Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Need New Paranormal Book!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christen (GoldiloxReads) (last edited Feb 06, 2011 09:37AM) (new)

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 57 comments Barnes and Noble is having a "Buy three romance books get the fourth for free" special right now...and of course I jumped right into the paranormal romance section to choose my 4 books! BUT, apparently a lot of the books on my TBR list are considered UF on B&N and I only have 2 romance books in my cart! Help! Any suggestions for a paranormal romance series would be very appreciated!

Here's some of my favorite series right now:
Fever series
Night Huntress series
Demonica series
Mercy Thompson
Sookie Stackhouse series
Kate Daniels series
Chicagoland Vampires

Already in my "cart":
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters #1)
First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World #1)

message 2: by Lisa M (last edited Feb 06, 2011 09:52AM) (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Dark-Hunter, Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lords of the Underworld, Gena Showalter
Immortals After Dark,
Kresley Cole
Midnight Breed, Lara Adrian
Argeneau Vamps, Lara Adrian
Love at Stake, Kerrelyn Sparks
Guardians of Eternity, Alexandra Ivy

That will get you started. I'll post the first books in my next post.

message 3: by Lisa M (last edited Feb 06, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0.5 Prequel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark-Hunter "prequel")
Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark-Hunter #1)
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1) by Alexandra Ivy
Since you already have First Drop of Crimson in your cart, I'd also recommend Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I never know what category books are in but one of the two best romances I have ever read and I would assume is considered paranormal is the Tairen Soul series, first book being Lord of the Fading Lands

I read them all (5) in December, read another book or two and picked up this book again and re-read the entire series - half way through the fifth book and I will read them again in the future. LOVE story like no other.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Hi Christen-

I have a series you might want to to a peek at if you like vampires: The Dark Kiss Trilogy.

My Love Eternal

A Second Chance At Forever

Let me know what you think!!

Liz

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish (csmaxwell) | 4 comments I just read "First Grave on the Right"....new book that was just released. I gave it 5 stars and am looking forward to reading the rest as they come out.
Darynda Jones is the author.

message 7: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Feb 06, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I think you would like Karen Chance, both series are great. Also all three Richelle Mead's series are great! Both of these authors' series. Have characters that you follow through the series, instead of every book on the series being about a different couple.

message 8: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments PSY/Changling series by Nalini Singh
Georgina Kincaid by Richelle Mead
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

They are all really good series.
happy reading

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments Have you read the aisling grey series by Katie MacAliater? They're funny and fast paced and Drake is super hot.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Christen. :)

What sort of book are you interested in? Do you mind a bit of erotica in your reads? I'm a big fan of almost all of Christine Feehan's series, and here's a few of them you should definitely check out if you're interested.

The Carpathians:
This is a really long series dealing with "vampires" in a sense. If you like shapeshifting, possessive males with power over the elements, you should check this series out. The first book is "Dark Prince".

Ghostwalkers:
This series is more about military men and secret experiments, as well as explosive chemistry. I recommend this series if you like fiery heroines, conspiracy theories and explosive action. The first book is called "Shadow Game".

Drake Sisters:
The Drake Sisters series is about a family of seven magical sisters and their non-magical, still dashing-as-ever heroes. This also deals with conspiracies, Russian spies, but the main element in this series is the feminine side to the paranormal. The men aren't useless, but they're not the main attraction. The first book in this series is "Magic In The Wind".

Other good reads by Christine Feehan are "Lair of the Lion", "The Scarletti Curse", and novellas such as "Rocky Mountain Miracle" and "After the Music" in her novella anthology "A Christine Feehan Holiday Trilogy".

Hope you like them, if you read them. ;)

message 11: by Suz (new)

Suz Carlin wrote: "Hi Christen. :)

What sort of book are you interested in? Do you mind a bit of erotica in your reads? I'm a big fan of almost all of Christine Feehan's series, and here's a few of them you should d..."

A "bit" of erotica in Feehan's work? Well, it's there but I wouldn't call it a bit.

She's also started a spin off series of the Drake Sisters world. The first in the series is called Water Bound.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Suz wrote: "Carlin wrote: "Hi Christen. :)

What sort of book are you interested in? Do you mind a bit of erotica in your reads? I'm a big fan of almost all of Christine Feehan's series, and here's a few of th..."

XD Heh, well, it's not nearly as bad as Cheyenne McCray's erotica, not nearly as crazy or crass. At least Feehan does a good job of keeping it plot-based and "romantic" to a point. I read Cheyenne McCray's Magic series, and I loved the plot, hated the erotica because it was too nitty-gritty dirty and seemed like smut.

A spin-off? I wonder what that's about? :3 Sounds interesting!

message 13: by Suz (new)

Suz I can't speak to the spin off. I've picked it up to read it twice and it doesn't hold my interest.

I have my issues with Feehan. I find her sex scenes repetitive and she has a couple of terms she uses that snatch me out of suspension of disbelief and shake me by the throat ("creamy" should not be used to describe female body fluids - it reminds me of "smegma" and that's just gross). In truth it's the story and plot in Feehan's work that I prefer to the sex; and I suppose you and I would disagree on whether or not nitty-gritty smut is acceptable. Without having read any I can't say for sure, but I suspect I'd probably be ok with it. I like smut. Smut has it's place. ;)

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 07, 2011 08:40PM) (new)

Suz wrote: "I can't speak to the spin off. I've picked it up to read it twice and it doesn't hold my interest.

I have my issues with Feehan. I find her sex scenes repetitive and she has a couple of terms sh..."

True. I don't read Feehan for the sex scenes, mostly for the plot. And I admit, Dark Magic, I found to have needless scenes spaced out every few pages, it seemed like (thus it was not my favorite out of the series, not that that series is my favorite among her others, anyway). And, like you said, I suppose smut has its place, but I'd much rather read about Darkwolf's obsession with Silver than his needless bouts with the demon Junga (it was almost like "Ok, we get it. They have sex, they're sorta falling in love. Move on now.") It took them until the final book to really get into their "love" and everything before that was just carnal lust.

But then, again, that's just my view on it. XD

Smut does have its place, but, in my humble opinion, it will never compare to riveting, edge-of-your-seat plot, which Feehan packs a lot into. ;) But that's just my choice. Heh heh. ^^

(Though I have to admit, the Carpathian series up to where I've read (which is only the 6th book, so I'm not very far) is kinda repetitive... That's why I prefer the Ghostwalkers and Drake Sisters series.)

message 15: by Suz (new)

Suz Carlin wrote: "(Though I have to admit, the Carpathian series up to where I've read (which is only the 6th book, so I'm not very far) is kinda repetitive... That's why I prefer the Ghostwalkers and Drake Sisters series.)"

See, that's the thing. I started with the Carpathians. My first Feehan book was Dark Slayer (Carpathian #20). I thought it was great so I read the entire series from the beginning - back-to-back - and wanted to commit seppuku by the time I was done with the series. I kept thinking "Dark Slayer was so good, surely this gets better..." and in truth it does improve a bit much, much later. But the improvement is sporadic. Feehan's Dark series (Carpathians) is pure romance through and through. I've written that she is such an imaginative world weaver and story teller that I feel her talent is a bit wasted in romance. I read her series slogging through the romances to get the tiny bits of long story arc, and for the characters (especially in the dark series). I think that's why I enjoyed the Drake Sisters so much, there is romance but it's not the primary thing going on. Ghostwalkers I can only take in small doses because of the romance factor. If I could read a Feehan book that was all story with six or eight really good romance/ erotic scenes I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. Instead with Feehan you get a book of steamy scenes and romance with five or six plot point scenes.

I really do have a love/ hate with Christine Feehan. hahaha

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Suz wrote: "Carlin wrote: "(Though I have to admit, the Carpathian series up to where I've read (which is only the 6th book, so I'm not very far) is kinda repetitive... That's why I prefer the Ghostwalkers and..."

I agree. :)

The first Feehan novels I read were Dark Prince and Dark Fire (Carpathians #1 and #6 respectively) at the same time, and there weren't too many connections I saw in them to make me think the whole thing ran together (of course I was in 7th grade at the time, so I really didn't understand half of what was going on in the books in the first place, heheh).

Then I got Lair of the Lion and fell in love with it; then came the Ghostwalkers, and they became my favorite series, and Drake Sisters is a close second. But I agree that the Carpathians didn't have too much plot, which I one of the reasons I've stopped reading them (the first reason being that I don't have the money to buy the rest of the books ^^;).

Have you read the Leopard series? I wonder if it's any good, but it seems a lot like the Carpathians in theory to me. I wouldn't know whether to recommend it or not.

message 17: by Suz (new)

Suz Carlin wrote: "SHave you read the Leopard series?..."

I've read a couple of them but they didn't hold my attention. I got through them ok, but didn't put them down wanting more.

There actually is a long story arc with the Carpathians, it's just slower than molasses to emerge and slower even than that to develop. Like I said, the books are romances and don't really pretend to be much else.

message 18: by Suz (new)

Suz @Carlin - not accepting messages? Hmmm...what a pity.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Suz wrote: "@Carlin - not accepting messages? Hmmm...what a pity."

Sorry, I'm quite new to the site. Haven't figured out all the odds and ends yet. ^^ Hopefully I can figure out how to fix that to receive messages. Hmmm.

message 20: by Dominque (new)

Dominque How is the Fever series in comparison to the Twilight Saga?

message 21: by Serena (new)

Serena | 27 comments Avatardp wrote: "How is the Fever series in comparison to the Twilight Saga?"

I wouldn't compare the two mainly because the fever series is Urban fantasy, and It's mainly about the fae or faeries. Its urban fantasy but the way its written isn't for YA or at the very least under 16? (my opinion). The twilight Saga is a YA paranormal romance series about Vamps and weres. Totally different. However, I've the mind to bend toward The fever series mainly because its for the mature readers. But, thats not to say Twilight isn't good; I like them both.

message 22: by Serena (new)

Serena | 27 comments Christen wrote: "Barnes and Noble is having a "Buy three romance books get the fourth for free" special right now...and of course I jumped right into the paranormal romance section to choose my 4 books! BUT, appare..."

Kresley Cole Immortal after Dark series...Not that the 1st book in this series was bad, because it wasn't, just different from what I've read at the time and so It was sorta rough for me to get thru. However, after that i've enjoyed the rest of them since.

Have you tried KMM Highlander series? It's very good!
Also JR ward- BDB series.

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

Hope that helps

message 23: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Still | 7 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I never know what category books are in but one of the two best romances I have ever read and I would assume is considered paranormal is the Tairen Soul series, first book being [book:Lord of the F..."

I bought this book on audible and I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. I'm waiting for the others to be sold as an audible.

I too would recommend it.