Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Have you ever thought you could see the future? Is time leaking?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments One of the most respected, senior and widely published professors of psychology, Daryl Bem of Cornell, has just published an article that suggests that people — ordinary people — can be altered by experiences they haven't had yet. Time, he suggests, is leaking. The Future has slipped, unannounced, into the Present. And he thinks he can prove it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/201...

What do you think?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't know, but I sure have had a lot more deja vu moments lately.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 04, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Witch! Witch! Witch!

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) This sounds like several Red Dwarf episodes.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) RandomAnthony wrote: "Burn Stacia at the stake! Witch!"

Been there, done that. It happened in the future.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn. I edited my post to be not so violent but Stacia must have seen it already in the future and moved quick enough to respond before I erased it. IN the past.

message 7: by Jammies (new)

Jammies RandomAnthony wrote: "Damn. I edited my post to be not so violent but Stacia must have seen it already in the future and moved quick enough to respond before I erased it. IN the past."

But does she weigh more than a duck?

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Slip, sliding away. Slip sliding away-ay. The nearer you're destination, the more you're slip sliding away.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Give Professor Daryl Bem credit for conceiving the most innovative excuse yet for premature ejaculation.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Ken wrote: "Give Professor Daryl Bem credit for conceiving the most innovative excuse yet for premature ejaculation."

There's no such thing as premature ejaculation. When it's time, it's time.

message 11: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments This reminds me of a set of experiments done by Holger Klintman, of the Dept of Psychology at Sweden's Lund University, in the early 80's which he showed what is called the presentiment effect. I found this in The Science of Premonitions by Dr. Larry Dossey.

He showed individuals a patch of color - red, green, blue or yellow - which was then followed by a word that was the name of one of those colors, but they didn't necessarily match. He was analyzing the time in between when the person to said the name of the color patch & then the color word. He asked the individual to "speak aloud the name of the patch of color shown to them as quickly as possible, and then speak aloud the name that followed as fast as they could. Klintman found that if the initial color patch matched the succeeding name, they could say the subsequent name quickly and accurately. But if the initial color patch mismatched the subsequent color name, the task became surprisingly difficult and frustrating and they spoke the subsequent color name more slowly."

"Klintman believes this effect represents what he called time-reversed interference, in which a later event somehow traveled backward in time, causing cognitive interference when the future stimulus was mismatched, and slowing down the first reaction time."