Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What did your teachers write on your report cards?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments For many years the three most common comments on my report cards were:

1. "Performs below capabilities"
2. "Work Lacks neatness"
3. "Fails to completely assignments"

You?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "For many years the three most common comments on my report cards were:

1. "Performs below capabilities"
2. "Work Lacks neatness"
3. "Fails to completely assignments"

You?"

::writes on RA's teacher's report card::

does not use adverbs and capital letters correctly.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) In my baby book, mother pasted a note sent home with my first report card in the first grade. It reads,"Leslie spends too much time talking to boys." I am still indignant. Truth be told, I talked to everyone, girls and boys. I just happened to be seated so that I was surrounded by boys. That was her seating chart, not mine. (I do still love talking to boys though!)

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've blocked it out.

message 5: by Dan (last edited Dec 19, 2010 05:42AM) (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) The only one I remember was from the sixth grade when I got a C in science. My science teacher wrote "Dan is smart but in no danger of having a heart attack."

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments ::writes on RA's teacher's report card::

does not use adverbs and capital letters correctly.

My current report card would read "should not post before drinking coffee..."

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) "Interrupts too much during lessons."

"Talks too loud."

"Masturbates excessively in class"

And this was my 12-grade report card, by the way...

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart "I wish I had a class full"

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments Cynthia is easily distracted and spends too much time visiting with her neighbors.
Still true.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
"A delight to have in class" year after year.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: ""A delight to have in class" year after year."

Do you have any physical evidence to back this up?

message 12: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) "talks too much"

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) "A delight to have in class" "Fails to work at true potential" year after year.

message 14: by Matt (last edited Dec 19, 2010 11:00AM) (new)

Matt | 819 comments Gus wrote: ""Interrupts too much during lessons."

"Talks too loud."

"Masturbates excessively in class"

And this was my 12-grade report card, by the way..."

Yet your high school handbook most likely never defined the line between normal and excessive masturbation in class. You should have called them out on that one, Gus.

I'm thinking our report cards looked very similar, Larry.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Mine always had one of two comments :

1. Talks too much and distracts the other students.

2. Extremely bright, but is not working to her full potential.

I was a social butterfly, can you tell? School was just getting in my way.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I agree about Gus. That's too subjective on the "excessive masturbation" comments.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments "Phil is very intelligent and completes his work quickly. He has a tendency to distract other students."

Alternately...

"Talks too much in class."

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Larry wrote: "I agree about Gus. That's too subjective on the "excessive masturbation" comments."

I would think physical pain is the only measure of "excessive", and even then thresholds vary from person to person...not, um, that I've ever tested this assertion.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Of course not.

message 20: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I recall comments about not applying myself to my full potential and about visiting too much. In grade 10, I worked at a potatoe chip plant after school till 1:00 in the morning. I always fell asleep in my biology class the next day. That teacher's comments were that he recommended that I quit my job and get more sleep.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Janice wins the award for most Dickensian 10th grade experience.

I think mine were like Sally's, up to about 7th grade. There were probably some comments about needing to participate more in class discussions.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori I can't remember.

But they were all good. I was a nerd!

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments "Daydreams frequently"

"Head is in the clouds"

message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments One semester in college I had a class to which I generally showed up a few minutes late, and I must have looked sort of pale because the prof approached me about it. She said, "I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that you have mono."

I collected the dollar. I actually had hepatitis B.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) What happened to the donut?

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments She lost the bet so I never bought one.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments most of my comments from high school were things like:

a) great job! enthusiastic
b) cooperative
c) nice creativity
4) head of the class

of course the only classes i took were advanced PE, art, school yearbook and practical english (when i was a senior)

message 28: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) RA wrote, I would think physical pain is the only measure of "excessive", and even then thresholds vary from person to person...not, um, that I've ever tested this assertion.

Well, I do recall teachers looking at me weird when I pulled out some lubricants, a choker, and a dog leash, and declared myself ready for class. Some may call that "excessive," but who am I to argue?

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments usually "exceeds expectations". My Latin teacher told my dad I was an overachiever. He asked her what was wrong with that? He believed in working as hard as you could. He also believed in playing as hard as you could. I got the working one...but to me, reading was my playing too hard. Whenever I had time, I had a book in my hands and my nose in a book.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Michele wrote: "Whenever I had time, I had a book in my hands and my nose in a book."

So, basically, you had your nose in your hands.

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments the book acted as intermediary. I was very myopic.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, as long as you weren't nearsighted.

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I always had a book in my hands or in my purse to read later. I wanted to know everything and actually did read the Brittanica: I got up to the letter D. Then I lost all my common sense and found boys. Oh well. I would have been better off with the encyclopedia. I still read but it was no longer my first love...until I rediscovered my passion for really good stories about 3 years later. Books saved my sanity during my 1st marriage.

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Why were boys in the letter "D"? Shouldn't you have discovered them two volumes earlier?

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Maybe they were dumb boys.

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'll have to ask my mother... I truly don't remember what my teachers wrote on my report cards.

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments And I LOOOVE this thread topic, RA. :) You come up with some really great ones.

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments actually, I was reading "D" when I tripped over a boy who actually paid attention to me! was I surprised!

message 39: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i'll see if i can find something to post here when i'm at my parents for christmas.

message 40: by Heidi (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments So I just asked my mom if she remembers what my teachers had to say about me on my report cards and she said she looked it up (because she keeps my report cards handy?! WHAT??!! I didn't expect such a quick reply):

"Daydreamer"

"Heidi is a sweet and a very giving child and a delight to have in my class."

Go me!!!

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Heidi wrote: ""Heidi is a sweet and a very giving child and a delight to have in my class.""

We wouldn't have expected anything less :-)

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments ::coughs::

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You should get that checked out, Phil.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I mostly got a lot of "Is a pleasure to have in class"es on my report cards.
There were a few "not working to full potential"s in high school, I must admit...

message 45: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Dec 22, 2010 04:25PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Well, I have a November birthday and my parents decided to send me to kindergarten when I was only four. There were no young fives programs or nursery school or the like back in 1962. Turns out I "wasn't ready."

You can imagine how the comments section read on that one. My mom cried big tears at the prospect of having me around the house for another year.

message 46: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I think every single report card from kindergarten through 11th grade said "not working to her full potential." My senior year, they gave up on me.

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Heidi wrote: "And I LOOOVE this thread topic, RA. :) You come up with some really great ones."

Concur.

message 48: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments there was the year I was in 7th grade and had "mouthed off" to Sister Mary Fabian and the remarks the next marking period were not kind. And even though I never scored lower than an 85 on any test, quiz, midterm,final and turned in all my homework, I got all C's and D's. My dad had seen all the test scores so knew I'd done well and just told me that was what you got for mouthing off and that should teach me to keep my mouth shut. And I did until I turned 30 and found my voice again.

message 49: by Félix (last edited Dec 23, 2010 10:09AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) In second grade I got an "Unsatisfactory" on my report card simply because when I brought it back to school, I licked and sealed the envelope. The teacher (bitch) had to tear it open. Thus I was being disrespectful of school property. I can't believe I still remember that event.

That sane same teacher (on the same day) berated another student whose house had burned over the holidays. He was disrespectful because he didn't rescue the report card before he got out of the burning house.

What a bitchy old biddy she was.

But she's been dead a very long time now.

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Larry wrote: "That sane teacher (on the same day) berated another student whose house had burned over the holidays. He was disrespectful because he didn't rescue the report card before he got out of the burning house."

Sounds more like an INsane teacher than a sane one.

« previous 1