readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > time travel

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments i'm on an sf kick right now and just finished reading blackout and all clear by connie willis where people from the future went back in time to the london blitz in world war 2. i would like to find a book where time travellers go back in time to when dinosaurs ruled the earth. it could either be serious or have some comedic elements.

is this the kind of thing you want, karen?

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
this is perfect - it is really whatever you want. this is exciting to me!!

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments ok, great! i would prefer it to be not too infantile as well.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 117 comments Harry Turtledove I think has something with time travel and dinosaurs. I am picturing covers I've seen but I can't remember the names or authors of the books.

message 5: by karen, future RA queen (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

i have not read this, but the plot matches what you are looking for, there is a sequel, and it has gotten some good reviews, some less-good. worth a shot, maybe?

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments it looks awesome...i've already ordered a copy...your first satisfied customer!!

message 7: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Feb 14, 2011 07:04PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments If you'd like more time travel that's not as far back as dinosaurs, maybe with fantasy elements, I have a few that I've liked....

message 8: by karen, future RA queen (new)

don't forget to come back after you've read it to let us know!!

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments Eh?Eh! wrote: "If you'd like more time travel that's not as far back as dinosaurs, maybe with fantasy elements, I have a few that I've liked...."

yeah sure, what are the titles and authors?

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments karen wrote: "don't forget to come back after you've read it to let us know!!"

oh, i will for sure, don't worry!

message 11: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
Merlin's Bones
Time Scout - a series, can get sillysillysilly, terrible covers, but the 2nd and the 3rd/4th (these are kind of like parts 1 & 2 of their own story) have really galloping plots.

message 12: by Bill (last edited Feb 14, 2011 07:26PM) (new)

Bill | 21 comments see, i've had 4 book recommendations already.

this is off to a good start, don't you think, karen?

message 13: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments It's off with a bang!

message 14: by karen, future RA queen (new)

yes!! i hope the matches work out and this thing can sustain itself - i want it to have longevity

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments i'm thinking this would be one of the more fun parts of being a librarian.

message 16: by karen, future RA queen (new)

it is one of the best parts of my current job, that's for sure. it beats cleaning up after people!

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg | 117 comments My favorite part of the job is watching people fight, I forget I've ever read anything when someone asks for a recommendation.

message 18: by Flannery, html whiz (last edited Mar 21, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) | 63 comments Mod
If anyone has any more recommendations, continue to write below this post.

In an effort to have every recommended author and book show up on the sidebar, here is a linked list of books and authors mentioned in this thread:

Books:
Blackout
All Clear
Footprints of Thunder
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
Merlin's Bones
Time Scout
Time Traveler's Wife
Outlander

Authors Mentioned:
Harry Turtledove

message 19: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2 comments Some of my favorites:

Time Patrol by Poul Anderson
The Time Patrol: dedicated to preserving the history they know.

Science fiction-y time travel stories:
In Another Country/Vintage Season
The X-President by Philip Baruth
Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt
The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
The Plot to Save Socrates by Paul Levinson

A Series of time travel novels that begins with:
In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker

For an excellent selection of shorter tales:
The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time by Barry N. Malzberg
The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century by Martin H. Greenberg

A Time travel book for those who don't usually read science fiction:
The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser

message 20: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelevard) | 15 comments we had another TT thread in which i pushed Time on My Hands on people and will do it again and again. dude goes back to the 1930s to make ronald reagan a film star so he never becomes president.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (susan87) | 2 comments What about The Time Traveler's Wife and The Outlander series? These would be classified more as romantic fantasy.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments so i had asked for a book whereby time travel would bring modern day humans into contact with dinosaurs, and karen recommended footprints of thunder. and what a great choice it turned out to be. i just read it a few days ago and it was just what i wanted, present day humans on earth at the same time as dinosaurs, with the added twist that the dinosaurs actually came forward in time to the present day. and there was all kinds of science in the book to explain how this could happen, but above all it was a great story with lots of action, people being eaten by t. rex, what more could you ask for. an unqualified success.

message 23: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelevard) | 15 comments Bill wrote: "what more could you ask for?"

nothing! i'ma read it.

message 24: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 31, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Time Spike is a good book - a max security prison gets pushed back in time to the era of dinos. I really enjoyed this one.

And another Cretaceous Dawn, about a very small group (scientist and other) who have an accident in a lab and end up in dinosaur times. To get home they have to travel to get to the spot they think will work, so they are adventuring through the landscape, running into various wildlife on the way. Interspersed with people back in current day trying to figure out where they are. Very good!

If you like Time Spike, another I really liked was 1632 by the same author - but no dinos -it's the beginning of a series, where a small coal mining town in West VA gets zapped back to the year 1632 - but plunked down in the middle of Germany/Europe of the time. An excellent read! The sequels get really involved in the changes the town's enlightened & educated (and armed!) Americans start making in medieval Europe.

message 25: by Bill (last edited Mar 31, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Bill | 21 comments thanks muchly for the recommendations, carolyn! i've just ordered both time spike and cretaceous dawn from bookdepository.com.i'm really looking forward to them both and will probably get the 1632 book later as well.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Wow I'm surprised no one has mentioned Connie's 2 other time travel books! To Say Nothing of the The Dog and The Doomsday Book - very different tone, Doomsday is one of my favorite books, sad but beautiful, and Dog had me laughing out loud. Can't remember his name but the guy in charge of the dept very much figures into Doomsday, and also gives some past background of the dept.

I'm checking out the other suggestions here, thanks!

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Lang (linzlang) | 3 comments Susan wrote: "What about The Time Traveler's Wife and The Outlander series? These would be classified more as romantic fantasy.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon"

while these don't go back to dinosaurs or anything i just had to add that i loved them both, especially the outlander series! i am eagerly awaiting book 8!! outlander basically has everything you could ask for in a book (except dinosaurs, sorry!) but it has historical elements, romance, time travel, action, mystery, intrigue...you can't really put it solidy into 1 genre.
and i'm glad i happend into this thread, i've now got tons of books i'm going to look up this weekend for my next amazon or thrift store spree! =)

message 28: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i would love to hear your time travel feedback here - which books worked, which ones didn't, etc...

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments hey karen, as i said in message 22, the book you recommended to me Footprints of Thunder, was awesome and exactly what i was looking for!!

message 30: by karen, future RA queen (new)

yes! i just wanted to know if there were any other ones - i am just preparing to write the paper, is all!

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill | 21 comments ah...good luck with your paper...as you're doing it. i'm sure it will be great!

message 32: by karen, future RA queen (new)

(: