Cozy Mysteries discussion

What do you think? > Favorite & Most Disappointing Reads of 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments With the end of the year upon us, I thought it might be fun for us to post our favorite reads of this past year and also the ones we found most disappointing! We do this on another group that I've been part of for years now, and it's a lot of fun to see everyone's lists! You can find some good things you hadn't thought of before and also maybe skip some not-so-good ones!

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Nice idea Melodie.

message 3: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Dec 21, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I think my favorite find this year would be (off the top of my head) Truly, Madly by Heather Webber. There are probably others but that's the first one that comes to mind when I think of the last year of reading.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Good idea Melodie are we talking cozies only?

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) My books were pretty good this year, 3 stars or above, except for one: Smash Cut, which was a 2-star. For all of the hype, it didn't appeal much to me.

my 2010s

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Heidi I wrote: "Good idea Melodie are we talking cozies only?"

No. We never limit it on the other board, and most of us read other things, too.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments I have to say the Twilight series is by far, the most over hyped series I've ever read.
I still need to read the final book, but I keep scratching my head as to why these books are incredibly popular; I know they are meant for younger readers, but so was happy potter and those are AMAZING.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments My favorite non-cozy this year was The Distant Hours The Distant Hours by Kate Morton by Kate Morton. I didn't want this tome to end!
And my favorite cozy (I didn't get to read as many as I would have liked) would have to be Death by Darjeeling. I really haven't been reading that many cozies lately and am disappointed at all the cozies sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Hopefully this holiday break will find me reading more cozies!
As for most disappointing, I will have to ponder that one. I've read some great books this year!

message 9: by Katherine (last edited Dec 22, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

Katherine I know that The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, Water for Elephants, and the Pilot's Wife were all terrific.And probably the most memorable of the many books I read in 2010. I really like The Woman in White, too.

I liked The Lost Symbol but didn't think it was as wonderful as its hype.

I LOVED Blessed be Jazz.

Eye of the Red Tsar --a goodreads giveaway --was very good. I gave 5 stars to another giveaway--Reckless.The Cabal, another giveaway was excellent.Another goodreads giveaway--Crossing the Heart of Africa was really interesting. Had to slog through Twain's Feast, yet another giveaway. I liked the book, it was just tough going!

Wasn't crazy about The Madness of Mary Lincoln, though A Beautiful Blue Death was an introduction to a new series I'm looking forward to reading.

Grisham's Ford County was okay. Thought The Book Club was very good.

Didn't like McCullough's Mornings on Horseback--but I think it was the subject rather than the book that I didn't like, as I love Mccullough--he is my favorite author, I think.

Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts was a delight! So nice to hear about the women in the lives of those famous men.

As for Cozies--Victoria Thompson is my absolute favorite and I've read all her turn of the century mysteries. I've continued with China Bayles also,whom I really like. Robin Paige's Victorian and Edwardians are favorites but I've tired of Aurora Teagarden and have taken a break from her.

Loved the 4th and 5th in the Pink Carnation series by Willig but was disappointed in the Charleston Trilogy by Sheryll Woods. I know there are others I've read but as they don't come to mind, they probably were just okay! LOL

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Michelle wrote: "I have to say the Twilight series is by far, the most over hyped series I've ever read.
I still need to read the final book, but I keep scratching my head as to why these books are incredibly popu..."

I really liked the Twilight books myself, but know others that don't! (Heidi????) I had thought that the biggest "craziness" was with teenagers, but found that I was severely mistaken! There are a lot of moms & grandmas who are every bit as goofy about the whole thing as the kids! Listening to Taylor Lautner tell a story about a mom wanting him to sign her underwear while her terribly embarrassed teenage daughter looked on just floored me!

message 11: by Melodie (last edited Dec 22, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Well, here are my best reads of the year that are other than cozies. They got 5 stars and are listed in the order I read them.:
Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7) by Carrie Vaughn Kitty's House of Horrors
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Beautiful Creatures
The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain The Dark Divine
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Shiver
Hourglass (Evernight, #3) by Claudia Gray Hourglass
Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne
Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Changes
Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8) by Carrie Vaughn Kitty Goes to War
Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) by Sara Paretsky Body Work
Play Dead (Andy Carpenter Series, #6) by David Rosenfelt Play Dead
A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries by Leah Wilson A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine Ghost Town
Angel Interrupted (A Dead Detective Mystery) by Chaz McGee Angel Interrupted
Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield Late, Late at Night
Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro, #6) by Dennis Lehane Moonlight Mile
The Hanging Tree by Bryan Gruley The Hanging Tree

Out of all these, the 3 very best, meaning they stuck with me the longest, were Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher and Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield .

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Michelle wrote: "I have to say the Twilight series is by far, the most over hyped series I've ever read.
I still need to read the final book, but I keep scratching my head as to why these books are incredibly popu..."

One book that is for sure on my most disappointing list is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson . After having people tell me for a couple of years now that I need to read this book I finally did. I liked it better than I thought I would since it took me so long to get through, but I sure don't understand the hype!

message 14: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) I haven't thought of my favorite book of 2010 as of yet, but my biggest disappointment was easy for me to pick. And it's The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. Overall this book was a huge disappointment to me. The main character, Flavia, was completely unlikable and way too precocious. I really didn't care about anyone in the book as a matter of fact. I had no sympathy or good feelings about any of the main characters. I just wanted the book to end and I finished it, but I will not revisit this author. Now, I just have to go find my favorite book of 2010 :)

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Michelle wrote: "I have to say the Twilight series is by far, the most over hyped series I've ever read.

Oh you don't even want to get me started on this one. I don't want Melodie mad at me :)

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments My favorite books this year were On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta and The Help by Kathryn Stockett . Most disappointing Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia (sorry Melodie!)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'd have to say my most disappointing reads of the year were Closet Confidential and Calamity Jayne. I like the rest of the series before Closet Confidential, but I couldn't even get through the first couple of chapters of this one - the characters best friend kept ragging her so badly it turned me off. And Calamity Jayne, well, I was struggling a bit with her lack of self-esteem, but the author lost me completely once she put the cat in jeopardy. I put the book down and have no intention of picking it back up.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Jennifer-in-oz wrote: "I'd have to say my most disappointing reads of the year were Closet Confidential and Calamity Jayne. I like the rest of the series before Closet Confidential, but I co..."

Yes, that's how I feel about Time Traveler's Wife--cannot understand the hype--just cannot get into it and not going to make the effort. That is my big disappointment book of the year.

message 19: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I really enjoyed Tomb with a View and the audio versions of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. I also really enjoyed Warrior, Scoundrel, and The Battle Sylph.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments My biggest disappointment - Wicked Prey - constant use of the "f" word is a major turn-off for me.

My best reads - Nora Roberts' bride quartet and getting into the China Bayles series. I also really enjoyed City of Bones and The Hourglass Door.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 24 comments I was disappointed in the Twilight series. Just couldn't get into it.

The book that has stayed with me all year is The Help.

message 22: by Melodie (last edited Dec 23, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Sue T wrote: "My biggest disappointment - Wicked Prey - constant use of the "f" word is a major turn-off for me.

My best reads - Nora Roberts' bride quartet and getting into the China Bayles ser..."

I am WAY behind on the Prey series, but always really liked them. I have the Bride Quartet books, but haven't read any of them yet. They were a gift and not usually my kind of read.

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Some of my favorite reads in 2010 - the Southern Sisters series by Anne George, Rolling Thunder A John Ceepak Mystery by Chris Grabenstein (I love all the Ceepak books! Go Chris!) and Fatal Undertaking (Buryin' Barry Mysteries) by Mark de Castrique . I'm so glad that Mark decided to come out with another Buryin' Barry book - fantastic series! Also wonderful - Vicki Lane's Elizabeth Goodweather books. Currently reading The Day of Small Things A Novel by Vicki Lane . I'll have to think about the most disappointing books.

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 104 comments Caroline wrote: "Some of my favorite reads in 2010 - the Southern Sisters series by Anne George, Rolling Thunder A John Ceepak Mystery by Chris Grabenstein (I love all the Ceepak books! Go Chris!) and [bookcover:F...

I also love the southern sisters! They are so funny. I hate that there won't be more of them though. : (

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula | 104 comments Caroline wrote: "Some of my favorite reads in 2010 - the Southern Sisters series by Anne George, Rolling Thunder A John Ceepak Mystery by Chris Grabenstein (I love all the Ceepak books! Go Chris!) and [bookcover:F...

I also love the southern sisters! They are so funny. I hate that there won't be more of them though. : (

message 26: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 8 comments Heidi got me started on cozies this year and my faves were: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich Calamity Jayne (Tressa Jayne Turner, #1) by Kathleen Bacus Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2) by Wendy Lyn Watson Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Jennifer-in-oz wrote: "I'd have to say my most disappointing reads of the year were Closet Confidential and Calamity Jayne. I like the rest of the series before Closet Confidential, but I co..."

Oh I am so sad you were disappointed by Calamity! I am a HUGE animal lover and have two cats who are more like my kids, so I must have not had the same reaction as you did to the book -- or maybe I missed that part because I really can't even remember it. Anyway, just wanted to say I was sorry since I told you I liked the series.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Jaimie wrote: "Heidi got me started on cozies this year and my faves were: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet EvanovichCalamity Jayne (Tressa Jayne Turner, #1) by Kathleen BacusScoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2) by Wendy Lyn WatsonMurder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri"

Hey...fancy meeting you here! Glad you are enjoying all your new cozies :)

message 29: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 8 comments Oh very much so, thanks for all the recomendations!

message 30: by Kaye (last edited Dec 26, 2010 04:53AM) (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 862 comments Two of my favorites (non cozies) for this year are Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and How to Be an American Housewife. Both were just delightful reads with great characters. This year I discovered Louise Penny and read three of her books - all excellent mysteries with complex characters and a wonderful sense of place( Quebec). For cozies this year I enjoyed books by Karen MacInerney, Ellery Adams, Jenn McKinlay Laura Childs and as always Carolyn Hart. Most disappointing read was Revenge Served Cold because it was just so implausible and so badly written. Another book that was disappointing to me was Lost in a Good Book mainly because I didn't realize it was an alternate reality type book and I just don't enjoy that genre.

message 31: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Ah, a disappointing book was Buzz Off by Hannah Reed . I like Deb Bakers other series and was looking forward to a new series under the Hannah Reed name. But I just couldn't deal with the character's relationship with her mother and a couple other things I won't go into (so as to avoid spoiling it for anyone who may want to read). I actually gave away the book without finishing it and was sorry that I didn't enjoy it.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Heidi - I've hung on to Calamity Jayne, with the thought in the back of my head that I might try to finish it. But the hanging cat really put me off, even if he ended up being ok. I'll let you know if I get back to it. :)

message 33: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Caroline wrote: "Ah, a disappointing book was Buzz Off by Hannah Reed. I like Deb Bakers other series and was looking forward to a new series under the Hannah Reed name. But I just couldn't deal with the cha..."

I didn't like it either, Caroline, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger!

message 34: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Caroline wrote: "Ah, a disappointing book was Buzz Off by Hannah Reed. I like Deb Bakers other series and was looking forward to a new series under the Hannah Reed name. But I just couldn't deal with the cha..."

I only finished this book because I needed to for a reading challenge. I think having to finish it made me hate it even more than if I had quit reading it. Unless everyone raves about a future book in this series, I won't read another one.

message 35: by Kate (last edited Dec 26, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Some of my favorites this year were A Killer Plot (Books by the Bay, #1) by Ellery Adams , The Long Quiche Good-bye (Cheese Shop Mystery, #1) by Avery Aames , Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders by Peggy Webb , Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman , Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9) by Joanne Fluke , and Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1) by Lila Dare .

Some disappointments were Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay (I realllllly couldn't stand this book), Delicious and Suspicious (Memphis Barbeque Mystery, #1) by Riley Adams , Grace Under Pressure (Manor of Murder, #1) by Julie Hyzy and Reel Murder A Talk Radio Mystery by Mary Kennedy .

message 36: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (ladyvictoria5) | 218 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I was disappointed in the Twilight series. Just couldn't get into it.

The book that has stayed with me all year is The Help."

Amen to this one! I was pleasantly surprised by The Olympians series by Rick Riordan and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I discovered the Spellman Series (have the 4th one to read) and many cozy series I found on this site, Thanks to all of you.

message 37: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments You know, Melodie - You raised an interesting question in my mind. Deb Baker has two series out already and a publisher decides to do the Queen Bee series, so they must have liked it. Now there seems to be feedback that a lot of folks don't like the new series or the way the character and her mother interact or whatever. How can you fix this? Just say, oh well, those who don't like it won't buy it. Or try to change the relationship in a future book in the series? What if you've alredy "turned folks off" to that series? I wonder if there's any way to fix it? Usually folks who didn't like the first book in a new series won't buy the second book in the series. I know I read How to Wash a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #1) by Rebecca M. Hale and was kind of confused by it. Decided to try the second one and couldn't even get through it halfway. I definitely won't try any more in this series.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments A little over half of what I read is crime fiction. My top 5 reads in 2010 were:

To Say Nothing of the Dog, Connie Willis
Still Life, Louise Penny
Blood Hollow, William Kent Krueger
The Help, Kathryn Stockett
The Scent of Rain and Lightning, Nancy Pickard

message 39: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I definitely have one more to add to my list of best reads for 2010: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins ! This is totally not my usual type of read, but this was an excellent book!

message 40: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 20 comments Favorite reads: The Hunger Game series, The Olympian series and the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series ( The Lost Hero) (so in short Rick Riordan is probably my favorite author of 2010).

Disappointments: oh garsh, I read The Call of the Wild for the first time and it was pretty boring, I also felt the same about A Christmas Carol. Other than that can't really think of much else that I found disappointing.

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Yay for the Hunger Games!

message 42: by Jolie (new)

Jolie (joliegirl) | 2 comments My favourite of the year: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Worst book I read this year: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

message 43: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Heidi I wrote: "Yay for the Hunger Games!"

I know.......it pains me to say it....but, you were right!! ;-)

message 44: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 821 comments Jolie wrote: "My favourite of the year: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Worst book I read this year: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs"

Thank you Jolie! I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy The Friday Night Knitting Club. In fact, I couldn't even finish it ;(

message 45: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 127 comments My favourites this year were: Mama Does Time (Mace Bauer, #1) by Deborah Sharp  Poisoned Tarts (Savannah Reid, #13) by G.A. McKevett Witch by Barbara Michaels The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2) by Cricket McRae

The most disappointing book was Witch and Wizard,I didnt finish reading it! and the others were: Witch & Wizard by James Patterson A Hole in Juan An Amanda Pepper Mystery (Amanda Pepper Mysteries (Paperback)) by Gillian Roberts 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine, #1) by Linda Wisdom

message 46: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jan 07, 2011 08:39PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 21238 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: "Ah, a disappointing book was Buzz Off. I like Deb Baker's other series and was looking forward to a new series under the Hannah Reed name. But I just couldn't deal with the character's relationship with her mother and a couple other things I won't go into (so as to avoid spoiling it for anyone who may want to read)."

I actually liked this book, but then - I have never read any of her other series, and the mother/daughter relationship was realistic to me, as there are people who suffer similarly in real life. The one thing I really disliked about the book was the sister's penchant for text-talk. Drives me up the wall when I see it on message boards, I certainly don't want to see it in my books.

message 47: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 20 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Jolie wrote: "My favourite of the year: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Worst book I read this year: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs"

Thank you Jolie! I'm so happy ..."

Friday Night Knitting Club had the potential to be good...but they played the cheasy C card...and I was like...NOPE! I would like to finish it, but come on, not that tired old road.

"Knit in Comfort" is similar but much better and less hokey.

message 48: by Salena (new)

Salena (salenamom23) | 19 comments Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8) by Daniel Silva and really the whole Gabriel Allon series has been by far my favorite non-cozy read(s) of the year!

My fave cozies have been Murder, She Wrote A Deadly Judgment (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher which I would have never read if it hadn't been for Donald Blain being a featured author! I also really enjoyed On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle ; and the other Coffeehouse Series books I have read.

message 49: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (murder-she-read) | 18 comments Cat of the Century by Rita Mae Brown was the most disappointing book. This series was the one what got me into cozy books, and to see it go downhill and become this odd soap box for her own political gains was really sad. How to Wash a Cat, also sucked. Great title, bad plot.

On the other hand the best books
I really enjoyed Arsenic and Old Paint by Hailey Lind, The Lies that Bind by Kate Carlisle, A Witch in Time by Madelyn Alt, Ghouls Gone Wild and A Glimpse of Evil by Victoria Laurie, the Ophelia and Abby series by Shirley Damsgaard and the Pepper Marin series by Casey Daniels.. so the good outweighed the bad ;)

message 50: by Hmr28 (new)

Hmr28 | 7 comments My favorite new to me find was Deanna Raybourn's Lady Grey series. I also loved Maggie Barberi's Alison Bergeron series and Merline Lovelace's Samanta Spade mysteries.

« previous 1