Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Which should I read first?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lola (last edited Dec 04, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Lola (llhlola) | 9 comments I am fairly new to Goodreads, and I just purchased a bunch of ebooks. I am wondering which one to start first:

1. The Iron Duke
2. The City of Bones
3. Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers
4. The Light of Asteria
5. Grave Witch
6. Storm Glass
7. Clockwork Angel

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments City of Bones!! Clockwork Angel is best read after you read all three of the Mortal Instruments books (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass) as it is a prequel to them. I have read the three four times and will read them again...and own the audio CD's.

message 3: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments City of bones!

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora Savchova (luxuria) | 313 comments City of Bones! Absolutely. And then the next two and Clockwork Angel.
Haven't really read the others, except for Storm Glass and it was good, but CoB is exceptional.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments I liked Grave Witch.

JESSICA ~Snuggly Bear Paws~ (brenian) Llhgrey wrote: "I am fairly new to Goodreads, and I just purchased a bunch of ebooks. I am wondering which one to start first:

1. The Iron Duke
2. The City of Bones
3. Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers
4. The..."

Clockwork Angel

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Just curious. Why would you read Clockwork Angel before City of Bones and the next two? I know it pre-dates them a century, but there are things in there that readers of the trilogy know and a reader of CA would not. There is much more Shadowhunter history in the MI books, explanation of the runes, etc. that is not totally explained in CA.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) The only one I've read is Storm Glass and City of Bones. Storm Glass was good but City of Bones I didn't care for.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Just curious. Why would you read Clockwork Angel before City of Bones and the next two? I know it pre-dates them a century, but there are things in there that readers of the trilogy know and a re..."

I agree! City of Bones has my vote!

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` City of Bones for sure.

message 11: by Keri (new)

Keri | 50 comments On Cassandra Clare's website she states that the books of the two series should be read in the order they were written: CoB, CoA, CoG, Clockwork, MI, TID, MI, TID, MI. Just thought I'd throw that out there. And I agree City of Bones is great.

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 89 comments I'm going to break with the rest of the group and suggest you settle in with THE IRON DUKE. Not a quick read, but a phenomenal book.

message 13: by Lola (new)

Lola (llhlola) | 9 comments Thanks for your input!

message 14: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments I would go with " The City of Bones" first but that's just me.

message 15: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (ebynicki) | 6 comments City Of Bones is GREAT i am now reading it for the 3rd time :]!!!! Clockwork Angel is my next read after the Mortal Instruments

message 16: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments City of Bones is great!

message 17: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments I agree I found it better than the other two. But the last one was pretty good.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I know everyone feels differently about books, but I felt like each one was better than the one before and City of Glass was my favorite. They sucked me in from the very beginning and I never tire of re-reading them - or listening to my audio.

message 19: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I agree, the only thing that kinda sucks on the audio and the punch lines aren't quite right. I crack up when I'm reading them way more then when I'm listening to the audiobooks