Start by marking “The Unusual Suspects” as Want to Read:
The Unusual Suspects

The Unusual Suspects

(The Sisters Grimm #2)

Orphaned sisters Sabrina and Daphne are sent to live with their mysterious grandmother. The girls start school, and Daphne is lucky to get Snow White for a teacher, but Sabrina is stuck with mean Mr Grumpner and a class of mildly psychotic sixth graders. When Mr Grumpner is murdered, the sisters must discover which Everafter is responsible.
Published April 1st 2007 by ABRAMS (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Unusual Suspects, please sign up.
Risa Do you mean shouldn't? I think they included one (but don't trust me entirely on that one. I could be very wrong).
But yeah. I stand with you. The ver…more
But yeah. I stand with you. The very last scene was just freaky. I'm guessing that's exactly what the author intended. :)(less)

Start your review of The Unusual Suspects
Matt
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Needing a short filler novel and wanting something lighter, I turned back to Michael Buckley and his Sisters Grimm collection. The stories pull on some of the characters that have emerged in the Grimm fairytales and place two modern sisters in the middle of the narrative, tasked with uncovering various criminal acts. Sabrina and Daphne Grimm have been living with their grandmother for the better part of three weeks. While they have already uncovered a significant crime in Ferryport Landing, they ...more
Jennie
Apr 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Sabrina and Daphne are off to school. Daphne loves being in class with Snow White as a teacher, but Sabrina’s having a tougher time–she keeps getting teased and beat up. Things don’t get any better when Puck joins her class! But even Daphne can’t deny there are monsters loose in the school and they’re killing people. There are red handprints all over. Even Mayor Charming is turning to the Grimm Sisters for help solving the case!

But Sabrina's anger at not being able to find her parents is growin
Nirvana
First of all, can I say how much I love MG books that actually make me laugh. Not just crack a smile, or get giddy in my soul like the Vulcan fangirl I am, but laugh out loud. Which is precisely what Sisters Grimm has managed to do.

And then there's Sabrina Grimm. Yass, I adore her ^^ Sure, she may get annoying at times, and sometimes the way she deals with Everafters makes me want to go "Dude, you go trust them. Please..." and then punch her. But she's got her good side too. She's got a strong m
Maddie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the first one better, as the mystery in this one only really started around 60%, but there was definitely a few more surprises in this one, what with (view spoiler) And I wonder what's going to happen next!! That ending was so good. (view spoiler) I love the twists to ...more
Alison
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
4.5 STARS!
OMG I love this series so much. Even I had a hard time figuring out the mystery! These are full of adventures and antics and all the fairytale characters we love and hate.
This had a great lesson on prejudice and sexism, even though I was right alongside Granny in being mad at Sabrina for half the book. And that ending?! WOW
Excited to get into the next one as things are really starting to pick up in the mystery behind the disappearance of their parents.
Benjamin Thomas
If you should be looking for a fun series to read aloud to some young people in your life, this is a pretty good series. Lots of fairy tale adventure with the characters not exactly like you remember from the originals. Throw in some life lessons for the youngsters and a good time will be had by all.

Having said that, the ending pissed me off...not to mention the 10 and 7 year olds to which I was reading this story. At the height of the action, just when everybody is in peril...I see the dreaded
Tina
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, fantasy fans
Shelves: kid-lit, 2008
I wish they had these books around when I was growing up. They are a fun read with a protagonist that any hormonal tween can relate too. I appreciate that we see faults in Sabrina as she learns some hard truths about herself. Flawed heroes and heroines are always more interesting. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Milou
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is just mindless fun. Sabrina and Daphne Grimm start school, but when Sabrina's teacher is murdered, the sisters and their grandma are asked by the (1 man) policeforce to help find out who did it.

This world is filled with normal people, but also fairy tale characters. Daphne's teacher for example is Ms (Snow) White (who also gives self-defense classes... this is the 21st century, she doesn't need Charming to save her). The pied piper is school head, and Charming is the mayor.

The book
Odessa Mclean
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MsThomas
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ks3years7-9
I read this book on the plane back from the US, and it was terrific! The main character, Sabrina, was feisty and interesting, and the plot was just complex enough to hold my interest. The idea behind this series is that the Brothers Grimm and all the fairytale characters founded a town alongside humans with magical protection so they can live safely (they were chased out of Europe). The Sisters Grimm, modern day relatives of the brothers, live with their grandmother and solve local crimes while ...more
Ava
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! I actually enjoyed this book!!! # 1 was not the best but this one was AMAZING!! Great characters with a twist of magic. I LOVED reading this surprisingly even if I had to read it for school. Great read!!!!
Alex
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These books are still, in my eyes the best children's books out there. I wish they would get more popular because they're brilliantly written, creative and equal parts sweet fairy tale and dark story.

The Unusual Suspects follows Sabrina and Daphne, set a few weeks after the first book, as they try to adapt to their new lives in Fairyport landing and balance going to school with doing research for their parents. A new mystery arises for them to solve when their teacher is suddenly found dead at
✌ Ashley ☠
I love how these are legit little mysteries.
I never would have guessed Rumpelstiltskin was the counselor or that he had anything to do with the murders. Those kids are weird though.
So cute that Daphne helped calm down Mr. Canis, even if it was for just a minute. I hope they bond more.
I don't think I like where the Puck/Sabrina relationship is going. They are fine the way they are. You don't have to add romance into every story.
Joanna (BookandPages)
This is a solid book in the series. I've read this whole series, but oh my gosh I forgot how annoying Sabrina was. Like girl, pull yourself together. Honestly I just can't stand her as a character.
Jackie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun installment to The Sisters Grimm series. Just like the first one this was cute, but things get a little serious as the Scarlet Hand ramps up their evil plot.

One of my issues in the first one was how Sabrina and Daphne were portrayed. There still is some one note-ness in the character development. However, I enjoyed the story more in this one so I was okay with it. It looks like their characters will develop a bit as they age though, so this maybe a slow progression throughout the 9
C.J. Milbrandt
The Grimm sisters must attend school, which leads straight into a new case. Bullies and boiler rooms. Dodge ball and detention. Hotties and harmonicas.

Good stuff!
Mila
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series
This was quite boring, unfortunately, and very middle-grade but in a bad way. I'm not going to continue the series.
Myrah
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think it is a really good book if you like fairytales and mystery, to be honest, I like it. I like this book better than the first though. but maybe I will change my mind about it once I finish reading all the 8 books in the series.
Isabelbair
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my review for, The Unusual Suspect, the second book in the Sisters Grimm series written by Michael Buckley. This was a great book and this is the second time I have read this series, as it is my favorite series of all time and I have not taken any AR tests on it. I recommend this story for anyone who enjoys fairy tales, adventure, and mystery. The story revolves around an eleven year old girl named Sabrina Grimm and her younger sister Daphne Grimm, whose parents have been kidnapped. They ...more
Dolly
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the second book in The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. It's a whimsical romp through the different fairy tales, with myriad characters coming into the story. Puck is completely obnoxious, but is also one of my favorites.

The members of the Grimm family are a diverse mix and I am becoming more vested in them and their story, even if Sabrina seems too whiny. I liked the book and will continue reading the series, especially since our oldest loves the tales.

interesting quote:

"It's a
Arul Prakash
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a the next series of the Grimm Sisters in which the sisters have to work together with their grandma against their will to save a school from mass destruction. Also they have to find the missing children that have disappeared from the school. While doing this they will encounter many fairytale characters like beauty and the beast , the princess and the frog, and rapunzel. They will now have to find out from these following three suspects who is the criminal and what they eventually ...more
Madison T
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-reads
When I originally started the sisters Grimm series, it was because a friend had recommended them to me.
I thought, ok, so I ordered the first four books from my library, and started to read them.
In book one, it took me quite awhile to get into the book, I just wasn't feeling it at all! My friend had said they were amazing! but, nothing really amazed me at first.
When I got to the middle of the book, something clicked, and I couldn't put the book down! I devoured the rest, and grabbed book two, and
Kailyn Ellis
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely loving my redive into this genre, and these books aren't disappointing. If you're looking for a quick and cute middle grade read, this could be the series for you. Can't wait to get to the next book!
Yumiko
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ughh I’m already on book three... WHY? I LITERALLY JUST STARTED THIS SERIES (At least there’s nine books.)
Favorite character: Mr. Canis/Puck
I can’t believe Puck already loves Sabrina omgeeeeeeee AHHHHH
I love these characters so much. When I’m done with book nine I know I’m going to burst into tears. I love each and every one of them.
I also love the humor. Michael Buckley is HILARIOUS. #favoritechildhoodbooks
Sharon Angle-boyer
Great book!

Another wonderful book in The Sister’s Grimm series! I am in love with all the characters and watching different facets of their personalities come out. I relate to each and every one in my own way.

I love the the twists and surprises along the way and there are many in this novel. I am gong to have to start reading book 3 because I hate cliffhangers lol.
Cynthia Egbert
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
How can I not appreciate this series with all of it's fairy tale references and Puck as one of the main characters? I really do enjoy all of the characters and the clever approach to the "real life" situations of major fairy tale characters. This is a fun, light read to bring me a moment of fresh air while I am tackling some more intense reading challenges.
Sethv
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I think you should read it if you like fiction, mythes and spells.
Emma
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holding onto hate and alienating those around you changes you until you don't even recognize yourself.
Sand-Witch
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok that was really really good. Thank you Author.
Tryg
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a complete action-packed mystery that will blow your mind at the end and that you will love this book no matter what genre you like.

• The Return of Abracadabra
  • Frankie Fish and the Sonic Suitcase
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Zoe the Skating Fairy (Sporty Fairies, #3)
  • The Burning Queen
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • The Dragon Princess
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • Secret in the Stone (The Unicorn Quest, #2)
  • The Qwikpick Papers: Poop Fountain!
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • Outlaws (Royal Academy Rebels, #2)
  • Malcolm at Midnight
New York Times bestselling author Michael Buckley was born in Akron, Ohio. He tried his hand as a stand-up comic and lead singer for a punk rock back before attending Ohio University. After graduating with honors he moved to New York City to be an intern on the Late Show with David Letterman which led to stints developing programming for Discovery Networks, MTV, MTV Animation and Klasky Csupo (pro ...more

The Sisters Grimm (9 books)
  • The Fairy-Tale Detectives
  • The Problem Child
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors
  • Tales From the Hood
  • The Everafter War
  • The Inside Story
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)