Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Authors > Jim Butcher

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim Butcher is the author of the urban fantasy series The Dresden Files and the high fantasy series Codex Alera. He's one of my very favorite authors (though I think Mike has me beat in fandom) and I couldn't recommend him highly enough.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have to get to that series...but you know me and my reading list...

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Just the other day I was thinking about that tombstone...He always did the right thing

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments So I just came from a Borders that is closing near my job. FIRE SALE! I think I saw almost every Jim Butcher book ever written (the line was too long for my lunch break).

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments dang-I wish there was a Borders near me...

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments :) I also saw Chronicles of The Black Company and A Hard Day's Knight. I had to put them down and walk slowly & carefully away...

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments errgghh...I feel your pain, sounds very dangerous

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I hid the only copy I could find of Chronicles of the Black Company behind several other Black Company books...(shameful, I know :) I don't know if it will be there when I go back.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Well, I finished all of the Dresden books last night. Aside from Storm Front, I read through the entire series during April! Yep, I'm hooked!

I live in Canada, and have never been to a Borders. But from reading everyone's comments about closing out sales, it makes me a little sad.

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Oh, and a friend is trying to get me to try the RPG with him, (and some other guys I know). RPGs have never tempted me before, but now, I'm seriously thinking about it...

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Laurel have you watched any of the t.v. show yet?

message 12: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments I am reading Grave Peril

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've bought the DVD, but haven't started it yet. Soon!

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm Jealous, Laurel. I've never really played any rpg games, but have always wanted to. There's simply nobody I know who's into them. I thought about doing a search online, as there's a lot of gaming stores in the town I live close to.

message 15: by Rob (last edited Apr 27, 2011 06:20AM) (new)

Rob (zarify) The TV show was what got me into the Dresden books. It's a shame that it was cancelled, but it really didn't hold a candle to the books (as is usual when you get a book -> TV transition I guess).

I dig out the DVDs every now and again to watch it though :)

Didn't know there was an RPG. The world reminds me a lot of the White Wolf mythos that their Vampire/Werewolf/Mage/etc games were based.

The Codex Alera books have been sitting in the queue for a while now :( Will get to them eventually.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

*gives Tracey a big hug*

message 17: by Laurel (last edited Apr 27, 2011 03:14PM) (new)

Laurel Jason,

I think I may try it. I'm a bit nervous because the group has literally been gaming together for 20+ years. But, you only live once, and I would love to spend a little time in the world of Dresden!

Tracey,

I've actually thought about trading my car in for a blue vw! My goodness, I'm a nerd :)

Rob,

I have books 3 thru 6 for Codex Alera, but still have to hunt down 1 and 2. Wish me luck!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

The Codex Alera books just aren't as good as the Dresden stuff.

They're ok, but I don't see myself revisiting them often.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) To me Codex ALera was too cliche for me to even like it. I tried to read book 1 and stopped.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I gave most of them 3's. The last one and the second one got a 4.

They're decent fun and rather quick reads, just not something I see myself going back to.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

They do improve but not much. I'd basically agree with Ala's assessment minus the last book getting a 4. I thought it was a 3 as well. Didn't particularly care for the ending

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a 4, damnit.

Don't make me kick my own ass.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooh, flexible :)

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Tracey wrote: "*makes popcorn*"

Share?

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments I am not sure whether to be intrigued or repulsed right now....lol

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Maggie wrote: "I am not sure whether to be intrigued or repulsed right now....lol"

oh, both certainly! ;-)

message 27: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I am not sure whether to be intrigued or repulsed right now....lol"

oh, both certainly! ;-)"

Youa re probably right---brings some cupcakes to the bystander party

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing to see here, move along! Move along!

I'm just afraid that in a fight with myself, I'd lose.

message 29: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments I want to go to Burger King :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I could go for a Whopper right now...

message 31: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've been thinking of that for days!

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I want to bbq...hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken...oh! & corn on the cob!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Ewww...fast food. Only thing I'll get from a fast food chain is drinks from Sonic and ice cream from Baskin Robins

message 34: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments Hmmm ok how bout a nice ale at Mac's?

message 35: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I know it was bad for me. But eating a Whopper as an admittedly newer model VW drove by, well, it felt kinda cool!

I realize you all warned me that if I read the Dresden books to quickly, I'd have withdrawal until the new one is released in July, (or some places say August). I just have trouble moderating myself when it comes to a good book. I've been known to finish a book and realize that I've not only missed meals, but the sun setting as well! I'll pull all nighters, go into book stores a day before a book release to see if it's on shelves early. Heck, I spend more time vacation packing choosing the right book versus the proper clothing! As addictions go, it's one I am more than happy to live with!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds far more enticing, Leighann :) I'll even spring for a steak sandwich ;)

Laurel, I'm right there with you. At least once a week, I stay up all night long reading. I'd be embarrassed to share all the things I've done or missed because I was caught up in a novel :)

message 37: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments ooooh steak sandwhich and good ale...and me still stuck at work :(

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

mmmm....philly cheesesteak...

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally grilling ribeyes with my best bud tonight. I'll think about yall while I'm dining ;)

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "Totally grilling ribeyes with my best bud tonight. I'll think about yall while I'm dining ;)"

We're supposed to go to a baseball game tonight...

...but it's getting cold and I want to read, so...

...damn that's a waste of money!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Saw this yesterday and thought some of you might enjoy it.

Jim answered some questions over here. Some interesting info there that I hadn't known beforehand.

Spoilers for those who aren't as far as Ghost Stories yet, so be warned.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

20ish books with an apocalyptic trilogy to cap things off? Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness :) Thanks for the link, self

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, that made me happy too. Another 20 or so Dresden plus an epic trilogy to cap the entire series? I'm sold.

message 44: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Yup, that's been his plan from the beginning. 20 case books and a trilogy on top to cap it off. Of course, I wouldn't mind if this "ish" was on the north end of 20 rather than the south end.

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Ala wrote: "Saw this yesterday and thought some of you might enjoy it.

Jim answered some questions over here. Some interesting info there that I hadn't known beforehand.

Spoilers for those who aren't as far ..."

I found this out last year during Q&A for one of stops for the Changes tour. I just posted this week in the Dresden Files tread.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin wrote: "I found this out last year during Q&A for one of stops for the Changes tour."

That's cool.

Kevin wrote: "I just posted this week in the Dresden Files tread. "

Uh. k?

message 47: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments that was cool, Ala. Thanks!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I just downloaded the first 10 or so Dresden Files books onto my kindle. I'll start reading them after I get through with The Warded Man.
I really can't wait to read them, especially after reading all of the great reviews on GR.
In everyone's opinion, is the Codex Alera series just as good as the Dresden Files?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I think the CA books are just a bit less than the DF books.

But ymmv

message 50: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments I'm 5 books into Codex Alera, and I've enjoyed it. The first book is a little bland, cause it's following a kid who lives on the outskirts of the realm and has no Fury-crafting (magic) ability. Because of that, he doesn't really get involved in anything interesting until about the last 3rd of the book. However, from the second book on, he's heavily involved in the politics, scheming, and warring that goes on in the realm.

So if you pick it up, at least make it through the second book.

« previous 1 3