Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Cooking Chat > Looking for a Vegan Cookbook?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) If you're looking for a specific type of vegan cookbook, please post here, and our members will give their suggestions.

Perhaps you want a book that veganizes old favorite recipes, has mouthwatering color photos, has delicious desserts, is gourmet, is easy & simple for beginning vegan cooks, has inexpensive recipes, etc. Whatever it is you're looking for, please just ask.

message 2: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments I am looking for a book and I posted my question in the wrong section. So I'll ask again. I am looking for a vegan cookbook with beautiful photos of food. And beautiful photos of food is the only criteria. No other aspect of the book matters for my purpose.
I want mouthwatering photos. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie wrote: "I am looking for a vegan cookbook with beautiful photos of food."

Vegan World Fusion Cuisine :Over 200 award-winning recipes (which is the one I've already suggested to you and that we talked about recently)

and

I really liked the photos in Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday.

I'll think of others, I'm sure; I'll take a look at my books when I have some time and add others.

I'm sure other members will have suggestions too.

Nettie, At the bottom of this thread you'll see a Email me when people comment* link. If you click on it you'll get options for getting emails if there are replies in this thread. That way, you won't have to continually return to check. Just fyi. There is that same link in all threads in all groups.

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Funny I just remembered that I came across this blog this morning. I don't know if this will be any help to you, but I had to share. http://mouthwateringvegan.com/

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lindsey wrote: "Funny I just remembered that I came across this blog this morning. I don't know if this will be any help to you, but I had to share. http://mouthwateringvegan.com/"

Ooh, Lindsey, you can post this site in the vegan websites thread too!!!

And, Nettie, I agree with Lindsey that the books I've read (The Conscious Cook, The Joy of Vegan Baking, The Happy Herbivore) all have wonderful photos!

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Will do! :D

message 8: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Mar 11, 2011 10:39AM) (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
Nettie, I second the Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday recommendation. It has beautiful photos! Last night I cooked a recipe from The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors, it has about 30 pages in the centre with some yummy looking food photos.

message 9: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments Vegan Brunch is another good one!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lindsey wrote: "Vegan Brunch is another good one!"

I second this one. I got way too hungry when I was reading this book.

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lindsey wrote: "The Conscious Cook: Delicious Meatless Recipes That Will Change the Way You Eat"

That's the one that stood out when I looked over my shelves with this question in mind. The photos are beautiful but most of the recipes are way beyond my level!

message 12: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 42 comments I haven't tried a single one yet even though I've had it for over a year. I'd really like to try some, but I'm worried about hard to find ingredients. I bet some recipes are easier than others (hopefully).

message 13: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Is it true that he uses a lot of Gardein products in his recipes? That's one of the reasons I haven't purchased the book.

message 14: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 11, 2011 01:57PM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "Is it true that he uses a lot of Gardein products in his recipes? That's one of the reasons I haven't purchased the book."

Yes, he does. I'm not big on using a lot of processed meat substitutes when I cook. Usually if I use them it's more for convenience and a quick meal and if I'm going to a lot of trouble cooking I want to do it from scratch. (That said, his lemon piccata "chicken" looked ah-maze-ing!)

message 15: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Hmmmm, I think this will definitely be a library check-out first. Maybe instead of using the gardein stuff I could replace it with home-made seitan.

message 16: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Thank you Lindsey, Lisa, Lee and Kathryn for the suggestions for books with photos!
Now I can head out to the library and bookstores with names of books to check out.
It's fairly expensive to put beautiful color photos in books, (I assume it requires a food stylist as well as photogapher to get good photos) so not that many books have lots of photos. Thanks again for your help.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Mar 26, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie, I've found some more books with great photos. I just read Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan and the photos were mouthwatering; they definitely have a food stylist. And, it's all cookies but I'm reading The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur: Over 140 Simply Delicious Recipes That Treat the Eyes and Taste Buds by Kelly Peloza and the photographs are amazing, and way too tempting.

By the way, Lauren Ulm took her own photos for Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday, and makes a point of saying she's not a professional photographer, but the food looks wonderful in her photos; the photographs are really good!

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lisa wrote: "Nettie, I've found some more books with great photos. I just read Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan and the photos were mouthwatering; they definitely have a food stylist."

I agree! In fact, it interested me to read that they said all of their recipes have to be visually appealing because it's based on being in a magazine and thus visual-appeal is of great importance. So, you will find lots of pretty food here! ;-)

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks If I were to buy a vegan cookbook (for a rather novice cook and one who likes spicy foods, but wants things rather simple), which book would be a good book to start with. I have had The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes out from the library, and I kind of like it, but there are too many "fake meat" recipes for my liking.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, I will think about this! There are some specifically "spicy" vegan books, such as Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes by Robin G. Robertson, although many recipes in it aren't that hot & spicy, and I'm not so sure it's good for novice cooks.

I think the key is to find an "easy" book and it's so easy to add spices to anything. I often add jalapenos & crushed red pepper, extra garlic, curry spices, Italian spices, etc. etc. to dishes I make. And, extra spices are usually easy to add to any savory dish.

So, I'm assuming you want a book that doesn't have many faux meat dishes? And, are photos important? You can also check the books on our vegan-basic-easy shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

but there may be many other books that will better suit a novice cook who likes spicy foods and no fake meat. (I qualify, so I'll try to come up with some ideas!)

message 21: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Gundula, I will think about this! There are some specifically "spicy" vegan books, such as Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes by [author:Robin G. Robertson|1844..."

Lisa, that spicy title looks yummy, thanks. I think I will try that one out. I like photographs, but I don't have to have them. And yeah, not too many faux meat dishes (they just don't look appealing to me, I've tried seitan and did not like it all that much).

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, Those recipes might be more complicated...let me check my copy later today... I'll think of some easy to make recipe books, and I suspect other members here might have helpful ideas too.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ah, It was Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers by Terry Hope Romero I was thinking of that has more advanced recipes.

Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes by Robin G. Robertson has easier recipes, but there are quite a few with fake meats: vegan sausage, tempeh, seitan, although beans could be substituted in some.

And, remember, any recipe from any book can have various spices, peppers, etc. added to it.

I'll put on my thinking cap, Gundula, and everybody else too please think of books that meet Gundula's specifications in her message #19. Thanks.

message 24: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Ah, It was Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers by Terry Hope Romero I was thinking of that has more advanced recipes.

[book:Vegan Fi..."

If beans can be substituted or lentils, I might give that book a try. I love spicy foods.

message 25: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Yesterday I bought Vegan Yum Yum. I'm very impressed that the author took the photos herself in her own kitchen; not a trained chef or photographer (I think) and look at her book and blog. The photos make it a good book to show students and others.

I also looked at the Vegetarian Times book - yes it does have great photos.

So

message 26: by Lisa (last edited Mar 29, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie, I'm glad, and I agree. No, Lauren Ulm is an amateur, but a very skilled one.

message 27: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Gundula, I really like Robin Robertson's recipes in general. I don't have Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes though so I can't comment on that one. I do have 2 or 3 of her other books and I find her recipes very appealing so she might be a good author for you to try.

message 28: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Nettie, I like Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday a lot, especially the recipe for Hurry-Up Alfredo Sauce and the Roasted Eggplant Pasta Sauce. I might have the names wrong but you will find them.

message 29: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Messina | 33 comments Hurry-Up Alfredo from Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everydayis among my all-time favorite recipes. I make it almost every week (although I replace the soymilk with silken tofu plus a little water which makes it more creamy) to serve over veggies.

And I do sometimes add cayenne to it to make it spicy!

I think almost all of my favorite cookbooks have recipes that range from easy to complex. I think the books by Jo Stepaniak tend to be fairly simple, though, with short ingredient lists.

message 30: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Ginny, I was just about to ask you on the batch cooking thread what your variations to the sauce was but you just answered my question! My daughter LOVES this sauce so we make it at least once a week too. I always throw in green veggies for the last minute or two of cooking and it's an easy one pot meal!

message 31: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Well, I'm like Lisa. I don't do much cooking from my cookbooks. I have my food routines, but I think I will have to make a point to try the hurry up alfredo.
I seek out recipes that are quick and easy, so based on the name, it sounds right up my alley.

message 32: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Nettie the sauce is great because the whole thing is done in the blender, no cooking required! You can just pour it on your pasta or veggies.

message 33: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Dijulio | 160 comments Nettie wrote: "I am looking for a book and I posted my question in the wrong section. So I'll ask again. I am looking for a vegan cookbook with beautiful photos of food. And beautiful photos of food is the only c..."

Nettie, I hope this doesn't come across as "braggart-ish," but I think you might like the photos in my new cookbook, "The Blooming Platter: A Harvest of Seasonal Vegan Recipes." There are 8 pages of full color photos, each with 3-4 photos, organized by season. The background color of the pages changes subtley for each season, as well as being identified by a seasonal icon. I can't claim to be a photographer--far from it!--but I am an artist/high school art teacher, so I have some background in composition/color and I'm learning! The book's wide range of recipes have been called "creative" and accessible by reviewers, so I hope you might find it helpful. There are also hundreds more photos on my blog: www.thebloomingplatter.com. In addition, I own some of the other suggested books like Isa's Vegan Brunch book and Tals' Conscious Cook, and I can attest to the beauty of the photos in each. The Millennium Cookbook is another I own and love for many reasons, including its photos. Cheers!

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Ginny, thanks for the silken tofu tip for the alfredo sauce. I've been trying to think of a savory sauce idea for it all day to use up the rest of the box I just opened. I was going to try it in some nooch, but I think I'd rather have this for dinner.

And Nettie, my favourite pretty picture book to add to the suggestions is The Artful Vegan. I start drooling evereytime I open it. The recipes are a little labour intensive, but since your're only interested in pictures then there you go!

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jayme wrote: "nd Nettie, my favourite pretty picture book to add to the suggestions is The Artful Vegan."

This The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant? I have that book. It's Millennium Restaurant's 2nd cookbook, their first being Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine. They're both by Eric Tucker. The recipes are really, really complex, at least for this novice level cook, but the food is wonderful. I haven't looked at them for a while so I forgot their situation re photos.

message 36: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Yup tnat's the one. I posted and then realised Betsy already beat me to recommending The Millenium Cookbook. I imagine their photos are similar quality, which is awewsome! You should take another look through Artful Vegan, Lisa. The recipes are set up in a way that make it so you can just take out peices of a recipe. Like the soft garlic polent, which is super yummy, is part of the much bigger meal of white bean phyllo purses. It only takes 20 min. and is so super easy to make and is a great side dish.

message 37: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I'm very curious about this cookbook! Jayme, I saw one or two of your recipes reviews on cookbooker and they wet my appetite. Good photos make such a difference when I'm looking for cooking inspiration.

message 38: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Dijulio | 160 comments Jayme wrote: "Yup tnat's the one. I posted and then realised Betsy already beat me to recommending The Millenium Cookbook. I imagine their photos are similar quality, which is awewsome! You should take another l..."

I totally agree Jayme that, while the sum of the parts of some of the Millennium recipes may seem a bit overwhelming if you don't have lots of time, the individual components lend themselves to other applications, and some stand alone.

message 39: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Dijulio | 160 comments Lee wrote: "I'm very curious about this cookbook! Jayme, I saw one or two of your recipes reviews on cookbooker and they wet my appetite. Good photos make such a difference when I'm looking for cooking inspi..."

Lee, what's cookbooker? I'm intrigued!

message 40: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Jul 02, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Oh Betsy, don't get me started LOL! It's a site I use to keep track of, rate and review individual recipes within my cookbooks. I started a thread here on the group to introduce it to our members because I find it's a useful and fun tool. Here's the link to the thread.

cookbooker thread

message 41: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Thanks for the suggestion Jayme. I am also curious about this book. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. After buying 3 books with great photos over the last few months, I have enough now, but I'd like to see it. Of course, I might get tempted to buy it.Hmm.

message 42: by Lisa (last edited Jul 02, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jayme, Thanks! I tend not to make recipes from cookbooks, at least not following recipes exactly, and I know people who use both Millennium cookbooks, so while I'm sure you're right, I don't have the patience. I eat there once or twice a year; if that pleasure stops, maybe I'll dive into their books.

message 43: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Dijulio | 160 comments Lee wrote: "Oh Betsy, don't get me started LOL! It's a site I use to keep track of, rate and review individual recipes within my cookbooks. I started a thread here on the group to introduce it to our members..."

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

message 44: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Oh, Lisa, I'm so jealous! Someday I will make it out there to try the restaurant. Until then, I will have to make due with the book.

message 45: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lisa's so lucky she lives in San Francisco where there are so many wonderful vegan restaurants!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jayme wrote: "Oh, Lisa, I'm so jealous! Someday I will make it out there to try the restaurant. Until then, I will have to make due with the book."

Every time I eat there I go into shock. I swear the prices go up each time. 20 years ago it was a reasonably affordable place; now, I'm down to once or twice a year for special occasions. So, making recipes from the cookbook is probably the smart way to go. I desperately want to go to certain cities where vegan restaurants are plentiful and enticing, especially New York City.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Betsy, If you join cookbooker, please let us know your name.

I tried to follow/like the book on facebook, but from your page, the facebook link goes to your personal page and allows only to ask you to be facebook friends; I see no way to fan/follow.

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Jul 02, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "Lisa's so lucky she lives in San Francisco where there are so many wonderful vegan restaurants!"

Just saw this post. Yes, I'm very lucky! This Wednesday I'm having lunch at Gracias Madre, an organic all vegan Mexican place that's out of this world. Fortunate indeed.

ETA: http://www.gracias-madre.com/web/

and their menu:

http://www.gracias-madre.com/web/menu...

message 49: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Dijulio | 160 comments Lisa~
Sounds frustrating: I'm sorry. I'm not sure I completely understand. If what you're saying is that the cookbook doesn't yet have a fan page, you're right! I just have a personal page that I pretty much only use for vegan-related food/fashion/etc. Is that what you meant? Do you think I should create a fan/follow page for the book? You're not the first person to suggest it, so maybe I need to get on it. Please advise. I'm so green!

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Betsy, Sorry but it's Goodreads I'm addicted to. I barely "do" facebook. I think books can have fan pages. When I get sent to your page, it's your personal pages, with family members listed as friends, etc. I hope someone who knows facebook better, or facebook!, can give you some tips.

« previous 1 3