Start by marking “Being Plumville” as Want to Read:

Being Plumville

Living in the small, southern town of Plumville is effortless, seamless, and safe, if you follow the rules. You're given them from birth, and anything that could possibly make you break them is removed from your life-even if it's your best friend. Such is the case for Benjamin Drummond and Coralee Simmons, two best friends separated during childhood because Benjamin is whi ...more
Published March 29th 2007 by iUniverse (first published March 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Being Plumville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Plumville

Start your review of Being Plumville
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Being Plumville is a love story about two people who knew they were each other's happy endings from a very young age. But society and the stupid notions of color, race, and what should and shouldn't be done managed to stand in their way for fifteen and more years.

Savannah J. Frierson takes the reader back to the late 1960s in the South where there is hope of things changing, but a lot of blood, sweat and tears will be expended to make things better. This is a world in which skin color dictates
Romance Novels in Color

You know when you find a book that speaks to you, and you're like *gasp* "OH MY GAWD! THIS IS GREAT!!!"

That's Being Plumville for me. I don't know of many IR/MC readers who haven't read it. If you're one of the few who haven't, hopefully, I can persuade you to pick it up.

Benjamin (aka Benny) Drummond and Coralee (aka Ceelee) Simmons grew up together in Plumville Georgia, and they were inseparable. You see, Coralee's mom (Patty) worked for Benny's parents. Kids, kids are smart. Children will adap
Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva
Another instance where I wish there were half stars because I'd give this a 3.5 edging toward 4.

I'm surprised I didn't like it more, but the reasons I didn't are pretty understandable considering my romance novel proclivities. Its VERY well written, which is not suprising coming from Frierson. My lack of enjoyment was more tied to the unavoidable angst tied to the subject matter and the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of time spent on the ROMANCE and relationship progression. it was more the
Gisele Walko
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-to-z-challenge
This book is absolutely Amazing! Very sweet and romantic. I was just grinning at the screen throughout most of the book. Stayed up late to finish. Loved the writing and I'm so grateful to have met my hubby in 1999. The 60s was something else.
♡Meme♡Reads love♡
I just finished this last week and my oh my what a great love story.
Ben and Ceelee childhood best friends that were separated young to meet up again
in college to become BFF's again as well as loves of each other's lives. This story was wonderful.
Set in 1960 living in a southern small town this interracial couple go through a lot to be together
But the love they both had for each other is what good romance reading is all about Ben, WOW that Ben he was amazing and a true gentleman and Ceelee had
SassyMama
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
WOW...what a HIGHLY emotional roller coaster ride...this book evokes so many emotions...it makes you angry, makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you sigh, and makes you think...this is the third book I've read by Savannah J. Frierson...and it is DEFINITELY my favorite of the three...a strong and TOUCHING storyline...an engaging and MEMORABLE well-developed cast of characters...and some SURPRISING and unexpected twists that keep me turning the pages to see what will become of Benjamin and Corale ...more
Diana
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
So, I was writing an awesome review and a storm came in and knocked my power out. Anyway, here it goes. This is exactly the kind of book I have been waiting on. The real grittiness of an interracial relationship. The N-word, the eroticism of Black women, the disgust and bigotry of both races towards the couple in love... This is what all the other interracial novels lack. They make it too pretty, the discrimination is nothing more than a snarled lip or an icy attitude from someone's mother. But ...more
Deloris
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this story it as sweet . for the second time
aquarius
One of the sweetest read ever.. This is a full 5 star book for me. I loved the romance between Ben and Cora. This book captured me from the beginning till the end. Oh and what an end this was, this book had one of the best epilogues ever. It was such an wonderful end for them and just how I pictured it. I recommend this book for every romance lovers.

My Casting:

Coralee:

description

Benjamin:

description
Mercedes Keyes
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It is simply splendid, gave a review for it at Amazon.co.uk. It's been a long time since I could get a book and really enjoy it, with a longing to keep reading it, finish it, this book gave me that feeling because I'm not that easy to please. Well done Savannah!
Fashionista
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I'M SOOOOOOOOOO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK! MS. FRIERSON DOES IT AGAIN!!!!;-)
Deviki
Arghhh I've been naughty ........I should be reading another book, but I got a lil bored with it and decided to read something "light". Oh Boy, this was not a "light" book, at all.

Alright then, the actual rating for this book is 3 1/2 stars. I wish I can give it a higher rating, but I felt like the book didn't quite provided me with a "satisfying" conclusion or closure that I needed. There were some parts in the book that I felt like it rushed over and other parts where I think if it was snipped
Anino
I totally loved this book! It was sweet and a little spicy. Being her first novel, I could tell that this was a labor of love for Ms. Frierson... I am so glad that after I read Aj & Trolling Nights by Savannah J. Frierson , I went back and read this gem of a novel :-)
Joshua
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Being Plumville deserves every word of the great word of mouth that led me to read it. This period novel about Ben and Coralee, a white man and black woman in the 1940's, is an excellent examination of what interracial couples had to endure and serves as a lesson to those of us now who take the freedom to openly love whomever you wish for granted.
Tony
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-list
Wow! I picked this up thinking I would just read a couple chapters before bed and finish it later but I could not put it down. It was so much more then the synopsis implied and even with its heady subject matter it wasn't a difficult read. A love story yes, but there were also some very profound observations made.
Monique
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon (or eventually). It would have been a five-star read, but I took off a point because...well, you'll have to wait for the full review to find out. However, with that said, this is definitely a keeper for interracial romance aficionados.
Loni
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is now one of my all time favorites. The emotions expressed in this story are very well developed and believable. Love, love, love it. It epitomizes a true love story.
Alana Jackman
Was the best IR book to date that I have read.
Benita Vehnom  Ruiz
Wow just WOW. I bow down to you Savannah, such a great love story. Review coming soon
Alvinia Dean
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was inspired by this book. I truly felt the love. Great wriiting!!
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I met this very young author at the Black Ink author festival in Charleston, SC last month, and after hearing her answers to some very excellent panel discussion questions, I put her book on hold at the public library. She says that her books are self published.
The setting and characters in her novel totally entranced me. "Romance" or "love story" are not genres that I read, but this book did not read like a formula novel (which is what I always think that the romance genre implies.)
The author i
SL Gibson
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is absolutely rare for me to read books at home, I read to escape. I love the way I can disappear at the start of a bus journey and pop back into the real world at the end. Being Plumville came everywhere with me until I finished.

This is a beautiful very well written historical love story by SJF which captures the essence of the time it was based in (though, unfortunately, still very reflective of modern times). It will take you into the world, lives and hearts of the characters and you will
Diana
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant Read

Wow....this is the first book I have read by this author and I am really glad I did, I absolutely loved it.

An intense read with heavy subject matter that makes you stop reading from time to time, to ponder each moment. Realistically written with memorable characters and family unit that I think about even though I've finished reading it.

Amazingly detailed, interwoven and a well developed story that unfolds slowly and take the reader on such an emotional journey. The dialogue is con
Sharon Hammonds
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Love Story

This was the most beautiful love story I've read to date. It was so innocent and sweet. The love scenes were pure and at times so cute. I fell in love with Benny and Ceelee. The symbolism of her attack by one white and one black guy shows how no one race is without fault. I swooned for them and my heart broke for them. I was ok with the ending and thought it was fitting. Thank you Savannah. This won't be my last reading of your work.
carol b. altemus
May 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy the book. From the description and 4 stars I expected more than a long, drawn out romance. I read about 1/3 and skimmed the rest so I would have something to say in our library book club. We chose the book primarily because it was in the always available section of the ebooks. I don't select books from Goodreads based on stars because I have frequently been disappointed. This book might appeal to a Young Adult demographic but was not identified as such.
Connie S. Jones
Being Plumville

This is my first time reading the writings of Savannah Frierson. It was a good story with good characters. Benjamin and Carolee stole my heart. To love and have to walk away from it. I don't think so. I was so proud the fight the two of them put up. I'm sure there are many out there that had to fight because of the color of their skin.
Latoya Brown
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected treasure

I was in a book slump when I bought this book and I have no regrets. I was also reading at a time of unrest when the world joined the fight for black lives matter. Even though it's fiction it gave me hope that things can and will change if we just love each unconditionally and fight for that. Love can build a bridge.
Onesmartcooky
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At Last...

Great story. Bennie and Ceelee. Beautiful character. Very tender and poignant with cause race relations. We would like to say can we all get along, but sometimes that does work. Life experience and love causes one to come into wisdom.
Janet Riggs
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

The book was fantastic. Characters where amazing, made me feel sad to think how awful it must have been back then. Ms. Frierson has just joined a group of my favorite authors.
Lisa Johnson
Beautiful love story

It stirred all of my emotions. I laughed, cried, and rooted for the love of this couple. When real love is tested, love wins. A page turned with surprises that tug on your heartstrings.
« previous 1 3 next »
Fans of Interraci...: Being Plumville 29 131 Jan 03, 2015 01:28PM
Great read... characters you'll really come to care about 2 27 Apr 03, 2013 11:17AM

• The Grunt 1 (The Lonely Hearts, #3)
  • Dmitry's Closet (The Medlov Crime Family, #1)
  • Alpha
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Mr. Vega
  • The Ugly Girlfriend (The Lonely Hearts, #1)
  • An Arrangement of Love (Chasing Love, #1)
  • The Bravest Hero (Curvy Girls Club #2)
  • Holt, Her Ruthless Billionaire: 50 Loving States-Connecticut (Ruthless Tycoons Book 1)
  • Dirty Kisses (The Lion and the Mouse #1)
  • Admit It (Sinclair Series #2)
  • The Question
  • Juicy
  • When We Kissed
  • When Art Rises (Living in Cin, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • The Book of Adam and Jo: an Interracial Literary Romance
  • Romancing Tommy Gabrini 1
Based out of Charleston, South Carolina, RWA-PAN member Savannah J. Frierson is a USA TODAY best-selling and award-winning author who crafts full, happily-ever-afters for readers who believe transcendent love is worth the wait. Savannah taps into women’s softness to show this vulnerability as a strength to be embraced and celebrated. Savannah’s characters find empowerment through love, and she hop ...more