What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Sci-Fi, people stayed in tubes? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) | 9 comments I read this story years ago, and I remembered I really liked it. I can't even remember remotely the title or who it's by, but I remember this part of the book.

Two characters, I believe, went to this city and found a lot of people in tubes. These tubes induce the people in it to sleep. They dream the dreams they want, where it becomes life to them. They get fed and taken care of, but they grow old because they never want to wake up since everything in the dream goes the way they want it to go. They eventually die in their tubes.
I remember the characters talking about how it's really hard to wake up because you're just loving the dream.

Anything would be helpful! Thanks.

message 2: by Slinkyboy (new)

Slinkyboy | 35 comments This may not be what you're looking for because some of the details don't quite match, but this sounds a whole lot like the story "Cocoon" by Keith Laumer. You can find it in

Future Imperfect.

message 3: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments The New Twilight Zone segment "Dreams for Sale" (season 1, episode 2) is similar, only from the point of view of a sleeper.

message 4: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) | 9 comments Found it, it was one of the Pendragon books. The Reality Bug, I believe. :D