Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Welcome to Our Group > Introduce yourself

Comments (showing 1-50 of 3,786) (3786 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 75 76

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2354 comments Mod
Hey everyone! My name is Angie and I love Stephen King books. There was a time where that was all I was reading.. so I had to start branching out. I do have a goal to read everything he has written!

message 2: by Kasie (last edited Jul 29, 2008 10:35AM) (new)

Kasie | 24 comments nice goal!! me name is kasie i wuv to read stephen king books i just got done reading cell.i have a choosen few of my fav. writers too

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Hi my name is Tim or Mole if you prefer and ive read almost all his books except Duma Key and some others i found on GR i didnt know exsisted,but a majority of them are read and my favorites are The Dark Tower series and The Stand!

message 4: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments Hi I'm Hayley and my Stephen King obsession started when I was in my early teen's and got hold of my mum's copy of Gerald's Game. I have now made it my goal, just like Angie, to read everything he has written.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments Hello, I'm Dan.

A while back my girlfriend bought me a paperback of copy of 'IT'. It stemmed from there and I haven't looked back since. The peak of my King obsession was completing The Dark Tower. I can't say enough good things about that series.

message 6: by Shane (new)

Shane (TheMrE) I'm Shane. I first started reading Stephen King as a teenager in 1983. I quickly read all his books that had been released, and by 1984 I was anxiously awaiting each new release and have been ever since. I've read every King book that has been published, and I try to read his stories anyplace I can find them. I don't think any of his books are bad - unlike some folks on here. I don't think we are good enough to judge his works as good or bad. I will admit some are better than others, but they are all remarkable stories. My life truly changed when I read the final Dark Tower book. Roland and his ka-tet had been my friends for 20 years so it was difficult for that saga to end.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I feel the same way shane we have a gunslinger disscusion if you would like to contribute,and i agree all kings books are good 2 me

message 8: by Kathy (last edited Oct 11, 2008 04:45PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Hey everyone, I'm Kathy. My first Stephen King book was Pet Semetary when I was 15. I was hooked from then on. I have read 39 of his books so far, but am still missing some. Every year I try to read a few more than I've missed and anything new that he has put out so I can get to my goal....which is just like so many of you.....to read all of his books! It's a fun ride, I can tell you! I love everything he's written. Sure, some I may like more, but there isn't anything I don't like of his! I've hunted down everything, including his older ones in hardcover, the only one I haven't been able to get is Six Stories....and since I've seen that for $600 plus at times on eBay....unless I win the lottery, that won't be in my collection. :( . My favorite books of his are The Stand and The The Dark Tower Series (of course).

message 9: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Hi all - Mr. King is a genius. I've loved his books (most of them) since I first picked one up. I'm pretty sure it was Christine. As a teen I think I reread everything he wrote at that time (80s') more than once. I remember getting It for Christmas, and I stayed in my room until it was finished--we all know how thick that one is! There were a few years where I never had time to read, so I'm catching up now. The Stand is one of my all time favorites, but it's hard to pick just one. I've not read any Dark Tower yet, but it is on the list.

message 10: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 24 comments i don't think i have a fav. book of his..they're all different in their own way

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Fitzwater (safitzwater) | 6 comments Hey everyone, My name is Stephen and I've been hooked on Stephen King since I read Christine. Currently I'm reading Wizard and Glass which I am really enjoying so far. Oh by the way I'm 28 and live near Daytona Beach, Florida.

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akaGunslinger) Hey everyone. I'm Dan.

I the first King book I ever read was Eyes of the Dragon, followed closesly behind by Pet Semetary. Since then, I've probably read twenty of his books. The Stand and Salem's Lot are both really good but my favorite by far is The Dark Tower series. I took days off work when each of the last three came out. Since then, the Dark Tower is the measuring stick against which I judge most other books.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Hey Rob! I love all of King's books. Even when some people have been saying that he hasn't been as good after his accident....I completely disagree. The Cell, and Duma Key are just some of his newer ones that I would highly recommend! And if you haven't read his Dark Tower series.....you have to! I can't imagine someone being a King fan and not reading those. They are so important to his "universe"! Most of his books relate in some way to that world!

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) The first SK book I read was Cujo when I was 10. I've been a fan ever since.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments The accident was a few years ago maybe 7-8 years ago not positive but that feels right and Cell isnt a bad read!But you really should check out The Dark Tower series he wasnt just putting out a book there he crafted it with his finest it was his Masterpiece i believe! Just give a try the 1st one isnt very long less than 300 pages. I dont think you will regret it there awesome

message 16: by Kasie (last edited Aug 05, 2008 11:42AM) (new)

Kasie | 24 comments rob cell is a must!!!! it's very good thought it took me 5 months to read it and i will have to pick up on duma key because i kinda let that one go

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Thats understandable buddy. oh and ive already posted but cant resist Hi im Mole,And im addicted to Reading! Hi Mole, I have a book problem I cant stop myself so many books only 2 eyes and arms !

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Lol. But Tim (Mole) are books really a problem? ;) If it is, sign me up for rehab right now! We'll have it in a library! :)

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert (RestlessStranger) | 37 comments rob,

duma key may not look interesting but dont overlook it... I liked that book 10 times more than cell. Cell is ok, i liked it but a lot of constant readers dont seem to that much and it was tons better than sk's " my best book " (so he says) - liseys story... which was not that good IMO

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert (RestlessStranger) | 37 comments mole,

i think that a few hundred pages of the first book isnt enough for some people to get hooked... I remember being drawn to it but listening to book 2 'for the sake of it' and because it followed on & that stephen king rules... the second book however got me hooked and was in love by the third :D

rob

message 21: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Alicia here and have been a Stephen King fan since the Jr high.The first book I read by him was The Dead Zone.Have loved him ever since.My faves are The Shining,Misery,It,The Stand,Salem's Lot,Carrie.I also really like Cell and need to pick up Lisey's Story got 100 pages in and had to give it back to the library before it got good.Or so i'm told.I have many more to read because for awhile i kind of stopped and got burned out on him.I have never been a fan of many of his shhort stories there are only a handful i like.I also tried to get into the Dark Tower series but am not a big fantasy or sci/fi person.

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve | 241 comments S'pose I should say hi here, too. I make it a point to read all SK works...although I'm not sure if I ever will jump into that baseball one he did recently...but I have been a fan since 1982 or so, when I dared myself to read The Shining...a borrowed copy from my English teacher's "borrow/return on your honor" bookshelf.

I also read John Barth, James Joyce, Thomas Pynchon, Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves", the Harry Potter series, Nicholson Baker, Wilton Barnhardt, and other fun but difficult writers.

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments My name is Kelly and I've read most of Stephen Kings novels, one in German even, and on more than one occasion 2 or 3 times per book. The Talisman is by far one of my favorites, but I just reread the tower series for the umpteenth time...then there's the Stand. So many...so little time :)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa_inthestars) Hi, I'm Lisa and I live in Scotland. I've been a Stepehen King fan since I was a teenager (almost 20 years now - ouch!) although I can't remember which book I read first strangely enough. I try to read all his books and I'm right there on the waiting list for any new releases. I do have quite a few older ones to catch up on though (like Cujo and Tommyknockers). I LOVED the gunslinger series, IT, The Stand, The Shining and in fact most of his novels. However I didn't so much love "The girl who loved Tom Gordon", "Cell" or "Lisey's Story". But I find that for everyone one I didn't like, someone else loved it. Recently I've really enjoyed both Blaze and Duma Key which I bought on the same day but which were written many years apart. King is definitely my favourite author - genius!

message 25: by Dylan (last edited Aug 03, 2008 09:43AM) (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 34 comments Hi, My name's Dylan. I'm kinda new to Stephen Kings books but not his movies. I love the movies and that's why I've started reading his books. I'm in the process of reading Salem's Lot and I LOVE IT! It's so much better than the movie. I've also got Firestarter, The Stand, The Shining, Cell, and The Dead Zone on my to read list. My favorite King Movie is It, so I really want to read that. Hope I can get some good suggestions to read from you guys! :D

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Little buddy you pick up any S.K book and you will be pleasd he's a bad man with a twisted mind and a little boys heart!(on his desk) lol

message 27: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 34 comments Yeah, right now I'm stiking to Salem's Lot! I need to finish it.

message 28: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Welcome everyone!~!

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Hey, Dylan! Welcome to the club. What I wouldn't give to be able to rediscover Stephen King all over again! What fun! I would recommend (eventually) The Stand and the Dark Tower Series! You have plenty of time, though. Enjoy Salem's Lot! I love that one as well. I recently reread that and it was just as great the second time around!

message 30: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 23 comments Hey, I'm Julianne. I started reading Stephen King in middle school (I think) with The Eyes of the Dragon. My cousin got me into the books.

I like King's short stories, have a preference for those written after he got clean (until I read On Writing I didn't understand where my preference line ran), and would say my favorite (though I haven't read it in 10+ years) is Salem's Lot. Just finished From a Buick 8 and look forward to jumping all the way back to The Dead Zone (written the year I was born!!)

message 31: by Andy (new)

Andy Hi I'm Andy and have been a huge King fan for a decade now. I started with The Shinning and am just finishing up Duma Key. I have read (and loved) almost all of his earlier works with The Stand, Christine, 'Salem's Lot and Carrie among my favorites.

message 32: by Shane (new)

Shane (TheMrE) Well I am off to find a Stephen King FAN group. You kids have fun hating on the man. Maybe you should change the group name to avoid confusion however. Happy reading; or wait, I mean happy complaining!

message 33: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Aug 16, 2008 02:36PM) (new)

What is going on Shane? I think this is a good group where everyone should be able to post their opinions on the books by King. I looked around and didn't see anything offensive. There is a topic called "New Moderator" where I ask for suggestions or complaints to make the group better so put any suggestions there. I want this group to be fun. Feel free to join in the monthly book discussions that we are trying out. Maybe that will make it more fun for you.

message 34: by Shane (last edited Aug 16, 2008 09:14AM) (new)

Shane (TheMrE) No offense Angie. When I started this group it was for fans, not every Tom Dick and Harry who thinks he has an opinion after reading two books. I guess if bashing Stephen King, saying his stories suck, complaining about his characters is fun for you then yes, this is your group. However when I started the group it was for FANS. People who LIKE STEPHEN KING. A place for people who ENJOY the man's works to chat together. Not a place for people to bash him. When certain members of this group start publishing their own stories and have every one of them be a commercial success, then I'll join THEIR fan groups and let everyone know how much they suck, whether I've read the stuff or not. But please have fun. There are other groups than these.

message 35: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments I think your being rather unfair Shane, I love Stephen King but I didn't like Dreamcatcher, I thought it wasn't his best but it didn't stop me reading him. It the same for a lot of things I love Bon Jovi but some of their stuff I don't rate but I would never stop listening to them.

Angie your right that people should be able to have their opinion - whatever happened to free speech!!!!!

Abigail (42stitches) | 19 comments Hello! I'm very new to this site. So I thought I'd pop in here. Been a little confused as to where there is hating, must be on a different thread, ne? I have to agree, while I love most of Stephen King's work, there are a few that I disliked immensely. You can be a fan and still dislike some of it. Ever read The colorado kid?
Happy reading!
^^

message 37: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments Welcome Abigail, as you'll see we all love SK and there is a thread about the least favourite King book. I've never read The Colorado Kid, thats another to add to my TBR list.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I agree there have been a few bashers but i for one love Stephen King!Everyone is entitled to there own, Hello there Abigail and welcome i dont get this guy either!And hello to everyone else to havent been on lately ive been missing my GR alot

message 39: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments hey Mole, does feel like you've been missing - no one King bashes really they just have their least favourite books lol Shane's comments really pissed me off though, could you tell lol

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Yea your a regular Tiger ive just been working alot and got ten new books so Ive had my hands full whats new with Ms.Mee

message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments not much I was out on the town last nite but it was quite dead but on the plus my best friend was home so we lived it up.

it just annoys me when people don't appricate other people's opinions, I mean what would the world be like if we all liked the same thing - it would be very boring:{

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I know he was being a little obtuse i just think he's a tad bit over protective!lol

message 43: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments haha I know, well if wants a different groups that up to him but I like our little SK world adn find everyone's opinion fitting and it means my TBR list is bursting with SK books I haven't read them yet lol

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Thats right tell him dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!And i agree i like our little group alot! WE KICK ASS!lol

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Whats new in our other groups?

message 46: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments not much, I had a bit of a rant in TNBBC about freedom of speech, spawned by our 'friend' shane, you should see it, I think its got people talking lol

Yes, we do KICK ASS and that all thanks to Angie cos she rules:D

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Right on!Ill have to go check it out and put in my 2 cents!lol

message 48: by Hayley (new)

Hayley  | 83 comments hehe everybody else is and they are all in the same vain lol

message 49: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Aug 16, 2008 03:07PM) (new)

Welcome everyone! This thread might be a little confusing right now but it is still the welcome thread. We got a little off topic. :) I am glad for all constant readers who gather here.

Long days and pleasant nights!

Thanks Haley ;)

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Sorry Angie! I star ranting sometimes!lol

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 75 76
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Skeleton Crew (other topics)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (other topics)
Cell (other topics)
The Eyes of the Dragon (other topics)
Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.C. De La Torre (other topics)
Thomas Harris (other topics)
Ian D.G. Sandusky (other topics)
Joe Hill (other topics)
A. Rosaria (other topics)
More...