Harry Potter discussion

Books > When did you first read Harry Potter?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 488 (488 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

When did you first read the series? How old were you? Did you read them in order? Before or after the movies?

:)

I read the first three books when I was in 3rd grade (The Goblet of Fire hadnt been released yet) I was about 8 or 9. I read them the day afer i watched the first movie.

After watching the movie i was overly eager to find out what happend next.I actually read the second and third books then went back to the first.

I hated the wait between books lol

message 2: by Taneka (new)

Taneka (ninatravis) I was 28 when I first started the series. I had just seen Order of the Phoenix at the movies and I wanted to know what happened next. I read them out of order. I read Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows first, and then I started from the beginning. I am on book 6 reading it the 5th time around. I LOVE THE SERIES!

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 17 comments I had started the first book when i was nine, but u know how it starts kinda slow, and i actually got bored and stopped. but then, when i was like eleven i gave them another try. i had seen all the movies up to that point (which was the order of the phoenix). i read them all in order and completely fell in love!!!! i seriously would just read and read and read all day long!....and still do :)

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiadorasmith) I don't know when I started, actually...I think I was somewhere around 7. But now I've read the whole series ten times through!

message 5: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments I was in first grade and had seen the SS movie. My now deceased grandmother (may she rest in peace) bought me a copy of the book. I was never the same.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My teacher had the first 3 books on a shelf in her room but i had never looked at them until SS came out lol. I think its interisting to know how ppl got involved in Harry Potter and the diffrence in ages.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Hmmm..... 9..... Somewhere in 3rd grade. I remember the librarian got mad because I was "reading them "too slow" " which is not true because I am a very fast reader. I wish I had read them maybe a little later so that I would have gotten it more.... Buh eh, I don't mind re-reading them.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (itsmegan) It was in 3rd Grade. I think. Or 2nd. That's when I really started reading in general. And I'm a Sophomore now.

message 9: by Margie (new)

Margie | 15 comments It was probably around 1999. My step-daughter was 10 at the time and I remember seeing Jo on the Rosie O'Donnnel talkshow and raving about them. I like to read things that my girls enjoy or I think they might just to know what they are into. I have since gotten my 2 daughters to read them. My now 13 year old daughter started them when she was in 3rd grade and read them straight through and we went to the midnight release of DH together. My now 9 year old daughter started reading the books last year and is currently on Prisoner of Azkaban. I even have a 1 year old grand-daughter now and I can't wait to introduce her to the series as well!!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome! No one in my family have read the books :/ lol some of my friends have though :)

message 11: by AA (new)

AA | 85 comments I just started reading the series about a month or so ago. I'm fifteen :)

Right now, I'm currently a quarter of the way through The Goblet of Fire.

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 105 comments I starting reading the Harry Potter series in fifth grade when my friend recommended Order of the Phoenix for a book review task. Then dad bought HP7 (as a surprise) for me on the day it came out and I then decided to start from the beginning of the series. Has been in love with it ever since.

message 13: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (ayveetee) I read the books this summer for the first time. I had all of them on my bookshelf, but I had absolutely no interest. Then, my best friend showed me A Very Potter Musical on Youtube, and I instantly fell in love with the idea of a magical world. I went home and read the books. I finished all of them in two weeks, and have since then reread each book and then my favorite chapters!

message 14: by Eden (last edited Feb 06, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) I honestly haven't been into Harry Potter all that long. I didn't get into it when I was younger and I don't really know why.

I first started reading Harry Potter in the Summer of 2009. I borrowed the first two books from the library and after that I was hooked. My boyfriend bought the books that year for Christmas and I finished reading all of them last year sometime. Now I watch the movies, been to the movie theater to see the Half Blood Prince when it came out and went to a midnight showing of Deathly Hallows part. Plan on going to a midnight showing of Part 2 when it comes out as well.

message 15: by Mette (new)

Mette  (mettalie) | 3 comments I've been reading Harry Potter since I was eight (I think - it may be a year sooner), alas, half my life. My mom and I went a lot to the library, and I found the conver of the book quite interesting. I borrowed the first book and started reading, and after that day, I've been reading Harry Potter all the time! As I read the books before I saw the movies, I remember going to the movies with my dad to watch CoS, and explaining everything that was going on in a "whisper"... Harry Potter is such a huge part of my life.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) I too remember watching J.K. Rowling on the Rosie O'Donnell show talking about the books and as a librarian, I remember quickly writing down the title to "check out" later. I then remember buying the first book at the bookstore, taking it home and starting to read it. I'm not really a fan of fantasy books with a lot of characters so I remember stopping after the first couple of chapters. Luckily, I got bored a couple of days later and picked up the book and started to read it again. I quickly fell in love.

I remember going to the principal of our school the next day and telling him that not only did I need permission to go out and buy the book but I needed to buy multiple copies because the book was going to be HUGE! (which I was right about needing the extra copies)

I was on the lookout for the next books when they were published....even going to the midnight opening to buy copies for my libraries because I knew the demand for them was so strong.

On a personal note, my oldest son started to read the series at the same time I did (he was 11, the same age as Harry). My daughter started soon after and we would fight each other over who got to read the book first when they were released.

When the last book was released, my daughter was playing in a state tournament for softball. I didn't want to buy the book at that time because I was scared it would distract her from the games (and I would want to read the book instead of watching the games). But...I just couldn't stop myself and went at midnight to the local Dillon's store and bought a copy. The next day, I went to the state tournament with the book hidden in my purse until I looked into the stands and saw so many people with their own copies frantically reading while the games were going on. There were people of all ages glued to the book....so I felt this overwhelming sense of community as I reached in and pulled out my own book.

I stayed up all night reading the book which was a very good thing because the next day, the book "mysteriously disappeared" and was found in my oldest son (now a senior in HS) room and then "mysteriously disappeared" from his room to be found in my daughters. They kept stealing the book from each other every chance they could get so I went and bought another copy. Then, my son took the book to the local swimming pool where he was a lifeguard to finish the last chapter and I never saw the book again as it was read by one and then all summer long at the swimming pool.

I now keep the copies by my bed and whenever I need something to read, I will grab one of the books, open the book at random, and "revisit" the stories.

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith | 21 comments when i started kindergarten

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ginny *de epic ninja* wrote: "when i started kindergarten"

Kindergarten?!

Resident Optimist (residentoptimist) | 40 comments I started reading the series when I was about 8 O_O It was a slow start at first, then I became obsessed. It's a part of my childhood, I grew up waiting for the books to come out

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) I started it when I was 18? before the 1st movie came out and i was hooked in the first chapter, its probably my favorite series of all time, I have reread several of the books.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments my mum started reading it to me when i was 5, but by the time i was 5/6, my sister had been born and my mum was usually too tired, so i just started reading it myself :) im glad i read it so early, cos it means i grew up with it, and harry ron and hermione were my best friends and that :) so its dominated like two thirds of my life haha

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments I started reading them the year they came out in 99. my religious grandma had to read them first to see if they were appropriate.she did, Thank the Lord!!!!
i have happily been in love with HP series ever since <3

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana I started reading Harry Potter when I was about 9.. That's 10 years ago so around 2000/2001.

message 24: by Christine (last edited Feb 25, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Christine (christinenc22) | 42 comments I'm 13 and im actually reading them right now for the very first time, I'm now on Deathly Hallows! My parents wanted me to be old enough to know thag magic wasn't real, but I had to almost plead to read them! But my Dad was all good with it as along as my mom knew and was okay that I was reading them. He's seen the movies before me, so right now we are having a harry potter movie series! Thank The Lord and my Dad!!!

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I think I started reading them when I was in first grade. I didn't really get into them until third grade though. So I was about nine when I read all the books that were out at the time. And I loved them. I've loved them ever since. I'm getting rather bummed that the series will be complete, as in books and movies all out, in less about five months. The wait for me has always been part of the fun. Anticipation makes it all a lot more exciting. For years now, there has always been another Harry Potter to look forward to. I'm not sure what I'm gonna think when it is all over.

message 26: by Sayshisweetie (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments I read the first book in 2nd grade after my dad tricked me into seeing the 1rst movie. I had wanted nothing to do with them before. Then i fell in love with them! i read them all the time, like no other books between grades 2-5! I still love them! I read them so much i could quote the book and answer any question on it. I still probably could! :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I was 10 when I started the series. My 13-year-old sister had just read them. At first they didn't make much sense to me, so she helped me out. I've read the series 4 times and intend read them every year. I watched the movies after I read the books.

message 28: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (yuvaine) | 58 comments I don't really remember how old I was when I started the series.... I watched the first four movies, I didn't bother with the books much. Then in summer vacations, when I went to my cousin's, I saw the 5th part and decided to give it a shot... I finished it in three days and well, after that I read 6th and 7th parts and then 1st, 2nd, 4th and 3rd(pretty jumbled up, huh?)

PS: Now I love the books and don't bother with the movies(much).... HBP was an epic failure!

message 29: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Mar 27, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Epic failure? I'd have to disagree with you on that since I do love the HBP film, but I agree that the books are more fulfilling. When you say that you don't bother with the movies much, do you mean you haven't seen DH1?

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I agree with Pandy. I don't think any of the HP movies were epic failures, but I do like the books a whole lot more than the movies. I'm often disappointed with the movies, but I still like them a lot.
@ Pal: :D Definitely can see why that would be frustrating.

message 31: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (yuvaine) | 58 comments Pandy wrote: "Epic failure? I'd have to disagree with you on that since I do love the HBP film, but I agree that the books are more fulfilling. When you say that you don't bother with the movies much, do you me..."

Yeah, I haven't seen DH1 yet! I'm surprised at that myself(Before, I saw them the first day they were out)! I'm just not interested much! When I think about it, its probably because of HBP. I was really disappointed with that movie.... There were only two-three scenes I liked(the cave scene, and WWW shop).... I mean, the death eaters attacking the Burrow(the headquarters of the OOTP) and then all of them escaping! Ridiculous! Still, I will see DH1.... Maybe I'll buy the dvd......

@Pal: haha hilarious(the story about how your life changed)! For me, Harry Potter was the book that introduced me to fantasy(I was already into reading).... But I didn't have to wait much! I started reading a little late(DH was almost out by then)! So it all worked out pretty smoothly for me ;)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't say that HBP was an epic failure, but, I watched it with my Dad, and it was super dark. it was pretty close to the book though.

message 33: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (yuvaine) | 58 comments Pal wrote: "Yeah, I haven't seen DH1 either. I don't see the movies right away, I wait to see what other people say about them... then maybe, when it's on sale or something, I might buy the DVD. I have all the..."

Haha yeah! I do see them eventually, but I'm not that excited! Plus in the theaters over here, they are released dubbed, and I prefer them in English -_-

Ashby wrote: "I wouldn't say that HBP was an epic failure, but, I watched it with my Dad, and it was super dark. it was pretty close to the book though."

Close to the book! I wouldn't say that! They skipped so many of the memories! But that happens with most of the movies-based-on-books.... The only movie I've seen that followed the book was LOtR!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Yes, it did skip many things, but in comparison to the OotP, it is considerably more accurate. The OotP movie infuriated me it was sooooooo messed up!!!! But wasn't DH1 one of the most accurate of them all?

message 35: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments You know, the first script for HBP actually included all of the memories, but the director said they wouldn't be able to do all of them. And you can see why, the movie was already pretty long. I was okay with those cuts, but I was frustrated that Neville wasn't in it much. I mean, he's kind of a big deal in the last movie and they didn't develope him any further. Just my own opinion.

message 36: by Swati (new)

Swati Singh | 21 comments Megan wrote: "It was in 3rd Grade. I think. Or 2nd. That's when I really started reading in general. And I'm a Sophomore now."

I THOUGHT YOU STARTED TOO EARLY .ITS PRETTY MUCH INTERSTING AT THAT STAGE . ALTHOUGH I STARTED WHEN I WAS IN 9 STANDARD . BUT TILL TODAY I AM DAM CRAZY ABOUT THE SERIES AND ITS PART OF MY LIFE .
HEY TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT RUMOURS OF HARRY'S NEW SECTRET GIRLFRIEND ??

message 37: by Harish (new)

Harish Challapalli (harishchallapalli) | 4 comments I saw the first five movies and then read the books. I was 21 when i read the books first time Til now i read the series 7 times. I couldnt read any other fiction. This series took me to a new world.

message 38: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (bombonluver) | 1 comments I'm actually still reading them! After i finished the first one in December it became obvious I was going to be a Harry Potter lover and I am. I wish I listened to my friend when she told me to read them in like third grade and then in seven grade again, i just wouldn't budge. Idk why but i really didn't want to read them. Now i see that was a really big mistake! I'm watching the movies i read the books. (I'm currently on the sixth book on chapter 18)

message 39: by Nike (new)

Nike Linarto | 2 comments I started reading HP when I was 17. One of my friend recommended SS and she insisted to lend it to me *thank God :) After I finished reading the 1st book, I fell in love with HP right away. I insisted to borrow the 2nd and 3rd books from her *LOL! I finished three books for just about 1 week. After the 4th book was out, I bought it coz I can't wait for my friend to finish it first! Now I have the complete series and have finished it 4 times :)
The most accurate movie for me is SS, maybe bcoz it was the thinnest book so they don't need to cut it a lot. But my favourite movie is PoA, when Harry discovered that he had a godfather, which was his father's best friend.

message 40: by Nike (new)

Nike Linarto | 2 comments I started reading HP when I was 17. One of my friend recommended SS and she insisted to lend it to me *thank God :) After I finished reading the 1st book, I fell in love with HP right away. I insisted to borrow the 2nd and 3rd books from her *LOL! I finished three books for just about 1 week. After the 4th book was out, I bought it coz I can't wait for my friend to finish it first! Now I have the complete series and have finished it 4 times :)
The most accurate movie for me is SS, maybe bcoz it was the thinnest book so they don't need to cut it a lot. But my favourite movie is PoA, when Harry discovered that he had a godfather, which was his father's best friend.

☆♪Taylor♪☆ (taybrookeg) | 151 comments my dad started reading them to me when i was 2. i didn't understand them, but i fell in love with them from the start. he read the first 3 books to me. then, when i turned 6, he let me read them on my own. he didn't let me read the fourth until i was 7. from there, i read them all in order.

message 42: by Lzdboy (new)

Lzdboy | 7 comments i started reading in 3rd grade when i was 8

message 43: by Gail (new)

Gail | 28 comments I started reading when I was in my 40s before the 5th book came out. I read the first one and was hooked! I went to the 5th,6th and 7th book releases at midnight dressed as McGonagall. I have read all of them several times in English, 1-6 in Spanish, 1-3 in French and I teach the 1st book in Spanish in my class. We make origami owls, drink butterbeer, do numerology with our names, stuidy science and philosophy, relate the stories to myths, list the foreshadows, have tea and scones and read our tea leaves, arre sorted into houses, make banners, have competitions for points, have to figure out clues (like in book one), and make videos. (plus more) I am such a pottermaniac. I've been to the Wizarding World 3 times and plan to go again in June...

message 44: by Simon (last edited May 06, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Simon (prince_myshkin) | 3 comments This is actually the first time I've been interested to ANSWER a thread in the Harry Potter forums. Usually the topics are so... uninteresting.

I actually never read Harry Potter until I turned 15, which was when I learned English. I had to wait for the last two books to be released. I remember buying a copy of the Half-Blood Prince at the Uconn campus bookstore and reading it the first night...

Alas, the story of me waiting for the Deathly Hallows was a lot less romantic, as at the age of 19 or 20 (can't remember) I downloaded a torrent off the internet and read it on my screen 2 days after it was released.

I eventually did buy the book.... And yes, I read all in order.

message 45: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments 2nd Grade

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (marspeach) | 5 comments I remember to the date! October 24, 1999. I was 12 years old and hooked from the first page- actually of Chamber of Secrets!

message 47: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 3 comments just after the fifth movie came out. yeah, i was pretty late cause i hated reading before then. now i love it, thanks to j.k.!

message 48: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) I read the first book when I was 9, and in the 4th grade. I absolutely loved it, and my teacher who was a complete Harry Potter nut actually printed permission slips and on a Saturday our whole class went and saw it when it came out. After that though, I wasn't interested in reading Chamber of Secrets. In December of 2009 I picked up the Sorcerers Stone and attempted to re-read it but put it down again. AND THEN in March of this year I picked it up once more, and I just started the Half Blood Prince last night. It's an amazing series so I don't know why some people have a hard time getting into it like I did, but I'm glad I finally got into it and I've made it this far. I am now a fan for life. <3

message 49: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments The first book was read to me in my 5th grade class,so I was about ten. After that I watched all the movies up until the Half blood prince. I decided then that I finally had to sit down and read all of the books, which I did in between classes, in less than two weeks I think. The books are better than the movies, but I still enjoy watching the movies. I could never get tired of watching them over and over again. I like that in a way I've grown up with the Harry Potter series. Its so sad to see that its over.

message 50: by Annamika (new)

Annamika I was 6 or 7 when the first book came out. But I started reading the first part when I was 8. I've been hooked ever since. I'm 20 now and I still read those books on a rainy day. They're absolutely brilliant! They've been a massive part of my childhood. Cannot imagine it without J.K. Rowling.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10