Start by marking “Manhunt” as Want to Read:

Manhunt

A woman with a talent for numbers, Alexandra Scott wanted to escape the rat race and go someplace where the men outnumber the women. Trading in her Wall Street job and fancy condo for a rundown cabin in the woods. She's now Alaskan Wilderness Woman. It isn't long before she finds exactly what she's looking for#58; one sexy pilot named Michael Casey. But this confirmed bach ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 219 pages
Published November 29th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published December 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Manhunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhunt

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaWallbanger by Alice ClaytonBet Me by Jennifer CrusieMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
2,917 books — 6,498 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Chick Lit for the Beach
1,241 books — 1,770 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheri
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I went into this knowing it was an older book of hers. I like her older books for a quick and funny read once in awhile. This one was light, funny, romantic and whimsical. Just what I was in the mood for.
Marianne
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Manhunt is a stand-alone pre-Plum romance novel by popular American author, Janet Evanovich. Alexandra Scott had swapped her fancy Princeton condo and her life as a corporate high flier for a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness and a run-down hardware store. She was headed there in her candy-apple red BMW sports car with her grandfather’s Rottweiler, Bruno. There were plenty of single men in Alaska and Alex wanted a husband.

The swap was, undoubtedly, less that equitable: the cabin was run-down and
BarbaraW
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet quick read about a city girl who tries to put down roots in Alaska. Anything can happen.....
Jimmyjane
Jan 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Jimmyjane by: Satan, I believe.
Shelves: cotton-candy
This was a 200 page lobotomy.

I hate to be such a hater, but it literally made my head hurt, it was that ridiculously banal and trite. I am a huge sucker for the formulaic romance and enjoy the old over-the-top fun romp, but there has to be some emotional investment in the characters for me to give a damn, and this made no effort to provide anything resembling depth. In fact, this little book seemingly reveled in sloshing through the shallowest end of the intelligence pool.

The dialogue and inner
Julie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny, dippy little love story.....not exactly serious literature, but it was entertaining
K.
2.5 stars.

Look, usually these Janet Evanovich romance novels make me super ragey and I end up throwing them across the room because they're squicky and misogynistic. In contrast, this one was totally cheesy and totally predictable but actually not that terrible in comparison??

Essentially, a 29 year old woman is sick of her corporate life, and somehow ends up deciding to do a swap with some old guy she barely knows. He gets her $400,000 New Jersey condo, she gets his Alaskan cabin and hardware s
Nancy H
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, quirky read that will keep you laughing as you turn the pages. The main character knows what she wants and goes after it, even into the wilds of Alaska.
Jen
4.5 stars - great!

I really enjoy this book. Of all of Janet Evanovich's early romantic comedies, this one is probably my favorite. Why, you ask? It's because it's set in Alaska. I really love stories set in Alaska. Alaska is a place I've visited once (twice if you count the layover I had at the airport in Anchorage, but that visit doesn't really count) and dream of living in one day. I have just got to experience one of their long and cold winters. :-)

I also enjoy this book because Alexandra '
Linda
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
OK, I'm not much of a romance novel fan, but I have to read the ones by Janet Evanovich just because I read ANYTHING by Janet Evanovich, one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, her earlier novels don't show the same wit that she subsequently developed when writing the Stephanie Plum series. That's okay though because sometimes you just need to eat Pop Tarts, know what I mean? This book has the same plot that every romance novel seems to have: incredible attraction between two hot and sexy pro ...more
Rosemary Daly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Another delightful read by one of my favorite authors. It you are looking for a fun, uplifting, romance, Janet Evanovich is a great source of novels for you!
Katelyn
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Junk food in book form. So cliched and stilted in some instances that it made me laugh out loud- although I'm sure the humor wasn't intented.
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute story! Makes me want to visit Alaska.
Shannon
Manhunt

I Picked Up This Book Because: I’m actually shocked I haven’t already read this. I adore these early books from Ms Evanovich

The Characters:

Alexandra “Alex” Scott:
Michael Casey: Goes by Casey
Bruno (Rottweiler)< Harry, Andy

The Story:

Alex is tired of her life and gives it all up to live in the Alaskan wilderness. Part of her new life includes the hunt for a husband, which should be easy, right? Men outnumber women by quite a lot in Alaska. After trading her Jersey condo for
Minx
I read this book for a reading challenge. It was a quick read filled with insta-love and ridiculous choices being made. lol It was humorous at times and entertaining. For anyone interested in making a go at living in Alaska this would be a good read for you.
Lizy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very typical brain-check-out book. Super cheesy. Fast read. Exactly what I expected.

The sex is overly skipped over tho, head's up. Like every time they did the do I had to reread the paragraph like "Wait what?"

Other than that, yeah, it's Janet Evanovich.
Athena
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. A lot of fluff, not much substance.
Lawona
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast easy read. I have thought of just picking up and leaving. I loved how she stuck in their and got him to pop the question.
Nina Derr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a cute and funny book but I think it would have been a better book if it was longer. The two main characters were put into some pretty funny situations but I would have enjoyed it more if there was more detail behind them.
Anna's Herding Cats
Originally posted at Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Manhunt by Janet Evanovich had me smiling the whole time I was reading. I just love her! Her characters are quirky and strong willed. Alexandra Scott drops her current life as a successful executive in New Jersey on a whim and trades her home for a "cabin" and hardware store in Alaska sight unseen, trudging cross country with a senior Rottweiler with an eating fetish that gets him in a bit of trouble. Namely flying overboard after a donut. "Mic
Bbann
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still love the Stephanie Plum series better, but this was a quick, cute and fun read. Sometimes i sure wish i had the courage that Alex had to get up and start a new life.
Nancy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Super easy read-written just like a chick flick, but it would be a perfect book to read on the beach and just what I needed this summer.
Carlean Bacot
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
VERY ENTERTAINING BOOK LOL SEVERAL TIMES
Catherine Crook
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cowboys
cute.
a read that didn't need much thought.
Maya
Mar 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Picked this up off a hotel book swap shelf bc it was the only one in English. So terrible! I wasn't going to add it to my Goodreads but I thought it was slightly amusing that I read it at all.
Marilyn
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg I wanted to climb in the book and hit Casey myself. Loved the book. But Janet Evanovich doesn't right any bad stories.
Kristie (fabk)
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, audible, 2015
listened to

Re-read September 2015
J Jares
Although this book is an earlier work (1989) than most of the 12 novels/novellas in Evanovich's early career, it seems much better than most. First, no cars explode. Second, it takes more than 10 minutes for the couple to fall in love with each other!

Third, this story isn't just fun-and-games in the bedroom; there are serious issues each must grapple with before committing to each other. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of hilarity and cute nonsense.

Alexandra Scott has reached the tipping point
Lisa
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: janet-evanovich
This is a cute story about Alex who leaver her upscale job and condo and trades it for a cabin and a bait store in Alaska. She is convinced her biological clock is ticking and she thinks she'll have a better time finding "the right man" in Alaska. When she meets her neighbor Casey. Casey does everything he can think of to get her to go back to "where she belongs." Alex digs in and tries to stay but when her outhouse goes up in smoke, it all gets a little overwhelming for her. Then she meets Bubb ...more
doris
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evanovich/manhunt

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Casey and Alex . Alex trading in big city life for frontier life in alaska, and through mishaps through trial and error learning to live with the basic needs. And along the way driving a pilot crazy with forever rescuing her from one mishaps and another. Evanovich does not disappoint her readers, she has a flair for different type of story writing, you can never go wrong in reading her books, you will find yourself enjoying the story.
Emily Higgins
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Alexandra Scott decides to trade in her lifestyle as a busy New Jersey executive for owning a hardware store in Alaska. Her former life did not allow her time to find a husband and start a family, so she thought her life in Alaska would allow her to do that. She finds that her new home is a cabin on a mountain far from everything with no electricity, running water or other comforts. But there is one benefit - a very sexy neighbor.

• Foul Play
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • Strange Bedpersons
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • Lake Magic
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Mission: Irresistible
  • Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)
  • Pink Jinx (Jinx, #1; Cajun, #5)
“Will you promise to pick up after yourself?” “No, but I’ll hire a cleaning lady.” 0 likes