Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > IR reading challenge #1 Jan 1- July 1, 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Dec 16, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
The IR Reader's Challenge #1

Duration: Jan 1, 2011- July 1, 2011

For the IR Reader's Challenge, participants must choose, and read 6 books based on the themes/ scenario/ genre's listed below:

Best friends to lovers
Love at first sight
Nemesis at first sight/Enemies to lovers
Married Couple
Atypical interracial combination
Historical
Contemporary
Paranormal
Chick-lit
Surprise interracial
Unique profession (caterer, assassin, celebrity etc)

*participants may choose a 7th as a bonus

You may post your books in advance, or as you read them. When posting, please include which theme/ scenario/ genre your selection fits. The goal of this challenge is to have fun, and increase our IR reading. The only requirement for this challenge, is that your books must feature an IR pairing of some sort. If needed, you can look at the groups bookshelf for titles. Also, you are strongly encouraged to keep track of your IR reading in the designated folder. Happy reading!

message 2: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6626 comments Mod
Michelle can we pick out themes now or do we have to wait untiil January 1, 2011?

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Dec 16, 2010 11:06AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I am signing up!

Danielle's IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: January 1- July 1, 2011
Update:
Completed: 0/6

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'm signing too.

From January 1 - July 1, 2011:

message 5: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

@ Arch:

I think its okay to pick now. I'll probably do the same thing when I go through my books in a little bit.

message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

Okay Michelle. I have a couple of themes. I have to go through my books to find more. Now, can you explain surprise interracial? Is this an aftermath theme? I have read a book in 2003 and it was a surprise interracial book to me.

message 7: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Everybody is different, but I see a surprise IR as one that's not promoted as such. I think you mentioned a Nalini Singh book in another thread. I think it was Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh . But a book like that is good example I think.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I agree with you on that definition, Michelle.

message 9: by Arch , Mod (new)

According to what you have said Michelle, to me that mean it's an aftermath book or should I say, a person doesn't know it's an interracial book, until they start reading the book and it's revealed that it's interracial.

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

@ Arch

Right. You'd already have to be reading it and go by the authors description of the main couple I guess. I do see how that might be difficult if its a book in series, and the IR couple's book falls somewhere in the middle. You don't read too much PNR right? If not, maybe we can look at each others shelves, because I want to find more contemporary romance. I do have some IR PNR on my shelves if you're interested.

message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

Michelle, on the other group, I have given myself a genre challenge. I'm reading paranormal books as a challenge.

I'm a contemporary girl.

I'll read a paranormal romance as long as it's not erotic or the love scene(s) aren't detailed.

Detailed to me means the author have included the names of the private parts in the story and they are characters. Erotic can walk down the same street. Other things are detailed to me as well.

I like leave it to your imagination love scenes. A leave it to your imagination love scene can be steamy without going there.

Detailed Example: Rob spreads Sally's legs apart. Looking at the woman that is hot for him, he sticks two fingers in her womanhood (instead of womanhood another word is used)........................

Leave It To Your Imagination Example: Rob enters Sally's welcoming body. Oh, how he loves this woman..............

In the second example. Before you know it, the love scene is over with.

A leave it to your imagination love scene to me is not always the ones that shows the couple entering the bedroom and then it's hours later or the next day.

To me, Alyssa Locke and Sam Starrett's love scenes from Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series were leave it to your imagination love scenes.

Dave and Sophia's scenes were too.

message 12: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

@ Arch:

To be honest, I haven't read a lot of the IR pnr books in my tbr pile. So I'm not sure how explicit the love scenes are in some of them. Hmmm.... maybe I can make writing reviews of what I read a goal for 2011.

I know about Sam and Alyssa. But you also mentioned Dave and Sophia. Is that another IR couple in the Troubleshooter series?

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Michelle,

No Dave and Sophia aren't an interracial couple.

If you don't mind a contemporary doctors story, then try The Silent Cradle by Margaret Cuthbert. Hero is Sam and heroine is Rae. Both are doctors.

The story is not heavy on romance. The hero and heroine are trying to find out who is killing patients. It's a good story. It's the surprise interracial story I was telling you about.

message 14: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Dec 16, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Here's my list, which of course is always subject to change:

Enemies to lovers: Gone Too Far by Suzanne Brockmann
Historical: Seminole Song by Vella Munn
Contemporary: Aaren by TA Ford
Chick-lit: Whiskey Road: A Love Story by Karen V. Siplin
Paranormal: Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver
Unique Profession: Ebony Eyes by Kei Swanson (re-read)

*Bonus*

Surprise IR: The Silent Cradle by Margaret Cuthbert

Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) by Suzanne Brockmann Seminole Song by Vella Munn Aaren by T.A. Ford Whiskey Road A Love Story by Karen V. Siplin Sins of the Heart (Otherkin trilogy, #1) by Eve Silver Ebony Eyes by Kei Swanson The Silent Cradle by Margaret Cuthbert

message 15: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Arch! I remember you mentioning Silent Cradle before. I've just added for my bonus book.

message 16: by T (new)

T | 24 comments I'll take the challenge.

Tjac

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

You are welcome Michelle. You might not like Silent Cradle. I did. Sam is a bad doctor. You'll see what I am talking about. I hope you see. :)

You and I are on the same page. Gone Too Far was going to be my Enemies To Lovers book as well.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments Danielle - Would it be helpful to create a suggestions thread sorted by theme that includes titles that participants in the challenge can refer to in case they aren't sure what books/titles might fall within a certain category? I have always found this invaluable in other challenges esp. when it is a theme or area out of your normal comfort zone. Any readers or participants can add to the titles to the list and it could be a nice reference point for anyone wanting to join the challenge.

Or better yet maybe we can add the themes as shelves and members can go in and add books from the group bookshelf onto the shelves that they know meet the theme?

Just a thought.

message 19: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2005 comments Mod
I'm signing up!

Rae's IR Reading Challenge

Michelle, I was just thinking about reading Seminole Song as well! May add that to my reading shelf. :-)

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Tina, great idea. Of course, participation by all the members is going to be crucial since we have all read different books. I'll start the thread and please do chip in. There are several theme shelves on the bookshelves that I recall. If you see something missing, feel free to add shelves.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Here is the thread I started:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 22: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Hmmm..... getting an e-reader has me wanting change a few of the books on my list. I'll post an updated list soon.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I will post as I go. I am so indecisive!

message 24: by Arch , Mod (new)

I will do the same Danielle.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I'm in! I'll go through the lists to see what grabs me.

message 26: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

@ Danielle:

I think posting as you go along is probably best. The closer we get to the start date, the more indecisive I get too :)

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Glad I'm not alone, Michelle. :)

message 28: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Yeah, I have to grab what I'm in the mood for at the time (which changes constantly). So picking as I go along works better for me! :-)

message 29: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I went ahead and set up my challenges on my blog sidebar. I needed a spiffy pic for this challenge and I made this in case anyone wants it for their blog or website.

Here is the code (it's a bit bigger and clearer when you paste it).

< img "width: 199px; height: 175px;" src="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AhV87w9p2t0..." />

Be sure to close spaces when you paste and it should show up! :-)

message 30: by Arch , Mod (new)

Cute. Thanks Rae.

message 31: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Np! :-)

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's awesome. I'm adding it to my blog right now. Thanks, Rae!

message 33: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

YW Danielle. :-)

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Jan 02, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Danielle's IR Reading Challenge #1
Update: 1/2/11
Completed: 1/6

Surprise Interracial: Ruthless Game by Christine Feehan (heroine is Asian/hero is white). 1/2

message 35: by postcrdprincess (new)

postcrdprincess | 383 comments IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: January 1-July 1, 2011

My first book:
Contemporary: Special Forces by Erosa Knowles (BW/WM)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments Starting with the Married Couple theme: Strange Little Band by Nancy Brauer(BW/WM). I like the rather unusual premise, villians with children...

message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch's IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: January 1 - July 1, 2011

Enemies To Lovers:
Gone Too Far. I'm rereading starting today 01-03-11.

message 38: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Jan 03, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Michelle IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: Jan 1, 2011 - July 1, 2011
Read: 1/6

Paranormal: Tales of the Red Moon Clan by Cherie de Sues - hero is native american, heroine is caucasian.

message 39: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Sorry this is late. Since my last post, my computer went kerplunk on me so I have to borrow a family members when they're not using it. Poo poo. Working on getting the secondary one going but for some reason it won't boot up. Gah!

Anywho!

Here's my first of the year! :-) This was really good.

Rae's IR Reading Challenge
Update: 13/11

Surprise Interracial:
Excuse Me, Miss by Phillip Thomas Duck (Novella)

Main Character (Heroine) is Filipino (Father's side) mixed w/ Hawaiian and Russian (Mother's side); Love interest #1 is half German and half Ghanaian; Love Interest #2/Boss is WM (American)

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sorry to hear that about your computer, Rae. Hope you are up and running again soon.

message 41: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thanks Danielle. :-)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope it's ok if I come in kinda late on this one. I'll have to rely on your suggestions thread for most of my picks, since I am new to this genre. I will post as I go.

Jenny's IR Reading Challenge #1
Update:
Completed: 0/6

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Of course, Jenny!

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments Sorry to be putting in my info so late, but my job is crazy this time of the year. I've got three books to get me started. All contemporary romance, at least I think they are. 1) A whisper to a scream by Elissa Gabrielle. 2) You're all I need, by Karen White-Owens. 3)Burn by Chrystal Hubbard. I'll be posting as I go also. I've seen some good titles listed. I might pick some of them for my last three selections.

Dee

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Update: 1/9/2011

Historical : Butterfly Swords by Jeannie Linn

message 46: by postcrdprincess (new)

postcrdprincess | 383 comments PostcrdPrincess’ IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: Jan 1, 2011- July 1, 2011
Update: 1/10/11 Completed: 1/6

Next:

Married Couples Romance: The Arrangement by Delaney Diamond

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Update: 1/17/2011
Completed: 2/6
Nemesis at first sight/Enemies to lovers: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments Just finished Strange Little Band. Review to follow soon. Not sure where in the category it falls though.

message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Vixenne, you can put it where you think it best fits for your challenge needs.

message 50: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch's IR Reading Challenge #1
Duration: January 1 - July 1, 2011
Updated: 01-22-11

Enemies To Lovers: Gone Too Far. I'm rereading starting today 01-03-11. (Updated Finished: 01-22-11)

« previous 1