Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Monthly Challenges > March 2011

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) February really does go by fast!! Last month's topic was so depressing and I think this month's will be more fun :)

March 2011: World Folk Tales and Fables Week- Read a book with aspects of folk tales or fables from a different culture than your own.

Happy exploring!

message 2: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (librandian) | 206 comments Completed Tasks: February

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler 3/2/10

Points Earned: 1
Total Points: 1

message 3: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Welcome to the board Brandi!

message 4: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Does anyone have any recommendations for fairy/folk tales from other cultures? I'm not too familiar with this genre.

message 5: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jennifer W wrote: "Does anyone have any recommendations for fairy/folk tales from other cultures? I'm not too familiar with this genre."

*Bound is a Cinderella story from China
*I'm going to read Luka and the Fire of Life which is a fairy tale in India
*Hush: An Irish Princess Tale is what is says it is
*Ice & East & Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow are all based off of a Norwegian fairy tale
*Odd and the Frost Giants is based off of Norse mythology
*Technically, mythology fits under folk tales, so anything with another culture's mythology would work...

Hope this helps :)
Bound by Donna Jo Napoli Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie Hush An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli East by Edith Pattou Ice by Sarah Beth Durst Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read

Beast Beast by Donna Jo Napoli

(re-telling of Beauty and the Beast and the Beast is a Persian Prince)

and

Leprechauns and Irish Folklore A Nonfiction Companion to Leprechaun in Late Winter (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #21) by Mary Pope Osborne Leprechauns and Irish Folklore: A Nonfiction Companion to Leprechaun in Late Winter

Total Points: 63

message 7: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (librandian) | 206 comments Complete tasks: March - World Folk Tales and Fables
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin 3/11/11

Points earned: 2
Total points: 3

message 8: by Kellee (last edited Mar 31, 2011 05:52PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Completed Tasks: March

Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie 3/11/11

Loved Luka's adventure! Cannot wait to to read his brother's.

Points Earned this month: 2
Total Points: 75

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

It's a story about the holocaust mixed in with the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. It incorporates a lot of Polish terms (schloss for castle, ksiezniczka for princess) and makes some interesting correlation.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read Goddess of Yesterday Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney
(Mythology)

Total Points: 64

message 11: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Mar 24, 2011 07:06AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

This is a Christian based book (unbeknownst to me when I got it) that is a loose interpretation of Sleeping Beauty during the medieval period.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) Reckless by Cornelia Funke which features a mirror world filled with actual walking and talking origins of many world fairy and folk tales. So many that I'm not sure of the cultural origins of many of them and wonder if Ms. Funke just dredged some up from the depths of her bottomless imagination. :)

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments Heather wrote: "Reckless by Cornelia Funke which features a mirror world filled with actual walking and talking origins of many world fairy and folk tales. So many that I'm not sure o..."

How did you like it? I read it the day it came out and I thought it was her best yet. LOVED her illustrations, and I thought the book was fabulous! I can't wait for the next one! The Tailor was by far one one the creepiest book characters I've come across...

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I missed February, but I read Skinny by Ibi Kaslik this month, so I will take my point... :)

Total points: 24

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) Karis wrote: "Heather wrote: "Reckless by Cornelia Funke which features a mirror world filled with actual walking and talking origins of many world fairy and folk tales. So many tha..."

I loved it Karis. I agree it was really good, but I'll always have a special place for the Inkheart books. The illustrations were very awesome, I agree. I thought the mirror world sleeping beauty was quite creepy as well.

message 16: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Mar 31, 2011 05:07PM) (new)

I read The Whale Rider. It was similar to the movie (if you've seen that), though one interesting difference was that the book was narrated by her uncle. Otherwise it tells the story of a long line of Maori leaders who decended from the Whale Rider. When Kahu is born, she breaks the line of male descendents, but she and her great grandmother aren't bothered in the least by this. Her great grandfather, however, is, and refuses to see her worth. Also different from the movie is that the book tells the whale's side of the story and how heartbroken he is that he has lost his rider.

2 points

Total: 29 points

message 17: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Sounds heartbreaking Jennifer- was it good?

message 18: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Mar 31, 2011 10:06PM) (new)

It was OK. I like the movie better.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments I read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George, a retelling of an old Norwegian fairy tale with a lot of old Norse elements to it. I LOVED it. Strongly recommend! One of my favorite fairy tales ever.

I also read Shadow Spinner, which is a retelling of the Arabian Nights tale, and is set in (I believe) Ancient Persia, or a very similar country. Also amazing. One I highly recommend.

message 20: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Ashley wrote: "I read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George, a retelling of an old Norwegian fairy tale with a lot of old Norse elements to it. I LOVED it. Strongly recommend! One of my favorite fairy ..."

I loved Sun and Moon- have you read Sarah Beth Durst's version Ice?

Also, welcome to the monthly challenge board!!

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale
Hush An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli

Total Points: 65

message 22: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cathy wrote: "I read Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale
"

How'd you like it?

message 23: by Ashley (last edited Aug 20, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments Thanks Kellee! and, I haven't read SBD's version yet, but I own it. I try to put a lot of space between stories retelling the same fairy tale, so that I don't end up comparing/judging them based on each other, but rather the story itself. So, I'll probably read it in a few months. I have read Edith Pattou's version, East though.

Did you like Ice?

message 24: by Kellee (last edited Apr 01, 2011 01:17PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Ashley wrote: "Thanks Kellee! and, I haven't read SBD's version yet, but I won it. I try to put a lot of space between stories retelling the same fairy tale, so that I don't end up comparing/judging them based on..."

I did like Ice. It takes a different look at the fairy tale and I loved how it and Sun and Moon were different and both so good.

From my review:
I've also read Ice by Sarah Beth Durst which is about the same Norwegian fairy tale. I believe that Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow explains the fairy tale better than Ice, but I they both deserve five stars. They are very much seperate and independent novels, but of course there is overlap. Ice deals more with the romance and love, while Sun and Moon... deals with loyalty and trust.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments Oooh! Now I'm even more excited! I'll have to read it after I've gotten some other books in between. :)

message 26: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments Kellee wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I read Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale
"

How'd you like it?"

I liked it a lot!! I read Beast by her as well, but liked Hush much better.

message 27: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

It's based off of Grimm fairy-tales, which are Germanic.

1 Point earned
22 points total

message 28: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

1 Point earned
27 points total

message 29: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jesi wrote: "The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

1 Point earned
27 points total"

Jesi, unfortunately outside of the month, you can only read 1 book for credit.

message 30: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments Kellee wrote: "Jesi wrote: "The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

1 Point earned
27 points total"

Jesi, unfortunately out..."

Ah. Okay.

message 31: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Jesi wrote: "Kellee wrote: "Jesi wrote: "The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

1 Point earned
27 points total"

Jesi, un..."

Sorry :(

message 32: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments Jesi, un..."

Sorry :(

It's okay - I'd have read them anyway. :)