Start by marking “Veronika Decides to Die” as Want to Read:
Veronika Decides to Die

Veronika Decides to Die

(On the Seventh Day #2)

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  172,819 ratings  ·  8,019 reviews
In his latest international bestseller, the celebrated author of The Alchemist addresses the fundamental questions asked by millions: What am I doing here today? and Why do I go on living?

Twenty-four-year-old Veronika seems to have everything she could wish for: youth and beauty, plenty of attractive boyfriends, a fulfilling job, and a loving family. Yet something is lacki

Published June 1st 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Veronika Decides to Die, please sign up.
Ananya off course it's an eye opener.every one who thinks his life is not worth living should give it a try and the doctors should read it in order to know t…moreoff course it's an eye opener.every one who thinks his life is not worth living should give it a try and the doctors should read it in order to know the mind-set of patients. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Omar Raafat فلسفة كتير
بتحب كده (less)

·  172,819 ratings  ·  8,019 reviews

Start your review of Veronika Decides to Die
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Pretty, single, 24-year-old Veronika decides to die for two reasons, both of them phony: one, because she realizes she will one day be old; and two, because a lot of things are wrong in this world. She then takes a lot of sleeping pills. While waiting to die, as if she's waiting for her cat to finish drinking its milk, Veronika decides to read a magazine and then write to the editor of that magazine. Which made the scene cartoonish.

This rare combination of phoniness and cartoonishness gelled and
Federico DN
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Madness is wanting to be normal.

There is something very wrong with the world. Veronika wants to die. And she can certainly try, but she can also, certainly, fail. Committed to an insane asylum, she may actually find sanity in the craziest places of all.

Unfortunately, I cannot really go into much detail without spoiling much of the book's content, so I'm just going to say that those few who decide to read it may find in it a beautiful profoundly moving story, about life, and death.

Veronika is o
Irina
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! Awesome! I could not put the book down!

“Veronika Decides to Die” – just read the title again….decides to die…
How many times have you said to yourself, at least I have, “Ahh…I don’t care, I don’t really want to live anymore”, without even thinking about the meaning of it.

So Veronika said the same thing and decided to do something about it. Why?
Nothing bad had happened to Veronika, she was beautiful, had a regular life…very ordinary though ... but normal
She decided that it was not
Gloria Mundi
Veronika is a 24 year old Slovenian woman who one day decides to kill herself, apparently because (1) "everything in her life was the same and, once her youth was gone, it would be downhill all the way" and (2) everything is wrong with the world and she feels powerless to make things right. After she takes an overdose of sleeping pills, Veronika wakes up in a mental asylum and the remainder of the book is, basically, a series of interactions between Veronika and a number of the inhabitants of th ...more
juicy brained intellectual
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-own, ebooks
this shitty, whiny book in a nutshell, which is all it deserves: a simple, trite, self-indulgent allegory that poorly contemplates the similarities between genius and insanity

i think this is the worst passage i've read so far:
Vitriol was a toxic substance whose symptoms he had identified in his conversations with the men and women he had met. Now he was writing a thesis on the subject, which he would submit to the Slovenian Academy of Sciences for its scrutiny. It was the most important step in
Misha
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, loved-it, 2009
At about 50 pages in, it's a little frightening how much I've identified with Veronika thus far, how much I understand her rationale for wanting to die. She can only see one path unfolding for herself, and it's one she can't stomach. I get that. But unlike Veronika I haven't given up hope that my path may yet fork off in unexpected and exciting directions.

I also read and think there must be a certain kind of comfort in going truly insane. Not this garden-variety neurosis I experience, but really
Jaidee
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: two-stars-books
2 bemused yes bemused stars !

Veronika has a mild personality disorder and attempts a serious suicide attempt. She is placed in a private psych. hospital in the capital of Slovenia. She is beautiful and artistic and hypersexual and "special" (I suspect that this is the way Mr. Coelho views himself as well)

Through pretentious and contrived conversations and situations filled with half-facts, pseudo-wisdom and a whole lot of malarkey she is cured. This is not a novel but rather a vehicle for Mr. Co
İntellecta
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
For people who are concerned only superficially with the subject complex, the book is perhaps quite suitable.
I found it very terrible and failed, especially in face of the fact that the approach could have a lot of potential, but this novel was anything but useful.
Xandra
Oct 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
The best way to describe this book is: it makes no sense whatsoever. Of course, you may say: "Well, Xandra, Paulo Coelho is a profound man, a philosopher. Not everyone gets him."
Yeah, ok. I can't possibly argue with that.
Now...
Veronika is a young Slovenian woman who decides to kill herself because her youth is almost gone and the world is a fucked up place. What? Yes, she is Slovenian. What do you mean why? I don't know why! I guess it's more exotic this way. Shut up!
Ugh, I'm talking to myself
Barbara
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it

Veronika, an attractive 24-year-old woman living in Ljubljana, Slovenia, has loving parents, an okay job, decent boyfriends, and so on. However she's tired of her routine life and tries to commit suicide. Veronika's attempt fails and she wakes up in Villete, a local mental hospital.

There Veronika is told that her suicide attempt has severely damaged her heart and she has about a week to live.

Liberated from worries about going on with life - and learning that mental patients are free to exhibit
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One word: liberating!

Divided into 27 unnamed chapters, this book talks about Veronica, someone who has got everything in her life that noth8ng matters to her anymore.
She thinks she has got everything what a human needs to be happy and gets tired of a monotonous life of having everything.
She ultimately decides to end her life as she thinks there is nothing else to want or need more to live by as she already has a good job, being young & pretty, having the best boyfriend, a perfect family.
Somehow
Liz
Apr 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This was really the worst book I've ever read. I don't know if it's a problem in the translation or not, but as much as I WANTED to like this book I just couldn't make myself. I got about 60 pages away from the end before I realized that I didn't care about any of the characters and just wanted Veronika to die and get it over with.

I think the worst part for me is that the author chose to write the second chapter about himself. Generally speaking, I think it's admirable that he wanted to protect
Muhammed Hebala
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
"The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets successfully through many a bad night.
Nietzsche"

“I need a sign, that things are gonna change. I need a reason to go on. I need some hope. And in the absence of hope, I need to stay in bed and feel like I might die today.
Meredith Grey, Grey’s Anatomy"

"An awareness of death encourages us to live more intensely."

"But humans are all alike, she thought. We have replaced nearly all of our emotions with fear."

This book allows the
C.
Aug 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not even my worst enemy
I totally, completely and utterly fail to understand this book. However, as typically befalls me when I read a book by Paolo Coelho, I seem to recall a moment about four-fifths of the way to the end when I had an epiphanic moment - when I realised that although I had loathed the book from the start until that exact sentence, I suddenly understood it and could comprehend and possibly even accept (though grudgingly) that other people could like it and that it could possibly qualify as a Good Book. ...more
Manny
I had heard so many things about Paul Coelho that I had to find out for myself what he was like. The reviewers all seemed to hate him, but a couple of our au pairs said he was great.

Well, I read Veronika Decides to Die, and in fact I quite enjoyed it! But I also thought it would be wise to quit while I was ahead.
LINDA
Nov 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
After reading the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, I decided that it was time to read another of his works.

This book was about Veronika and how she had decided to die, and attempted suicide. She awakens from her attempt to realize that the attempt was not successful, but that she had cause damage to her heart with the medication that she had tried to overdose on and that she would die within days.

Veronika uses her remaining time to reflect and through her own self-discovery she realizes that she shou
Vishnu Chevli
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
I have picked up this book from this year's book fair. My eyes went on this book and I knew I had to buy this book. I have read Paulo Coelho's work before and I have loved it so I was eager to know what this book contains.

Veronika is a beautiful, attractive girl, has a basic job and a comfortable living. She finds no excitement in her life and so she finally decides to end it but her attempt was foul. And she ends up in a mental hospital where she finds out that she has limited days to live. But
Tahera
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At 24, Veronika decides she has experienced everything she has to experience with her life and the only thing now left for her to do is die and so she decides to take her own life by overdosing on sleeping pills. However, her attempted suicide fails and she ends up waking, after a week in coma, in Villette a local hospital and institution for mental patients where Dr. Igor tells her that her suicide attempt has left her with a very weak heart and she has only a few days left to live so she shoul ...more
EmBibliophile
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
5 ‘madness’ stars

”An awareness of death encourages us to live more intensely."

This book is insane!! This is such a spiritual/philosophical book that discusses a lot of issues. It talks about death and life and the meaning of them, madness and insanity and why would we actually say that someone is “mad”. It just blows your mind. I really loved the main idea/plot of the book and the message it tried to send. I also liked How it takes place in a mental institution.

The happier people can be, the unh
Norah Una Sumner
Giving this book 3 stars simply because I like Eduard.
I've read three books by Paulo Coehlo so far-Veronika Decides to Die,The Devil and Miss Prym and The Alchemist.And even though I gave three stars to all three of them,I keep going back to Coehlo.I love his characters,I guess that's what I like the most about his books.And his endings are the best.

description
Bharath rajeswaran
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: all the irritated teens
I actually was glancing through a book shop and when suddenly this book caught my attention. I 've previously read The Alchemist and i thoroughly enjoyed it. But veronica was pretty awesome. In a sense, it was the truth of the western world and will be applicable to the eastern world which is actually involved all the time in copying the west. And from a very depressed state, with no great ambitions or desire in everyday life, veronica decides that life is not worthy of living and after a failed ...more
James
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
'Veronica Decides to Die' (1998) - Coelho tells the story of the eponymous Veronica, a young Slovenian woman who, tired and seemingly frustrated with the meaningless of life - makes an unsuccessful suicide attempt, only to find herself 'dying' in Villete a 'much feared lunatic asylum'.

'Veronica' is not just a deeply unsatisfying book, but a book which paints a bizarre, frustrating, ill informed and fundamentally flawed portrait of Mental Health/Illness as something which is almost a choice, some
Tony Le
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is not for every one to read. Only misfortunate people who had or have a distressing and excruciating experience with depressions and panic attacks would really understand the words of Paulo Coelho in Veronika Decides to Die.
Sushi
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
"Death frees from the fear of dying."

Or so she's convinced right before she decides to end her existence.
But fate has something entirely different set in store for her.

Waking up in a mental asylum a couple of days later, Veronika's told that she will get what she desired for: her death. The attempt at her own life has damaged her heart irrevocably and now her days are numbered. Just like that, her worst nightmare comes alive: waiting for death.

So what is it that made Veronika call quits? She
Alaska
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SEN NE KADAR HARİKA BİR KİTAPSIN ÖYLE
FractalHealing
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure whether among Paulo Coelho’s goals in writing ‘Veronika decides to die’ was to not only inform the readers of the exact location of Ljubljana, Slovenia but also to stir interest in its political circumstances in and around the year 1997 . If it was, it is safe to say that , that particular mission is accomplished as far as I am concerned. This book was first published in the year 2000 (ISBN # 0-06- 0I9612-2). The central theme of the book, contrary to what its title suggests is, li ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Missoni
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Shelves: 1001-core
Fiction can be classified into two broad categories: (1) Escape literature - written purely for entertainment to help us pass the time agreeably and (2) Interpretative Literature - written to broaden and deepen and sharpen our awareness of life. Escape literature takes us away from the real world; it enables us temporarily to forget our troubles. Interpretative literature takes us, through the imagination, deeper into the real world: it enables us to understand our troubles. Escape literature ha
Florentina
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a shocking novel! In general I like Paulo Coelho books but this one is specially good, I think that is my favourite one. I love the way he approaches to tough issues like suicide or mental illness. This is a book that without any doubt I will recumbent to everyone that want to rediscover the meaning of life and the power of death to start living the life we always wanted and not the life that we are supposed to life.
Bonnie
You know how there are just certain things in life that your brain simply cannot comprehend no matter how hard you try? For me, that’s philosophy. Philosophy seems like something that should totally work for me, but the bigger picture, that moment of clarity, of understanding, NEVER comes. I signed up for Philosophy 101 in University and I’m not sure if I had the worst teacher known to man but I walked out less than halfway through the first class. The sole exception to this has been The Tao of ...more
Johara
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was my first attempt with Paulo Coelho, and I have to say… It was not a pleasant one. I read this book a very long time ago, and I am only adding this review just so that I can get it out of my system whenever his name pops in my conversations with other bookworms.

I don’t recall much of the details however I do recall that it was depressing, agonizing to read, and just soooooooooo slow I had to toss it half way.

Do I regret it? No.

Will I attempt to read his other books? Also no.
what is the hidden message in this story 14 209 May 13, 2020 11:00PM
Reading 1001: Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho 4 17 Mar 13, 2019 04:55PM
Reading 1001: Veronika Decides to Die 3 15 Jan 06, 2019 05:51PM
Were Veronica's reasons for trying to commit suicide appropriate?? 8 30 Nov 14, 2018 04:44AM
The Milexy Universe: Spoilery Discussion! 5 31 Jan 02, 2017 03:31PM
The Milexy Universe: Spoiler-free Discussion! 2 11 Nov 16, 2016 09:59AM
2017 Reading Chal...: Veronika Decides to Die 8 20 Jul 29, 2016 05:37AM

• Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
  • The Little Prince
  • The Forty Rules of Love
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • Letter to a Child Never Born
  • When Nietzsche Wept
  • Blindness (Blindness, #1)
  • The Metamorphosis
  • Chronicle of a Death Foretold
  • Kürk Mantolu Madonna
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns
  • The Last Day of a Condemned Man
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more

On the Seventh Day (3 books)
  • By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
  • The Devil and Miss Prym (On the Seventh Day, #3)

Articles featuring this book

If you love reading as much as our colleagues, then your summer fun itinerary will most likely include books. To help inspire...
“The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.” 2675 likes
“People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.” 1838 likes