THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Is it possible to control which book appears when I go to my home page?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.J. (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

T.J. Forrester | 5 comments For the last couple of months my debut novel Miracles, Inc. appeared as "your book" when I went to my home page. Last week, Miracles, Inc. vanished and now "your book" is Rebellion, an anthology I published in years ago. Does anyone know why Rebellion took the place of Miracles, Inc.? Is it possible to reverse this change?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Not sure what criteria we use to choose that book, but we'll investigate this and get back to you soon.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) I looked into the matter and it looks like Miracles, Inc should be "your book". Is that still the case? I'm not yet sure what caused the change.

message 4: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Forrester | 5 comments Thanks, Daniel and Michael. Yes, Miracles, Inc. is now "your book". It reappeared within an hour of my posting this thread. I figured someone on your end made the change. However, I'm not sure the change was made site wide. I just looked at a member who selected me as one of her favorite authors and Rebellion is shown as my book. Or perhaps this is a case of the data on her page not being updated since Miracles, Inc. reappeared as "your book". (I do appreciate your input.)

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) The way we determine which book shows up on your fan's page is different than the way we determine which one shows up in "your book".

This is not the best way we could do it. We're now thinking about letting authors choose which book shows up, but it'll take us some time to figure it out and get it working.

Thanks for the feedback.

message 6: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Forrester | 5 comments Daniel, please also consider allowing the author to choose which book shows up when fanned. The member who fanned me read and reviewed Miracles, Inc., yet Rebellion is the book of note. She doesn't even have Rebellion on her read list.

message 7: by Brannon (new)

Brannon Hollingsworth (brannon_hollingsworth) | 10 comments Again, related question. My latest novel, H2O the Novel, was co-authored. While it IS listed on my profile, it does not appear as my book on my profile. If that could happen, it would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments The book as you say is listed on your author profile, since you are the secondary named author it will not appear inn the edit pages of your profile. Otherwise i am not sure what you are expecting.

Policy is to list authors as per cover.

message 9: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Brannon, when you say profile, perhaps you mean author dashboard? It will only show up on the dashboard of the primary author, I believe. Making it show up on secondary authors' dashboards is something I know has been discussed, but is apparently pretty difficult, because of how we handle authors in the database.

message 10: by Brannon (new)

Brannon Hollingsworth (brannon_hollingsworth) | 10 comments Paula wrote: "The book as you say is listed on your author profile, since you are the secondary named author it will not appear inn the edit pages of your profile. Otherwise i am not sure what you are expecting..."

Gotcha, thanks, Paula. :D

message 11: by Brannon (new)

Brannon Hollingsworth (brannon_hollingsworth) | 10 comments rivka wrote: "Brannon, when you say profile, perhaps you mean author dashboard? It will only show up on the dashboard of the primary author, I believe. Making it show up on secondary authors' dashboards is somet..."

In retrospect, I was meaning my dashboard, yes. Thanks for the clarification. :)

message 12: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 4 comments A related question:
The book that shows on my Home page, under the tab "Author Dashboard" is an ebook that is no longer available. I hope that can be changed (perhaps to the book that came out this month?).

message 13: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Books show up on the dashboard in order of popularity (how many times they have been rated/reviewed/shelved). As newer books get noticed, they move up the list.

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Kae wrote: "A related question:
The book that shows on my Home page, under the tab "Author Dashboard" is an ebook that is no longer available. I hope that can be changed (perhaps to the book that came out this..."

Keep in mind that the only person who sees that is you. Nobody else sees your Author Dashboard or the book on your homepage.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an ongoing question for me and kinda related to this thread Any help much appreciated.
I went Indi recently and withdrew all my novels previously published for eBooks.
The new re-edited books are now coming out for Kindle and on Createspace with new ISBN and Amazon ASIN.
My authors page does not allow me to remove the now extinct old ones. So duplication and confusion will arise as I put up the new titles. I understand why out of print deadwood books must remain but surely eBooks are a different kindle of fish?
Once pulled they are gone. No longer accessible.
I've tried contact direct but seem not to be getting any action.
Any ideas anyone?
Help much appreciated.
Regards, davidrory

message 16: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 30 comments David wrote: "I understand why out of print deadwood books must remain but surely eBooks are a different kindle of fish?
Once pulled they are gone. No longer accessible."

No, Goodreads isn't a bookstore, it's more like a library. People want to keep records of books they read, whether they're currently available, or not. The only books that are removed are ones that were never actually published.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all, this has now been resolved for me. My old titles have been removed. Thanks go to Jo.
Regards, davidrory.

message 18: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 4 comments Patrick wrote: "Kae wrote: "A related question:
The book that shows on my Home page, under the tab "Author Dashboard" is an ebook that is no longer available. I hope that can be changed (perhaps to the book that c..."

Thanks, Patrick. I had forgotten that.