The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Fun & Games > Five Word Build-a-Story

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,262 (1262 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by T (last edited Feb 11, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Given five words or phrases and allowing multiple sentences in one paragraph, what can you come up with to advance a story?

Rules of the game:
1. Five words or phrases.
2. One paragraph.
3. Provide the next 5 words for the next player.

First five words:
a. bagel
b. clown shoes
c. umbrella
d. chipmunk
e. xylophone

Anyone want to play?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960)
While eating a BAGEL,Uneeda Break rummaged in his closet searching for his boots. "What the heck are these CLOWN SHOES doing in here when I need my boots and my UMBRELLA? And what are all these nuts in the corner? Don't tell me I have an infestation of CHIPMUNKS? I don't have time for this since I have to get to the XYLOPHONE concert by 2:00".

message 3: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Nice Jill, thanks for playing!

Hmmm, perhaps we should add that Paragraph Person can provide the next 5 words in an odd-numbered entry....I'll edit the first paragraph, but to preserve the odd/even numbering, here's the 2nd set of words.

a. Xanax
b. Beaker
c. Smudge
d. The Bobs.
e. The Flugs

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 51 comments After locating his boots he noticed a SMUDGE on the left boot. "THE FLUGS" he cursed to his hamster named XANAX, "I only have twenty-minutes until I must perform." He grabbed his boots and ran to his kitchen to grab the BEAKER of Sneak-Clean but it wasn't there. Full of concern about his smudged boots he threw on some flip-flops and headed down to the corner store. Upon exiting his house he came to a sudden stop slamming into "THE BOBS" who were standing in his doorway holding a glass beaker of yellow liquid.

message 5: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 51 comments Here are you next five words

a) Reggae
b) Zebra
c) Aglet
d) Styrofoam
3) Haggis

message 6: by Jill (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:14PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "Hooray, the Bobs, my favorite REGGAE group" shouted Uneeda as he adjusted his ZEBRA striped scarf. "But why have you taken my Sneak-Clean? I need to use it to fix the AGLET on my shoelace." The Bobs replied in unison, "Such cheap shoes you wear, made of
STYROFOAM,I declare; We've come to your house, looking, for the HAGGIS you are cooking."

message 7: by Jill (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The next 5 words:

1. WalMart
2. Pencil
3. Garters
4. Humidifier
5. Chalk

message 8: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice This is great. Already funny!

Uneeda went straight to Walmart and picked up some garters to help keep her styrofoam shoes on.She also picked up some pencils to hold her hair up and some red chalk to paint her cheeks and her lips. Then she went to the $ store and found a humidifier for a buck which she thought would help to keep her hair kinky.

Did I get this right for my first try?

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) (Karen....great. If I understand the rules, now give us five words.....I think)

message 10: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments < Going great folks! This could be hysterical....

Now then - Karendenice, if you want, give us 5 new words as the next entry after mine will be an "odd" number and will keep to the odd/even pattern - this coming from the alphabetically-challenged one!

If Karendenice doesn't want to do the next 5 words, someone else can jump in....

If we break the odd/even pattern, oh well! >

message 11: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 508 comments I think the Odd Even concept is a bit challenging for some of us (me?)!

Paper
Shampoo
Regurgitation
Encyclopedia
Rinse

message 12: by Jill (last edited Jan 02, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "I may have to change these styrofoam shoes for PAPER ones since they are more eco-friendly," sighed Uneeda. He went back to the house to SHAMPOO his hair before the xylophone concert and discovered some REGURGITATION on the floor near his ENCYCLOPEDIA which was lying under that table where he had thrown it in anger for not being able to find an entry for xylophone composers. "Oh no, the haggis made the Bobs sick and now I will have to RINSE the carpet."

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Next 5 words:

1. Envelope
2. Arch supports
3. Bib
4. Icepick
5. Toadstool

message 14: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Uneeda tucked a BIB around each of The Bobs and stuffed her orthotic ARCH SUPPORTS into her paper shoes before jamming her feet into them. She picked up the ENVELOPE containing the concert tickets, grabbed her ICEPICK and ran out the door, decapitating a lonely TOADSTOOL in her front yard.

message 15: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Next 5

a. Ooompa Loompa
b. Taxi
c. Mouse
d. Zither
e. Football

message 16: by Katrina (last edited Jan 02, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

Katrina | 51 comments (I love how Uneeda is both a girl and a boy in the same story)

"Hey" cried a small voice from behind the decapitated toadstool, "that was my house you just destroyed. It has survived the senior FOOTBALL prank and the MOUSE run of 2010 only to be destroyed by an OOOMPA LOOMPA wielding an icepick." Not having time for any altercations Uneeda flagged down the nearest polka-dotted TAXI and asked the driver to take him to the concert hall. "Oi, you are that ZITHER player who I keep hearing about" the red-faced taxi driver ask. "Actually I play the xylophone but that is neither here nor there, now step on it!"

message 17: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 51 comments Next 5 (I want all Fs for this 5)

a) Fushia
b) Flocking
c) Floorboards
d) Fire Hydrant
e) Fart

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "What's with the FUSCHIA polka dots on this cab and the
FLOCKING on the upholstery ?" inquired Uneeda. The cab driver ignored her, pushed his foot to the FLOORBOARDS narrowly missing a FIREHYDRANT and headed for the concert hall. Uneeda, annoyed when the cab driver ignored her question and mistook her for a zither player, snapped, "Listen, you old FART, I'm speaking to you".

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Keeping with a theme, I am looking for all "M"s.

1. Mentalist
2. Mesh
3. Manager
4. Muck
5. Megahertz

message 20: by Jerry (new)

Jerry H | 43 comments As the taxi sped away the driver's water bottle fell to the FLOORBOARDS. Bending down to retrieve the errant bottle caused a loud FART to emerge from driver followed by a total loss of control...of the taxi which crashed into a FIRE HYDRANT. The driver turned to Uneeda while turning a bright shade of FUSHIA and said, "No charge for the ride". Uneeda fled the taxi and noticed a crowd of people FLOCKING around a hot dog stand.

message 21: by Jerry (new)

Jerry H | 43 comments Next 5

mustard
pigeon
police (this is a crime group, there has to be police)
jazz
billboard

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) (Looks like we got tied up in slow posting again...so go ahead with Jerry's 5 words)

message 23: by T (last edited Jan 02, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments

Like Beaker & Smudge, the Uneeda's MANAGER, MUCK, is a MENTALIST with a 5 MEGAHERTZ range. Wearing her MUSTARD colored MESH PIGEON-winged shirt for the JAZZ performance, MUCK willed away the POLICE (and lingering fart) and convinced the flocking hot dog patrons to stare up at a nearby BILLBOARD while she snatched enough hot dogs for Uneeda, Beaker, Smudge and herself.

message 24: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Next 5 - btw, I like the letter theme!

a. Tinkling
b. Bulbous
c. Wedgie
d. Snowball
e. Horseshoe

message 25: by Jill (last edited Jan 02, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Little Beaker dude and Smudge settled into their seats with their purloined hot dogs to hear the TINKLING of Uneeda's xylophone when a rather BULBOUS and sweating man with a WEDGIE in his sweatpants fell into the adjoining seat. "If I had a SNOWBALL I would hit this guy in the head" purred Smudge...."or better yet, a HORSESHOE". Muck, the Manager agreed.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Let's try these:

1. Knothole
2. Curse
3. Psalm
4. X-ray
5. Tailor

message 27: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments "What KNOTHOLE did you crawl out of?" said Sweaty Man with a colorful CURSE.

Muck hummed a PSALM while Little Beaker Dude and Smudge innocently used their X-RAY vision to check out Sweaty Man's wedgied sweatpants TAILOR label, with thoughts of getting Muck a pair for her upcoming birthday.

message 28: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments a. Pistachio
b. Snuggy
c. AK-47
d. Lady GaGa
e. Tango

message 29: by Jill (last edited Jan 02, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "After those hot dogs, I could use a PISTACHIO ice cream" said little Beaker dude. "But then I would just get cold and I didn't bring my SNUGGIE". "Please quit talking" whispered Smudge, "because I think that Sweaty Man closely resembles the man who brought the AK-47 to the LADY GAGA concert last year because he hated her songs. I sure hope he likes xylophone music. Let's split" and they did a quick TANGO to the nearest door with Muck in tow.

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Here we go:

1. Softball
2. Razor
3. Tent
4. Disorder
5. Clerk

message 31: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Sweaty Man took out his RAZOR, SOFTBALL and camping TENT, as he settled in for the xylophone concert, and prepared to fashion another chipmunk parachute prototype from the pieces while he listened. The CLERK at his local asylum had come up with this tactile exercise for Sweaty Man to channel his energy given his rare DISORDER dealing with an irrational fear of being killed by falling chipmunks.

message 32: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments a. Cheetos
b. Camera
c. Camel
d. Cascade
e. Chins

message 33: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments "I can't believe I forgot my CHEETOS!" cried Sweaty Man as he removed his digital CAMERA and positioned it towards the stage where he expected the xylophone to be set up. He thought about smoking a CAMEL but then thought better as he knew that security would CASCADE towards him in a flash. He picked up his portable mirror and, taking a good look, exclaimed, "Good Lord, when did I get so many CHINS?"

message 34: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments 1. Firefly
2. Post-it
3. Igloo
4. Blackberry
5. Delicious

message 35: by Jill (last edited Jan 03, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Flitting backstage like a FIREFLY, Smudge left a POST-IT note for Uneeda on the bulletin board which warned "Don't play the "Out of the IGLOO" song tonight since I just got a message on my BLACKBERRY from the local asylum that Sweaty Man hates that song and would take DELICIOUS delight in mowing you down with his AK-47". Smudge then hurried away to join little Beaker dude and Muck.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) 1. Pheasant
2. Row-boat
3. Ambulance
4. Truss
5. Calculator

message 37: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments "Wait! I saw this on Fantom of da Oprah! We can TRUSS up Sweaty Man, throw him in da AMBULANCE which will take us to the river, then we get in a ROW-BOAT shaped like a PHEASANT and leave him in the dark nether regions of the Oprah House!" telepathed Little Beaker Dude to Smudge and Muck as he looked for the CALCULATOR option on the Blackberry to determine the size of the rowboat required to cart off Sweaty Man.

message 38: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments a. Nessie
b. Pumpkin
c. Doodad
d. Surgical glove
e. Dump truck

message 39: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments NESSIE had gowned up pulled down her surgical mask and put her SURGICAL GLOVE on ready to dissect the extra large PUMKIN found in the DUMPER truck the first thing she did was to remove the label DOODAD from the skin

message 40: by Jill (last edited Jan 04, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) "I'm afraid to get in a rowboat" muttered Muck, "because NESSIE might attack us". "Good grief, this isn't Loch Ness. You have the IQ of a PUMPKIN." retorted Smudge as he continued to fiddle with the DOODAD on his Blackberry. "We can wear SURGICAL GLOVES so there will be no fingerprints but I think we will need a DUMP TRUCK, rather than an ambulance to haul Sweaty Man to the river. But I really hate to miss the xylophone concert."

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) 1. Slippers
2. Snapshot
3. Emperor
4. Mountaineer
5. Pupa

message 42: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Back at the xylophone concert, Uneeda went backstage to get a SNAPSHOT of the star phonist, snidely referred to as the EMPEROR, who happened to still be padding around in his bunny SLIPPERS. A wannabe MOUNTAINEER, the Emperor kept his current lucky PUPA on a silver chain around his neck, though he couldn't understand why fluttery bugs would erupt from them, forcing him to go get a new lucky pupa.

message 43: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments 1. Barracuda
2. Dim sum
3. Mud puddle
4. Speed loader
5. Corset

message 44: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The Emperor, smiling like a BARRACUDA, took the stage and begin to play. "He's not as good as I thought" mused Uneeda, "so I think I'll go out for DIM SUM." Leaving by the stage door, she stepped in a MUD PUDDLE and fell, just in time to dodge several rapid shots. "Someone has a SPEED LOADER to rip off that many shots and it has scared me right out of my CORSET" she thought as she jumped up and headed for the river.

message 45: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) 1. Fly paper
2. Velcro
3. Blimp
4. Quartet
5. Senorita

message 46: by T (last edited Jan 04, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments "Hmm....FLYPAPER or VELCRO, flypaper or velcro, what should I use to secure Sweaty Man?" mused Little Beaker Dude. "Perhaps I can enlist the aid of the Goodyear BLIMP to help convey our QUARTET including the now corset-less SENORITA Uneeda to safety after we dump off Sweaty Man."

message 47: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments 1. Elmo
2. Granola
3. Recycle
4. Geoduck
5. Gingivitis

message 48: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments ELMO sat down for breakfast with his wife GEODUCk they were eating RECYCLED GRANOLA after 10 minutes they both collapsed with a severe attack of GINGIVITIS

message 49: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) (I'm confused!!!!)

message 50: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments < Stan: the challenge is to use the five words and continue the story line....Your entries are very good for stand-alone paragraphs. Could you please try to help us advance the story lines that we have been building, albeit in far-reaching directions? Thanks for playing - we kind of bounce off each other as well as the walls! >

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26