Start by marking “Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)” as Want to Read:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)

Princeps' Fury

(Codex Alera #5)

From the New York Times bestselling author of Captain's Fury and the Dresden Files novels.

Tavi of Calderon, now recognized as Princeps Gaius Octavian and heir to the crown, has achieved a fragile alliance with Alera's oldest foes, the savage Canim. But when Tavi and his legions guide the Canim safely to their lands, his worst fears are realized.

The dreaded Vord - the ene
Published November 25th 2008 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Princeps' Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princeps' Fury

Anne
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it

I liked this one quite a bit more than the last book, Captain's Fury, because there just wasn't quite as much plodding around in forests and swamps while the action happened elsewhere.

description

The majority of the story is about Tavi & Co. taking their frenemy Varg and his troops back to the Canim continent, and trying to help them take on the Vord. I don't want to give anything away -unlike these fucking book titles - but Tavi continues to do all the things that made me originally love him.
Evgeny
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Do not even try to read the blurb for this book as its first sentence gives a spoiler of the size of a blue whale (I mean the bigger specimens of that sea mammal):
Blue whale size
Fortunately here I am, describing the plot while trying to minimize the spoilers.

The other title for the book which works even better would be Tavi Come Home.
Yes, I am thinking about this movie:
Lassie Come Home
The big bad enemy of Alera is back and it got bigger and badder this time.
Big Bad Wolf
Believe it or not, the image is highly appropriate.

Usually Tavi s
Stephen
Sadly, this is a classic example of a star crossed reader/book relationship. Photobucket

I am only giving this 3.0 stars and yet I have almost nothing but positive comments to make about the novel. This is a well-written, terrific story with a nice balance between detail and pacing and with characters drawn and developed with enough weight that you can really care about them. The problem is simply that traditional high, epic fantasy and I have lately just not been clicking. It's all become a big, confusing
Tami
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puh. 3,5-4 Sterne!! Die Geschichte bewegt sich auf ihr großes Finale zu, es ging sehr brutal und düster daher, teilweise auch recht zäh mit vielen Kriegsbeschreibungen... dank des Hörbuchs hab ich trotzdem nur einen Tag dafür gebraucht 😝 Außerdem HASSE ich Parasiten und wer die Bücher kennt, kann verstehen, wieso es mich durchgehend gejuckt hat 🤢🤢🤢😷
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Wowowowow. Gimme the last one, like now!! <- that is my official review for this book. ;P
Sir Anni
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars, my favourit Codex Alera book so far :)
Scott  Hitchcock
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: butcher
5 down and 1 to go. This series has definitely been very good since the first two books which were mediocre. Everything is setup for an epic ending. Some of the visuals in this book in particular I would love to see on the big screen. Those battles if done right would be epic and with today's CGI completely possible.
Kathleen
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
In a fantastical setting, this plot involves a desperate and clever escape from hoards of merciless invaders. I enjoyed it, even though the plot didn't seem to require a whole book. But Butcher certainly created a sense of emergency. Apocalypse. Some sweet scenes (breakfast on the ship), some poignant scenes (reunion) and some surprising scenes (no telling).

I like the Canum wolf-people, including Varg and his son Nasaug. We also meet the Icemen, but...huh...they didn't add much to the book. Mayb
Jeffrey
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: butcher fans of the codex alera.
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
Jim
Again, no bloody map in the book! The only maps are in the 3d & 6th books. I paid over $10 each for these paperbacks, so you'd think they could spring for a damn map. There's a good selection here:
They're supposed to be for your computer wall paper, but print out in monochrome well.

contains a lot of maps of specific areas. I didn't find it all that useful & there are maps throughout the series, so it contains
Lindsey Rey
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy
My least favorite book in the series so far. Hoping the final book is better!
Jenna Kathleen
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
There have been ups and downs throughout this series. There were moments when I was emotionally hurting because of what has happened to the characters, moments I suddenly perked up and my eyes enlarged in anticipation, moments when I felt complete satisfaction for a story coming to a close and moments I was thankful I had the next book because the one I had just read ended on such a perfect cliffhanger. This book had almost none of these moments.

After 5 books, I am pretty attached to some of the
Kate Coombs
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My five stars are for the entire series, but I'm too busy (lazy!) to write a review for each book. I had faithfully read all of the Dresden Files books, but was less interested in the Alera series. Then I picked up the first one, and pretty soon I was madly reading the other four, completely engrossed. When I read something this compelling, I'm reminded why I'm a Reader!

When we first meet our hero, Tavi, he lives on a steadholt in the outer reaches of Alera with his uncle Bernard and his aunt Is
Katerina
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
"All things pass in time.
We are far less significant than we imagine ourselves to be. All that we are, all that we have wrought, is but a shadow, no matter how durable it may seem. One day, when the last man has breathed his last breath, the sun will shine, the mountains will stand, the rain will fall, the streams
will whisper—and they will not miss him."

You may be right Gaius Sextus,but until that day,the ones who matter will remember.People will remember a great man.He can achieve immortality
Donna
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the 5th book in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. They have between 4 and 5 stars for me. I have enjoyed this. It is creative and it has characters that I love.

This book wasn't my favorite in the series, but still 4 star worthy for me. There is usually so much action in his books, but this one felt a little slow to start. Once it got started though, I was completely sucked in. I have the next one in this series, and I am hoping to get to it this week.
Tom
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 AGAIN! BTW I plagiarized my review below from a message I sent a friend as a rec...haha

Every book gets better and after every book I said how is it going to get better than this?!?! And it does! The first book I could see being a 4 star but I loved it and was in the mood for a world building adventure and wasn't really on the fence with my rating of 5 at the time. I question it now when compared to the rest of the books though. The next was a no doubt about it and every book got better till 5
M.F. Soriano
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
An epic fantasy series that's getting too epic for it's own good. A lot of the fun in the first novels came from big personalities colliding, and from the sense of skill and resourcefulness shown by the protagonists during those collisions. The best parts in this book follow similar parameters, but the series' need to continue raising the stakes has forced most of the rest of the plot into bloated battles featuring hundreds of thousands of combatants. There isn't much room, anymore, for the clev ...more
Tosh
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A very hesitant 3 stars.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this 5th installment as much as previous books. I slogged through the last 150 pages or so. I just wanted it over. Maybe I need a break, or maybe it just wasn't that good. I think I’ll take a break before completing the series.
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files , and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows the
Timothy Boyd
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series is building toward a final awesome final book. Fantastic read with excellent characters and plot. The storyline moves the characters along perfectly and grows with them. If you have enjoyed a Jim Butcher book then you have been missing out of some fantastic writing. My Highest recommendation
The best yet of the series. Of course it wouldn't have been quite as enjoyable had the previous installments not been so well developed, interesting, and engaging. This book was action-packed, exciting, and well paced. I'm almost sorry that there's only one book left.
KostasAt
8.5/10

With the series approaching closer and closer to its end, and the much-anticipated culmination of the story and the characters, Jim Butcher brings us in the Princeps' Fury, the fifth installment, into the greatest threat that has ever appeared in the Realm of Alera, into a story of seafarers and Warmasters, diplomats, primitive northerners, and chitinous monsters, and into an adventure of subjugation and annihilation, acceptance and compromise, and faith and fealty, that will judge the fat
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First let me say I'm a Jim Butcher fan. There are a few things here that keep me from going 5 stars on this book, but then in some ways this series suffers in that it will inevitably be compared to JB's other series about Harry Dresden. While these books are good, they just don't meet that mark.

I feel I need to be somewhat apologetic in saying that as I know the series means a lot to Mr. Butcher and he really wanted to write it. Don't get me wrong, Codex Alera is a great read.

This book picks up
Sheyla ✎

“hardly a man ever made a fool of himself by keeping his bloody mouth shut.”

I LOVE THIS SERIES!

I can't believe there is only one book left after this one. What am I going to do? I will need to re-listen to all the audios. That's for sure.

I don't understand why this series is not in the movie theaters. It has great characters, amazing fight scenes, plenty of humor and romance. What's not to like?

Let me discuss the plot just a bit...

Tavi, now Princeps Gaius Octavian, has embarked with a float
Rob
Executive Summary: Princep’s fury was more enjoyable than I remember. Like it’s predecessors, it’s a blend of war, politics, romance, humor and magic that makes for a fun read.

Audio book: Kate Reading once again does gives an enjoyable reading. I’m pretty much repeating what I’ve said for the last 4 books. She’s becoming one of my favorite readers now.

Full Review
My recollection was this book was a step down after Captain's Fury. However I find myself changing my mind on this reread. Unlike tha
Susanne
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone
Shelves: sff
Butcher delivers once again. I bit many a nail waiting for this book, and then many more while reading it. Extensive action and battle sequences in this one, executed fantastically. What I love most about the Codex Alera, however, are the characters. Starting this book was like a family reunion, and sure enough, everyone's there. Tavi, Kitai, Max, Crassus, Magnus and Fidelias are travelling with the Canim to their home world. Amara, Bernard and everyone else is soon locked in deadly battle with ...more
Algernon
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
By this fifth volume all I'm interested in is to finish this series and get it over with.
It's not that it's a badly written story, or that the characters are unlikable, it's just that the plot is so ridiculously apocalyptic, the dialogue bombastically heroic and the good guys always face ridiculous odds and almost always come up to fight another day. The one exception is easy to guess if you check the title of the next book.
This fifth volume maintains the tone and the pace set in the previous bo
Kj Lyman
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Man this series is really fun. Another great entry, with great twists and turns. The vord are such a confusing foe tho, lets hope in the final book things get resolved more clearly.
Frau von Bödefeld
Bei all dem Kriegstreiben hatte ich Mühe, die ganzen kleinen, aber wichtigen, Informationen nicht untergehen zu lassen. Vermutlich empfinde ich diesen Teil daher auch als den bisher schwächsten der ganzen Reihe. Ich verstehe aber auch, dass all die Schlachten vermutlich nötig sind um die Geschichte dann im nächsten Teil abzuschließen. Und ich hoffe doch sehr, dass der letzte Satz näher erklärt wird...
Steven Naylor
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.0

Still very good and things are progressing. Everyone is now aware that Tavi is Octavian and he is the Princeps of Alera. He is escorting the Canin back to their home. The Vord play a large role in this story, not only in Alera but back where the Canin come from. My only complaint, which is typical for a Jim Butcher book, is that the odds are insanely/laughably/overwhelmingly against the Alerans. It is not enough for Jim Butcher to just make something difficult. He has to make the odds
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • Wings of Wrath (The Magister Trilogy, #2)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
  • Athyra (Vlad Taltos, #6)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
“Knowledge is your weapon...Kill them with it.” 39 likes
“Isana stared at Gaius for a moment. Then she said, "How can you live with yourself?"

The First Lord stared at her for a moment, his eyes cold. Then he spoke in a very quiet, precise, measured voice. "I look out my window each day. I look out my window at people who live and breathe. At people who have not been devoured by civil war. At people who have not been ravaged by disease. At people who have not starved to death, who have not been hacked apart by enemies of humanity, at people who are free to lie and steal and plot and complain and accuse and behave in all manner of repugnant ways because the Realm stands. Because law and order stands. Because something other than simple violence shapes the course of their lives. And I look, wife of my son, mother of my heir, at a very few decent people who have had the luxury of living their lives without being called upon to make hideous decisions I would not wish upon my worst enemies, and who consequently find such matters morally appalling when they consider them--because they have not had to be the ones who dealt with them." He took a short, hard swallow of wine. "Feh. Aquitaine thinks me his enemy. The fool. If I truly hated him, I'd give him the Crown.”
26 likes