The Shining The Shining discussion

too scared

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy I really want to read this book, but I get scared so easily and I hear this book is super scary

Danielle Have you seen the movie? I loved the movie, but I didn't find it too scarey which is why I decided to read the book after. The book is a little scarier and a bit different. I didn't find it overly scarey though.

Valerie Judy wrote: "I really want to read this book, but I get scared so easily and I hear this book is super scary"

This was the first Steven King book I read and it was sooo good. How scary it is depends on you and your imagination. When I read it it was winter time and I had a window that wasn't closed all the way and the wind was blowing through the window so it made the book come to life for me.

I didn't find it scary so much as it was a real thriller.

Go ahead, read it. If it gets too scary for you you can always stop reading it. Or better yet, find someone to read it with you.

Kressel Housman I found the book loads better than the movie. You get much more insight into the little boy and "the shining."

Debbie Loved this book!! It was one of the first more "adult" reads I chose in high school. A little scary, but I agree, it's more of a thriller!!

Prerak Indeed the book was powerful read...especially it had one of the finest first few chapters i have ever read. It was damn engaging, and definitely very interesting book to read. At many parts, especially the slow degradation of Danny's dad into madness is the best of all...but still, it wasnt really spine-curdling or any of that sort....engaging and damn interesting read for sure. Highly recommended for sure, but still for real terror part...one should read Pet Sematary of Stephen King...that's raw terror!

Anna Questerly Judy wrote: "I really want to read this book, but I get scared so easily and I hear this book is super scary"

I read this book when I was thirteen and refused to go the the bathroom without my little sister. It is truly a terrifying tale, I loved it!

Abigail I would say read this. It is a classic and excellent read. It takes a while to get to the scary parts. I agree, don't read Pet Sematary if you're scared easily!

Prerak Pet Sematary was indeed one of the finest and darkest books of Stephen King. The entire environment of the book was so dark and disturbing that by the time i finished the book, i had to take 3 deep breaths just so to control my excitement and feeling for the book.

Danielle Prerak wrote: "Indeed the book was powerful read...especially it had one of the finest first few chapters i have ever read. It was damn engaging, and definitely very interesting book to read. At many parts, espec..."

I completely agree. The Shining was my first Stephen King read. I mainly stayed away from his books because I always thought I just wouldn't like those types of books and some of the movies are disappointing to me (with the exception of some of the classics). Now that I've finished The Shining, I may have to give Pet Semetary a try.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Anna Questerly author of The Minstrel's Tale wrote: "Judy wrote: "I really want to read this book, but I get scared so easily and I hear this book is super scary"

I read this book when I was thirteen and refused to go the the bathroom without my lit..."

I read this book in January, and I still make sure the shower curtain is open before I go to bed. I can't stand how scared I feel when I wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and that shower curtain is closed. And I'm 25, I can't imagine how I would have acted when I was 13!

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Questerly ohh! I know, isn't it great that a book can make you feel such a powerful fear? To me that is the mark of a great writer and I LOVE Stephen King's older books because of that. IT, Pet Semetary, Christine, Cujo,Salem's Lot and Carrie, all gave me that thrill.

Prerak @Danielle, I know, Stephen King movies have been tooo cheesy and too stupid many times, but thats probably because of the state of technology in those times and stupid Director's insight into the movie who thought that boiling or desolated stinking faces with green goo on them could ever scare anyone...but we can't blame Stephen King for all that...no matter what, but he has remained the King of horror fiction for more than 70 years...and that's close to a century...he is one of the FINEST story tellers In whole world...and c'mon...its truly remarkable to write more than 500 stories, over 100 novels, novellas, and almost all of them INTERNATIONAL BESTsellers...he is a gem...and dont judge him on the grounds of stupid movies...read PET SEMATARy...and praise the talent and scope of his stories at the least, cuz that cannot be escaped from! :-P

Mike Prerak wrote: "@Danielle, I know, Stephen King movies have been tooo cheesy and too stupid many times, but thats probably because of the state of technology in those times and stupid Director's insight into the m..."

C'mon Son! Dude aint even 70 years old. He did get into the swing of his career in the 70's... maybe that's where you made a wrong turn.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa James The book is MUCH better than the movie, which was interesting, but it left SO much out. I absolutely don't like slasher horror or slasher flicks, I think they are stupid, over the top, & completely ridiculous. King isn't the King for nothing. I have had a terror of clowns ever since I read It, & yes, I saw the movie too as an adult because I wanted to compare.

Read it, it's much more of a psychological thriller than "horror" as you are probably thinking of.

message 16: by James (new) - rated it 1 star

James Marinero I've read Carrie and Firestarter, and didn't enjoy them. The writing and plots are good, but I no longer enjoy occult books. As a teen, I read most of Dennis Wheatley's occult novels and enjoyed them.

Back to Stephen King - I've never read Shawshank Redemption, but seen and enjoyed the film many times. I guess I need to locate the other King books that are not occult related. Ah yes, Misery too.

Prerak KING started publishing at thee age of 17...wrong calculation indeed...but thats still close to half century...:-)

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa James I wasn't impressed with Carrie or Firestarter as books. Carrie was a classic horror movie, & Firestarter was interesting as a movie too. I've never read or seen Shawshank Redemption. Misery I read, wasn't enthused. Couldn't stand the Drawing of the Three, thought that whole series was a flop personally, but I know there are those out there who loved them.

His more recent one I read that I really enjoyed was Duma Key.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I haven't liked his more recent books I've read, but I like the classic King.
The Shining is not scary at all--I'm listening to it on audio right now. Some of his scarier books (for me) were Tommyknockers (maybe only scary b/c I read it when i was 13 and had never read King before), Misery, and Salem's Lot. I read Pet Sematary, but I don't remember it scaring me that much.

Prerak @ Melissa...very true...and Stephen is mostly hot...heheh

Scott This is the scariest King book I've read.

Debbie Mcarthur Good book and they actually did good job on the movie too but I wudn't say it was too scary.

Lorraine I found this book scary, but Bag of Bones gave me nightmares.

Lindis Russell I can't say that it's too scary. Yes, it is scary, but I like scary books and movies. It takes quite a bit to frighten me.
I thought the book was so much better than the movie. They changed too much in the movie for me. BUT when the movie was made, authors didn't have as much power as to how the film is made back then, like they do now. Rowling and Meyer have a lot to say about how the movies are made. If I remember correctly, (feel free to correct if I'm not) King hated Carrie, and he said that the made for TV verson of The Shining is alot closer to the book. I gotta get a hold of that one!!!

Keith Melton The Shining is one of my favorite haunted house/haunted place stories. The scene(s) in room 217 is flat out creepy. Then again, I find ghosts more unnerving than monsters. Another favorite is Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House.

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I happened to read The Shining and The Haunting of Hill House one after another. I didn't even do it intentionally, I just happened to read them very close together. It really made me notice the similarities. Both great books, and I know Shirley Jackson is a favorite/influence of King's so it probably influenced his haunted house (or hotel) story.

Jennifer Reeves I grew up on Stephen King, Dean Koontz and John Saul. I really liked Pet Cemetery. I read it as a teen when I was about 15 or so. I was disappointed in the movie because it was so different. The made for tv version had more similarities than the movie. I do like his older books better. Tom yoni Kees was one of my favorites. I also like his sci-fi books. I haven't finished the Gunslinger series.

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I agree, the older books are much scarier.

Gavin Have to agree,his older books were a lot better. His style has changed a lot over the years. @Lena: I'm sure he mentions The Haunting of Hill House in a few of his books. Salem's Lot is another one of them.

Jennifer Reeves Lol.....that was suppose to say Tommyknocker was one of my fav books.....stupid auto correct!

Angela Judy wrote: "I really want to read this book, but I get scared so easily and I hear this book is super scary"

put it in the freezer when you get too scared, a'la Joey. LOLOLOL

Caddy Rowland This is the scariest book I have ever read. I really loved it, but I had nightmares for weeks after reading it...and got hives! Never had that happen before. THe best horror novel out there as far as I am concerned. I liked Stephen Kind during his earlier years much better. He was scarier then, instead of going for the gross out.

Nancy Boone I agree that King's earlier works were much better than some of his newer stuff. Maybe it had to do with the drugs he was using back then...LOL> But I still love to read all his books. I also thought Bag of Bones was really creepy...

Sherry I really love The Shining. It is one of my favorite novels, along with Bag of Bones, but then King is my favorite author. I have read everything he has written. The Shining is a book I have read multiple times, and I also re-read The Stand and It yearly if I am able to. Some of his newer work is quite different from his older work, I don't necessarily believe this is a bad thing. It is growth as an author and a person. But some I do like better than others. Duma Key was definitely in the vein of his "older" works and one of my favorites by him.

Nancy Boone Laura wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I agree that King's earlier works were much better than some of his newer stuff. Maybe it had to do with the drugs he was using back then...LOL> But I still love to read all his boo..."

I enjoyed Bag of Bones. I think you should at least give it a try.

Alondra Miller Shining did not seem to scary to me, Judy; but of course I am creepy like that I guess. I found "IT" to be much scarier; like lights on scary. There is a part that is creepy to me, but I refuse to spoil. Just post when you finish :D

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not a fan of Stephen King,but this book was simply amazing! I use to imagine everything while I'm reading so what happened in my mind was scarier than the film.

Nancy Boone redrum, redrum.......

Caddy Rowland Exactly! My sister in law walked in on my nephew back when he was a little boy, and he was saying that over and over. Really was scary sounding she said. He must have heard us talking about it.

Misty The Shining is in my top 5 fave scary books. It is very scary at times but also a wonderful story. If you watch the remake of the Shining with the guy from Wings in it you have basically read the book, The Kubrick version pretty much only took the good parts and added a lot of flare. The remake is not of good quality like the original but still stays much truer at the end of the day. Its not for someone who is scared easily because this story will have you deep in thought, imagination running wild while laying in bed at night.

Alondra Miller Don't be scared, just sleep with the light on like the rest of us.
Once I read this book as a grown adult with children; I figured I would no longer be scared.... NOT. The creepiness seems to set in moreso, since I know the truth.

message 42: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami E. Bowen I read The Shining by Stephen King when I was a tweenager and it didn't really scare me as much as Cujo by Stephen King . The latter is the reason I freak out if my hands and/or feet are danging over the side of the bed and all closet doors near whatever bed I'm sleeping in, (hotel room/friend's/family/home), must be shut all the way before I can sleep. Read the book and you'll understand. The thing about "The Shining" is, in my opinion, that the movie is much, much more frightening. To this day I can only watch it partway. The scariest moment is when Jack goes into the woman's suite and she starts to seduce him only to become a swiftly decomposing corpse and it's that insane, wild, evil cackle that gets me every single time. Nightmares for a week, I tell ya! But, even though I didn't find the book all that scary, that's not to say it's not a great story. To paraphrase one of my favourite t.v. show characters; "It's dark and twisty" and highly enjoyable. Just don't watch the movie alone!

message 43: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Stephen King's IT was the most terrifying for me. I love how he describes things and the amount of detail he uses. There was so much more within the book than what was in the movie and I can actually say the book gave me chills. He really knows how to get to the heart of what truly scares us. It makes me feel like a little kid again every time I read one of his older books and I absolutely love that.

Gavin You will all be glad to know he is doing a sequel to The Shining called Dr Sleep. Young Danny Torrance is back. Can't wait for that. :)

Nancy Boone Oh wow. I bet that will be a great one. Hope it comes out soon.

message 46: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann I love both book and movie but in the movie it is hard for me to get past Danny riding his Big Wheel down the hotel corridors -- something could jump out any minute! Brrr.

Emily the book was really good..........the movie sucked

Harmonie What! The movie is amazing!

Bridget Bowers The Jack Nicholson movie is just a great scary movie. I don't try and compare it to the book, they are too different. The Shining is a very great read, and if you are like me, my imagination gets going and I scare myself.

My first experience with King was The Stand, and I love it! I read my first copy of it so many times the book fell apart.

IT has to be my second favorite. I was already freaked out by clowns thanks to Poltergeist, but there is nothing more creepy than that dang clown! I thought Tim Curry did an excellent job of being terrifying in the TV movie version, but as always the book is far superior. When I read IT these days, I totally picture Tim Curry as the clown.

Emily theres a sequel to the shining? yay, im so excited!!

« previous 1