The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.1. Coralie's Task: In my Backyard

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
25.1. Coralie's Task: In my Backyard

In the Fall 2010 challenge, Sheila asked us to look at things on the exterior of a house. The building I live in has some unusual external attachments. Here is a list of things I find outside my back door. Except for the first (which is hanging outside my window), I can access all these without going down to street level or crossing a street.

a. An anchor
b. A bank
c. A building site
d. A food court, restaurants, bars, cafes etc
e. A football stadium
f. A gymnasium
g. A needle and thread
h. A television screen
i. A television studio

Choose 2 of the above features and read one book for each (two books in total) as follows.

a. Read a book which is set, at least in part, on a ship or boat.
b. Read a book where a main character works in the finance industry.
c. Read a book where a character is a builder, or in which someone is having some building work done.
d. Read a book where a main character works in the food preparation industry.
e. Read a book with a main character who is a professional sportsperson.
f. Read a book where a main character is trying to improve their health.
g. Read a book featuring sewing of some sort.
h. Read a book based on a television show or one on which a television show is based.
i. Read a book where a main character works in the film or television industry.

When you post, you must indicate which features you chose and, unless it's obvious from the title, give a brief explanation of how your books fit the task.

message 3: by Coralie (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:07PM) (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments not approved for g.
knitting, weaving, crochet or tatting

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments For option h, I was wondering if I could use the 6th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood TV series), even though so far the TV show only covered the first couple of books.

Also, are we allowed to use non-fiction books for the rest of the categories or do they have to be novels?

message 6: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments I'm really lost on suggestions for some of these, so if anyone has any ideas, it's much appreciated :)

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments I just finished Uprising which is about the Shirtwaist Factory fire in NYC so it fits sewing. Another historical fiction about the same event is Threads and Flames and I plan to read this one for this challenge. Both of these are YA.

message 8: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Regarding option b., does "finance industry" also cover financial journalism? I was thinking of Confessions of a Shopaholic, where the main character is a financial journalist.

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17487 comments Mod
Karen GHHS wrote: "I just finished Uprising which is about the Shirtwaist Factory fire in NYC so it fits sewing. Another historical fiction about the same event is Threads and Flames and ..."

An adult book on the same topic Triangle: A Novel

And this list might help for option g.- but be careful with GR lists- not everything on the list might fit this task
Garment and Textile

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Feb 24, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Could I use The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game for part E?
AND
Could I use Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family show) for part H?

If one of those don't work, would knitting work for part G?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

message 12: by Lahni (last edited Feb 24, 2011 09:29AM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments G: Sewing:
Does "sewing of some sort" include hand work? May period books have the women sitting doing hand work like Little Women and probably Jane Austen books, etc. I was also thinking along the lines of quilters, quilting bees, Amish themed or frontier themed books.

A. Boats:
Graceling The main character does travel by boat at one point.
Captain's Duty, A: Somali Pirates, Navy Seals, and Five Dangerous Days I may use this one
Shanghai Girls they come to the USA by boat
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
The Rebellion of Jane Clarke She travels by boat at one point.
I think its Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince where Harry and Dumbledore take a boat over to an island.
Frankenstein

D: Food industry - does farming count??
The School of Essential Ingredients I loved this book. She owns a restaurant.
Miss You Most of All if farming counts. They sell food at farmers markets and sell CSA memberships

message 14: by Erin (NY) (new)

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments For h would Heat Wave work? It's from the tv show Castle and if you aren't familiar with the show, Richard Castle is a famous author who helps the police solve crimes and he wrote the book heat wave on the tv show. Then the actual book came out and they list Richard Castle as the author (played by Nathan Fillion). So the book is a HUGE part of the tv show, but what written after the show came out. Please?

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments I have just woken up and in between watching the balloons float over the city I will try to answer your questions.

Erin - Yes, if the series is connected then any book in the series would work.
Non-fiction is fine for any of the tasks.
Yes to Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.

Isabell - Yes, I will allow financial journalism.

Meghan - Both those books would work.

Lahni - I would definitely include hand work in the sewing. However I would not include knitting unless it is a book about sewing up your garments. (One of my pet peeves is knitters who will do anything to avoid sewing up rather than learn how to do it properly.)

I would not include farming as food industry (I will change the wording to be food preparation industry) however I will allow Miss You Most of All as a Bed and Breakfast would include some food preparation.

Amanda - Yes to Heat Wave

I'm off back to bed. Will check in again after a couple of cups of coffee.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments for b - i'm thinking the next in the JD Robb series - Rourke the mc is a super rich businessman who spends most of his time buying/selling companies and making money - does that work?

for e - See Jane Score - they are all based on an ice hockey team in seattle

message 18: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Wondering if these would work-

For h. Love My Way - it's a fictional story about a reality TV show, not based on a real show but the book is about a tv show.

For i. The Kitchen Witch (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #1) - hero is a TV station owner

For e. The Aristocrat - pro football player

For b. Manhunt - heroine is a NY stockbroker

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17487 comments Mod
Coralie said: (One of my pet peeves is knitters who will do anything to avoid sewing up rather than learn how to do it properly.)

Ha! You must mean me- with the drawer full of complete, but unassembled baby sweater parts for my kids (18 and 21 this week) I love to knit, but hate to piece them. Now I only make pullover sweaters on circular needles- no sewing!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments for option d would a main character who works at a bakery count?

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Dlmrose - if you save knitting long enough it becomes useful again. I have several baby sweaters in similar stages that I justify by saying I will finish them for my grandchildren. My daughter is only 15 months old but that is how I make it okay in my head.

message 22: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Beth F. wrote: "Dlmrose - if you save knitting long enough it becomes useful again. I have several baby sweaters in similar stages that I justify by saying I will finish them for my grandchildren. My daughter is ..."

LOL!!!

message 23: by Coralie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:57PM) (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Fran wrote: "Wondering if these would work-

For h. Love My Way - it's a fictional story about a reality TV show, not based on a real show but the book is about a tv show.

I am going to say no to this one. It needs to be a real TV show.

Yes to all your others.

message 24: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for b - i'm thinking the next in the JD Robb series - Rourke the mc is a super rich businessman who spends most of his time buying/selling companies and making money - does that work?

No, I don't count this as working in the financial industry. I will accept stockbroker but not corporate tycoon.

See Jane Score is fine.

message 25: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Coralie wrote: "Fran wrote: "Wondering if these would work-

I am goin..."

Thanks Coralie!

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Option D for Mystery lovers
Diane Mott Davidson - Goldy Schultz is a caterer
Joanne Fluke - Hannah Swenson is a baker/cookie shop owner
Julie Hyzy - Ollie Para is a chef in The White House

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments yes! I was going to read a Hannah Swensen book

message 28: by Riona (last edited Feb 24, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Riona (rionafaith) If we use the sewing option, will you accept books about a particular designer (such as Beene by Beene) OR costume design (such as Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars) OR about the fashion design industry (such as Fashion Entrepreneur)? I'm babysitting a fellow designer's library while she's abroad, so it'd be nice to get around to reading some of them!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments How do you babysit someone's library?

message 30: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Riona wrote: "If we use the sewing option, will you accept books about a particular designer (such as Beene by Beene) OR costume design (such as [book:Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars|6..."

I'm sorry but I am going to say no to this one. I feel that the design industry is separate from the needle and thread side of things.

message 31: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How do you babysit someone's library?"

She dropped boxes of books off at my house. A lot of books.

Coralie wrote: "Riona wrote: "If we use the sewing option, will you accept books about a particular designer (such as Beene by Beene) OR costume design (such as [book:Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes ..."

Fair enough! I'll find something more suited. I might possibly read a sewing technique book.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments does Hot in Here work for d - it features a TV chef

message 33: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments Would you accept quilting for sewing? I was thinking of the Elm Creek Quilters series by Jennifer Chiaverini.

message 34: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments I would allow a TV chef for either d or i.

Yes quilting is definitely sewing.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments For part E would Drop Shot work? The main character of the series is a sports agent, however his client/the murder suspect is a tennis player in this particular book.

message 36: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Michelle wrote: "For part E would Drop Shot work? The main character of the series is a sports agent, however his client/the murder suspect is a tennis player in this particular book."

Yes, that works.

message 37: by Aleksandra (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would you accept
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel or
Good Grief by Lolly Winston for D?
and

Harper's Moonby Suzanne Judson for G?

message 38: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept
and

Harper's Moonby Suzanne Judson for G?"

Harper's Moon sounds fine for G but I am going to say no to Like Water for Chocolate because, although she spends the whole book cooking, she never actually works in the industry.
I will need to do some more research on Good Grief and will let you know.

message 39: by Aleksandra (last edited Feb 25, 2011 02:28PM) (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Coralie wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept
and

Harper's Moonby Suzanne Judson fo..."

:) I will wait

Links where I found books (not all work for this task but few for sure)
D
http://crispycook.blogspot.com/2008/0...
G
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/qui...

message 40: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments I'm looking at The Penultimate Chance Saloon for "i. Read a book where a main character works in the film or television industry. " It's told first person; and the English narrator is "a mildly famous television newsreader who'd managed to hold on to (most of) his looks". OK? Thanks!

message 41: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Deedee wrote: "I'm looking at The Penultimate Chance Saloon for "i. Read a book where a main character works in the film or television industry. " It's told first person; and the English narrator i..."

Yes, that works.

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments I'm thinking of doing the following:

A - Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

G - Knit Two by Kate Jacobs

message 43: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments a great book for A is In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. fascinating and very well written! :)

message 44: by Hettie (new)

Hettie | 131 comments Hi

Would Life From Scratchwork for d? The main character is learning to cook and blogging about it. Does that count?

Also would What I Talk About When I Talk About Runningfit for e?

If not I will go back to rummaging through my books. Thanks

message 45: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Does Moving Pictures work for I?

message 46: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm thinking of doing the following:

G - Knit Two by Kate Jacobs"

Patricia, Sea of Poppies sounds great, but I don't recall any sewing in Knit Two.

message 47: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Hettie wrote: "Hi

Would Life From Scratchwork for d? The main character is learning to cook and blogging about it. Does that count?

Also would [book:What I Talk About When I Talk About Running|3..."

Sorry Hetty,

I don't think either of them quite fit.

message 48: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Gayla wrote: "Does Moving Pictures work for I?"

Yes, I think this one works.

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments Coralie wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I'm thinking of doing the following:

G - Knit Two by Kate Jacobs"

Patricia, Sea of Poppies sound..."

Wouldn't knitting count as a form of sewing???

message 50: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Just to clarify, sewing is something done to fabric, usually using a needle and thread. Knitting, weaving, crochet and tatting are ways of creating the fabric.

« previous 1 3