Book freaks discussion

What You've Read > Unread books on your bookshelves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) I have a problem with buying books because they have "pretty" covers or because the story seemed really good at the time. I tend to push those books behind the ones I found most important. Does anyone else do this? What books do you have that are unread?

I have so many I cannot name them all lol. I have a couple of Anne Rice books, Some Anita Blake, Son of a witch and many more.

message 2: by Starzee (last edited Feb 19, 2011 11:51PM) (new)

Starzee | 60 comments LOL I so know what you mean! I often go and browse at a bookstore and end up coming home with a pile of books because the covers were just so pretty. Then I end up leaving them in a pile, and the pile gets bigger and bigger each time I browse at a bookstore.

And it was only a week ago that I swore I wouldn't buy anymore books until I read the pile in my room, but today I caved and bought a few home haha.

I also have so many I can't name them all. But here's what I remember:

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica, #4) by Larissa Ione Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Prey (Shifters, #4) by Rachel Vincent Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent Alpha (Shifters, #6) by Rachel Vincent Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine

And that's just a fraction haha
There's also the Dark Hunter series - I have the first 18 books in that one
Robert muchamores Cherub series, I have 8 books in that series
Lynne Ewings Daughters of the Moon - I have 8 in that series

So yeah, I need to get my butt in gear and read some of them

message 3: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) I understand with the BDD series of why you have not read those yet. You need to skip lover enshrined and avenged straight to lover mine lol. It took me a while to read those two but I devoured lover mine. It was amazing. I vowed to myself a week ago to not buy anymore books until I read at least half of what I already have. But I ended up buying beautiful creatures lol

message 4: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments LOL yeah Phury's book is dragging on and on. But I can't skip it, even though I'm dying to read John's book. So slowly I'm trudging through them haha.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 10 comments I have so many books that I own that I haven't read yet...several years worth, easily...

message 6: by Pike (new)

Pike Paulo Coelho´s The winner stands alone...2 other books just waiting....

message 7: by Sille (new)

Sille (sssiiillleee) Unread books on my shelves tend to be older ones - recently my grandmother gave me about 100 books since she needed room, so I haven't really gotten around those books yet, there's always something else I have te (want to) read.
But when I look at my other books, then there's only a few I haven't read - A Game of Thrones (first 300 pages. It's pretty good but once I put the book down, I just don't feel the urge to pick it up again), The Green Mile, Last of the Wilds and Voice of Gods (I have no idea how I finished the first in the series), The Soloist (read about 150 pages but it has too little dialogue for my taste), The Old Girl Network (bought with an euro from one second-hand store - she watched me so sadly. :D But I tried to read it and.... ugh.)

message 8: by Desirée (new)

Desirée (desirel) | 5 comments I'm quite excessive when it comes to buying books, and I guess I own about 1.200 books I've never read. I´t sounds horrible, I know.
For years I have tended to buy books (especially cheap, used copys) but never read them. I read books from the library instead. I think it started when I first moved out of my parents house. I had the feeling I needed some treat in my shelf that would comfort me when I'd need comfort. I didn't even need so much comfort, but kept buying potential 'treats'. Only recently, I've started acutally reading my own books instead of going to the library. It's quite an experience. But I guess it will take me five years or so to reduce my unread books to a reasonable sum.

message 9: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Desirée wrote: "I'm quite excessive when it comes to buying books, and I guess I own about 1.200 books I've never read. I´t sounds horrible, I know.
For years I have tended to buy books (especially cheap, used cop..."

Haha! And I thought I was bad. Thanks, I feel a lot better now. Wow, that's a lot of books. Good luck finishing them all =D
Oooh and feel free to recommend the good ones!

message 10: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Most of the books I have on my bookshelf are unread. The sad part is some of them aren't even mine. I've just borrowed them from my friends.

message 11: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) Some of you guys have more unread books then I do. I am so glad to find I am not alone. Haha I also tend to buy books that are out of my comfort reading zone. I feel like I should push myself to read other genres. However, after I buy them I try to read them and I fail miserably. Then they just sit there for months or years till I decide to trade them for book store credit at my local used bookstore.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 10 comments Desirée wrote: "I'm quite excessive when it comes to buying books, and I guess I own about 1.200 books I've never read. I´t sounds horrible, I know.
For years I have tended to buy books (especially cheap, used cop..."

I have the same habits of buying cheap and then using the library more than reading my personal books. I know have a 1 for 1 rule until I get unread books under 100 that I own.

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments Anne Rice books are tedious...she tells good stories, for the most part, but is excessively wordy in her scenery descriptions, IMHO. Laurell Hamilton wrote very good Anita Blake books up to about book 12 or so...they have degenerated so much so that I told my husband to stop buying them for me...I don't enjoy them anymore. Ditto with her Merry Gentry books, which I enjoyed up to the 3rd book, then they got too predictable. Charlaine Harris is the same way, in that the first few books were interesting, but I got tired of everyone falling in love with Snookie after the 4th one. I think a series is really hard to keep new and fresh if the main character stays the same, without doing much evolving.

message 14: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Fiona wrote: "Anne Rice books are tedious...she tells good stories, for the most part, but is excessively wordy in her scenery descriptions, IMHO. Laurell Hamilton wrote very good Anita Blake books up to about ..."

Hmmm, that's why I prefer long series where the main characters switch out. E.G: The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. About 20 books long so far and each book has a different main character, though previous main characters act as minor characters in the new books.

message 15: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas (nicko1984) | 20 comments wow wow... those... I have a lot of unread books waiting. Sometimes I have one that I'll read after the current book but then I buy another book and I just pick up the new one, it's just random. I have some classics like War and Peace, and also some Stephen King books, etc etc. And that's about it, I want to finish them and get new ones :)

message 16: by Starzee (new)

Starzee | 60 comments Nicolas wrote: "wow wow... those... I have a lot of unread books waiting. Sometimes I have one that I'll read after the current book but then I buy another book and I just pick up the new one, it's just random. I ..."

Better be quick. Bookstores are heading South

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments Let's not hit the panic button just yet. Used book stores and resales run by groups like the AAUW will continue on for years, since most books don't degrade very quickly. "Real" new books will continue to be sold by independent book stores, who you might remember, were supposed to be run out of business by the big stores. Guess what? Those that survived are still around and doing quite well, having authors do signings, selling new books at overly-inflated prices, etc. People who read mass-market junk will continue to be able to find it at WallMart, where they insist on over-seeing the content so it's not "offensive" in any way to any possible objector. And you can always order new books from Amazon. Or just go to your library to hold a "real" book. The fact is that eBooks have been around for about 20 years, but the big publishers chose to ignore them as "just a fad", and the big stores followed their lead. Now that an increasing percentage of books sold are eBooks, all of a sudden we are all supposed to panic? Not me. I'm busy enjoying reading new, creative and original writing done by authors that the big guys repeatedly rejected, because it wasn't just a retread of the "same old crap". I've found humor, pathos, and damn good stories there, along with cheaper prices. So I don't have to insist on my husband building me more and more bookshelves to hold my treasures? Aw...gee...you're breaking my heart.

message 18: by Rarietty (last edited Feb 03, 2013 01:21PM) (new)

Rarietty | 61 comments I feel really guilty but...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

My friend gave me a very expensive hardcover copy for Christmas the first year the book came out. I planned to read the rest of the books in the series by the end of the year (I had read up to book 3) but, I got a little backtracked (I tried reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but by the middle I got bored and found a new book.) I still feel really guilty and I refused to sell or give the book away (which I usually do with books I've already read and disliked.) The book is still at the very middle of my shelf. I actually almost forgot about it until I found this thread.

message 19: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) Fiona wrote: "Let's not hit the panic button just yet. Used book stores and resales run by groups like the AAUW will continue on for years, since most books don't degrade very quickly. "Real" new books will co..."

At least it looks good on a book shelve XD

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments Yeah, the first Harry Potter book was kind of dull. She wasn't a very good writer, but had a good story. The second book she was a bit better. The third book she was comfortable with the characters and the world she had built for them to live in, and her writing improved. I read all of the books out loud to my family, but got kind of bored myself by the last book. By then I had already come up with my own ideas for how the series should end, and was disappointed in hers. The perils of being an author, I guess!

message 21: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) Jewelz wrote: "I feel really guilty but...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

My friend gave me a very expensive hardcover copy for Christmas the first year the book came out. I planned..."

OMG, u have to continue reading them, they r amazing, plot, characters & all.

message 22: by Dylan (last edited Feb 22, 2011 11:33AM) (new)

Dylan (coban3) Anyone read thus spoke zarathustra? i started reading it and couldnt get in to it, its sitting on my shelf with a bookmark like 50 pages in Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche Friedrich Wilhelm

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) Ebony wrote: "I have a problem with buying books because they have "pretty" covers or because the story seemed really good at the time. I tend to push those books behind the ones I found most important. Does any..."

I can relate! I have the same problem. So last year I decided I was not going to purchase any new books. I was only going to read books I already owned. I stuck with this for the most part. I only purchased 2 new books lol :-)

message 24: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) I promised myself no more books and now I am promising myself just three more books then I am done lol

message 25: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I have all kinds ... one whole shelf of Stephen King, most of which are unread, history, biographies, some self-help, religious, mysteries, lots & lots of fiction. You can see some in the bigger pics of my bookcase - both my profile pic (the neat version) and another I took after I added many more books in front of and on top of the books that are there. LOL I also, have books in other rooms, too. I know, I know ... it's a sickness, but what a fun one!!

message 26: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) Haha I know I have a sickness as well. I just can't stop buying them. I was in a book slump for a while. I did not want to buy or read any books. However, I got out of it and am back to my old book buying ways. There are so many good books I want to read (and ones with pretty covers >_>)

message 27: by Glennis (new)

Glennis I haven't read half of the books in the house, because they're hubby's and sometimes of a different genre than I read. Sometimes we cross over...but we both have very defined reading preferences. We both get hung up on a subject and want to read everything we can find...which explains my extensive Kennedy Assassination shelf. I also have most of the books on a couple of well known murder cases. My latest indulgence is the Holocaust. And, of course, I read cook books like novels. I'm thinking it's time to invest in some well sealed trunks so I can store some by genre...who knows when I'll NEED to find one for some reason!

message 28: by Keerthana (new)

Keerthana Kesavan | 164 comments i've been meaning to read The Count Of Monte Cristo for atleast a year now.
i mean i know its a really good book. my dad says so, and so do my friends. but for some reason i just keep procrastinating reading that book alone, maybe cause of its size. i dont know. its 1064 pages!!

message 29: by Lalalalaaa (last edited Feb 27, 2011 01:53AM) (new)

Lalalalaaa | 17 comments I have way too many. So many that I could probably go through the rest of the year without buying more books... but it's my weakness, I can't stop!!

Some of them :

Kill Your Friends by John Niven Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery a La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1) by L.L. Bartlett Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3) by John Sandford Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8) by John Sandford The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen Ghost Story by Peter Straub Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah The Island by Elin Hilderbrand Still Alice by Lisa Genova Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8) by Laura Levine Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Deeper by Megan Hart The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A.J. Jacobs The Year Of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2) by Jaclyn Moriarty Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1) by Leann Sweeney Hit Reply by Rocki St. Claire The Stand by Stephen King The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams

And yeah, I could go on for hours...

That being said, I love my entire collection and there's not a single one I'm not dying to read!

message 30: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 20 comments I also have so many books that I'm yet to read, i could start a mini library.

Selection of books I'm yet to read:

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt The Suicide Shop by Jean Teule Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis Tommyland by Tommy Lee Treasure Island (Penguin Classics) by Robert Louis Stevenson .... I could go on

message 31: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) If they are physical books, and I have them sitting at home for more than a year (unread) than I usually donate them to the "Sally Ann" or "W.I.N" or take them to the used bookstore and place them under my grandmothers name for credit for her. I figure a year of sitting around and I am not ready to read them just yet, so why have them collect dust when they can help people who need the money?

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (swarring) | 10 comments I have a problem with buying books. So, I have many unread books!

message 33: by Peter (new)

Peter Morrs I finally started reading John Adams by David McCollough it is the last unread book on the bookshelf. I can't believe I actually followed through with my committment to read everything before loading it back up again.

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have like a year's worth of books to read on my shelves. Most of them get pushed back because of the new books I get and need to read. Especially if the book is by one of my favorite authors .

message 35: by Summer (new)

Summer (summer-b) | 7 comments At a giant promotional sale last Christmas ('09) I bought I think 5 or 6 books, most of which I still have not read:
The Woman in White, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Vanity Fair (which I sadly gave up reading after trying desperately to get engaged at random points over a year). From my regular collection, I have not read: Spindle's End (which I have tried - and failed - to read around 4 times since first picking it up), The Secret Garden, Watership Down. And finally, from my Kindle collection: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes, Perfect Match, Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1), Brass Ring, Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter, As You Like It, and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (letsgotowonderland) Buying books is like an addiction for me lol. I can't stop it. I have a huge list of "to-read" on my shelf right now that I really need to get through! Dang you authors for writing such interesting books! :p. On my shelf right now though I do have the first Wheel of Time Book, First Truth, 2 Women of the Otherworld books, the first Earthsea Cycle book, the 2 Innocent Mage books, and quite a few other ones that I forgot the name of at the moment lol.

message 37: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (coban3) Kristina wrote: "Buying books is like an addiction for me lol. I can't stop it. I have a huge list of "to-read" on my shelf right now that I really need to get through! Dang you authors for writing such interesting..."

READ THE EARTHSEA CYCLE ITS MAGICAL

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellejam) | 3 comments Kristina wrote: "Buying books is like an addiction for me lol. I can't stop it. I have a huge list of "to-read" on my shelf right now that I really need to get through! Dang you authors for writing such interesting..."

haha I do the same thing! I love adding books to my bookshelf. There are about 20 that I still need to read but I keep putting it off because I buy new books and want to read those. And so the list grows bigger and bigger...

message 39: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (letsgotowonderland) Dylan wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Buying books is like an addiction for me lol. I can't stop it. I have a huge list of "to-read" on my shelf right now that I really need to get through! Dang you authors for writing..."

I will be soon!! lol

message 40: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (coban3) Kristina wrote: "Dylan wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Buying books is like an addiction for me lol. I can't stop it. I have a huge list of "to-read" on my shelf right now that I really need to get through! Dang you autho..."

GOOD, there was only one book in it that i thought was a bit slow, but the others were fantastic! Plus she has two books of short stories from the world of Earthsea and some of them coincide with the plots from the main 4 books, definitely recommend reading them! haha

message 41: by Nevena (new)

Nevena | 21 comments What I do is I take out at least ten books from the library every time (usually more) because they look really pretty or somebody mentioned the name to me even if I already have books I'm reading
But you can never have too many books

message 42: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 24 comments That's a lot. I can usually take 5 books from the university library at a time, but I usually use those for work related books, leaving one slot for my readings. On regular libraries you can usually take one or two books at a time around here...

message 43: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) I am trying to cut back on books I buy. However, I fail miserable at it. I am trying to get more books from the library.

message 44: by Ms BookAholic (last edited Apr 06, 2011 03:32PM) (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) So many books on my bookshelf are unread. And I keep buying more! lol :) Mostly though I have a lavish of Stephen King books that are unread.

~Sammy

message 45: by Black Queen (last edited Apr 07, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

Black Queen (blackqueen) | 89 comments Afterlife,Awakened these two are the ones I'm going to read after the night series.

Jess | A Book to Remember  (abooktoremember_jess) I am right there with you!! I keep buying books and I can't even catch up with them!! Some of them just have a pretty cover and sounded good, but most are ones I do want to read and have heard a lot about etc. I can't list them all because there are 286 of them! and 20 more to come to me in the mail :) I love collecting books and want a library one day, but I am overwhelmed, and wish I read all the ones I have because there are plenty of ones I don't have yet that I want to read!! Sooooo much too read, sooo little time!!!

message 47: by Ms BookAholic (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) Jessica Ellen wrote: "I am right there with you!! I keep buying books and I can't even catch up with them!! Some of them just have a pretty cover and sounded good, but most are ones I do want to read and have heard a lo..."

Hey Jessica :)
I'm the same way with books! I just love them and keep collecting away haha. Same as you I'd love to have a library one day full of books. There are so many books, im like which to read?? Ah! :)

~Sammy

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) I'm like Sammy and Jessica Ellen. I have tons of unread books on my shelf but know I will get to them some time. I do keep buying. There's something exciting about having a new book even if there are unread ones on the shelf.

message 49: by Ms BookAholic (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) Deborah wrote: "I'm like Sammy and Jessica Ellen. I have tons of unread books on my shelf but know I will get to them some time. I do keep buying. There's something exciting about having a new book even if ther..."

Yeah it is an exciting feeling :) lol
Just knowing you have another good book waiting..

message 50: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) Deborah wrote: "I'm like Sammy and Jessica Ellen. I have tons of unread books on my shelf but know I will get to them some time. I do keep buying. There's something exciting about having a new book even if ther..."

Yes I feel the same way. It is just so exciting to make that buy. I love the look, feel, and smell of a new book. I really love it if the cover is beautiful.

« previous 1