life.”

Based on the cover, I thought it would be a light story and it was. At the beginning, it looked like a PNR parody, featuring all the vampire clichés, but the author made a success out of using them. The story is told from Betsy’s viewpoint, and her voice is fun and snarky.

I love Betsy, there is so much potential in her character. She is a newbie vampire with extraordinary abilities. She has to learn much about her vampire nature, but a
Jilly
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super funny book that delivers the snark!
It's not a deep or complicated urban fantasy or anything. It's simple, cute, silly, and fun. Like a chick-flick book.

Personally, I don't have the shoe-fetish that we woman are all supposed to have. I must have missed that day in Femaling 101. But, Betsy the vampire still had enough other qualities that I could relate to - such as being a smartass. When she meets a large group of vampires, she has a few questions:

"Why don't we turn the goddamned lights o
valee
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Maybe it could be a 3 stars rating.

This book made me laugh hard most of the time. Although you must understand that it is a book to have a nice time, a fast and fun read. Don't expect any more that that because you won't get it. There's nothing serious about this book. There's no real romance neither. But still I had a great time.

The heroine is amazing. What can I say? I loved her humor. She's wicked and naughty, LOL. She really does have a great personality. My only problem was that she was to
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Betsy has had a bad day. She gets laid off from work and then hit by a car and smashed into a tree. When she wakes up in a coffin at the funeral home, wearing a ghastly pink suit and her "stepmonsters" cheap pink heels, she thinks she's a zombie and tries to top herself. Again and again and again. It takes a six-year-old to point out to her that she's got fangs and is a vampire.

That's just the beginning of Betsy's really bad week. Her best friend Jessica takes it all in her stride, and so does h
Rita
Feb 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans, PNR fans
The first good thing that I have to say about this book is that I love the title. It's funny. So, when I picked it up I had great expectations to it's entertaining value during my daily commuting. Sadly, I was wrong.

This book was in my opinion not funny at all, although I must stay that it tried very hard to be a funny book. Too hard, even.

The second positive that I have to say is that it's read quite quickly. That is a good thing, for a book this bad should either be tossed right away or be ov
Jess
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it
SO this book is about a narcissistic, slightly stupid woman who dies and becomes a vampire. But, she has all of these abilities that other vamps don't. She can walk in the daylight, go on holy ground, wear a cross, etc... The reason is because she is the foretold queen that has finally risen. Some of the current bad-ass vamps find out and want her to join their side.

Overall, the book was okay. I wasn't thrilled with it. I thought that the author was trying a little too hard for the characters to
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List ***

Before there was Molly Harper’s Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs there was MaryJanice Davidson’s Undead and unwed. They feel somewhat related, but although I really enjoy Harper’s fiction, I think I have had enough of Davidson’s. The difference, for me, is in the main character. I can relate to Jane Jameson (Harper)—she’s educated, she’s a librarian/bookstore owner, she’s snarky and sometimes a bit neurotic, but always basically good-hearted. Betsy Taylor (Davi
Sashana
I am a huge fan of chick-lit and paranormal romance, so combining the two genres is like reader heaven for me. Seriously, you get the best of both genres with this book: the insecure but lovable protagonist, her bad ass vampire crush, and some steamy sex scenes. What more could a girl ask for?

I was not going to stumble around like a zombie, scaring the hell out of people and pretending I still had a place in the world. "God," I said, teetering for balance, "I'm coming to see you know."

Betsy is
Amy
Mar 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
I think I'm still shell-shocked from reading this book. I belong to a "fascinating" book club where we only try and pick horrendous and/or fun/lights reads to make fun of when we get together. I actually had higher hopes when I started this one. I found out it was based in the Twin Cities where we all live, it had some witty and entertaining writing and it had been compared to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", which is my favorite television show of all time.
No - just no. I was really sickened by this
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
I read this last year and was just suggested it again. I never finished it so I didn't think it was fair to include it in my books read, but now I just want to rate and review it so that it won't be suggested to me again.

I am aware that this is just a fun read and not meant to be taken seriously, but honestly I couldn't stand it. The main character is a complete superficial, materialistic, idiot. There were some funny parts, but it was not enough to redeem this book for me.

Wasting my time on t
Svenja
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-sterne
So ein Buch habe ich bei dem Regenwetter gebraucht...

Der sehr humorvolle Schreibstil und die schlagfertige Hauptprotagonisten Betsy mit dem frechen und vorlauten Mundwerk sind eine perfekte Abwechslung im grauen Alltag.

Die Geschichte ist vielleicht nur 3 Sterne wert, weil sie nicht wirklich überraschend war, aber Betsy ist einfach so unterhaltsam. Bin gespannt, was da noch passiert :)
Aug 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
I wish Good Reads had more “star categories”. I would give this book 4 stars for concept and 0 stars for execution. This is another choice from my book rental club. Sometimes those choices have felt like crap shoots. Part of the problem stems from the fact that I make my choices based on reviews and book descriptions on the book rental web site. None of the reviews I read warned me that were this story a movie, it would be rated a very hard R.

The book cover is also misleading. Its cover art giv
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This was so much fun to read. It wasn't the usual vampire paranormal book but it was fun to read something different.
Mehsi
I am sure not many can top Betsy's week from hell. She doesn't have the most luck in that week. First she loses her job (thankfully she didn't like it that much, and I loved her chat about how the company would fall apart now and how she loved that), then she gets killed in a car accident (in the weirdest way), and then she wakes up in the morgue. Yep, our girl is one of the undead, a vampire to be specifically.

But Betsy isn't just any vampire. Oh no, this girl is like a vampire 2.0. Almost not
Kara
Sep 28, 2018 added it
Exina
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I can’t have a life.”

Based on the cover, I thought it would be a light story and it was. I hadn’t really read the blurb before I started reading. At the beginning, it looked like a PNR parody, featuring all the vampire clichés, but the author makes a success out of using them. The narration is smart, as the story is told by Betsy’s viewpoint, so you can comprehend and experience things with her.

I love Betsy, there is much potential in her character. She is
Julie Ehlers
Jan 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I have no idea why an author would make a narrator so incredibly unlikeable. Her rabid materialism is offputting, she mouths off to everyone, she juvenilely makes insipid puns on the names of people she doesn't like. She dislikes other characters for no apparent reason. She rips off jokes from Clueless, among other places. She's a registered Republican who knows nothing about the issues; a PETA member who gets sanctimonious about animal testing but still eats meat. She insists that the slaves ha ...more
Cereja Cult
Reviewed on 05/07/2012

Reasons to read this book:

• If you just finish reading a dystopian book, where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and want to get rid of that serious face and that line on your forehead.
• If you just finish reading a dystopian book where everyone is starving to death and fighting for survival, and you want eat chocolate ice cream without feeling guilty for all of those starving kids in the book.
• If you had a tough week at work and want to let out so
Carolyn  Storer
Undead and Unwed is the first book in the series featuring Betsy Taylor. Betsy is a young secretary who is attacked and then two months later run over by a car. She wakes up in a coffin and realises things are not quite right.

Betsy is fun, witty and loves shoes *a girl after my own heart* and after many attempts at trying to end her undead life, as her life pretty much sucked after losing her job, she realises that she cannot kill herself as she is now a vampire. She's also fairly independent, *
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is such a cheese fest but delicious all the same. It's exactly the kind of book you'd read when you're down because the ridiculousness of it is just so endearing as a whole.

The heroine, Betsy(yeap), is a newly made Undead and not happy about it, especially considering that what she's seen of the world of vampires so far is sooo last year. She loves her designer shoes, they make her world go round, hates her stepmother, loves her awfully rich best friend and absolutely hates the badly d
Mizuki
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I will only read the sequels only when I have a lot, and a lot of time to kill.
Jasmin
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance readers
Elizabeth Taylor. Betsy for short.

Life's been tough on her. Betsy got laid off. It's her birthday and she's too depressed to even celebrate. Then she gets hit by a car and dies. Well, not exactly, for she wakes up a few days later and she's in a freaking coffin.

While life has been cruel on her, her death hasn't been easy on her either. She's an odd freak of nature. It's not exactly normal to be walking after you shattered your skull into pieces. She tries killing herself, but to no avail, nothin
Büşra Öztürk
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
kitapta ki bütün karakterler ruh hastası. Bir tane normal adam yok ama bayıldım. 😂

Betsy harika bir kadın 😂😂😂
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
3.5
Although I didn't laugh out loud for most of the book. I did smile and almost giggle a few times. I'm glad a gave it another try. The world building is interesting. So far Betsy hadn't totally gotten on my nerves. But we will see. Off to the next book.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Goddddd, it's hard to know how to categorize some books. It's marked as Paranormal Romance, so I suppose I'll leave it at that. The story itself isn't heavy on the romance department as it's focal point, but instead is of a young woman coming to terms with her new undead status, vampires in her life trying to convince her she's the foretold queen savior, and embracing her love of designer shoes. Top this off with her best friend and new sidekick, a homosexual who has the hots for the vamp who ha ...more
Megan
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely ridiculous and I loved it!

Betsy is a total loon. She is obsessed with shoes and she's quite vain but she's also hilariously sarcastic. She takes nothing seriously. In real life I know I would probably hate her but I absolutely love reading about her and her life. What I did not like about this book was Sinclair. It's like the whole Charlie Davidison and Reyes all over again. I have read a few reviews and most of them go on and on about how amazing Sinclair is and I'm sit
Nadir
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Uh, where to start. This book is a very bland sort of read. The thrills aren't really thrilly, the action doesn't really happen and the romance is just unromantic. There are some funny bits, but far too few and the rest of the jokes forced. The main character, Betsy (great name) is a spunky blonde shoe-aholic, or at least she's meant to be. At least the author knows her character is a raving brat and tries to run with it. This book requires the reader to suspend their disbelief - mainly by using ...more
Tijana
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

In the library, this book stands at the chick lit section. Not sure if I can agree they got the genre right, but if they did, it's definitely weirdest and most bizarre chick lit I've ever read.
And the most entertaining one!
This is what the True Blood series would be like if it was written by Sophie Kinsella.
A book that makes it obvious we shouldn't take it too seriously, and I enjoyed every bit of it!
  • I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart #1)
  • You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1)
  • Real Vampires Live Large (Glory St. Clair, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3)
  • Bitten & Smitten (Immortality Bites, #1)
  • Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2)
  • High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1)
  • Dead End Dating (Dead End Dating #1)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author and motivational speaker who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series and is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author. She writes a bi-weekly column for USA Today ("A Writer's Life") and lives in St. Paul with her family. You can reach her on Facebook and follow her on ...more

Undead (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2)
  • Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3)
  • Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4)
  • Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)
  • Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6)
  • Undead and Unworthy (Undead, #7)
  • Undead and Unwelcome (Undead, #8)
  • Undead and Unfinished (Undead, #9)
  • Undead and Undermined (Undead, #10)
  • Undead and Unstable (Undead, #11)
“Hell couldn't be worse than a WalMart after midnight, right?” 52 likes
“We have souls. Sure we do. Otherwise we'd do bad things all the time. You know, like
politicians.”