The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SPRING CHALLENGE 2011: AUSTRALIA > Spring Challenge 2011: AUSTRALIA Tasks

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 14, 2011 10:11AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17482 comments Mod
The Spring 2011 Challenge will begin on March 1st, 2011 and will end at midnight (EST) on May 31, 2011.

5.1 Waltzing Matilda- Read a book with a word from any form of dance: ballet, waltz, tango, electric slide etc. OR any variation of the word "Dance" in the title. Here's a list to get started: List of Dances ex. I Was a Dancer, High Plains Tango: A Novel "Electric Slide": Slide Rule or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Required: if you use the dance word option you must post the name of the dance.

5.2 Circle of Friends- Click on the "Friends" tab, and then "Popular Books". This produces a list of the most common books from your 20 most recently active friends' lists. Read a book from that list.

5.3 Gimme Five: March, April, And May are short word name months. Read a book by an author whose last name is five or fewer LETTERS. ex. Christopher Moore, Jamie Ford, Josephine Tey

5.4 Fan Club: Go to the profile page of one of your favorite authors and navigate to their fan listing. Click on a fan's profile and read a 5-star book from their Read shelf. Required: Post a link to the author and state the fan whose list you used.

5.5 I'm Tellin': May 2 is Brothers and Sisters Day- Read a book with "Brother(s)", "Sister(s)", or "Sibling(s)" in the title. The prefix "step-" and suffix "-hood" work. Please ask about others. ex. Little Brother, Sister Carrie, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

5.6 Water, Water, Everywhere: Oceania is comprised on many island nations. Read a book with a view of a body of water on the cover. Underwater and in-water images work.
The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman Jaws by Peter Benchley The Motion of the Ocean 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife by Janna Cawrse Esarey The Diving Pool Three Novellas by Yoko Ogawa

5.7 Going Green: Listen to an audiobook, read an ebook or read a book that you borrow from the library or a friend, obtain from a swap, or buy from a supplier of second-hand books. Required: State the format or source when you post

5.8 Blow Your Stack: National Pancake Week is celebrated the first week in March. Since pancakes come in stacks, read a book from your To Read stack that was added before February 19, 2011.

5.9 Shrimp on the Barbie Read a "shrimp" of a book with 200 or fewer pages.

5.10 Kia Ora: A Māori language greeting which has entered New Zealand English, Kia Ora means literally "be well/healthy" and is translated as an informal "hi". Read a book originally written in a language that is not your native language.

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Mar 04, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
10.1. Sing Out: March is Music in Our Schools Month. Read a biography/autobiography/memoir of a musician, or a novel featuring a professional musician or music teacher. If the connection is not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the connection in your post.

10.2. Say what?: March 14 is International Ask a Question Day. Read a book with “who,” “what,” “when,” “where,” “why,” or “how” in the title.

10.3. Beware the Ides of March : March 15 is the Ides of March. Read a book about, or set during, the time of the Roman Empire (44 BC to 476 AD) and having some connection to the Roman Empire. The book does not have to be set in Rome.

10.4. Elementary, my dear Watson: March 18-20 is Sherlock Holmes Weekend. Read a mystery book. Mysteries have a detective protagonist (amateur or professional) who investigates and solves a crime.

10.5. It Takes Two: April is Couple Appreciation Month – read a book with a 2 word title. Articles such as "a, an, the" count as words. Subtitles may be ignored.

10.6. Respect Your Elders: April 9th is National Cherish an Antique Day – read a book originally published before 1960.

10.7. Kuddle a Koala?: April 26th is Hug an Australian Day – read a book by an Australian author or set in Australia. If the connection is not obvious from the title of the book, please briefly explain the connection in your post.

10.8. Come On, Eat Your Spinach: May is a big month for vegetables and fruit – Carrots and Cauliflower month, Grapefruit and Kiwi Month, National Salad Month, Potatoes and Limes Month, and Sweet Vidalia Onions Month! Read a book with the name of a fruit or vegetable or the word fruit or vegetable in the title, or with a fruit or vegetable on the cover.

For words in the title, singular or plural is fine. The word itself must appear in the title - compound words (i.e. Lemony Snicket) are not allowed.

10.9. No Lawyer Jokes!: May 1 is Law Day. Read a fiction or non-fiction book about law or featuring a lawyer. If the connection is not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the connection in your post.

10.10. The Final Frontiers: May 3 is Paranormal Day and May 4 is Intergalactic Star Wars Day - read a fantasy or science fiction book

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10887 comments Mod
15.1 -- The Land Down Under
A. Read one book with the words “Down” and “Under” anywhere in the title, subtitle, or author’s name. For example, the word "Down" may be in the title and the word "Under" could be part of the author's name or vice versa. Additions to the words are OK. Ex. Downstairs, Downing, Underwater, Underwood
OR
B. Read two books. One with the word “Down” and one with the word “Under” anywhere in the title, subtitle, or author’s name. Additions to the words are OK.

15.2 -- Blurb It
Many authors (or their publishers) will ask a well-known author to provide a quote for the front cover of a new book. These quotes are called blurbs. For this task, read one book that has a blurb from another author on it.
AND
Read a book by the author that provided the blurb. Example: My library's copy of I Capture the Castle has a quote on the front cover that reads: "This book has one of the most charismatic narrators I've ever met." ~ J.K.Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books. So, for this task, I could read I Capture the Castle for my first book and one of the Harry Potter books for the second book.

15.3 -- Earth Day
Earth Day is celebrated around the world on April 22nd. In honor of Earth Day, choose two of the following:
A. Reduce: Read any book listed as one of the 22 oldest books on your TBR list.
B. Reuse: Read a book you planned to read for the Winter 2010-2011 challenge, but didn’t get to OR reread an old favorite.
C. Recycle Read a book you’ve been dying to read and then give it away OR read a book you've borrowed from the library or a friend..
Required: State which 2 options you chose when you post.

15.4 -- It's a Repeat
April 11th is International Louie, Louie Day. In addition, Oceania is the home of many repetitive place names (Pago Pago, Wagga Wagga, and Woy Woy, for example). For this task:
A. Read one book with a word in the title that repeats (Ex: Absalom, Absalom!, My Darling, My Hamburger, What Is the What, I Am What I Am, etc.). Excluded words: a, an, the, and, but, or, to, in, of, as
OR
B. Read two books that have the same word in the title (Ex: Deep Down and Deep Storm, Deception Point and The Face of Deception, PS, I Love You and For the Love of Pete, etc.). If you choose the 2 book option, both books must be written by different authors. Same excluded words as above apply. The words must be exactly the same (light and lights, for example, will not work).

15.5 -- Award Me
Australia is part of the British Commonwealth. The Man Booker Prize is awarded to the best book written by a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. Read a Man Booker Prize winner or one of the nominees from any of the years this prize has been awarded.

15.6 -- The Truth Is...
Sometimes I read a novel and wonder what's true and what the author has made up. For this task, choose a novel that contained a topic you'd like to know more about and read a non-fiction book about this topic. Example: A couple of years ago I read Water for Elephants and I've wanted to know more about circuses ever since so I could read non-fiction book about a circus or some aspect of circus life. Required: Tell us the title of novel that inspired your choice.

15.7 -- Lab Lit
Albert Einstein was born March 14, 1879 and he died April 18, 1955. In honor of this great scientist, read a novel in which a scientist plays a major role. Examples: Prodigal Summer (biologist), Talk Nerdy to Me (chemical engineer), Cannery Row (marine biologist), Jurassic Park or Mendel's Dwarf (geneticists), etc. Required: If the scientist's role in the story is not obvious from the GR description of the book, state how a scientist plays a major role in the book.

15.8 -- From a Different Perspective
Read a novel written from a unique point of view. For example, it could be written in 2nd person, from a non-human perspective, from multiple perspectives, or it could be a retelling of a story from a different perspective. Examples: Bright Lights, Big City (written in 2nd person), The Art of Racing in the Rain or The Book Thief (written from a non-human perspective), In the Time of the Butterflies or My Sister's Keeper (each chapter is written from a different character's perspective), Wide Sargasso Sea (retelling of Jane Eyre from the madwoman in the attic's perspective) or Grendel (Beowulf from the monster's perspective). Epistolary novels would work, too. Examples: The Color Purple, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Bridget Jones's Diary, etc. Required: If the different point of view is not obvious from the GR description of the book, state how it qualifies as a different perspective.

15.9 -- In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Read a book with the name of an animal in the title or a picture of an animal on the cover. Animals must be real. Dogs, cats, insects, horses, fish, birds, or reptiles will work. Mythical animals such as dragons, unicorns, werewolves, and vampires will not. Required: If using the cover option, you must include the cover or a link to the book in your post.

15.10 -- Spring Break
Take a break and read any book you choose.

message 4: by Sandy (last edited Mar 19, 2011 03:08PM) (new)

20.1. Most Improved Player. Cindy AL's Task: Lassiez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

March 8 is Fat Tuesday - "Lassiez les bon temps rouler" - contrary to popular belief, the modern American celebration of Mardi Gras did not originate in New Orleans, modern Mardi Gras began in Mobile, AL, thanks to one Joe Cain, after the Civil War. I refer you to http://www.squidoo.com/originalmardigras...

To celebrate Mardi Gras pick one of the following choices:

1) Read a book written by an author whose initials are in the following: J,O,E,C,A,I,N,F,A,T,T,U,E,S,D,A,Y. Initials can be in any order, but all initials must be within these four words, that is you can use two Es or Ts, but only one S or N.

OR

2) Mardi Gras has some odd traditions, some unique to Mobile, some shared with our big sister down the coast. We eat king cake, throw moon pies, hand out black roses, wear lovely hats to the Queen's Luncheon and tails are the costume de rigueur at the mystic society balls.

Read a book with one of these words in the title: king, queen, cake, pie, moon, black, rose, hat, tail, mystic, society or ball. Plurals and possessives of the words are OK, so are derivative words if the base word is still spelled as listed, ie, kingdom, pies, moonbeam all acceptable.

OR

3) Read a book by an author with an Alabama connection, see this list: Alabama Authors

20.2 Rookie at the Top. Travelgirlut's Task: Random Words
Go to Random Word Generator and click on the number "5" to generate five random words. Read a book that has at least one of your five words in the title or subtitle. Series names will not work for this task. Plurals and possessives of your words are acceptable but not prefixes or suffixes or any other additions. To make it extra challenging, see if you can find a book with more than one of your words!

For example, if my five words were “flamenco,” “conductor,” “stone,” “cottage,” and “minute,” I could read .The Flamenco Academy, Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone,The Cottage, or Eleven Minutes
Required: When posting, tell us your five random words.

20.3. Best Review Contest. Katy's Task: Happy International Women's Day!
March is Women's History Month, which grew out of International Women's Day on March 8. International Women's Day has been celebrated since 1911. For this task, read a book that was published in 1911 or later and written by a female author who was born in or currently resides in a country other than your own. If a country is indicated in the GR bio for the author, that can be used. If not, this list may help: Authors by Country

When posting, please indicate your country and that of the author.

20.4 Author, Author. Tracyj's Task: The Royal Wedding

On April 29th Prince William will marry Kate Middleton in a royal wedding that will undoubtably be watched around the world. To honor the royal wedding, read a fiction or non-fiction book whose title or sub-title contains one of the following words: royal, wedding, prince, princess, husband, wife or marriage. Plurals, possessives and variations with prefixes and suffixes are allowed.

OR

Prince William's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis and Kate's full name is Catherine Elizabeth. Read a book written by an author whose first name is one of William or Kate's names. I will accept "Catherine" or "Katherine", and I will also accept Kate. No other diminutives (i.e. Bill) may be used. This must be the author's first name.

20.5. Bigger is Better. Rachel Renee's Task: Alliterative Authors Association

Read any book by an author with an alliterative name!

For example Herman Hesse, James Joyce, or Daniel Defoe would all work, but not Antonio Lobo Antusnes or Jerome K. Jerome (be sure to go by the author's name as it's written on his or her goodreads profile).

Authors with three or more names are fine as long as two consecutive names are alliterative (i.e. Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Lucy Maud Montgomery), and if an author has initials in his or her name like A. A. Milne or George R. R. Martin, that also works.

20.6. Seasoned Reader. Kathryn CA's Task: Young Adult Series

I have been participating in the Seasonal Reading Challenge for 10 challenges now and I always try to fit in as many Young Adult novels as possible (my genre of choice). For this task, read a YA book that is a part of a series and has at least 400 pages.

To determine whether a book is YA for purposes of this task, go to the main Goodreads page for the book. On the right side, you will see a list of "Popular Shelves". If the book is shelved on "Young Adult," "YA," "Teen," or a similar shelf, it works for this task. The shelf must appear as a "Popular Shelf" on the main book page when you select it for the task.

You can read multiple books from series to add up to 400 pages if you want. This can be multiple books from the same series, or books from different series.

20.7 Shorter is Sweeter. Tami's task: Quips and Quotes

For this task, please choose a favorite or meaningful verse, quip, quote or saying. Read one book that either relates in some way to your choice OR one book that has one word from your choice in the Title. If selecting your book using a word from your chosen verse, quip, quote or saying, the word must be exact. Any verse, quip, quote or saying you choose is acceptable for this task. Please include your verse, quip, quote or saying when you post your completed task. If you need some help finding a quote, here's a starting point for you - GR Quotes

Example: My selected saying "We must absolutely do what we love or we run the risk of doing nothing at all" author unknown. Possible book choices include 48 Days to the Work You Love, At Risk, Absolutely Normal Chaos.

If it's not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the relationship of your book to your quip or quote.

20.8. It's My Birthday. Jayme VA's Task: The Night I was Born

The night I was born, the mini series based on The Thorn Birds was on television. In the time before TIVO and apparently VCRs with record buttons, the doctor almost did not make it to the hospital in time because he was so engrossed. For this task, read a book that was later made into a mini series. This must be a miniseries, not a regular television series.

For some ideas, take a look at http://www.imdb.com/keyword/based-on-...
http://www.imdb.com/keyword/based-on-...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-based-cl...

You do not have to choose from these lists and please remember to double check that your choice fits the requirements of this task. If your chosen mini-series is not listed on imdb, please provide a link to verify the miniseries and book on which it's based.

The mini-series must have been based upon a specific book or series of books. If a mini-series is based upon a series of books, you may read any book from the series. The book you read must be an actual part of the series, not just a book related to the series, and must be written by the same author.

Required: when posting, please include the book and the name of the mini series for this task.

20.9. Lucky Me! Laurie's Task

In 1770, Great Britain laid claim to the eastern side of Australia. Their plan for developing the territory was to transport criminals to their settlement and use them to complete government projects, such as road construction, or to assign them to free settlers for domestic or field labor. The exiled criminals could have committed crimes ranging from theft to murder, so in many cases, they were considered lucky to have escaped the gallows or incarceration in an over-crowded jail with poor living conditions. This practice continued until the 1850’s.

Read a book that has one of the following words in its title: thief, murder, crime, criminal, exile, convict, robber or stolen. You may use the plural (for example, thieves is acceptable) or derivatives of these words as long as the complete word appears (for example, conviction, robbery, murderer).

The word must appear in the title of the book - no subtitles. If a title is in a language other than English, it may be used if one of the words in the title translates to one of the listed English words.

20.10 Group Read
Read one of the following Group Read Selections and make at least one post in the discussion thread for that book.
A. Best Love Stories: Outlander
B. Biography/Authobiography/Memoir: The Glass Castle
C. Science Fiction/Fantasy: I Am Number Four

message 5: by Sandy (last edited Mar 05, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

25.1. Coralie's Task:In my Backyard

In the Fall 2010 challenge, Sheila asked us to look at things on the exterior of a house. The building I live in has some unusual external attachments. Here is a list of things I find outside my back door. Except for the first (which is hanging outside my window), I can access all these without going down to street level or crossing a street.

a. An anchor
b. A bank
c. A building site
d. A food court, restaurants, bars, cafes etc
e. A football stadium
f. A gymnasium
g. A needle and thread
h. A television screen
i. A television studio

Choose 2 of the above features and read one book for each (two books in total) as follows.

a. Read a book which is set, at least in part, on a ship or boat.
b. Read a book where a main character works in the finance industry.
c. Read a book where a character is a builder, or in which someone is having some building work done.
d. Read a book where a main character works in the food preparation industry.
e. Read a book with a main character who is a professional sportsperson.
f. Read a book where a main character is trying to improve their health.
g. Read a book featuring sewing of some sort.
h. Read a book based on a television show or one on which a television show is based.
i. Read a book where a main character works in the film or television industry.

When you post, you must indicate which features you chose and, unless it's obvious from the title, give a brief explanation of how your books fit the task.

25.2. Sandy's Task: Your Bucket List

Not that we won’t all live forever………….. but most of us have something that we’d like to make sure we do in our lifetimes.

A. Think of something that’s on your personal “bucket list” and read a book that somehow relates to it. This can be anything you personally want to do (Travel to a particular place? Cook your way through Julia Child? Learn to speak Japanese?) and the book must somehow relate to that. (Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris, Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen or My Life in France, Memoirs of a Geisha). This does NOT have to be something grand and significant (end hunger, achieve world peace), just something that you would like to do. It should be something at least potentially do-able – I’d love to be a kid again and have magical abilities and attend Hogwarts, but I can’t say that that is realistically on my bucket list!

In your post, briefly explain what it is that you would like to do and how the book relates to it.

AND

B. Read a book from the list of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die. Here’s a link to a spreadsheet that lists the updated (2010) version of the list. 1001 Books spreadsheet If you’d like to go to the official “1001” website, here’s the link - http://1001beforeyoudie.com/. I found the spreadsheet easier to use for finding the books on the list.

(If you want, you can download the spreadsheet and keep track of the books you’ve read from the list, but that isn’t required for the task)

If reading this entire list is on your personal bucket list, you can use a second book from this list for Part A.

25.3. Mrs. Soule's Task: A Better World

I’ve been participating in the Seasonal Reading Challenge for a year now, and out of the dozens of books we’ve read, my favorites are the fiction and non-fiction about people who dedicate themselves to serving others and improving life for everyone. My inspiration for this task is those who see life as a mission and I hope it inspires you to find (or keep on with!) your own life calling!

The following definitions of “better world” professions are summarized from 150 Best Jobs for a Better World by Laurence Shatkin:

• Improving health – doctors, nurses, therapists
• Improving safety – crime-fighters, fire-fighters, military
• Improving social order and well-being – spiritual leaders, counselors, social workers
• Increasing knowledge – teachers, scientists
• Protecting the natural environment – ecologists, environmental activists

For this challenge, you will read two books.

Book A. Read a fiction title where a main character works in one of these areas.

Book B. Read a non-fiction title about one of these areas. This can include a biography of someone working in these areas.

If the profession of a character in a novel or subject matter of a non-fiction title is not apparent in the Goodreads description of either book, please note the information when you post your completed task.

25.4. Helen's Task: Science-Fiction/Fantasy Masters

There are many fine writers who create works under this genre. Some authors have been designated as masters of their craft. For this task, you are asked to read books by two of these masters to experience the best of both science-fiction and fantasy.

A. The Science Fiction Writer's Association yearly designates one author as a life master for his/her body of work. This is titled "The Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award". Choose one of these authors and read one of his/her novels.
Damon Knight Award

AND

B. The World Fantasy Convention presents the World Fantasy Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Choose one of these authors and read one of his/her novels. World Fantasy Award

The authors do not have to be "new to you." Even if an author appears on both lists, you must read books by two different authors. If the book is by one of the authors listed, it does not have to be in the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genres. If the book is written by one of the listed authors, but under a pseudonym, you can use it for this task, but if this is not clearly indicated on the main book/author page, you must provide a link to a source that shows that the book you read is by an author on the list.

25.5. Gayla's Task: March Madness

Every March my mother spends hours watching the NCAA basketball tournament. I, on the other hand, spend hours following the Morning News Tournament of Books. This task celebrates both forms of March Madness. You have three options:

A. If you're like my mom and you can't get enough of college basketball, read two books about basketball. The books can be either fiction or non-fiction. This Goodreads list will get you started: Tales From the Hardwood

OR

B. If you're like me and you become obsessed with the Tournament of Books every year(or, if you didn't know about the Tournament before, but would like to become obsessed by it!), read two books that have been part of the tournament's brackets since it started in 2005. You can read two books from the same year or books from two different years. Here's a link to the lists for each year for the Tournament of Books: Tournament of Books lists

OR

C. If you follow or would like to follow both tournaments, or you don't follow either, then read one book about basketball and one book from the Tournament of Books.

For options B and C, please indicate on which year's list your book appeared.

25.6. Jennifer N's Task: It’s All About Australia and Oceania

Choose 2 of the options

1. Flooding in Australia has been widespread and devastating this spring. It has been the wettest spring on record. There has also been a devastating earthquake in New Zealand. Read a novel where the weather or a natural disaster has a significant impact on the plot or where one of the main characters works outdoors (such as farmer, rancher, builder). Example: Sing Them Home,The Grapes of Wrath, A Town Like Alice, The Poisonwood Bible.

2. Read a book by an author whose initials are found in the word AUSTRALIA – they do not have to be sequential - initials can be in any order, each initial in the word can only be used once in a name. For example, A could be used 3 times since it appears 3 times in AUSTRALIA, but S can only be used once.

3. Read a book that has one of the following words in the title: island, south, southern, open, down, under, out, back, coral, great, reef, gold, spring(s), opera, house, beach(es). Plurals, possessives, and words containing these words may be used.

4. Read a book that is set in Australia or another country in Oceania.

5. Read a book that is written by an author from Australia or other country in Oceania.

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Mar 14, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

30.1. Cheryl's Task: Literature Map By Gender

Using literature-map.com choose one of your favorite authors of either gender and enter it. When the results come up, choose 2 new authors who you have never read before and who are of the opposite gender from yourself. Read one book by each of these authors.

For instance,if I enter Janet Evanovich, I will have James Patterson and Jasper Fforde on my map. If I have never read these authors before, I can read a book by each of them.

When posting, please indicate who your initial author was.

30.2. Sheila's Task: Sheila’s Guilty Pleasures

One of my guilty pleasures is watching “reality” television and two of my favorite shows are American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. For this task you will need to read 2 books whose titles (no series titles please) or authors names match either the first or last names of the winners of these two shows. In the case of DWTS you can also use the names of the winners' professional dance partners since some of the winners have difficult to match names. Also for DWTS we are going by the United States winners only please. One book from the American Idol winner list and one book from the DWTS list. Please note when posting which show it is from and which winner you are using. The entire first or last name must be intact within the title or author name. For example you could not use a book by author Mary Higgins Clark for Kelly Clarkson but you could use a book by an author named Leeland for Lee DeWyze since the entire name Lee is intact and spelled the same within the name. Good reading and have fun! Oops – gotta go – Idol is ON!

Here are the list of winners:

American Idol Winners

1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Ruben Studdard
3. Fantasia Barrino
4. Carrie Underwood
5. Taylor Hicks
6. Jordin Sparks
7. David Cook
8. Kris Allen
9. Lee DeWyze

Dancing With the Stars United States version - Winners and their partners.

1 Kelly Monaco and her partner Alec Mazo
2 Drew Lachey and his partner Cheryl Burke.
3 Emmitt Smith and his partner Cheryl Burke.
4 Apolo Anton Ohno and his partner Julianne Hough
5 Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough
6 Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark Ballas
7 Brooke Burke and Derek Hough
8 Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas
9 Donny Osmond and his partner Kym Johnson
10 Nicole Scherzinger and her partner Derek Hough
11. Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough

30.3. Donna Jo's Task: Yours, Mine, and Ours

A. Read a book with the word Your(s), My or Mine, or Our(s) in the Title;

B. Read a book with a blended family (Children, Steps, and/or Halfs) in it. Books may be fiction or nonfiction and may involve adult step or half siblings. Examples: Imperfect Birds, Undead and Unreturnable, Other People's Children, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Stepparenting

Family relationships involving adoptions or extended families (for example, children being raised by grandparents) do not work for this task.

If the family's blended relationship is not apparent in the Goodreads description, please note the information when you post your completed task.

30.4 Dlmrose's Task: Like I Needed an Excuse.......

April 7th is No Housework Day. (yeah!) So we'll read instead. Read 2 books.

A. Read a non-fiction book about an interest or activity you would pursue instead of housework- it could be a book about a sport, a hobby, history etc.
AND
B. Since the spring cleaning needs to be done anyway, read a book prominently featuring a domestic worker: cleaning lady, housekeeper, maid, governess, nanny, butler, chauffeur, household cook, dog walker, laundress, nursemaid, etc. If the character's household position is not apparent in the Goodreads description, please note the character and position when you post.

30.5. Delicious Dee's task: “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, or a book”

One of the things I love the best about Goodreads is the chance to look at what other people have read in the past. You will read two books for this task. The following members (Spring Birthdates) have a birthday during the Spring Challenge period. Read two books, from different members’ "read" shelves, whose birthdays fall closest to yours date wise.

If my birthday is the 20th of the month, for instance, then I would read a book from someone whose birthday is also on the 20th. If no one has a birthday on my date, then I would read books from members whose birthdates were closest to my birthdate. For example, if my birthday was the 22nd and there were no birthdays on the 22nd, but there were birthdays on the 21st or 23rd, I would read books from the shelves of two of those SRC members.

If your birthday falls during the course of this season's challenge, you cannot read a book that is on your read shelf (no re-reads). A book may appear on your to-read shelf, but it must also appear on the "read" shelf of one of the SRC members with a spring birthday whose lists you are using for this task.

Required: Post your date as well as the members whose shelves that you used when posting. You do not need to post your complete birthday, only the date, i.e. 3rd or 20th.

30.6 Melanie's Task: Myth-behaving Greeks

I ran into my high school Ancient Greek teacher last week (and no, did not put my car in reverse to do so again, lol), whose class, despite my distaste for the verb tenses, was one of my favorites. My favorite courses were the civilization ones where we learned everything from hygiene to mythology.

Therefore, for this task, you must read 2 books. Go to Dice Roller and roll the dice ONCE and read:

Book A
1. Zeus: a book where a main character is royal, or with a crown/tiara or scepter on the cover (cover must be posted for the cover option).
2. Hera: a book about family or family relationships.
3. Poseidon: a book where a main character works/lives/depends on water (fisherman, ship captain, Navy, Marine, mermaid, pirate,...)
4. Hades: A book where a main character is considered dead (ghost, angel, vampire) or with "ghost", "grave", "cemetery" or "bones" in the title (variations work: i.e. "graveyard", "ghostly",..)
5. Ares: A book where a main character is in the military or with a mercenary outfit or is a veteran.
6. Demeter: A book where a main character is a farmer, rancher or lives off the land.

Book B
1. Aeschylus: read a book considered a tragedy/drama, or a sad book (For some ideas, you can check out Saddest Books1> and Books That Made You Cry, but it is not required that you use a book from one of these lists.)
2. Sappho: Read a romance
3. Herodotus: Read a historical fiction book (set 30+ years before it was written)
4. Homer: Read a fantasy or sci-fi (futuristic setting or set 30+ years after it was written)
5. Socrates: Founder of the dialectic method of learning, teach yourself something new by reading a non-fiction book on a subject of interest.
6. Aristophanes: Read a comic or humorous book. For instance, books from the Best Humorous Books and Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud lists work, but it is not required that you use a book from one of these lists.
Please explain the connection between your books and the categories when you post, if it is not obvious from the title or cover.

Task 30.7. Diane's Task: Title Connections

For this task, you will have to read two books, both from either Option A or from Option B.

Option A. Read two books. The first book must end with the same word or group of words as the beginning of the second book. You may disregard words such as “the”,” a”, and “an”. Subtitles are optional. Books may not be from the same author. (Examples: A Bend in the Road and The Road to Wellville; Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and The Prince of Tides; The Iron Witch and Witch Child; One Red Rose and The Red Rose Girls)

OR

Option B. Read two books. The title of the first book must be completely found within the title of the second book. (Examples: New Moon and Emily of New Moon; Best Friends and Best Friends Forever; Room and A Room With a View). If the title of the first book has more than one word, the words of the title do not have to appear consecutively within the second title and do not have to appear in the same order as in the title of the first book.(Example: That Summer and That Camden Summer; Red Rose and Rose Sees Red). Subtitles are optional. Books may not be from the same author.

message 7: by Sandy (last edited Apr 21, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

50 Point Task

MsOPP (Julie)'s Task: "I Need to Know What Happens Next!"

I've always been a sucker for series. I read the first book, then WHAM! I'm reading the 19th book in the series 2 weeks later, upset that I have to wait at least half a year before the next book in the series is released. So the challenge is simple. Read 3 books in a series. The caveat is that reread books don't count.

You do not have to start at the first book of the series, but you do need to read 3 books in the series in successive order. For instance, if if you've already read books 1 and 2 in a series, you can read books 3, 4, and 5 for this task.

Trilogies are fine as long as you've never read any of the 3 books. Spinoff series do not count as a "continuation" of a series. "In between" books, such as Dark-Hunter Christmas do not count for this task. The series number listed in the Goodreads title will be used for this task.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.