Start by marking “Merlin's Bones” as Want to Read:
Merlin's Bones

Merlin's Bones

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In post-Arthurian England, ten-year old Amby and the troupe of traveling players he belongs to are on the run from a conqueror.  He has been gifted with second-sight, and when the troupe stumbles upon an unoccupied castle he is the only one in the group who senses the power that lies within the stone building. In the near future, the Fisher King, Mordred and Morgan le Fay ...more
Published May 15th 1996 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Merlin's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merlin's Bones

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian
An Interesting concept, and welcome addition to the Arthurian Camelot Mythos. I've been a fan of Saberhagen's since I read Empire of the East in High School in the early 1980's. I usually find his style very enjoyable and well flowing, however, I found that Merlin's Bones took some getting used to the flow and style. It started out slow for me but somewhere just before halfway it picked up speed until it smashed into a brick wall at the end.

In medieval times, sometime after the Days of King Arth
Moonlight
Apr 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ууф, свърши се. Много мъчно вървя. Навремето поредицата за берсерките ме грабна много и почнах книгата с големи очаквания, а то... действието върви някак хаотично, без смисъл и посока, разни герои се разкатават напред-назад като мухи без глави, а за капак действието, което вървеше в разказ от първо лице единствено число от гледните точки на различните герои, и всички повествования си приличаха като две капки вода, което и най- ми приседна. Нелогично е да четеш повествование в 1л.ед.ч. на 10-годи ...more
Cole
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Didn't like it
Emily
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Great world building, annoying plot, interesting but awkward characters. I liked the ideas in it but struggled to stay interested in the actual narrative.
Jeff Crosby
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to describe, which likely explains my prior hesitation to read it. It is an odd mix of time travel and Arthurian fantasy. At the same time, it does not disappoint. For about half the book I had no clue where it was actually headed. However, as I finally started to identify the characters, I began to see what Saberhagen had concocted. Some of the Arthurian characters are readily identifiable, but others are hidden for a time. This is a fun read, but knowing some Arthurian ...more
Ben
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
D.L. Morrese
Merlin wants to restore Camelot and jumps around in time trying to bring that about. It's an interesting idea for a story, but this one is disjointed. There are multiple POVs, no real protagonist, unclear motivations, convoluted sequences of cause and effect, and prose that often 'tells' the story in a distant and disinterested tone. It's not very engaging. I didn't care for it.
Kaitlin
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the characters were underdeveloped or flaky and motives behind certain character's intentions to revive Arthur were left out. It doesn't have a linear timeline, so you really have to keep up with what is/was happening throughout the story.
Cindy
Feb 23, 2015 added it
I read this back in the 1990's when I was reading z lot of Fred Saberhagen. I had always enjoyed Arthurian legend-based stories, and this, although not your typical Arthurian story, had a unique and fascinating twist.
David Read
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Not bad, quite some distance from Saberhagen's best work.
Sort of a re-imagining of the Merlin/Camelot/Arthur legend with some 20th-century stuff mixed in. A bit disjointed, and the wrapup at the end isn't very satisfying.

Liked it but didn't love it.
Fussnik
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
a storyteller. couldn't stop reading. but a little lacking not sure in what. if you love the matter of Britain, you'll enjoy this version of the song.
Andrew Herbert
Oct 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
meh
Not compelling, not interesting. A mess.
Michelle Stevens
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am not one for talking negatively but this book is extremely slow and having finished it I still don't understand what it was about. it just doesn't make any sense.
Mary
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting take on the Arthurian legend.
Ahimsa
Jun 21, 2014
Scott
Mar 22, 2012
Bill
rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2016
Apr 26, 2015
Mike Shultz
Apr 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Excalibur!
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • Arthur Rex
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • Parsival Or A Knight's Tale (Parsival #1)
  • High Queen
  • The Pendragon
  • Merlin's Ring
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Road to Camlann. The Death of King Arthur
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Story of the Champions of the Round Table
Fred Saberhagen was an American science fiction and fantasy author most famous for his ''Beserker'' and Dracula stories.

Saberhagen also wrote a series of a series of post-apocalyptic mytho-magical novels beginning with his popular ''Empire of the East'' and continuing through a long series of ''Swords'' and ''Lost Swords'' novels. Saberhagen died of cancer, in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saberhagen was
More about Fred Saberhagen...