What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Mystery Gatepost
This topic is about The Mystery Gatepost
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children or YA mystery about an old house and a missing rose that was to be paid as rent [s]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kris (last edited Jun 28, 2011 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I read this sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's and it was far from a new book then, so I suspect it was written in the 1950s or 60s. Spoiler alert because really all I can remember is the conclusion to the mystery.

A family moves into an old house in England. I know there are at least two children, probably a boy and girl. At one time the house had been rented out for one red rose delivered yearly, I think. At some point in the past, a child/young person (Boy maybe) had been dispatched to deliver the rose but never made it to his destination and scandal ensued. In the modern world, the children are enthralled by the mystery and start poking around looking for clues.

Somehow events conspire and I think someone falls into cavern or hole on the property. I have the mental image of a wall associated with the discovery of a preserved rose and possibly the body of the child(boy?) who was supposed to deliver it.

I know the book is NOT "The Rose Rent" by Ellis Peters.

Kris | 215 comments Mother always said I ask the tough questions! Hopefully someone has the answer someday...

Kris | 215 comments I wish I could remember more of it...

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Do you think it could have been a fairytale retelling, because since someone is asking for something out of the ordinary like a rose I immediantely think of the random requests that are made in fairytales (cinderella:twig; beauty and the beast: rose). I don't know if this helps but it might.

Kris | 215 comments No it wasn't a fairytale retelling...me at that age wouldn't have touched a fairytale for the world! hahahaha

No it was a mystery set in the modern world somewhere between the 1950s and 1970.

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Jul 22, 2011 09:52PM) (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Oh well I thought it might help. best of luck finding it.

Kris | 215 comments Thank you!

message 8: by Angela (last edited Jul 23, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Angela | 62 comments Hi Kris, I've also been searching for your book, but so far the only thing I've been able to come up with is that a rose paid for rent seems to be an old English custom and is referred to as "quit-rent". I wish I had more information for you, hopefully it will turn up one day.

Kris | 215 comments YAY! That means I didn't imagine the book! hahahaha

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments I can't find out much about it, but Death Is a Red Rose seems to fit the time period.

message 11: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments MUCH to recent...

I read this one in the 70's and it wasn't a new book then.

message 12: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Diana wrote: "I can't find out much about it, but Death Is a Red Rose seems to fit the time period."

Oh I see... Goodreads listed the book as copyrighted in 1993 but Amazon says 1970.

No I'm certain it wasn't that one. I think Dorothy Eden wrote romances and at age 10 or so I would NOT have been caught alive much less read reading a romance.

The book I am looking for was definitely written for children/young adults. The main characters are preteen or early teens, as was the boy killed in the past.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennicat) I wonder if that's the same book I'm looking for.

Was it a Blue rose? I don't remember the rose as rent though. Otherwise it sounds similar. The 2 protagonists sneak onto the landlord's property and find old toys in the hollow of a tree?

I can't help with the title, if it's the same book I'm looking for, but if you figure it out, let me know please!!

message 14: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I don't think it was.

The one book I remember about blue roses talked about putting white roses in food coloring to turn them blue. hmmm I wonder what that book was?

message 15: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Bump

message 16: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Bump

message 17: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments *peers around shiftily*

message 18: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 113 comments Kris, I do hope that you find this one. I want to read it.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Actually, according to WorldCat (which is considered a reliable source), Death is a Red Rose was originally published way back in 1956.

Please, if you find errors, or even something you think might be an error, in the goodreads catalog, report it. Best in the librarian's group and best if you have more data (eg the link to the book page in worldcat or the author's page), but even if you just draw our attention to it here that will help us make GR a better place.

(& now I'm off to fix it)

message 20: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments If I did that I'd never get any reading done.. seriously

message 21: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Wishful thinking???

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) bumping is good, as we do get new members regularly. I'm glad you're not giving up!

message 23: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 76 comments Kris wrote: "Wishful thinking???"

Nah - it happens. I had a book solved after over a year waiting. Sadly I can't help with this one though :(

message 24: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
And I had one after almost 3 years. So just hang in there and keep on plugging. :o)

message 25: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Two men walk into a bar...

the third ducks and bumps the thread

message 26: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments bump

message 27: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments *Boots thread in the butt*

message 28: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

ok Kris, you definately have an "interesting" way of bumping your thread. Hoping that this is ID'ed since I think I'd like to read it too.

message 29: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Thanks! Err I think....

message 30: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments What did the scarecrow say as he fell down the stairs?

Bump

Bump

Bump

message 31: by Andria (new) - added it

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
Kris, I just want to tell you that your "bumps" are so hilarious, they have made this thread and your request very memorable...so I am always keeping an eye out for a book that meets this description!

message 32: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Thank you!

I try to make it fun...

message 33: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Sigh, I do wish we could get this ID'ed as it will go onto my TBR mountain--altho I think that its now reaching the point of being an entire RANGE of mountains--maybe the Alps . . . .

message 34: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments *peers over at her own mountain chain... maybe the Himalayas* Yeah, I hear you...

message 35: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 318 comments feel like mines the size of mount Olympus on mars.

message 36: by Andria (new) - added it

Ok, this is a super long shot, especially since I can't find any plot summaries for this book, but perhaps The Old Monk's House Mystery. Since the rose rent thing seems to be historically associated with monasteries, maybe??

message 37: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments I fould a copy for sale in the US, however at 25 bucks I'm not going to blindly purchase it. So I have asked the seller if they'd mind typing up the blurb for me.

Thanks Andria!

message 38: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Well I heard back from the bookseller and they sent me a scan of the cover blurb. It seem familiar, now I just need to decide if I want to pay 31 dollars for a maybe...

Should we do a timeshare since I've found only one copy and three people at least now want to read it? :D

message 39: by Andria (new) - added it

Kris, I will see if I can get a copy through inter-library loan at work. That way we can verify the plot, at least.

message 40: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Oh please! Thanks!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Ooh, and then (if you get it) we can get the GR book record updated too. :)

message 42: by Andria (new) - added it

Bad news, y'all. My interlibrary loan request was denied. There aren't any copies of that book to be found in any of the participating library systems. Sorry!

message 43: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Ahh well then, not a surprise since it is so old. Well I will decide in the next day or two whether to buy this one I found or not.

message 44: by Andria (new) - added it

I just wish we could find more information about it. Too bad the bookseller wont read it and give you a decent summary before you decide to buy :)

I'll poke around a bit more, see if I can dig up anything. Doubtful, but I'll try.

message 45: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Yeah, well it's okay. Thanks for your efforts!

message 46: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod

Found a pic of the cover, I don't know if that helps at all.

message 47: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Yeah I have that. The seller scanned the cover and one flap for me. It's just so long ago, I can't be certain if it is the right one

message 48: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
There's a copy at the Zentralbibliothek Zürich, maybe you can fit that into your travel plans or something.

message 49: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris | 215 comments Uh yeah...

The 31 dollars to the US seller would be cheaper

message 50: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I too tried to get a copy through InterLibrary Loans. There IS a copy in Boston--but they won't lend it out. Sorry. Still, if you are close to Boston. . .

« previous 1 3