Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I have a burning question...(about books, not a medical condition) (not book burning)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I've got approximately 55 books listed on my profile as read, or currently reading. I have no books listed as to be read.

When I joined Goodreads last year, it was primarily to list the books that the book club I belong to (The Syndicate) has read. Then I joined "Modern Literature List" group and added the books that I had read that was on that list. My approach to adding books has sort of been "from the day I joined onward".

How do you approach your book shelves on Goodreads? Have you added every book you've read? Do you have any criteria for the books you add?

Okay, so it isn't a burning question. Curious minds just want to know.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've added every book that I could remember reading. Every once in a while I'll see someone listing a book, and recall that I, too, have read it some time in the dark past.

message 3: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I've added all the books I've read in the past two years and the handful I could remember from my childhood.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Same as Larry.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Same as Sarah Pi. The only books on my to-read shelf are ones I actually own.

message 6: by Spellbound (new)

Spellbound (spellboundreads) | 117 comments I've added almost all the books I own, those that are listed in Goodreads anyway, in the desperate attempt to order my phisical bookshelves. Needless to say the shelves are still a mess but I enjoy the websites and the chance to stumble upon books I wouldn't otherwise get to know.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh, my to-read shelf is different. It is a magical wish list and as such includes things I own, things I want to own, and things I will probably never think about again but if someone gave them to me I would happily sit down and read them (or shelf them to read someday).

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) My to-read shelf is a gauge that tells me how close I'm getting to being a book hoarder. I keep toying with the idea of a wish list shelf.

message 9: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Larry wrote: "I've added every book that I could remember reading. Every once in a while I'll see someone listing a book, and recall that I, too, have read it some time in the dark past."

Me too.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments It's a good question, Janice. I think there's actually no rhyme or reason to why I add certain books I've read and not others. There are many on my shelves at home that aren't on my Goodreads shelves. I usually just add books that I'm currently reading, but only if I think they might be of general interest (or semi-general interest). I have to read a lot of very obscure stuff for work and seldom bother adding any of that to my GR shelves.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Sarah Pi wrote: "Oh, my to-read shelf is different. ..."

I own around 50-60 books in various formats to read. I do have them listed on my iPad so that I avoid buying duplicates. I've already done that a couple of times. I have two copies of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Lovely Bones". I forget I have them, see them in the store and think, "Oh gee, I've always wanted to read this book!"

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Dan wrote: "My to-read shelf is a gauge that tells me how close I'm getting to being a book hoarder. I keep toying with the idea of a wish list shelf."

I think I'm there already. Is there a "Book Hoarders Anonymous" group on GR's?

I'm addicted to buying books and fabric.

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments when i first created this profile on goodreads i added a few random books i'd read just so it wouldn't be empty. a few months ago i started adding all of the books i was reading, before that sometimes i did and sometimes i didn't. i'm thinking of restarting my 'read' shelf.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I should add that I do at least a couple of lines of review for every new book that I read, but that I don't do that when I come across an older book I had forgotten I'd read.

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments this thread title makes me want to advise you to see a doctor.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) heh heh yeah

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) janine wrote: "this thread title makes me want to advise you to see a doctor."

I see it's been fixed. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've pretty much added what I've read in the past year. Every so often a book will come to mind from a couple of years back and I'll add it with a back-date. Otherwise, I leave most of my older reads off, otherwise I'd have to add hundreds from my childhood.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I add those books I see in a list that I recall reading. there are tons I have no memory of. my potato chip books. a/k/a "BART/MUNI" books that I would read while riding mass transit to/from work. a paperback you would not mind losing on the streetcar.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) BART/MUNI...

I sense a Bay Area person.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments When I first joined, I added some favorite books, but that's not even a percent of what I've ever read. Then from there I add what I've written personally (unless I've forgotten one or two), but not professionally.

message 22: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Janice, good questions! My "read" list is most of the books currently in my home. There are still (quite) a few un-archived boxes. My "to-read" list is a combination of books I've bought or brought home from the library and wishlist.

Yes, I'm a hoarder.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
I don't add books that I've had to read for work or professional reasons. Or any books that could identify me more than I want to be identified.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't add books I wish I hadn't bothered to read. I recently read a really trashy romance novel because I promised the author I would. Holy dog dooie it was bad. She asked me to tell her what I thought once I finished. I really hope she forgets about it, there weren't few enough stars to give it a rating.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Holy dog dooie.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

...and?

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A cute saying.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I have thousands of them. :D

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I only add books that I've read since joining Goodreads, and not even all of those make it online (sometimes I just forget).

A couple of my friends joined as well, and they seem to be adding everything they've read since birth.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And your point would be ....

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil likes to do things differently.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Is it normal to have books that you KNOW you added as read go missing from your shelves??

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Someone stole your books, bunny?

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Stacia, I spent 18 years in San Francisco and truly left my heart there. My son is still there and tells me of his adventures on MUNI all the time.

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i am reworking my profile now and listing every book i've read in 2010 (working on july now). i've deleted everything that was on it that i'd read before. i will also be creating a to-read shelf which i will fill with books i already own or have checked out from the library but haven't read yet.

message 37: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 18, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Michele wrote: "Stacia, I spent 18 years in San Francisco and truly left my heart there. My son is still there and tells me of his adventures on MUNI all the time."

That's way cooler than my childhood in the Richmond/San Pablo area. I moved up to Vacaville in High School and ended up spending more time in the greater Sacramento area from then on. Now I'm in Colorado and I still get homesick every so often, but hey, at least I can look out my window and see the Rockies, which is pretty sweet.

I feel sorry for all the young kids that want to sneak out on their parents and go on adventures and don't have a BART train to hop on at their convenience. (kidding)

I was 13 when I took the BART late at night with a friend from El Cerrito all over the Bay Area, getting off in Oakland, Berkley, and San Francisco. Once, we got off at the wrong stop and was told kindly but firmly by a concerned man that we should turn around and get back on the train if we "didn't want any trouble." Good lord, we could have been killed.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I spent a month in Vacaville one week. No, seriously, it's not that bad.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Wait...a month in one week?

Excuse me a moment while I try to process this.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There's another thread about how time can sometimes slow down ....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.